Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers (17147 Views)

Jonathan Must Speak On Dasuki Scandal – PDP / BUHARI CERTIFICATE SCANDAL: We, Muslims Must Speak Up Now -by Umar Abubakar, Phd / CERTIFICATE SCANDAL: We, Muslims Must Speak Up Now - By Umar Abubakar, Phd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by omicron(m): 1:36pm On Aug 10, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan should make known the position of his government on the secession threatsby Niger Delta groups and attempt by Bayelsa State government to unveil new flag, Kaduna-based lawyer Yahaya Mahmood (SAN) has said.

The factional leader of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), Dr Goodluck Diigbo and Niger Delta militant leader Asari Dokubo have threatenedsecession and war in the country.

He said, “The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which remains our Supreme Law defines Nigeria as one indivisible and indissoluble Sovereign Nation. Each public officer and political office holder also took oath of allegiance tothe Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“It is time for President Jonathan to come out categorically to tell the nation if he wants us to remain as one united country.

“The President must categorically caution Dr Goodluck Diigbo who wassaid to have declared Ogoni self-government and Asari Dokubo for his threat of war. The President must also caution Bayelsa State Governor and the State Assembly. People are beginning to think that those threatening our unity are the real people behind the ‘real boko Haram’ - which attack mosques and churches, kill Christian and Moslems. Not those being accused by elder Clark.”

Also reacting, constitutional lawyer Fred Agbaje (SAN) described attempts by the Bayelsa State government to change the flag and anthem as the beginning of secession, describing it as “an affront on the Constitution.”

Agbaje, who spoke from London yesterday, said the move could mark the beginning of secession.

“When an item is not on the concurrent list can a state legislate on it ? The issue of a State flag and anthem are not issues on the concurrent list; the state government cannot make a law on flags,” Agbaje said.

The President of Flag Foundation of Nigeria, Barrister Agiri Chris, said by implication, what the state was asking for is autonomy which has to do with true federalism where federating states can run their affairs, citing State Police as an example.

He noted that Lagos State government has also adopted a seal of government but added that that does not take the place of the national flag.

However, a professor of Law Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN) said that the state was only expressing what it was entitled to in a true federal system.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/174104-jonathan-must-speak-on-bayelsa-new-flag-thats-how-secession-begins-lawyers

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by olugbemi4u: 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2012
I think the wave of disintergration has started under the leadership of President Jonathan because of inability to do the thing as d right.nIGERIA IS IN SHAMBLE AND WOOBLE

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Dainfamous: 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
olugbemi4u: I think the wave of disintergration has started under the leadership of President Jonathan because of inability to do the thing as d right.nIGERIA IS IN SHAMBLE AND WOOBLE
What!are you scared?what is your fear?

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by omicron(m): 1:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
olugbemi4u: I think the wave of disintergration has started under the leadership of President Jonathan because of inability to do the thing as d right.nIGERIA IS IN SHAMBLE AND WOOBLE

just as time and chance had it that Pontius Pilate would authorize the crucification of Christ, so it is for GEJ. The thick wave of disintegration has long spread through the foundations of Nigeria. It did not begin today. That is not to exonerate GEJ from the part he is currently playing....or will likely play....if he fails to summon courage and do what is right.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Biggyd2: 2:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
Now where is the one that says he is not the governments attack dog and his friend? They shouldn't "give a damn" o. Whether they like it or not, whatever happens in Bakassi will affect Nigeria. They should keep on keeping quiet and watching events unfold.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by omicron(m): 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
Biggyd2: Now where is the one that says he is not the governments attack dog and his friend? They shouldn't "give a damn" o. Whether they like it or not, whatever happens in Bakassi will affect Nigeria. They should keep on keeping quiet and watching events unfold.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by omicron(m): 2:32pm On Aug 10, 2012
Biggyd2: Now where is the one that says he is not the governments attack dog and his friend? They shouldn't "give a damn" o. Whether they like it or not, whatever happens in Bakassi will affect Nigeria. They should keep on keeping quiet and watching events unfold.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Dainfamous: 2:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
eeemmmmh how about ogonis,are they out from Nigeria finally?? i want to see ogoni currency grin it might be stronger than naira no doubt....
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Biggyd2: 2:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
Sorry people, kindly disregard my post above. It was meant for another thread, thanks.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Biggyd2: 2:51pm On Aug 10, 2012
omicron:

Sorry about that!

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by hammedkola(m): 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2012
Where is the flag?
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by ocelot2006(m): 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2012

The nation's unity is very much intact.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by jjmk(m): 3:48pm On Aug 10, 2012
Why must Jonathan speak? when other states were creating their own colours and flags, where were these Lawyers? They should just shut it!!!

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by gsmgold: 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2012
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by duality(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2012
lets stay as one ... them go shout.

ok, lets disintegrate... them go shout.

well i don't give a damn.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Pukkah: 3:59pm On Aug 10, 2012
What's this lawyer talking about? I don't see anything wrong in what the Bayelsa state government has done (new flag and anthem). Is Nigeria not a Federation? Is a state within the Federation not entitled to its seal, flag and anthem?

I think more states should begin to demand for what they are entitled to under this federal arrangement, from true political federalism to true fiscal federalism.

Also, if we must take it further, shouldn't a state or part of a state have the right to leave a country and stand alone or join another country? Shouldn't this be the ultimate expression of the fundamental human right of freedom of association?

Shouldn't a democratic constitution spell out the conditions to be met for part of a country that wants to leave or for another state in another country that wants to join the country? Why can't there be a constitutional right of secession?

These are some of the fundamental questions which are beginning to stare us all in the face.

Every part of Nigeria is complaining of marginalization or one thing or the other. Is any part of Nigeria fulfilled or happy with the union? Is it not high time we addressed the basis of togetherness or express that ultimate freedom of association?

6 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2012
How does Bayelsa adopting their own flag translates to Separation?

And why shouldn't Ogoni try to break fromt his cesspits called nigeria? Atleast the declaration woke this greedy, uncaring bastard from their corruption dream. See them trying to clean Ogoniland after declaration. grin
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Afam4eva(m): 4:04pm On Aug 10, 2012
I really don't know if the constitutional makes the provision for a state to have a flag or any item that's typical of a state(country). isn't there any lawyer or constitution aficionado who can enlighten us on what the constitution thinks about the action of Bayelsa state.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by authenticblack: 4:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
Why do we complain about nothing,a state want their flag,anthem and logo,what is the big deal.Lagos state has it all and make laws that did not tally with Fed laws,we complained and was told to leave the state if we can't comply.Let Bayesans be and let Niger delta be
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Parnassuss(m): 4:11pm On Aug 10, 2012
This is not news abeg! Just goes to show that every Dickk, Dickky and Dicktaker can be conferred with the title of SAN without knowing squat! What's a flag got to do with separation, when we are a Federal system? Also I am all for ignoring that blood Diigbo, replying him will give him credibilty and that's what GEJ can't afford now. Better to arrange one road accident for him.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Donbrig: 4:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
This is the beginning of true federalism and a new Nigeria. Nigerians should not be afraid of disintegration, because Nigeria can never disintegrate. Soonest, every state will begin to decide their own future and destiny. The north should get ready on how to carry their own cross. Before 2015 Nigerians will see a new kind of Nigeria, I told you guys before that GEJ has a game plan and big surprise for all Nigerians, especially the north.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by spearman(m): 4:18pm On Aug 10, 2012
What is so bad about Nigeria disintegration? Nothing good came out of this union.

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Pukkah: 4:27pm On Aug 10, 2012
afam4eva: I really don't know if the constitutional makes the provision for a state to have a flag or any item that's typical of a state(country). isn't there any lawyer or constitution aficionado who can enlighten us on what the constitution thinks about the action of Bayelsa state.

Lawyers will argue back and forth and confuse everybody at the end of the day. Let's keep it simple. A federating unit (in this case, Bayelsa) wants to assert its sovereignty which does not run contrary to that of another federating unit.

The people of Bayelsa want their own seal and anthem without discarding the Nigerian anthem and flag, how does that amount to separation? Why are people looking for trouble where there is none?

By the way, how come the federating units in the first republic all had their flags and seals?

If Nigeria must remain as one, true federalism (political and fiscal) is the answer. Let the centre (federal goverment) be as weak and unattractive as possible and only be in charge of common issues [/b]like external defence, immigration, customs, central banking, foreign affairs, federal policing, possibly supreme court, etc. The federating units (states or regions) [b]should control their resources and contribute like 10-12% to the centre for the running of these common issues.

The federal government exists because the states exist and not the other way round.

Let this monthly 'begging' visits to Abuja in the name of lazily sharing federal allocations stop. Let each state/region work hard for its money. Let any state/region that wants to leave be free to leave. Let each state be free to practice Sharia if it wants. People should be free to have what they want if it is the wish of the majority. This is the essence of democracy.

Let's demystify all these things.

7 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by 9ja4eva: 4:27pm On Aug 10, 2012
spearman: What is so bad about Nigeria disintegration? Nothing good came out of this union.

True that
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by talktrue1(m): 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2012
This Governor Dickson is behaving like a Dick. breaking record in everything
He started by appointing 1st lady as Perm sec and now this. B4 he completes his stay in office, lots of things must have happened

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by Pukkah: 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
talk true: This Governor Dickson is behaving like a Dick. breaking record in everything
He started by appointing 1st lady as Perm sec and now this. B4 he completes his stay in office, lots of things must have happened

I did not agree with his appointment of Patience Jonathan as a Permanent Secretary but I have not seen what he has done wrong in this case.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by ajf(m): 4:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
Aboki don dey fear LMFAO!!!
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by klechie: 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2012
kke i will always say, true federalism, confederalism or division are the options open to us if we want to solve our national problem once and for all. i think we are heading to one of them and there is no problem.
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by lacasa: 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
i too love nigerians †ђat dnt αve time fσr useless rhetoric.

Ask the mumu presido, which way?

Is he an ojukwu-incarnate or is he a Zik type noble man.

Let Nigerians кησω as the President of a "country"

If na ϯo split, let it happen.

If na ϯo work fσr Nigeria, let it happen.

Uncle jona unto you cool

...(We await Abati with thee reply) grin
Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by SANCTO: 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2012
First,it was Biafra Flag replacing Nigerian Flag @ London now It is Bayelsan Flag. Lagos and Ondo already have their own flag. Oh God I pray thee let it come fast!!!. Let the Northern parasites go and concentrate on their Agriculture, Yorubas their OIL/Industry and Education, Igbos their Oil and Industrialization/Trade, then the Niger delta Republic, their God given Oil which the Hausas have been raping them of..........

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers by tnktosin(m): 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
The presido would simply say "I don't give a damn".
Why ask for his comment when we already know what he'd say?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Politicians, Pastors, Birds Of The Same Feathers / EFCC Quizzes Abba Moro, Ex-interior Minister, Over NIS Recruitment Saga / Unemployment Data: NBS DG, Yemi Kale Disowns Buhari And Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.