Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

African Fashion Week London 2012 - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / African Fashion Week London 2012 (8119 Views)

PHOTOS: 2015 Africa Fashion Week London / Tumisola Ladega 14-Year-Old Designer At Africa Fashion Week London. / African Fashion Week London 2013 To Hold In August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
African Fashion Week London entered its second year on 3-4 of August and was the idea of Nigerian entrepreneur – Ronke Ademiluyi. ‘My aim is to create more visibility for African designers and to create a one-stop shop for the public. We were expecting 500 people last year and almost 5000 turned up. It was something people had clearly been waiting for.’

This year, AFWL showcased 60 designers including Nigeria’s Adebayo Jones, known for his lavish evening and bridal wear. ‘As I was inspired by Yves Saint Laurent, I hope my participation will inspire young designers, he says. The best African designers balance global seasonal trends with an intelligent reimagining of indigenous fabrics and adornments.

Nigerian designer – Amaka Osakwe’s label, Maki Oh turns indigenous textiles into sensual pieces that evolve traditional dress practises. She launched in 2010 and her latest collection focuses on body-conscious silhouettes made from adire. ‘I want to make Nigerians aware of their own fabrics, which are infused with meanings that have been passed down through generations.’

Jeffrey Kimathi uses fibres of the baobab tree for his Jamhuri Wear luggage range. Ghana’s Aisha Obuobi launched Christie Brown in 2008 and has become Accra’s womenswear with detailing such as covered buttons, feathers and fringing. ‘My work is about the beauty of simplicity.

Celebrities like Kelis was spotted in a piece from Lisa Folawiyo’s label – Jewel by Lisa. Solange Knowles is a fan of Maki Oh and Michelle Obama is regularly seen wearing pieces by London-based Nigerian designer Duro Olowu.

The African fashion industry still faces challenges. There’s a lack of formal fashion education, which means there are problems from pattern-cutting and styling to marketing and PR. There’s no continent-wide body to promote funding and poor infrastructure slows production and raises costs. Olowu is optimistic. ‘The customer must have desire for the products on their own merit and only then will they ask: “Oh, where was this made?”’ he says. ‘There are a lot of talented African designers showing potential and that’s why the fashion world is looking very hard at Africa right now.’

List of Designers at AFWL 2012
ADEBAYO JONES
ANITA QUANSAH
ASKMOOFA
JAMES BRENDAN
TT DALK
LILLY FASHION
HOUSE OF ADJEIWAAH
MIA BY MIA NISBET
TRISH.O COUTURE
SEVERINE
TY-TYS
YUTEES
RACHEL KIRYA….THE COLLECTION
AFRO FANATIC
MONIS
THREADZS CREATION
OZORA
L’EMIRAL COUTURE
KEVE
VADIRA 7
BEBE GRAFITI
KEMUNTO
HOUSE OF JOLA
SET FASHION FREE
ÜBER AFRICA COLLECTIVE
HOUSE OF MARIE
ICONOLA
GLUE CLOTHING
TAYE TAYLOR
ELFRIDA
KETERE
TEE THREADS
KIKI CLOTHING
APRIL 2ND
ELDIMAA FASHION
SALLY INTIEGO
VIGOLD
ELLA & GABBY
DAVIVA
ASANDIA HOGAN
WANGU JEANS
KETO COUTURE
GREEN MAMBA
AFRO FASHION
MMD DESIGNS
ROUGE VALLARI
PATIENCE PLEASE
REMI LAGOS
HOUSE OF BUNOR
BERRY’S COUTURE
GEORGE ADESEGUN
BRIGITTE MERKI
HOUSE OF TAYO
HOUSE OF FARRAH
BULLDOFF
JOANSU JEWELLERY
HOUSE OF NWOCHA
JIMIKING
LYZE

Source: Metro, Africa Fashion Week London website
Photos: Catwalk Capture

There is a lot of information and photos so I have had to condense it as much as possible without loosing important information.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:12pm On Aug 11, 2012
Day 1 of Africa Fashion Week London saw Keto Couture showcase their collection of laid-back traditional menswear and sophisticated and grand womenwear. While mostly monochrome and embellished with embroidery and print detail, menswear look pristine and effortlessly understated, it was the womenswear in opulent colours and dramatic cuts and layers in balanced mix of Western and African fabrics and embellished with sequins, tulle, gold embroidery and rosebud detail.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
Keto Couture

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:33pm On Aug 11, 2012
The most highly anticipated designer, UK-based Nigerian couturier Adebayo Jones, showcased his creations at the gala show.

Preparing to celebrate his 25 years in fashion and keen to give the AFWL audience a dazzling presequel, Adebayo had on offer brand new pieces reminiscent of liquid gold – all sequined, sparkly, and AJ-trademark glittery.

The designer’s motto “All that glitters is AJ” found perfect embodiment on the runway as piece after piece, models shimmied and shimmered their way down the catwalk. Except a few equally delectable designs in rich red, silver and black, it was clear with this collection closing the show in grand style at Africa Fashion Week London, Mr. Jones was going for gold.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:34pm On Aug 11, 2012
Adebayo Jones

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2012
The last show of Day 1 was Nigerian lingerie designer Patience Please brought a touch of Victoria’s Secret in African inspirec lingerie.

There was no hip hop act to serenade the models as they strutted their stuff down the runway but there was no need for one either – as the focus was firmly on the teasing little numbers of satin, lace – and wait for it – ankara. Clad in silk and ankara robes, hidden behind feather masks models displayed a range of lingerie made for every shape and size.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Patience Please

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:57pm On Aug 11, 2012
The first runway of the second day at Africa Fashion Week London was a playful one all thanks to Nigeria’s Yutees playing with primary colours mixed with complementary prints in what proved a kaleidoscopic catwalk. Paisley and floral prints and geometric patterns in green, red, purple were juxtaposed with colour-blocked primary colours panels in asymmetical skirts and collars. The piece de resistance of this playful riot of colour? The low cut top, puff skirt combo in verdant green and deep plum accessorised perfectly with a matching brown sun hat.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 3:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yutees

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Idowuogbo(f): 4:05pm On Aug 11, 2012
omg!!!!!
dat ankara lingerie is so fawcking sexyyy!!!!!
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2012
The gala show on the second and final night of Africa Fashion Week London brought Afro Gothic vibes with all black (and some monochrome) everything looks from Nigeria’s Remi Lagos.

It was the black net numbers that added an edge to the Remi Lagos runway while black and monochrome kaftans with metallic detail looked elegant yet laid back and perfect for a pristine summer wardrobe – not unlikely choices to lounge on a yacht on the waters of St Tropez or strike a pose on a Lagos red carpet in one of these easy, breezy pieces.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
Idowuogbo: omg!!!!!
dat ankara lingerie is so fawcking sexyyy!!!!!
Very creative, I like it alot too!
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Idowuogbo(f): 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yutee's models dey bleach? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2012
Remi Lagos

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:11pm On Aug 11, 2012
Idowuogbo: Yutee's models dey bleach? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
They are celebrating Melanin Patches, abi you never hear am before undecided grin
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Idowuogbo(f): 4:11pm On Aug 11, 2012
emmmh.....remi na Illuminati ooo!!grin grin

all black ke? na who die na!
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Idowuogbo(f): 4:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
ijebabe:
They are celebrating Melanin Patches, abi you never hear am before undecided grin
Oh....I c! grin grin
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:20pm On Aug 11, 2012
Day 2 at Africa Fashion Week London was a memorable moment for the three finalists of the upcoming reality show Uber Africa, Obi, Anthi and Connie as their first runway show on such grand scale.

First up was Obi with his grand designs full of drama whether it be a bright scarlet feather peek-a-boo dress or a fitted, below the need hot pink dress with green embroidery accessorised with a green shawl.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
Next up was Anthi with far mre understated satin dresses with wax print and tassle detailing with a colour palette ranging from black to purple.

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 4:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Last but not least came Connie whose unfussy use of wax pink and purple print combined with satin and wool crescendoed to the final piece – a delightful African-inpsired Victoriana number.

If these pieces are anything to go by, we feel Uber Collective are only getting started…

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by newacca: 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
ijebabe: African Fashion Week London entered its second year on 3-4 of August and was the idea of Nigerian entrepreneur – Ronke Ademiluyi. ‘My aim is to create more visibility for African designers and to create a one-stop shop for the public. We were expecting 500 people last year and almost 5000 turned up. It was something people had clearly been waiting for.’

This year, AFWL showcased 60 designers including Nigeria’s Adebayo Jones, known for his lavish evening and bridal wear. ‘As I was inspired by Yves Saint Laurent, I hope my participation will inspire young designers, he says. The best African designers balance global seasonal trends with an intelligent reimagining of indigenous fabrics and adornments.

Nigerian designer – Amaka Osakwe’s label, Maki Oh turns indigenous textiles into sensual pieces that evolve traditional dress practises. She launched in 2010 and her latest collection focuses on body-conscious silhouettes made from adire. ‘I want to make Nigerians aware of their own fabrics, which are infused with meanings that have been passed down through generations.’

Jeffrey Kimathi uses fibres of the baobab tree for his Jamhuri Wear luggage range. Ghana’s Aisha Obuobi launched Christie Brown in 2008 and has become Accra’s womenswear with detailing such as covered buttons, feathers and fringing. ‘My work is about the beauty of simplicity.

Celebrities like Kelis was spotted in a piece from Lisa Folawiyo’s label – Jewel by Lisa. Solange Knowles is a fan of Maki Oh and Michelle Obama is regularly seen wearing pieces by London-based Nigerian designer Duro Olowu.

The African fashion industry still faces challenges. There’s a lack of formal fashion education, which means there are problems from pattern-cutting and styling to marketing and PR. There’s no continent-wide body to promote funding and poor infrastructure slows production and raises costs. Olowu is optimistic. ‘The customer must have desire for the products on their own merit and only then will they ask: “Oh, where was this made?”’ he says. ‘There are a lot of talented African designers showing potential and that’s why the fashion world is looking very hard at Africa right now.’

List of Designers at AFWL 2012
ADEBAYO JONES
ANITA QUANSAH
ASKMOOFA
JAMES BRENDAN
TT DALK
LILLY FASHION
HOUSE OF ADJEIWAAH
MIA BY MIA NISBET
TRISH.O COUTURE
SEVERINE
TY-TYS
YUTEES
RACHEL KIRYA….THE COLLECTION
AFRO FANATIC
MONIS
THREADZS CREATION
OZORA
L’EMIRAL COUTURE
KEVE
VADIRA 7
BEBE GRAFITI
KEMUNTO
HOUSE OF JOLA
SET FASHION FREE
ÜBER AFRICA COLLECTIVE
HOUSE OF MARIE
ICONOLA
GLUE CLOTHING
TAYE TAYLOR
ELFRIDA
KETERE
TEE THREADS
KIKI CLOTHING
APRIL 2ND
ELDIMAA FASHION
SALLY INTIEGO
VIGOLD
ELLA & GABBY
DAVIVA
ASANDIA HOGAN
WANGU JEANS
KETO COUTURE
GREEN MAMBA
AFRO FASHION
MMD DESIGNS
ROUGE VALLARI
PATIENCE PLEASE
REMI LAGOS
HOUSE OF BUNOR
BERRY’S COUTURE
GEORGE ADESEGUN
BRIGITTE MERKI
HOUSE OF TAYO
HOUSE OF FARRAH
BULLDOFF
JOANSU JEWELLERY
HOUSE OF NWOCHA
JIMIKING
LYZE

Source: Metro, Africa Fashion Week London website
Photos: Catwalk Capture

There is a lot of information and photos so I have had to condense it as much as possible without loosing important information.

TT DALK. We are proud of you!
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Whizkay(m): 1:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
whao! Wif all dis, we r soon gonna drive out all those foreigners from d world fashion market...#i rep africa
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
very good pics .... ok do you look like that... celebrate your self not others... make money and a difference too... you can count minimum of 20k in a week while catching fun with your mobile phone.... just click bellow to know how for free
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
Adebayo Jones tweeted this yesterday

"Omotola at Rolanda Boutique London while filming her reality TV show being styled by Adebayo Jones"

She looks nice, this her yansh sef dey block road grin
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by mrperfect(m): 9:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
Interesting designs.
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Tolaaaaannni(f): 12:18am On Aug 15, 2012
I don't think i will ever wear most of those clothes up there. undecided Not my style.(Yukk)

2 Likes

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
Its an acquired taste and not meant for the weak cool
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by Idowuogbo(f): 6:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
ijebabe: Its an acquired taste and not meant for the weak cool
Na her type dem dey find? Abegii....

1 Like

Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by ijebabe: 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Lmao! Wicked grin
Re: African Fashion Week London 2012 by gerrywilson: 5:19am On Sep 18, 2014
You can also join the international modeling competition, try http://www.toptalentmodel.com/, have several clients that are into fashion modeling and acting field.

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Girl Is Addicted To These So-called Whitening Products. / Do You Have Stretch Marks, Green Veins Or Facial Acne Scars? Jump In Here / See The Vibrating Bra That Increases The B00bs Size In Just Seven Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.