Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (11352 Views)

Mansa: Season 1 (A Ghanaian story) / Village Menace 1 (A Serial Story) / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Meklex(m): 9:23am On Aug 13, 2012
i love creativity, my pen's already kissing down the rows on my old page book
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by masterpiecer(m): 9:37am On Aug 13, 2012
A brilliant idea, but i think it should still be reviewed properly, there are loads of ?tions poping up already, nice idea though
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Meklex(m): 10:20am On Aug 13, 2012
I ran down the dark alley breathing hard
It seemed the longest race since the olympics
He had a gun
I was running not because of the gun
I was running from chase
I was not running from the hot bullet
But from chase
I stopped running
It seemed futile
He was closing in on me
His face visible from the illuminating light
Evil was his face
I began series of trembling and mumbling
He had a smirk on his lips
I thought about my family
I had none
I heard him drop the gun
He needed more than just to kill me
Chase needed my blood
He is a vampire,
I let out a deafining scream
Scream that came like a whisper to my ears
Only to be heard more louder by the neighbours.

Please, rate this, I need to know if I should stop writing and focus on other things instead, thanks
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by masterpiecer(m): 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Meklex: I ran down the dark alley breathing hard
It seemed the longest race since the olympics
He had a gun
I was running not because of the gun
I was running from chase
I was not running from the hot bullet
But from chase
I stopped running
It seemed futile
He was closing in on me
His face visible from the illuminating light
Evil was his face
I began series of trembling and mumbling
He had a smirk on his lips
I thought about my family
I had none
I heard him drop the gun
He needed more than just to kill me
Chase needed my blood
He is a vampire,
I let out a deafining scream
Scream that came like a whisper to my ears
Only to be heard more louder by the neighbours.

Please, rate this, I need to know if I should stop writing and focus on other things instead, thanks

dunno if u intend to write a story or a poem, its actually written in a poetic form but sounds more like a lift from a story. I would say u need to be decisive on where u want to base ur writting on(whether prose or poetry), but i think u already got a base which u can start working on, before u know it, u will come out perfectly fine.
i hope dat helps.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
masterpiecer:

dunno if u intend to write a story or a poem, its actually written in a poetic form but sounds more like a lift from a story. I would say u need to be decisive on where u want to base ur writting on(whether prose or poetry), but i think u already got a base which u can start working on, before u know it, u will come out perfectly fine.
i hope dat helps.

Nice Observation..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by nell07(m): 12:55pm On Aug 13, 2012
Delafruita:
it will be more of a competition if a limit is set.also there should be a different category for poems and a different one for a short story

seconded...
I'm suggesting between 300 n 400 words.
Being able to pack a huge picture into very few words is a challenge on its own.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Delafruita(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2012
i have often heard it said that the brave never dies.strangely though,i can't seem to remember where i heard it from perhaps i unwittingly created the phrase myself to spur me on in my quest for "immortality".
for starters,let me make two things clear:
1. i am not dead yet,at least not technically
2. i will soon be dead,technically
i have often heard,and this time i didnt unwittingly create the phrase,that your life flashes before you as death approaches.i remember seeing such a scenario in that wacky Ben Affleck movie about a blind dude beating the crap out of some dumb fools.i remember childishly hoping the flashing thing would happen to me so i could finally be able to understand why i dont know the day i was born or why my mother died either before or after i was born.it seemed strange to me that poppa(thats what we called my grandpa) used to wish me happy birthday on different days in november of every year.by the time i was supposedly 11years,i finally got to know that mama died so i could live,papa was drunk with his friends,and poppa was the only living being that witnessed my birth.poppa says it was 2days before his weekly trip to purchase materials for his store hence my "happy birthday" always came on the third thursday in november irrespective of the date.after poppa died,i settled for november 19 and thus it remained.

wait a minute,i am supposed to be on my way to technical death and my life isnt flashing.the only thing i can think of is ismaila and why the heck should i be having flashes of my favourite cobbler?how pathetic does that even sound?here i am on my way to eternal bliss or torment and instead of my life flashing on a big screen while i sit alone in the theater with a jar of popcorn and probably a bottle of la casera(preferably the new apple flavour which i wasnt opportuned to drink when i was technically alive) all i can think of ismaila with his severely disfigured face grinning widely when saying "kai shege oga.thank me bery much por eberytin" whenever i tell him to keep the change.

there has to be something wrong with the entire death-flash-eternity sequence.i should be seeing pretty girls,big guns,my hommies on the streets,big mike and his ugly wife(seriously,ugly is an understatement),popppa at his sewing machine or in the garage or at the store selling everything on credit,lots of money,so many gl........i think its starting.
i can see my mama(dont ask how i know its her) on the floor of the garage and there's this big woman peering into the middle of her legs(you dont expect me to say the words V-A-G-I-N-A in the same sentence describing me Ma).the woman is apparently under the illusion that screaming works with me.she should ask my 3 ex-wives.she screams away and finally i acknowledge her with my head(damn,my head was massive.now i understand why brother dele always called me edmondo when i was little).here i emerge slowly from the middle of me Ma's legs and then.......why is everything turning white?who the heck is this dude approaching me(not the baby me you moro.n,the technically dying me).he looks like angel peter or probably angel mary(i know i should have attended church more often.but there has to be an angel with those names.would be weird if they all bear the name "angel"wink.no matter what this dude says,i a'int going nowhere till i finish flashing.i need to understand why i am technically dead when i was simply tryna do some good.i need to unde...........oh noooooooooooo

watch out for part 2
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
masterpiecer: A brilliant idea, but i think it should still be reviewed properly, there are loads of ?tions poping up already, nice idea though

Hello, I tried to send you a mail from your profile..Do get back to me
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by masterpiecer(m): 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
mkmyers45:

Hello, I tried to send you a mail from your profile..Do get back to me

just did
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Bluemoon1(f): 9:48am On Aug 14, 2012
@O_D_B's entry LMAO!!!! i don laff o
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Bluemoon1(f): 11:09am On Aug 14, 2012
which store gift card?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2012
masterpiecer:

just did

sent you a reply
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2012
Blue moon: which store gift card?

probably amazon..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Kagawa: 1:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
To be above the fray, a writer must look upon the subject he writes about, as if that object was[b] himself[/b].- Magnus Pim (The Perfect Spy by John Le carre)
Here's my own submission

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 1:53pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kagawa: To be above the fray, a writer must look upon the subject he writes about, as if that object was[b] himself[/b].- Magnus Pim (The Perfect Spy by John Le carre)
Here's my own submission

Be sure to mail it to the official contest email...

Cheers and Goodluck
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Kagawa: 2:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
sent cheers
mkmyers45:

Be sure to mail it to the official contest email...

Cheers and Goodluck
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Kagawa: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
UPDATE 2: At all contestants please ensure that your write-ups are not replicated or found anywhere else on the found or it may considered plagiarism..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by beylinko(m): 12:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Hv u guys decided where d stories will be going?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:26am On Aug 15, 2012
beylinko: Hv u guys decided where d stories will be going?
i dont understand the question..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Meklex(m): 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
Death is looming
Waiting for the best time to seize my breath
With tears I waited
With ladened heart i wished
On and on time seemed to slowed
Pointing at my heart is a gun
The cause of my death
For i'm already going to die
And until the trigger goes off i will still be alive
Just then a sound was heard
I felt a burning sensation
My left chest was burning
Screaming aloud whilst my grip on the gun loosen
i spralwed on the cold floor
My senses fading
Looking around, it was dark
Dark enough to be lost in its grip.

Just wrote this one, .
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by sholay2011(m): 9:24am On Aug 17, 2012
I have sent my own piece oh...hoping I would be in the top three wink
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 11:35pm On Aug 17, 2012
mkmyers45: i dont understand the question..

I have provided you with what you asked for. Check you email to confirm you got it. Thanks!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 11:38pm On Aug 17, 2012
Cuddlemii:

I have provided you with what you asked for. Check you email to confirm you got it. Thanks!
Got it Thanks
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 11:41pm On Aug 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Got it Thanks

Ok! Let me know if u need me! smiley
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 11:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Ok! Let me know if u need me! smiley
Sure do..Thanks
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 3:57pm On Aug 24, 2012
4 DAYS TO GO....
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by firestar(f): 4:09pm On Aug 24, 2012
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
firestar:

Entries for the contest close in 4 days and i have replied your mail and heard nothing from you
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by sino(m): 12:27am On Aug 25, 2012
mkmyers45: 4 DAYS TO GO....
:oWhat?! four more days?!
#Faints
grin
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by illicit(m): 8:46am On Aug 25, 2012
mailed my write up earlier this morning @ cuddles/mymker45 av u seen it?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 12:06pm On Aug 25, 2012
illicit: mailed my write up earlier this morning @ cuddles/mymker45 av u seen it?

Gotten...

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here / The Seer...in Your Mind! / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.