Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List (4017 Views)

No Plan To Go Back On N5,000 Allowance To Jobless Youths – APC Insists / Video Of Ex-Commissioner In Zamfara Having Sex Goes Viral / Jobless Youth Killed While Struggling For Campaign Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by youngies(m): 7:19am On Aug 12, 2012
Zamfara, Bauchi and Niger states are worst hit by unemployment in the country, according to the 2011 unemployment rates released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

Zamfara State with 42.6% topped the list, followed by Bauchi, 41.4% and Niger 39.4% .

Other states in order of ranking are Gombe, 38.7, Nasarawa 36.5, Jigawa 35.9, Yobe 35.6, Edo 35.7. Adamawa, 33.8, Kaduna 30.3, Borno 29.1, Katsina 28.1, Delta 27.2, Imo 26.9, Rivers 25.5, Plateau 25.3, Kebbi 25.3, Kano 21.3, FCT 21.1, Akwa Ibom 18.2, Cross River 18.2, Sokoto 17.9, Kogi 14.4,Taraba 12.7,Ondo 12.5.

Others are Abia 11.2, Anambra 12.4, Bayelsa 23.9, Benue 14.4, Ebonyi 23.1, Ekiti 12.1 Enugu 25.2, Ogun 22.9.
Conversely, states considered to have marginal one-digit unemployment rate are Osun, 3.0, Kwara, 7.1, Lagos 8.3 and Oyo 8.9.

With the current population of 170 million, the 23.9% as posted by NBS as national unemployment rate represents about 40.6 million Nigerians who are within the working age of 17 to 65 years. This age bracket in Nigeria’s population represents over 70% of the 170 million people, which implies that about 119,000,000 fall with in the working age of 17 to 65years and 40,630,000 lacked any form of employment.

The youth, by Nigeria’s conventional definition, are those within 17 to about 45years, and this makes about 80% of the active population, meaning that an estimated 32,504,000 active youths are totally unemployed . The NBS, however, never posted the percentage of the underemployed.

Arewa Consultative Forum(ACF) spokesman Anthony Sani appealed to the northern governors to start evaluating their performances based on what they are doing. This, he said can be achieved through adequate data collection on such issues as unemployment rate , school enrolment, maternal mortality , poverty and other social economic index.

Having such statistics, will make the governors have a standard of measurement of their performances, he said.

A renowned economist and former Vice chancellor of the Federal University of Uyo, Prof Akpan Ekpo, commenting on the rating said that the 23.9 % does not in any way reflect the ideal unemployment rate “ The youth unemployment rate in the country ideally is within the range of 35% and above.

Even that 23.9 % is alarmingly high; the manageable unemployment rate and acceptable rate is 5 %. Government hasn’t told Nigerians the percentage of the underemployed, the graduates who are selling sachet water and recharge cards. Government must urgently step up effort in this direction.” Ekpo stressed.

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) also held a contrary view on the NBS’s unemployment position. The vice president of NLC, Mr. Promise Adewusi, said “if the unemployment rate is anything near 30%, the country wouldn’t be in the kind of security crises that we are. The magnitude of insecurity and terrorism the country is facing is reflective that youth unemployment is above 40% .”

He added that since government cannot account for adequate unemployment data, the NLC has concluded plans to commence a nationwide data collation to ascertain the correct number of unemployed youths in the country

More details: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2192-statistics-bauchi-zamfara-niger-top-jobless-list
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by youngies(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2012
Though not yet uhuru, but I am highly impressed with figures of Osun and Oyo states considering their very low potentials of employment generation in their respective States.

I am rather disappointed on the figures posted for especially Anambra, Kano and Abia States considering their huge potentials
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 12, 2012
Funny statistics and statisticians. How do you expect me to believe that Oyo has a lower unemployment rate than Anambra or Abia? And why should Osun have the lowest unemployment rate at an unbelievable 3 percent, that's madness!
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by yyb14: 8:13am On Aug 12, 2012
undecided
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2012
J12: Funny statistics and statisticians. How do you expect me to believe that Oyo has a lower unemployment rate than Anambra or Abia? And why should Osun have the lowest unemployment rate at an unbelievable 3 percent, that's madness!

It's now madness because you didn't see what you were anticipating right?

If you're in doubt, you can write the NBS or conduct your own private research and I bet it won't be any different if you're objective about it

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by manchy7531: 8:55am On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

If you're in doubt, you can write the NBS or conduct your own private research and I bet it won't be any different if you're objective about it

you get sense at all?what do they have in osun that is employing them? let's not talk about the fact that they are lazy and not enterprising like their eastern counterpart. unless you want to tell me that okada riding,bus driving and armed robbery are employing 80% of their population.by the way am based in osun,so i know osun very well.

looking at it from another angle,if true they clam that osun has 3% unemployment the it is a way of proving that osun has very low population which truly it does but fake statistics in Nigeria will always say otherwise

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Yeske2(m): 8:58am On Aug 12, 2012
Even Aregbesola of Osun state will laugh at the 3% accorded his state.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 9:22am On Aug 12, 2012
manchy7531:

you get sense at all?what do they have in osun that is employing them? let's not talk about the fact that they are lazy and not enterprising like their eastern counterpart. unless you want to tell me that okada riding,bus driving and armed robbery are employing 80% of their population.by the way am based in osun,so i know osun very well.

looking at it from another angle,if true they clam that osun has 3% unemployment the it is a way of proving that osun has very low population which truly it does but fake statistics in Nigeria will always say otherwise

Yet another dumb and illusioned post. At least being a bus or taxi cycle rider shows they are employed. Check statistics and tell me which tribe comes tops in robberies and fraud inside and outside Nigeria. Ode

And just in case you're not schooled enough to realize, employment stats don't count vices as 'employment'

And why are you based in Osun and not Anambra if there are more opportunities there. You just shot your dumb self on the foot with that
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 12, 2012
Osun 3%? Rubbish. No state in nigeria has less than 20% unemployment rate.

Don't come and fool us with figures. Go to the ghettos and slums n see how many youths are unemployed there.

Go to ajegunle, oyingbo, ojuelegba, idumota, ikorodu etc n see how many people are working about aimlessly. Don't tell me lagos has 8% unemployment rate.. Nonsense.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

Yet another dumb and illusioned post. At least being a bus or taxi cycle rider shows they are employed. Check statistics and tell me which tribe comes tops in robberies and fraud inside and outside Nigeria. Ode

And just in case you're not schooled enough to realize, employment stats don't count vices as 'employment'

And why are you based in Osun and not Anambra if there are more opportunities there. You just shot your dumb self on the foot with that

Ol'boy, how is it possible that Osun state has an unemployment rate of 3 percent? Its a simple question.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 12, 2012
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by youngies(m): 10:05am On Aug 12, 2012
Folks should shut their gobs if they do not have alternative stats to refers us to sad

Best you can do is to analyze the stats and take the positives therein
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 10:10am On Aug 12, 2012
J12:

Ol'boy, how is it possible that Osun state has an unemployment rate of 3 percent? Its a simple question.

Because there's a statistical report just in case you didn't notice. You can carry out your own research and come up with your position and also let us know how you arrived at it. Until then, you just have to live with the bitter truth

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 10:18am On Aug 12, 2012
J12: 38846 houses not habitable in osun state

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/44369-38846-houses-not-habitable-in-osun-govt-may-relocate-148000-living-in-those-buildings

Just tell me exactly what this has to do with the thread.

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by sheyguy: 10:26am On Aug 12, 2012
Double post
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by sheyguy: 10:26am On Aug 12, 2012
manchy7531:

3% in Osun state is very possible. They don't sell a sachet of pure water for N20 neither do they need 150k monthly to maintain a family there. By the time you multiply this with the effect of Aregbesola's O'schemes then you can see why the unemployement rate is one of the lowest. Don't even start the chapter of Armed robbery cos we all know the leading region in this country. You can call them agbero but then what matters most is being gainfully employed in a 'decent trade'.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by ektbear: 10:35am On Aug 12, 2012
youngies:
Ondo 12.5.
Ekiti 12.1 Enugu 25.2, Ogun 22.9.
Osun, 3.0, Kwara, 7.1, Lagos 8.3 and Oyo 8.9.

hmm. interesting, but not too sure how believable this is
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

Because there's a statistical report just in case you didn't notice. You can carry out your own research and come up with your position and also let us know how you arrived at it. Until then, you just have to live with the bitter truth

Statistical report my foot! Does that look like an objective statistic to you? GTFOH jor
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by sheyguy: 10:41am On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

Don't also forget the Osun state axis is the most widely travelled within west Africa when from Nigeria. The average Ejigbo, Iwo, Ede, Oshogbo or even Ikire Family has a serious French trade/commerce connection, be it through Anglo-African countries or directly. I am talking of a practice that has been on for generations now.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by ektbear: 10:42am On Aug 12, 2012
However, it does seem that unemployment is lowest in the SW. Is this a fair assessment, one that jibes with reality?
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

Just tell me exactly what this has to do with the thread.

Showing you the living conditions of the "employed" osun indigenes.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by excondido(m): 10:50am On Aug 12, 2012
The stats are damn preposterous!
How was this datas collected when we dont have a culture of proper documentation even in the so called civil service?

Where are the 70% employed population plus employed? When we dont have a sizeable middlle class nor a viable small and meduim scale industries to absorb the chunk of employable workforce?

believe this and u can believe anything.....na wash abegi.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 10:55am On Aug 12, 2012
J12:

Showing you the living conditions of the "employed" osun indigenes.

You never cease to amuse me. A proactive state government decides to do a structural assessment of all houses and comes up with a position. Do you have a problem with that? Must they wait till the buildings collapse? The structural integrity of a building is not determined by its aesthetics and what percentage of the houses in Osun were affected if I may ask?

J12:

Statistical report my foot! Does that look like an objective statistic to you? GTFOH jor

Okay it is not objective. Then go and do your own. Illusioned dunce.

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by ujchief(m): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2012
I'm suprised at the figures for Abia, Lagos and Anambra, 11.2% 8.3% and 12% are high figures in these states that thrive mostly on self enterprenurship, skills and trade. U'll hardly find a youth (17-45 yrs as classified by the report) with nothing doing. But when it comes to being 'gainfully' employed or 'underemployed', the stats could be generally higher.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

You never cease to amuse me. A proactive state government decides to do a structural assessment of all houses and comes up with a position. Do you have a problem with that? Must they wait till the buildings collapse? The structural integrity of a building is not determined by its aesthetics and what percentage of the houses in Osun were affected if I may ask?

Okay it is not objective. Then go and do your own. Illusioned dunce.

Another one: Why we can't tax Osun people

http://actioncongressnigeria.org/2011/11/28/why-we-can’t-tax-osun-people-by-aregbesola/

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by ujchief(m): 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2012
excondido: The stats are damn preposterous!
Typicall of 'most' Nlanders! View everything with a tribalistic perspective, and condemn it if it doesnt praise ya tribe. Classic!

1 Like

Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by asha80(m): 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2012
i do not have any reason to doubt osun's own as i do not know the state that much but lagos statistics does not quite fit.8percent?with the numerous aimless guys lounging around?
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Abagworo(m): 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2012
excondido: The stats are damn preposterous!
How was this datas collected when we dont have a culture of proper documentation even in the so called civil service?

Where are the 70% employed population plus employed? When we dont have a sizeable middlle class nor a viable small and meduim scale industries to absorb the chunk of employable workforce?

believe this and u can believe anything.....na wash abegi.

To clarify your stand, there is a difference between being "employed" and being "gainfully employed".
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by Tittos: 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
sheyguy:
3% in Osun state is very possible. They don't sell a sachet of pure water for N20 neither do they need 150k monthly to maintain a family there. By the time you multiply this with the effect of Aregbesola's O'schemes then you can see why the unemployement rate is one of the lowest. Don't even start the chapter of Armed robbery cos we all know the leading region in this country. You can call them agbero but then what matters most is being gainfully employed in a 'decent trade'.
Its funny how u have attribute Aregbesola to the low unemployment rate..if they had said the unemployment rate is high then it becomes pdp's fault.but u forgot Aregbesola has only stayed a year and cant have redused it to 3% in just a year
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by bashr8: 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2012
guys that 2011 statistics was cancelled by the federal government it had soo many wrong statistics so they pulled it back ,the new one is yet to be released so stop quoting it , it wasd the same statistics elrufai used.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by geeez: 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
Tittos:
Its funny how u have attribute Aregbesola to the low unemployment rate..if they had said the unemployment rate is high then it becomes pdp's fault.but u forgot Aregbesola has only stayed a year and cant have redused it to 3% in just a year

He couldn't have reduced it to 3% in one year you say. So now tell us what the figure was pre-Aregebsola?

bashr8: guys that 2011 statistics was cancelled by the federal government it had soo many wrong statistics so they pulled it back ,the new one is yet to be released so stop quoting it , it wasd the same statistics elrufai used.

Must you lie? Kindly post a link breaking the news where it was cancelled.
Re: Statistics: Bauchi, Zamfara, Niger Top Jobless List by bashr8: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
geeez:

He couldn't have reduced it to 3% in one year you say. So now tell us what the figure was pre-Aregebsola?

Must you lie? Kindly post a link breaking the news where it was cancelled.
i will do just that , am stil looking for it .the same statistics claimed theres more poverty in the south than the north.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Julius Berger Barricades Causes Traffic Along Abuja Airport Road / Where Is The Picture Of Boko Haram Flags Hoisted In Damboa/Gwoza? / Beheaded Soldier Not Our "Man"-Defence HDQs Reject Boko Haram Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.