Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,098 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Religion And Personality - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion And Personality (2090 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. / Difference Between a Religion and a Cult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 8:22am On Aug 12, 2012
Let's make so rather obvious predictions, if you will. Do you know your mbti (a personality assessment system of sorts) type? If you don't, take a test here

www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

If you already do, or after you've found out, post:

Your type
Your religious beliefs/status/whatever

I can predict that most atheists will be NT (xNTx). If enough people play I'll tell why.
Go

Also, if you know your type, read this rather good manual on picking a religion for yourself

www.player2000gi.alotspace.com/religion_and_type.htm

And this is not exact science, don't take it too seriously
Re: Religion And Personality by Avicenna: 9:48am On Aug 12, 2012
INTJ
Atheist.
I don't know about status oo.
Re: Religion And Personality by MrAnony1(m): 10:12am On Aug 12, 2012
INTP
Christian
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 10:22am On Aug 12, 2012
Avicenna: INTJ
Atheist.
I don't know about status oo.

Status quo? You mean the average INTJs disposition? If so, godless dictator

www.intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=41503

I also like these lists, it shows how the average everday people view us I suppose

www.similarminds.com/jung/intj.html

smiley

Take solace in the fact that 33% of mensa, a high iq society, is INTJ despite the fact that at best INTJs make up 2-3% of the general public
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 10:32am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony: INTP
Christian

Why mr anony, welcome to the mastah race (well actually this would imply you've always been a member). Bump fist. You abuse our legendary love for logic though with your religious beliefs smiley

We make up 20% of mensah (and I've seen other polls that have us in a considerable lead as secondary school students in the 'gifted' group) , roughly 2-4% of the general population. We also look to einstein as our poster boy (stereotypical actally). We can afford to let INTJs claim newton

Emotionally though, we are infamously inept...

Edit: you go on and on about logic in your current thread. You probably really are guilty of being intp. This is one of the most famous descriptions

www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

Edit again!!
Oops, I meant this one. The other one is pretty generic, this is the real deal

www.intp.org/intprofile.html
Re: Religion And Personality by MrAnony1(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2012
wiegraf:

Why mr anony, welcome to the mastah race (well actually this would imply you've always been a member). Bump fist. You abuse our legendary love for logic though with your religious beliefs smiley
Lol, the misconception that that religion is anti-logic. Actually I am not "religious", I am a Christian. In truth, it is my love for logic that keeps me in Christ.

We make up 20% of mensah (and I've seen other polls that have us in a considerable lead as secondary school students in the 'gifted' group) , roughly 2-4% of the general population. We also look to einstein as our poster boy (stereotypical actally). We can afford to let INTJs claim newton

Emotionally though, we are infamously inept...
Lol, thanks for singing our praise and boosting my ego.

Edit: you go on and on about logic in your current thread. You probably really are guilty of being intp. This is one of the most famous descriptions

www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html
Lol, I've read the page, Mostly describes me. I have always held the view that what I know today can always be totally irrelevant tomorrow. The cool thing however is that in God I have found rest. God solves the puzzle for me.

If it means anything: I was once an atheist but now I have found truth and I thank God for being so gracious to "undeserving me".
Re: Religion And Personality by MrAnony1(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2012
wiegraf:

Edit again!!
Oops, I meant this one. The other one is pretty generic, this is the real deal

www.intp.org/intprofile.html
Lol, it is more or less the same as the other one only with more words.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 12:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, it is more or less the same as the other one only with more words.

Yup, more or else. I don't think I've ever read that article in one sitting, and I've read it a lot

What you describe is normal, curiosity is a key trait, combined with open ended analysis. Everything is subject to change (even at the last minute, much to the annoyance of SJ types in particular). Another key trait is that the decision must be your own (so long as the topic is one you take seriously) and logically sound to you.

That said stop raping logic smiley
Re: Religion And Personality by MrAnony1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2012
wiegraf:

Yup, more or else. I don't think I've ever read that article in one sitting, and I've read it a lot

What you describe is normal, curiosity is a key trait, combined with open ended analysis. Everything is subject to change (even at the last minute, much to the annoyance of SJ types in particular). Another key trait is that the decision must be your own (so long as the topic is one you take seriously) and logically sound to you.

That said stop raping logic smiley
........that said, start using logic!

(heck now "using" sounds like a bad word. . . .well, at least it is better than "taking advantage of" LOL grin grin)

2 Likes

Re: Religion And Personality by Avicenna: 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
wiegraf:

Status quo? You mean the average INTJs disposition? If so, godless dictator

www.intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=41503

I also like these lists, it shows how the average everday people view us I suppose

www.similarminds.com/jung/intj.html

smiley

Take solace in the fact that 33% of mensa, a high iq society, is INTJ despite the fact that at best INTJs make up 2-3% of the general public

I was emphasizing status with the oooo.

But

GODLESS 'DICTATOR'shockedshocked

Man, what the hell?

Anyway, I may really like power and money and comfort and power and money and influence and........grintongue
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 1:54pm On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, the misconception that that religion is anti-logic. Actually I am not "religious", I am a Christian. In truth, it is my love for logic that keeps me in Christ.

Lol, thanks for singing our praise and boosting my ego.

Lol, I've read the page, Mostly describes me. I have always held the view that what I know today can always be totally irrelevant tomorrow. The cool thing however is that in God I have found rest. God solves the puzzle for me.

If it means anything: I was once an atheist but now I have found truth and I thank God for being so gracious to "undeserving me".

You are not alone Mr Anony, Imaginary things always solves puzzles for everyone. Thats why they are imaginary in the first place.
lol.

1 Like

Re: Religion And Personality by Avicenna: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2012
plaetton:

You are not alone Mr Anony, Imaginary things always solves puzzles for everyone. Thats why they are imaginary in the first place.
lol.
Take the test.
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
INTJ
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 3:19pm On Aug 12, 2012
Plenty of literature online, but I'll still bore you with this..

Based on the work of carl jung (whom dawkins states thought his books used to spontaneously combust, let's just say he could be weird at times). The original work is a bit voluminous and also undecipharable at first glance. The mbti is the more accessible and in some ways advanced version of this by issabel myers and her daughter. One of the reasons they put it together was to help women going into the work force during world war 2 find potentially better jobs

For the simplified version..
First letter I or E, intravert (jungs spelling) or extrovert.

It is not about being shy or confident, its about energy. Intraverts usually pick up energy when they are alone, extroverts the opposite. So at a party for instance, the average extrovert will get more energetic as time goes on, the reverse for introverts. You could be a shy extrovert (think some geeks) and more commonly confident intravert (think clint eastwood, bruce lee). But leave an intravert around people long enough and he will show irritation. Some extroverts take this personally, but its not. Extroverts on the other hand, are almost constantly looking for people they can suck energy from (vampires).

I doubt this letter has anything to do with religiosity.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
The second letter N for iNtuition, S for Sensing. This is not so easy to recognize initially, but in the opinion of many it is the most important factor.

Sensors are practical folk. They give weight to what they can see, feel, taste etc. Basically they give precedence to their senses. Top sport men, musicians, artists are usually sensors for instance.

Intuitives pay more attention to the abstract than sensors. For the stronger intuitives an idea could be more important to them than actual physical stuff. Most top notch writers, scientists are usually intuitive.

There are a lot more sensors than intuitives.

This affects religiosity, imo. Especially when in synergy with other letters (it's better described in terms of 'functions', but that is part of the more complicated and ultimately better version of the framework). Sensors, practical folk that they are, are more likely to just accept the religion of their parents, especially the xSxJ sensors. Intuitives on the other hand, especially xNTx intuitives (or d mastah race to d rest of u) will attack the subject with logic. xNFx intuitives, hippies that they are, are probably going to be very spiritual at the very least. New religions often originate from NFs.
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 4:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
wiegraf: Plenty of literature online, but I'll still bore you with this..

Based on the work of carl jung (whom dawkins states thought his books used to spontaneously combust, let's just say he could be weird at times). The original work is a bit voluminous and also undecipharable at first glance. The mbti is the more accessible and in some ways advanced version of this by issabel myers and her daughter. One of the reasons they put it together was to help women going into the work force during world war 2 find potentially better jobs

For the simplified version..
First letter I or E, intravert (jungs spelling) or extrovert.

It is not about being shy or confident, its about energy. Intraverts usually pick up energy when they are alone, extroverts the opposite. So at a party for instance, the average extrovert will get more energetic as time goes on, the reverse for introverts. You could be a shy extrovert (think some geeks) and more commonly confident intravert (think clint eastwood, bruce lee). But leave an intravert around people long enough and he will show irritation. Some extroverts take this personally, but its not. Extroverts on the other hand, are almost constantly looking for people they can suck energy from (vampires).

I doubt this letter has anything to do with religiosity.

I have known that I'm definitely an introvert. I get dizzy in a crowd.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 4:12pm On Aug 12, 2012
Third letter is for T for thinking, or F for feeling. Most men are Ts, most females Fs, that alone should give you an idea of what they represent. Bear in mind though up to 40% of women are T, and men F.

Ts place an emphasis on being fair, objective. Fs can't get rid of subjectivity (dammit). Fs are more or less people people, they'll tell you they love you, mean it and expect you return the favour. If you don't, it could lead to trouble. They avoid unnecessary conflict, for instance arguing for sport, as harming 'feelings' seems to be a big deal, etc

Ts on the other, actions speak louder than words, objectivity objectivity objectivity etc. Of course this means we are usually useless at dealing with matters of the heart, a very important part of life.

Obviously affects religious beliefs, Fs are by default more attracted to spirituality/religion than Ts. Catch here though is that for the most part Ss just follow the religion of their parents, it's Ns with their imagination and usually global outlook that are influenced by this factor when it comes religion.

so Ns will question, apply imagination, and their decision will be aided by their being either objective or subjective.

Incorrigible atheist or religious nut it is then.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 4:18pm On Aug 12, 2012
plaetton:

I have known that I'm definitely an introvert. I get dizzy in a crowd.

Most regulars on an internet forum are, surprise surprise, intraverts. For myriad reasons, of course
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
Last letter, P for perceivers, J for judgers. This letter is not in the original framework, it was added by myers so as to simplify the system. It is one of the easier to spot though when you are trying to determine a persons preference.

A J will tell you he'll be there at 9, then show up at least by 8:50. They are reliable, capable of being studious, etc. In essence, they judge externally. Work involves others, schedules etc

Ps on the other, show up a year later with a smile and tell you they finally nailed it, as if that's the most natural thing in the world. They aren't lazy, sadly they just judge internally, in other words they pay more attention to their internal standards than the external worlds judgment. They tend to wait for inspiration, work in bursts. They can expend obscene amounts of energy during these periods, then hibernate.

This factor doesn't affect religion much too, imo.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 4:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
For ease, the types are usually grouped, a certain group tends to behave this way, or that way etc..

We have, first group xSxJ, (x is always used to indicate variable, either of the options in this case), SJs aka The Guardians

The most populous, sjs run life's daily engine, more or else. Studious, traditional, play the 'safe' route people. Mind numbingly dull jobs like accounting for instance they handle effortlessly. They aren't called guardians for nothing, for instance getting them to open up their minds to religions other than their parents is nigh on impossible. They just can't help it for the most part (its more complicated than that, but you get the picture).

They are the bane of xNTPs, who must experiment with everything (just for science) only to meet a scowling sj reprimanding them because, well, just because really. I really can't tell why -_- . xNTJs on the other hand use them as minions in their usual quests for world domination
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 5:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
Next group as far as population is corncerned, are the xSxP, SPs or Artisans

They generally provide the bang. A practical bent, generally fun loving people interested in the here and now. Lots of artists, musicians, sports men etc in this group.

They all have ADD
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 5:21pm On Aug 12, 2012
NFs , xNFx, the Idealists

Hippies...

Well no, but my P moment of inspiration has now run out.. I'm now too bored to continue... I'll be back..
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 11:56am On Aug 19, 2012
NFs (Idealists) are harmony loving hippies that apply imagination to whatever spiritual pursuit interests them. For instance a kid with imaginary friends is probably INFP.

NTs (Rationals, or d mastah race) also place a focus on imagination, but apply it to more object persuits, like science, math etc. An NT kid will probably break stuff just to see how they work and turn their toy trucks into some sort of interstellar rocket that's also a deep sea submarine.

Both these groups are less practical with their day to day living then the sensors. But just about every paradigm shift originates from an N.

S' generally consider Ns flighty, Ns think S' are rigid and imaginationless
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 12:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
Famous artisans : micheal jackson, mike tyson, maradona, messi

Famous guardians : goerge washington, mother theresa, martha stewart... Can't think of anyone else. As the majority they are just... Normal. Well no, anyways your headmaster was probably sj

Famous idealists (plus fictional): mandela, gandhi, jesus, yahweh, christian god, shakespeare, alduos huxley, j k rowling, tolstoy, oprah, hitler, bin laden (these last two were probably INFJ, the rarest type, incidentally so were jesus and gandhi)

Famous rationals: einstein and just about every popular scientist ever (including adam smith, darwin, not neccesarily just physicists and mathmaticians ie), lincon, jefferson (arguably NF), benjamin franklin, socrates, alexander, both caeser's, hannibal (including the fictional one), kant, da vinci, liebniz, satan, mohammed etc. See why you must bow down to us, slaves?
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 12:25pm On Aug 19, 2012
So basically, both S types just go with the flow and don't attempt to over think things. The religion they were born into is fine to most of them.

NF usually originate spiritual movements. They are more likely to be atheistic than an S in today's world, but generally value spirituality greatly. If you do meet someone creating a religion out of nothing, or being religious even in a setting where it's frowned upon, good chance the person is an N, and probably NF

NTs question everything. They do dream up religions as well, but in todays world are more likely to drift towards atheism (well, in the west)

Note though, I am extremely biased...
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
wiegraf: Famous artisans : micheal jackson, mike tyson, maradona, messi

Famous guardians : goerge washington, mother theresa, martha stewart... Can't think of anyone else. As the majority they are just... Normal. Well no, anyways your headmaster was probably sj

Famous idealists (plus fictional): mandela, gandhi, jesus, yahweh, christian god, shakespeare, alduos huxley, j k rowling, tolstoy, oprah, hitler, bin laden (these last two were probably INFJ, the rarest type, incidentally so were jesus and gandhi)

Famous rationals: einstein and just about every popular scientist ever (including adam smith, darwin, not neccesarily just physicists and mathmaticians ie), lincon, jefferson (arguably NF), benjamin franklin, socrates, alexander, both caeser's, hannibal (including the fictional one), kant, da vinci, liebniz, satan, mohammed etc. See why you must bow down to us, slaves?

Satan? lol.
Satanists must be pleased. lol

But thanks for this great thread.
Re: Religion And Personality by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 19, 2012
Took the test some months back.

INTP
Agnostic, on a scale, I'd be closer to atheism than theism..

I am not a fan of personality classification tests, but this was about 90% accurate..
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 1:04pm On Aug 19, 2012
plaetton:

Satan? lol.
Satanists must be pleased. lol

But thanks for this great thread.

Great? Really?
Well you're very welcome good sir

Its a bit of an in joke, the satan situation. While most other types are glad to not be associated with it/him (whatever it is), most NTs actually hustle amongst themselves to claim him as their type grin . Alas, sadly, it can't be INTP (my type) because we just don't get involved the way he does.
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
wiegraf:

Great? Really?
Well you're very welcome good sir

Its a bit of an in joke, the satan situation. While most other types are glad to not be associated with it/him (whatever it is), most NTs actually hustle amongst themselves to claim him as their type grin . Alas, sadly, it can't be INTP (my type) because we just don't get involved the way he does.

Yeah, He's quite an ubiquitos fellow. Always following and hounding poor Africans.
Someone should tell him to leave my brethren alone and get a job, for christ sake.
LOL.
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 1:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
musKeeto: Took the test some months back.

INTP
Agnostic, on a scale, I'd be closer to atheism than theism..

I am not a fan of personality classification tests, but this was about 90% accurate..

Oh yes, this should never be taken too seriously. It's a test of your preferences, not what you will do or your potential. I've heard of some discrimination based on this, that's just as stooopid as it gets.

It is very well put together though, and can help one understand himself and the environment, ie if you having issues dealing with the world in general ( relating to guardians in my case, for instance). Like my need to procastinate (summed up as I Need To Procastinate).. Oh sh.it, I'm doing it again.. better.

As exected, most skeptic regulars would be INTx. Something like only 1 in 25 people are INTx as well
Re: Religion And Personality by wiegraf: 1:24pm On Aug 19, 2012
plaetton:
[/b]

Yeah, He's quite an ubiquitos fellow. Always following and hounding poor Africans.
Someone should tell him to leave my brethren alone and get a job, for christ sake.
LOL.

grin yup, busy body. He's most likely extroverted, I'd have him as ENTJ, like Julius Caesar and Bill Gates (Bill Gates though is often debated, some think he's an introvert parading as an extrovert, I personally don't think so though)
Re: Religion And Personality by plaetton: 1:25pm On Aug 19, 2012
I read somewhere, and I dont know if it is related to this type of personality assessment, that about 15% of people are completely immune from any type of mental programming such as Religious beliefs, mind control, Brainwashing ,hypnotism and even advertising.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did The Magi Bring Gold, Frankincense And myrrh to Jesus? / The Resurrection Of The Dead / Donald Trump Vs Islam Is An ILLUSION Like Superman Vs Muhammad Ali.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.