Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola (5826 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Broke! – Okonjo-iweala Fumes / "Nigeria Is Not Broke" - Ngozi Okonjo Iweala / Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by mukina2: 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos State Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola has debunked insinuations that the state is bankrupt or experiencing cash flow problem.
In an exclusive interview with BusinessDay in his office, Fashola added that Lagos was meeting its obligations to all its creditors.

“We are paying our debt, we remain creditworthy, we still borrowed money from the banks recently because we have in this year’s budget borrowing provision to finance the deficit. We’re solvent, clearly. Who would even lend money to an insolvent institution?”

Fashola added that the state government bond which was floated in the former Governor (Tinubu’s) time has been repaid by the current administration before its maturity.

The Fashola administration has, however, floated two bonds (the N50 billion, 5-year, 13 percent series 1 and the N57 billion, 7-year, 10 percent series II) with a provision, that a sinking fund be set up where 15 percent of the state’s internally generated revenue (IGR) is paid into the fund, to secure the debt.

“So, categorically, we are solvent and we are paying our debt,” he said

According to him, Lagos currently has two levels of debt, the local debt and the foreign debt.

With regards the local debt, Fashola said the state is discharging its obligations to its contractors.

There are also loans owed to banks by the state, which Fashola said amounts to about 11 or 12 loans.

“I think about 8 of them will be fully amortised by the end of this year, so that will leave about 4. Of course, we will take a few more before I leave but we won’t leave the next government with a burden beyond what is reasonable,” he said

For the foreign debt, Fashola said that there are about 16 different components and about 9 or 10 of them are debts taken by the Federal Government on behalf of all the states, for projects like FADAMA, water resources, HIV, prevention.

These are debts contracted by the nation and disaggregated as a responsibility to all states and constitute close to 60 percent to 70 percent of the state’s foreign debt, he said.

Other components of the foreign debt were used to fund the Bus Rapid Transit BRT/Lamata, LMDGP/slum clearance, LAWMA/waste management, and Eko education fund.

Fashola noted that the concessionary nature of the foreign debt makes them an attractive option for the state to utilise in its quest for infrastructure development.

“We’ve built roads in Agege, schools in Badiya, schools in Bariga, in Shomolu and in Gbagada with part of the concessionary foreign loans. We’ve used the same loan to finance the BRT corridor. We’re using it now to extend from Mile 12 to Ikorodu. Ikorodu road was built 40 years ago, it’s still there.

So if we do this you can be sure this asset will stay for another 30 to 40 years. Now the money is deducted at source, from our monthly FAAC meeting. So we don’t even miss it, we don’t know we’re paying.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/42715--lagos-is-not-broke--fashola
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by miteolu(m): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2012
YES, gofuno

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2012
How can the state be broke when there is room for steady cashflow...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by manny4life(m): 2:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos is not broke BUT LAGOS IS HIGHLY INDEBTED...FACT
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by feelamong(m): 2:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
We are not broke!!! This was exactly what the countries of Greece, spain etc were saying 5yrs ago!! undecided

Only time will tell!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Dhelake: 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
manny4life: Lagos is not broke BUT LAGOS IS HIGHLY INDEBTED...FACT
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos should pay me my money cool... Yeah the state owe me
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 13, 2012

Highly Indebted means that they have the money but it does not belong to themgrin grin grin
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2012

to whom for crying out loud!!!
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by rajiade: 2:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
Is Nigeria not Broke? Is Nigeria not indebted?

At least before GEJ ordered that d information be taken off the Debt Management official website, Nigeria receives a loan of abt 1bill every month (not sure n can't remember d actual figure) with no obvious effect on the Nation. As four that of Lagos, its obvious what some of the money (if not all) was used for.

Well done Fashola!
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by blackborn7(m): 2:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
mukina2:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/42715--lagos-is-not-broke--fashola
i wish fashola was my president. Things wont av bn d way it is. Im so proud of u sir. Thank you n god bless u sir.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by atuboweke(m): 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2012
Geez! The truth is unfolding gradually, Fashola and Tifnubu are really milking Lagos State dry and they have the gult to attack GEJ. Only time will tell.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Myself2(m): 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Why will Lagosd not be broke and broken,when only one man pockets a princely 3,000,000,000.00(na wao see as the zeros just full the screen),per month out of the tax and overtax that struggling Lagosians are forced to cough out every month
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by suyu: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos broke since when
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by solomon111(m): 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
blackborn7: i wish fashola was my president. Things wont av bn d way it is. Im so proud of u sir. Thank you n god bless u sir.
Go to bariga,yaba,mushin,and tell me if you want fashola to be your president.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by skullbaba: 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
i dont know what to say. But time will tell. But wait fashola pay tinubu debt and he will also leave another debt for the incoming govt. These people are ............... Debt is not something advisable to procure in this turbulent time especially the international imperialist that will borrow you 1 dollar and you will pay 100 dollar and yet you will bw owing them.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by inspbado(m): 3:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
At least I see that major construction work is about to begin on the ketu,mile 12, ikorodu axis(where I live by the way)so also other physical evidence of progress abound all over the state. So I Ðĕÿ see where the debt money Ðĕÿ go for Lagos. Āƃěg show me where all d trillion dollar debts the FG Ðĕÿ accumulate Ðĕÿ go
naa,rubbish!!!
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Chanchit: 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
If lagos is broke, lagosians will be the one to pay for it... Maybe that's why he signed the new lasma law...
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by mapet: 3:23pm On Aug 13, 2012
Well there is nothing bad being highly indebted if you've invested the money into viable and sustainable capital projects that will in the long term lead to revenue generation. This is what I see Lagos have done in the last 15years.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by manny4life(m): 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Highly Indebted means that they have the money but it does not belong to themgrin grin grin

Exactly! Nothing wrong with borrowed money, only fear is in case of default, that is when Lagosians will understand.

Ranks007:

to whom for crying out loud!!!

That was addressed in the report - domestic and foreign debt.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Sunofgod(m): 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
manny4life:

Exactly! Nothing wrong with borrowed money, only fear is in case of default, that is when Lagosians will understand.

That was addressed in the report - domestic and foreign debt.

Lagos is not broke - it just has huge debts it cannot repay without heavy taxation of Lagosians or through direct extortion of groups such as motorists.

US is not broke - it just has huge debts it cannot repay without heavy taxation of the masses.

Anyway, seems Fashola doesn't actually know how much is owed and to whom.
He's made some very vague statements that are worrying.

If the money is owed to private banks/institutions then they are the real owners of lagos.

When you mortgage a house or even a Nigerian state, you dont own the property until the whole amount is repayed.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Newcrescent(m): 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
atuboweke: Geez! The truth is unfolding gradually, Fashola and Tifnubu are really milking Lagos State dry and they have the gult to attack GEJ. Only time will tell.

feedeefee goons.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by scribble: 4:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ijogz K: Lagos should pay me my money cool... Yeah the state owe me

The State owes me too but you don't see me on NL bragging about it.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by sbeezy8: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
Dont know what you illiterates are talking about kenya south africa and ghana have higher debts AND BORROW MORE than nigeria yet- they are doing 100x's better. Loans does not always mean broke, if being paid.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Fathai(m): 6:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ur over sabi too much...u just like writting rubbish online ..al the tym...may GOD help u o...mr kaarimi!!
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by manny4life(m): 6:24pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sun of god:

Lagos is not broke - it just has huge debts it cannot repay without heavy taxation of Lagosians or through direct extortion of groups such as motorists.

US is not broke - it just has huge debts it cannot repay without heavy taxation of the masses.

Anyway, seems Fashola doesn't actually know how much is owed and to whom.
He's made some very vague statements that are worrying.

If the money is owed to private banks/institutions then they are the real owners of lagos.

When you mortgage a house or even a Nigerian state, you dont own the property until the whole amount is repayed.

I believe I said the same thing

OR did I miss something in this post

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by manny4life(m): 6:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fathai: Ur over sabi too much...u just like writting rubbish online ..al the tym...may GOD help u o...mr kaarimi!!

Your so much hate will cause you High Blood Pressure, and may it NOT destroy you, SAY AMEN...AMEN. cool cool cool

Now, run along...
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by PointB: 6:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos State Government is a big fraud!

How can a state with over 20 billion naira in IGR (exclusive Federal Allocation) be indebted to the tune of over 500 million dollars, and all we hear is "Lagos is not broke!" Asked them what has been achieved in the past 3 years, some clown will tell you BRT, and Beautification!

Isn't it interesting that such with IGR, Federal Allocation, and External debt, several roads are impassible (especially in the mainland), and when it rains, you need canoe or raft to get out of your home! What has become of huge tax collected from hapless Lagosians, and Federal allocation?

Did the spend it in keeping Okada of the road? Or do you need such huge investment to remove Agberos from the parks? Was the money invested in Law makings? Bottomline, I am yet to see where Lagos state revenue is invested.

Perhaps, Fashola has invested Lagos State Tax Payers money in emperor Tinubu.
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
I see the next governor of Lagos State crying cause moni don finish

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by PointB: 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
Other components of the foreign debt were used to fund the Bus Rapid Transit BRT/Lamata, LMDGP/slum clearance, LAWMA/waste management, and Eko education fund.

Shameless admission! The borrowed money from external sources to the tune of $500 million to:

- demarcate road for BRT buses (the buses are owned by private companies)
- Clear slum (demolish Makoko)
- Clear rubbish waste
- invest in Eko Educational fund (including hiking LASU School fees)

The question is what is the real cost/value of these investment, vis-a-vis the huge investment in them? Something just don't add up here, the Tinubu devil is in the details!
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by earthgreeners(m): 7:51pm On Aug 13, 2012
This point guy na educated illiterate na now I just realize
Re: Lagos Is Not Broke – Fashola by owo(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lagos is not broke. It is just highly indebted. The "high debt" is not a problem for the state government, because they will pay up some of them and borrow more.
Recall, the last time, all these debts were paid off by the feds. Now the question, why must Lagos always be bailed out by others? 90% of the roads were built by the feds yet they can't even be maintained by Lagos. The feds are fixing third mainland and Apapa expressways now because Lagos cannot do it. Yet, the Government is borrowing and piling up the debts so that the feds will cheat other states and pay it off another time. Wonders in the land of Ninja.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Impeachment: Jonathan Tells Fayose To Resign, Says Time Of Impunity Is Over? / Evidence As Protest Hit UN Geneva (+18) Picture Attached. / Why PPPRA Lacks Constitutional Power To Determine Fuel Price In Nigeria - Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.