Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. (2051 Views)

The Official Literature/Writing Section Poster Of The Year Award 2012 / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! / Literary Cafe: A Date With The Book, The Pen, And Idea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. by aletheia(m): 3:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
How many caught the literary allusions strewn throughout the London 2012 closing ceremony?

In this picture for example, notice the car in the foreground has these words: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways" These are the opening lines of a sonnet by Elizabeth Barret Browning. The car also has the opening lines of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Kubla Khan: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan / A stately pleasure-dome decree".
In the background beside the yellow truck, you will see: "...work orange" which is Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" truncated.

Nearly all the newspaper props I saw are replete with literary allusions and quotes.

Did anyone else notice them?

Re: London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. by Ishilove: 10:40am On Aug 14, 2012
Only folks who are very conversant with English literature would have noticed the allusions. As it is, I didn't notice anything because I am not exactly too keen on English literature
Re: London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 14, 2012
i would think they were pretty much obvious, like right there written on the props in clear ink :p
Re: London Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony Not So Hidden Literary Allusions. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:37am On Aug 29, 2012
I didn't notice them but I noticed that it wasn't just a ceremony,the devil was @ work there.the signs were so clear for even a 7year old would see.I can't go over the whole details but it wasn't a pretty sight for me

(1) (Reply)

Perfect Flaws / Ways You Can Earn Money With Your Stories / The Nza Bird Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.