Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,849 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:26 AM

Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina (794 Views)

Don’t Marry A Yoruba Boy – Daughter Of Former Oyo State Governor / Alao Akala, Former Oyo State Gov Defects To APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
Former Oyo State Governor Lam Adesina has a piece of advice for President Goodluck Jonathan – he should resign, if it will bring peace.

Adesina’s advice came on the heels of wanton destruction of lives and properties by the fundamentalist Boko Haram sect in the North.

A similar counsel from the sect asking the President to either covert to Islam or resign as the condition for peace was spurned by Jonathan.

Adesina, who spoke during the 2012 Ramadan Tefsir lecture held at the Gbadamosi Olowoporoku Adesina Memorial Mosque, Felele, Ibadan, admitted that impeachment through voting remains the conventional way of removing or sacking a president.

According to the former governor and one of the leaders of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), before the coming into power by President Jonathan, the country was relatively very peaceful.

He said: “After a thorough assessment of the situation, it is my belief that we must achieve peace at this point in time because if there is no peace now, then Nigeria is going to collapse.

“Therefore, while I am calling on the Boko Haram sect to soft-pedal, I am calling on President Jonathan, if it is his resignation that will bring about peace in Nigeria, let him resign.

“To me, it has become abundantly clear that peace in Nigeria may not be achieved by President Jonathan. These people (Boko Haram) are bent on evoking violence on the people of this country.

“If there is a way by which President Jonathan can stop the Boko Haram, let him continue, but definitely I don’t think this thing can continue indefinitely. Every peace-loving Nigerian is tired of what is happening today. That is why I am saying if it is resignation that will bring peace in Nigeria, let him resign.”

Speaking on: “The effect of fundamentalism on Islam,” the Head of the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Ibadan, Prof Abdul Rahmon Oloyede, said the activities of the Boko Haram sect in the past few months have proved wrong those associating Boko Haram with Islam. He described the sect as a tool in the hands of some politicians.

Oloyede, who explored the effect of fundamentalism on Islam across the globe, called on governments to make religious studies compulsory in all schools.

By so doing, he said, Nigerians would be well enlightened on the tenets of their religion, especially Islam.

At the occasion were the Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Alhaji Azeez Arisekola Alao, the Iyalode of Ibadanland, Chief Mrs. Aminat Abiodun, former Power Minister Elder Wole Oyelese, the ACN chair in Oyo State, Chief Akin Oke, Head of Department, Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Ibadan, Prof Abdul Rahmon Oloyede, Caretaker Committee chairmen of the 33 council areas in Oyo State and notable Islamic leaders in the state among others.

http://ascology.com/news/local-news/26998-Pres-Jonathan-should-resign-now-for-peace-sake---Former-Oyo-Gov-Adesina.html

At least we know whose side he is on........ His advice to GEJ - Resign since you refuse to convert to islam, for peace to reign #Interesting
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by ubandire(m): 3:45pm On Aug 13, 2012
NO LONG TIN: Former Oyo State Governor Lam Adesina has a piece of advice for President Goodluck Jonathan – he should resign, if it will bring peace.

Adesina’s advice came on the heels of wanton destruction of lives and properties by the fundamentalist Boko Haram sect in the North.

A similar counsel from the sect asking the President to either covert to Islam or resign as the condition for peace was spurned by Jonathan.

Adesina, who spoke during the 2012 Ramadan Tefsir lecture held at the Gbadamosi Olowoporoku Adesina Memorial Mosque, Felele, Ibadan, admitted that impeachment through voting remains the conventional way of removing or sacking a president.

According to the former governor and one of the leaders of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), before the coming into power by President Jonathan, the country was relatively very peaceful.

He said: “After a thorough assessment of the situation, it is my belief that we must achieve peace at this point in time because if there is no peace now, then Nigeria is going to collapse.

“Therefore, while I am calling on the Boko Haram sect to soft-pedal, I am calling on President Jonathan, if it is his resignation that will bring about peace in Nigeria, let him resign.

“To me, it has become abundantly clear that peace in Nigeria may not be achieved by President Jonathan. These people (Boko Haram) are bent on evoking violence on the people of this country.

“If there is a way by which President Jonathan can stop the Boko Haram, let him continue, but definitely I don’t think this thing can continue indefinitely. Every peace-loving Nigerian is tired of what is happening today. That is why I am saying if it is resignation that will bring peace in Nigeria, let him resign.”

Speaking on: “The effect of fundamentalism on Islam,” the Head of the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Ibadan, Prof Abdul Rahmon Oloyede, said the activities of the Boko Haram sect in the past few months have proved wrong those associating Boko Haram with Islam. He described the sect as a tool in the hands of some politicians.

Oloyede, who explored the effect of fundamentalism on Islam across the globe, called on governments to make religious studies compulsory in all schools.

By so doing, he said, Nigerians would be well enlightened on the tenets of their religion, especially Islam.

At the occasion were the Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Alhaji Azeez Arisekola Alao, the Iyalode of Ibadanland, Chief Mrs. Aminat Abiodun, former Power Minister Elder Wole Oyelese, the ACN chair in Oyo State, Chief Akin Oke, Head of Department, Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Ibadan, Prof Abdul Rahmon Oloyede, Caretaker Committee chairmen of the 33 council areas in Oyo State and notable Islamic leaders in the state among others.

http://ascology.com/news/local-news/26998-Pres-Jonathan-should-resign-now-for-peace-sake---Former-Oyo-Gov-Adesina.html

At least we know whose side he is on........ His advice to GEJ - Resign since you refuse to convert to islam, for peace to reign #Interesting

What do we expect from DECREPIT man?
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by semidaraeb(m): 4:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Hmmm.......Thinking aloud, if what is happening now happend when he was a governor will he think of resigning.

People sha, they talk with both sides of their mouth.
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by olugbemi4u: 4:32pm On Aug 13, 2012
Whatever they say about Jaganba of Africa is sentiment and anger. The only state functioning in Nigeria today is Lagos, because of the legacy laid by Asiwaju there is no one in Nigeria that can match Tinubu’s achievement all of you that criticise him are mediocrities .Ondo state for example has potential to compete with Lagos in term of infrastructure and economy development. Mimiko has not use the so much wealth and potentials to attract any investor to the state. No single foreign direct investment and public private partnership, all we can see is inducing individual and group with cash to speak on his behalf over 400 million spent on declaration day economic wise this money can create job for 10,000 people not to talk of more than 500billion subvention excluding loan and internal generated revenue.

No single industries function in the state. The state that has the second largest deposit of bitumen in the world Iroko is not expose to attract investor to tap huge resource available in the state .

Ondo state has the largest level of unemployment in Nigeria. Akeredolu is on rescue mission. Mimiko is doing all these within is exposure and capacity not capable of delivery 21st century dividend of democracy. AKETI has travelled far and wide and has all it takes to transform the state within a short period of timeif given opportunity.
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by deshclones(m): 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
Another rantings of a senile amala H-factor speaking Yoruba man...smh..next please...
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 13, 2012
Before ethnic bashers start, let me emphasize, this is ADESINA's opinion.
As in lam adesina personal opinion.
Re: Pres. Jonathan Should Resign Now For Peace Sake - Former Oyo Gov, Adesina by NOLONGTIN1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2012
semidaraeb: Hmmm.......Thinking aloud, if what is happening now happend when he was a governor will he think of resigning.

People sha, they talk with both sides of their mouth.

tru talk!! some people are just hypocrite

(1) (Reply)

Idris Abdulkarim Is Jaga Jaga OBJ -- I Never Forget Am / ‘I Sold Maryam Abacha’s Jewels To Buy Cocaine For Her Son’ / Description Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.