Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,794 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? (15956 Views)

When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? / 20 Must See Cars From The 2012 New York Auto Show / Ford Ranger 2012 Vs Gurara Falls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by BizBooks(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
On a recent trip to Georgia, I had the pleasure of renting a 2011 Toyota Camry. After using
the car for 3 days, it became apparent why Toyota is the number one auto maker in the world.
The car is roomy and handles excellently. The 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Camry share the same
body style and structure with the 2011 model and have a lot in common.

Last year, Toyota came out with the all new, re-designed 2012 Camry. For some inexplicable
reason, they chose to make it smaller than the 2011 and earlier models. In fact the first
time I saw the 2012 Camry, I thought I was looking at a Honda Civic (the front grille has
a close resemblance to the Civic.)

Have you seen the 2012 Camry up close?
How does it compare to the 2011 and earlier models?

P.S: There is no doubt the 2012 Camry is a mechanically superior car that contains the latest
technology from Toyota. However, this comparison is based on aesthetics and not mechanics.

1 Like

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by BizBooks(m): 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
The 2011 Camry: Big and Roomy.

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by BizBooks(m): 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
The 2012 Camry: Small and Cramped.

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by spiaggia: 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
It's a miss really. Have seen a few and it obviously does not have the presence of the 2011.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by yungboss(m): 7:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
i dont like the 'civic' look...
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by gongoaso1: 9:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
I gotta reply this thread!!!

Initially I thought it was a miss too. I did not appreciate the looks and thought it was rather 'flimsy'.
Alas, I had the opportunity to drive one from a rental. Mehn that ride is what I call complete. It handled superbly and drove awesomely.

@OP, dunno what you mean by it being less roomier than the previous versions, it sure is still very roomy.
The greatest plus it had for me was the dash. A huge departure from the drab and frankly boring previous version.

The US public have warmed up to the 2012 Camry too and the earlier version is expected to witness a huge drop in prices.
For those criticizing the car, I'll say wait till you have driven it, and appreciated it in its entirety closely and not from a distance.

3 Likes

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by pannyman(m): 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2012
You're right, gongo aso. A car is best appreciated when driven.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by spiaggia: 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
Gongo aso,

You sure have your points but I am sure you will agree with me that a new model should have a correlation to the model it's replacing. Now, if this was replacing or had it been named the 2012 Corolla, no one would have raised any issues. My own candid view.

2 Likes

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by BizBooks(m): 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
gongo aso:
@OP, dunno what you mean by it being less roomier than the previous versions, it sure is still very roomy.

I haven't been inside a 2012 Camry so I can't really comment on the interior size. But if the
interior is the same size as the 2011 model, then they must have reduced the trunk and engine
compartment. A simple glance at the 2012 Camry will tell you that it is clearly smaller than the
2011 model. As Spiaggia said, it looks more like a Corolla than a Camry.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by gongoaso1: 10:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
spiaggia: Gongo aso,

You sure have your points but I am sure you will agree with me that a new model should have a correlation to the model it's replacing. Now, if this was replacing or had it been named the 2012 Corolla, no one would have raised any issues. My own candid view.

While agreeing with you in terms of correlation to previous models, I must point out that Car Manufacturers sometimes depart or take a detour in yearly models. Eg the 2002-2006 Camry is definitely very different from 2007-2011 models. And definitely this 2012 model still has many similarities to the 2011 model. So I don't really get what you are trying to pass across. Manufacturers do this all the time to stay competitive in the market.

BizBooks:

I haven't been inside a 2012 Camry so I can't really comment on the interior size. But if the
interior is the same size as the 2011 model, then they must have reduced the trunk and engine
compartment. A simple glance at the 2012 Camry will tell you that it is clearly smaller than the
2011 model. As Spiaggia said, it looks more like a Corolla than a Camry.

The interior is definitely the same size. I have driven both a number of times. I stand to be corrected though (no time to google tongue)
Or perhaps I was busy appreciating the much more appealing interior to notice the smaller interior size if so.

As to judging the outward size by a mere glance, dunno about that sir. But I make bold to say they are same size.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by dayokanu(m): 5:54am On Aug 14, 2012
I have driven the 2012 Camry and its shape didnt wow me like the 2007-2011 body style maybe because they put the stakes so high with the 2007-2012 style

I drove a 2011 and also a 2012 both from rental and I looks like the 2012 was easier and softer to handle.

Performance and interior is very good, the body shape and size not so
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by deshclones(m): 6:11am On Aug 14, 2012
Gongo aso has a point tho..have not driven the 2012 camry but I must confess it lacks the glory and prescence that the 2007-2011 has..bn paired side by side with the 2012 model in traffic and I must confess it was as if it was a normal car..I even ask why peeps will dole out roughly 7.5m to buy it...toyota really missed on this one..same way honda shot itself on the foot with the 2012 civic nd crv models...they should have done a total overhaul..the same way hyundai overhauled all their models.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by Roland17(m): 6:14am On Aug 14, 2012
I test drove the New Toyata Camry last year at the Los Angeles Auto Show and i must say it was definitely different, the interior design was a huge step up, its got more room like many have already stated, it had this class and also comes in a Hybrid version.. i definitely love it.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by amokemi(m): 6:20am On Aug 14, 2012
ok. lemme get one today and i will be able to compare. calling Elizade motors.

1 Like

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by nlofficial(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2012

TOKYO: Honda Motor Company, the Japan based auto giant, has unveiled images of the production version of its 2013 Honda Accord to be rolled out in sedan and coupe body styles. The ninth generation of this mid-size sedan is claimed to be the most sculpted and dynamic Accord yet that engulfs highly premium and ramped up interiors well mated

with trimmed exteriors. The design aesthetics of the new Honda Accord indicates sophistication, with the bold stance of the new grille that blends delicately with the robust hood styling. On the sides, highly appealing and smoothly directed lines flow through the door handles, moving towards the rear. The curvaceous outline on the sills intricately turning upwards uplifts the sporty feel. Moreover, the tapering fenders and the C-pillars own a highly athletic and fierce poise. Accord is available in two variants, petrol and a gasoline-electric hybrid variant. The petrol variant is loaded with 2.4L DI engine delivering a peak power and torque of 181 hp and 177 lb-ft and a 3.5L V6 i-VTEC offered with six-speed automatic and manual transmission. The hybrid powertrain comprises of 2.0L four cylinder petrol engine and six kWh electric motor churning out a top power of 161 hp, capable of being driven in three modes.

VW to give Polo minor facelift

MAHARASHTRA: Volkswagen (VW) India Pvt Ltd, the Indian arm of the German based auto giant, is anticipated to launch a rejuvenated version of its flagship premium hatchback, Volkswagen Polo. Since India is a mass market for the hatchbacks, VW is spearheading to infuse the existing Polo with a mid-cycle facelift and thereby, sustain the challenge of launching the hatchback for the right segment at a right price. The auto- maker will update the subcompact hatchback on both fronts but will

restrict the rejuvenation to cosmetic changes. Polo is expected to don a sporty stance with the new black inserts on its headlamps and revamped designing induced on the alloy wheels. On the interiors, the basic variant of the new Polo will embody an all-new music system head-unit with USB and Bluetooth connectivity. Its higher end variant will be fabricated with unique and modern steering-mounted audio controls.

Nissan reveals 2013 PathfinderYOKOHAMA: In a bid to better its global portfolio, Nissan Motor

Company has officially raised curtains over the photos and videos of the production version of the next generation Nissan Pathfinder. Since the market for SUVs is surging, Nissan aims to capitalise on the demand by offering more fuel-efficient models. The Pathfinder has 3.5 litre V6

engine churning out a power of 260 hp, effectively mated with Xtronic’s continuously variable transmission offered with 2WD, 4WD and Auto mode options. The front-wheel drive model is designed to offer fuel efficiency of 20mpg in city.
Even the 2013 Honda Accord is similar to this rubbish. Are they going back?

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by mejai(m): 6:57am On Aug 14, 2012
To hell wit all des japanese pollution. It sucks wen u mass produce cars. In less dan 2yrs u've different versions of same model( just d lights & side mirror indicator) avalon also included). I hate it. Toyota & honda r worst culprits here. Pls start producin machines(solid rides) & quit makin toys around. Dey constitute nuisance 2 d planet. Back 2 d topic, i still prefer d old model 2 d present one. D former has aura, respect dan dis upgraded corolla/avensis. Thou shall not attck me o, dis is my perspective.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by FlyboyZee: 7:16am On Aug 14, 2012
I think the reduction in size seems to be an in-thing (fad) now in the auto industry. I used to love the preceeding generation of the Hyundai Sonata, because of its size, especially the length. Oh my! I love long cars. But the current generation Hyundai Sonata was so small I initially thought it was an Honda. It won't be surprising therefore if major auto giants follow the fad to cash in on the market with the supposed success of the current 'rejuvenated' Hyundai models. But, what I'm not really cool about is why are they making big cars smaller, when they have smaller cars that can be remodelled?

Maybe this their madness of smaller size would end ASAP, because I'm already missing my long birds.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by nlofficial(m): 7:16am On Aug 14, 2012
mejai: To hell wit all des japanese pollution. It sucks wen u mass produce cars. In less dan 2yrs u've different versions of same model( just d lights & side mirror indicator) avalon also included). I hate it. Toyota & honda r worst culprits here. Pls start producin machines(solid rides) & quit makin toys around. Dey constitute nuisance 2 d planet. Back 2 d topic, i still prefer d old model 2 d present one. D former has aura, respect dan dis upgraded corolla/avensis. Thou shall not attck me o, dis is my perspective.

HAHAHAAHAHA. So true
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by yungboss(m): 7:44am On Aug 14, 2012
I'm no fan of Japanese cars but i must say they make very nice looking cars like the Altima,Camry,Avalon, Lexus, Accord, Infiniti etc. We must also give them credit on some nice engines too.

I don't like the Civic/corlla facia of this very Model, but that's not to say the car is not nice. This is the Fastest production camry to date.
0 to 60 in 5.8sec, 1/4 mile in approx. 14.7sec...thats superb for a family sedan...
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 14, 2012
mejai: To hell wit all des japanese pollution. It sucks wen u mass produce cars. In less dan 2yrs u've different versions of same model( just d lights & side mirror indicator) avalon also included). I hate it. Toyota & honda r worst culprits here. Pls start producin machines(solid rides) & quit makin toys around. Dey constitute nuisance 2 d planet. Back 2 d topic, i still prefer d old model 2 d present one. D former has aura, respect dan dis upgraded corolla/avensis. Thou shall not attck me o, dis is my perspective.

They are still costly to purchase. Wont you love to have them in your garage? All those who commented on having driven the 2007 to 2012 model Camry all mentioned car rentals.

Come to talk of machines, Merscedes and Bently are the cars anyday. R-class in question
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by rocka: 7:56am On Aug 14, 2012
I really don't know what happened to Japanese cars. It seems like the world has gone way ahead of them, even their neighbor - Korea. On the other hand, American cars have come a long way: the 2012 Chrysler 300C and the 2013 Cadillac XTS are both stunning (inside and outside).
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by NnamdiN: 8:01am On Aug 14, 2012
Men talk about their rides, we "boys" read about it. Kai grin

2 Likes

Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 14, 2012
How can a car you've not driven be a miss ?
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 14, 2012
Big miss
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by AjanleKoko: 9:37am On Aug 14, 2012
My neighbour just got one. Weird design. You can hardly tell the difference between the Camry and the Avensis these days. In fact, I like the Avensis better.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by kboss(m): 9:46am On Aug 14, 2012
They are trying to streamline their range. The 2012 camry looks like a bigger version of the 2012 avensis which looks a bigger version of the latest corrola. I expect this trend to extend to the Avalon in the nearest future.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 14, 2012
I just searched the length of the 2011 and 2012 model and they are both 189.2 inches so the care certainly isn't smaller but the design aesthetics makes it look smaller.

I hope the interior is better than the 2011 model because I felt that model wasn't it. The 2011 interior of the accord certainly looked more premium than camry 2011.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by DANILSA(m): 11:20am On Aug 14, 2012
I still de fight with my old camry, the 2011 model I enjoyed was my friends own, when am rich enough to buy car 7.5 million then I will come back and comment. As for now 2011 is kul for people that own one.
Re: The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? by FindOut(m): 11:32am On Aug 14, 2012
Can our Mod please hide these long and unnecessary off-topic posts?

Hmmm....interesting topic.

My view : The Camry 2007 was a HUGE upgrade, wonderful difference from the 2002-2006 model years. So, we were expecting something very refreshing for the 2012 model, so in my view, the 2012 camry, tho not so bad, is BELOW expectation, the exterior especially. The interior is cool, dashboard & steering lovely (especially on the XLE models with navigation). The steering on the xle model looks like a game pad.lol.

But its a toyota camry, and even if it looks like the first generation Volks beetle, people, Nigerians o, americans o, will still buy it. But having seen the 2013/2014 new generation Honda Accord, someone's posted d pic here (the rear looks like the 2014 E-class), mehn, I pity Toyota. That car is way way finer than the Camry & i expect it to sell much more units, even here in Nigeria where we ''worship'' the Camry.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Are Nissan Cars Stronger Than Toyota Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.