Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' (31319 Views)

Is It Really Appointed Unto Man To Die Once???hebrews 9:27 / Dear Nigerian's, Do You Know The Meaning Of These Symbols / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
A MAN or WOMAN dies once and will not wake again till the last day when the resurrection takes place.

There are not 2 judgements but 1 , and this is the white throne judgement.

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." - Revelation 20:11-14

So after the death experience, the next experience the dead will have is the white throne judgement .

This idea that when a MAN or WOMAN dies they immediately go to punishment is not at all biblical. Let us keep things in perspective , pure and simple with no added human complexity.

"For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead." - Acts 17:31

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" - Hebrews 9:27

The later verse supports the fact that after death comes judgement , not some sort of temporary torture or suffering in Hell. Hell is a final event not a temporary measure.

Key Point : Judgement comes after Death not before.

Finally , after Judgement comes the second and final death , which by the way is DEATH , albeit in a quite painful way , not eternal torture.

Let us read the bible and ask for wisdom, relying on status quo interpretations of the bible from so called men of God over the ages , can be quite deceptive and misleading and misrepresent God and his plan for mankind.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
frosbel: A MAN or WOMAN dies once and will not wake again till the last day when the resurrection takes place.

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." - Revelation 20:11-14

So after the death experience, the next experience the dead will have is the white throne judgement .

This idea that when a MAN or WOMAN dies they immediately go to punishment is not at all biblical. Let us keep things in perspective , pure and simple with no added human complexity.

"For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead." - Acts 17:31

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" - Hebrews 9:27

The later verse supports the fact that after death comes judgement , not some sort of temporary torture or suffering in Hell. Hell is a final event not a temporary measure.

Finally , after Judgement comes the second and final death , which by the way is DEATH , albeit in a quite painful way , not eternal torture.

Let us read the bible and ask for wisdom, relying on status quo interpretations of the bible from so called men of God over the ages , can be quite deceptive and misleading and misrepresent God and his plan for mankind.

Looking to read from others.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Joagbaje(m): 1:26am On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel: .

There are actually 2 judgements to my understanding . 1. White throne judgement
2. Judgement Seat of Christ

2Co 5:10
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad

The white throne judgement is for Nations while the judgement seat of Christ is for Christians . The judgement seat of christ will be at the rapture

The whitethrone judgement won't take place until the close of the age after the millennial reign of Christ .

Revelation 20:11
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them

When a sinner dies, he goes to hell . This is not yet judgement . Hell is a temporary abode for the wicked while they await the judgement . A good example is the story of rich man and Lazarus .The wicked rich man went to hell immediately.

Luke 16:23
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

. Hell is a final event not a temporary measure.

Hell is not a final destination , the final destination for the wicked is actually lake of fire and not hell. Hell itself and it's content will be thrown into lake of fire.

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Joagbaje(m): 1:26am On Aug 15, 2012
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 15, 2012
Joagbaje:

Not supported by scripture, , there is but one judgement, remember the sheep and the goats, all judged by Christ on the same day, the sheep granted eternal life and the goats damned.

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." - Matthew 25:31-33

The white throne judgement is for Nations while the judgement seat of Christ is for Christians . The judgement seat of christ will be at the rapture

Jesus Christ is coming ONCE not TWICE . And when he comes, he shall judge all the nations. Remember nations includes ALL. However the believers will be judged for reward while the unbelievers will be judged for damnation.

There is ONE judgement.

The whitethrone judgement won't take place until the close of the age after the millennial reign of Christ .

The white throne judgement happens at the second coming and is a final event. Not sure what you mean by rapture a term not found in the bible.

When a sinner dies, he goes to hell . This is not yet judgement . Hell is a temporary abode for the wicked while they await the judgement . A good example is the story of rich man and Lazarus .The wicked rich man went to hell immediately.

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

When a sinner dies , his spirit returns to God and his body returns to dust.

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." - Ecclesiastes 12:7

The bible never says that a person goes to hell when they die. The word is hades which simply means the grave or the abode of the dead who are all sleeping till the last trumpet shall sound.

"After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." - John 11:11

"Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt." - Daniel 12:2

Hell is not a final destination , the final destination for the wicked is actually lake of fire and not hell. Hell itself and it's content will be thrown into lake of fire.

Hell is actually the lake of fire prepared for the destruction of the devil and his angels. The word Hell used in the bible is almost always translated to the grave or hades, in the old testament this was called Sheol.

No one suffers in torment until the white throne judgement and a verdict has been announced.

God is JUST !!
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by nedostic: 11:11am On Aug 15, 2012
@Joagbaje,

Please kindly know the story of Lazarus and the rich man was a parable.

We should avoid interpreting parables literally just like other books in the bible most especially Revelation and Daniel.

The concept of hell being a temporary or permanent abode for the wicked is something I am yet to fully come to grasp with.

I think Frosbel might be right on this one but I have decided to be open-minded as well.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:39am On Aug 15, 2012
nedostic: @Joagbaje,

We should avoid interpreting parables literally just like other books in the bible most especially Revelation and Daniel.

The concept of hell being a temporary or permanent abode for the wicked is something I am yet to fully come to grasp with.

I think Frosbel might be right on this one but I have decided to be open-minded as well.

I beg to differ - from Jesus' accounts both were real
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

I beg to differ - from Jesus' accounts both were real

3 questions then .

1. Why did Jesus not mention the rich man by name

2. Why did Jesus and others refer to death in the bible , simply as sleeping.

3. What does the bible verse below mean :

"For his spirit goes out and he returns to his earth and in that day all his thoughts are destroyed." - Psalm 146:4

A clue - the story of the rich man and Lazarus was a parable .
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
I stand corrected, apparently there are 2 Lazarus' in the Bible. -carry on wink

frosbel:

3 questions then .

1. Why did Jesus not mention the rich man by name

2. Why did Jesus and others refer to death in the bible , simply as sleeping.

3. What does the bible verse below mean :

"For his spirit goes out and he returns to his earth and in that day all his thoughts are destroyed." - Psalm 146:4

A clue - the story of the rich man and Lazarus was a parable .
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Joagbaje(m): 12:40pm On Aug 15, 2012

The story wasnt a parable. It was a real story and it gave vivid account of region of the dead as at then.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Joagbaje:

The story wasnt a parable. It was a real story and it gave vivid account of region of the dead as at then.

It was a parable.

The rich man represents the Pharisees / Jews while Lazrus represents the gentiles. The phraisess thought they had it all , they proudly assumed they were saved by their privileges especially their possession of the oracles of God . They looked down on the gentiles as dogs.

In my opinion what Jesus is trying to show here is two fold.

1. The Pharisees and all those who were so arrogantly sure of their salvation without repentance will be cast into the lake of fire or Hell for their wickedness , while the repentant gentiles/sinners who were once harlots , thieves will repent in humility from their sins and be saved on the last day.

2. That even if one rose from the dead , which we all know Christ did, they will still persist in their unbelief and rebellion.

To butress the latter point , Jesus Christ rose from the dead and till today the Jews do not believe in Christ with the exception of a few remnant.

Can you also answer this question , the story about the shrewd manager in the same chapter, was this also a true story or a parable ? Context quoted below.

The Parable of the Shrewd Manager

16 Jesus told his disciples: “There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions. 2 So he called him in and asked him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.’
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
"But a man dies and is laid low; he breathes his last and is no more. As the water of a lake dries up or a riverbed becomes parched and dry, so he lies down and does not rise;till the heavens are no more, people will not awake or be roused from their sleep." - Job 14:10-12
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by billyG(m): 4:22pm On Aug 15, 2012

frosbel,most of yu half-baked converts always read d bible upside down their4 exposing yur ignorance how can ignoramus like u can say Lazarus story na parable?any if man is appointed 2 die ones why did lazarus & others die more than ones .
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
billyG:

frosbel,most of yu half-baked converts always read d bible upside down their4 exposing yur ignorance how can ignoramus like u can say Lazarus story na parable?any if man is appointed 2 die ones why did lazarus & others die more than ones .

Who are the they that died more than once , and if the first story in Luke 16 was a parable why is the second story about the rich man and Lazarus not a parable ?

"He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything." - Mark 4:34
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by billyG(m): 5:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

Who are the they that died more than once , and if the first story in Luke 16 was a parable why is the second story about the rich man and Lazarus not a parable ?

"He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything." - Mark 4:34
He!Hee!!ilaugh in hebrew so all Jesus did & said were parables even his death on d cross & resurrection according 2 yur misqoutation Mark4:34
lazarus died & was resurrected does that means lazarus didnot die a physical dead again?i think u need proper conversion cheesy
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by billyG(m): 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

He!Hee!!ilaugh in hebrew so all Jesus did & said were parables even his death on d cross & resurrection according 2 yur misqoutation Mark4:34
lazarus died & was risen does that means lazarus didnot die a physical dead again?if lazarus died & others risen died again(i;e twice) via old age or other causes then that bible verse heb:9:27 is irrelevant & questionable i think u need proper conversion cheesy
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Joagbaje(m): 5:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

Not supported by scripture, , there is but one judgement,

Romans 14:10
But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Both the quick (the living) and the dead are to face judgment. Those alive and dead in Christ will be raptured at His appearing in the air at least seven years before the second coming and setting up of the Millennial kingdom These will be judged at the judgment seat of Christ during these seven years

The living nations will be judged at the second coming ( Mt. 25:31-46 ). The wicked dead will be judged 1,000 years later ( Rev. 20:4-15 ). All judgments will be over by the end of the Millennium. Those who commit sin will be judged and executed if they are worthy of death ( Isa. 11:3-10

Jesus Christ is coming ONCE not TWICE. . . . .
. . . The white throne judgement happens at the second coming and is a final event. Not sure what you mean by rapture a term not found in the bible.

Yes but the second coming is different from the rapture or the saints being caught up. The catching up of the saints (rapture) will take place 7 years before the second coming

And when he comes, he shall judge all the nations. Remember nations includes ALL. However the believers will be judged for reward while the unbelievers will be judged for damnation.

Now you're talking . there's A judgement for believers and a judgment for nations . But there's a thousand years gap between them.

Revelation 20:5
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Joagbaje(m): 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

It was a parable.

The rich man represents the Pharisees / Jews while Lazrus represents the gentiles. The phraisess thought they had it all , they proudly assumed they were saved by their privileges especially their possession of the oracles of God . They looked down on the gentiles as dogs.

This is personal interpretation. Preachers may use it but has connection in bible study.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
billyG:
lazarus died & was risen does that means lazarus didnot die a physical dead again?if lazarus died & others risen died again(i;e twice) via old age or other causes then that bible verse heb:9:27 is irrelevant & questionable i think u need proper conversion cheesy
billyG:

Laugh in Greek if you want , appears you cannot grasp these simple truths.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Benito69(m): 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
A person dies, when resurrection takes place, the next thing is judgement....i think the passage is quite self-explanatory. smiley
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 16, 2012
Benito69: A person dies, when resurrection takes place, the next thing is judgement....i think the passage is quite self-explanatory. smiley

Indeed !!

After death we await judgement, and after judgement comes punishment not before.

To suggest that punishment comes before judgement is illogical.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by ijawkid(m): 10:31am On Aug 16, 2012
Joagbaje:

I really want to know what d rich man did that should make him go to hell fire to burn..............

Just answer this question....
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by chikweezy(m): 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
Seconded!..guys please, I dunno wia some of us get the revelation that after one dies, he/she automatically finds oneself in Heaven or Hell...this understanding is just a far cry from wat d Bible actually implies in Heb 9:27. I think its important we really as God for insight into His word so that we dont get trapped in our own understanding.
A MAN or WOMAN dies once and will not wake again till the last day when the resurrection takes place.
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Jeromejnr(m): 1:14pm On Aug 22, 2015
chikweezy:
Seconded!..guys please, I dunno wia some of us get the revelation that after one dies, he/she automatically finds oneself in Heaven or Hell...this understanding is just a far cry from wat d Bible actually implies in Heb 9:27. I think its important we really as God for insight into His word so that we dont get trapped in our own understanding.

I don't get, where do they go after death?
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by chikweezy(m): 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2015
They go nowhere bro..in fact in Jesus words, "they are asleep"...except u disagree with 1 thess 4 vs 10 - 17 were the bible urges us not to cry for dose who died in christ as they are just asleep, it also tells us in vs 16 dat the "dead in Christ shall rise first" den dose still alive will follow to reign with the Lord forever.
Jeromejnr:

I don't get, where do they go after death?
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by Jeromejnr(m): 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2015
chikweezy:
They go nowhere bro..in fact in Jesus words, "they are asleep"...except u disagree with 1 thess 4 vs 10 - 17 were the bible urges us not to cry for dose who died in christ as they are just asleep, it also tells us in vs 16 dat the "dead in Christ shall rise first" den dose still alive will follow to reign with the Lord forever.

Your questions are answered here. Don't base your belief on assumptions.
https://www.nairaland.com/2544404/difference-between-hell-sheol-paradise
Re: The Meaning Of ' It Is Appointed Unto Man To Die Once And After that Judgement' by ShedrachU(m): 4:07pm On Jan 26, 2016
[quote author=Joagbaje post=11810497]

2Co 5:10
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad

Revelation 20:11
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them

young man, the rich man and lazarus is a mere "parable." ok!

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Arrested In Anambra With Twelve Stolen Children / Biodun Fatoyinbo To Spend Night In Police Custody Over Rape Allegation / BISHOP OYEDEPO: Is CAMA Policy Antichurch?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.