Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,436 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

The Wodaabe People - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Wodaabe People (55072 Views)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / See The Fulani Wodaabe And Tuareg Kel-tamasheq Getting Along In Dance And Drum / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 4:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

When I calculated your percentages in Algebraic expression/formulation....I ended up with 108%. tongue tongue tongue

Well that was embarrassing...its all fixed
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sorry Sis....

Gooooooooooo Wosabi!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
[img]http://bp1.blogger.com/_JF8UtJK3aog/RdnGTPP6lgI/AAAAAAAAAMM/iOjcxuqhur8/s400/wodaabe+9.jpg[/img]

[size=18pt]Political Systems:[/size]

"The two most significant factors in Fulani political systems are clientage and competition. In order to gain political office a Fulani man would have to compete among his fellows for the right to rule. He could show his political favor by demonstrating that he had a large following in the form of individuals and families. By agreeing to become the client of a powerful man or family, a subject would offer tribute in the form of gifts and political support in exchange for security. Wodaabe men often held considerable political power within their own nomadic communities, as well as within the communities in which they settled in northern Nigeria."

culled from: http://saharanvibe..com/2007_02_01_archive.html

I love how they have their own unique system within their ethnicity.
It's almost as if the establishment of national borders or labels means nothing to them. kiss smiley

I hope they keep it up. wink

[img]http://bp0.blogger.com/_JF8UtJK3aog/RdnFe_P6lfI/AAAAAAAAAME/842V9QzLGpE/s400/wodaabe+8.jpg[/img]

"beautiful warriors"... kiss

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
lol its ok Chima. you guys are still on topic. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Woodabe Art: [/size]cheesy

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]More art!![/size]

lmao!! grin

they look like bobble heads!!! grin

it looks like someone went on google...looked up random
wodaabe pix and then made painting because for all of these,
you can find the real pictures on online albums...

Just goes to show these are truly an inspiring and attention grabbing people. kiss
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 4:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
I like the fashion and art. Neat!

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
Originally posted on 8/1/12:

Lol...I'm gonna challenge myself to remake this picture in a drawing by next week..

if all goes well I will post it on NL. cheesy

*The deadline has since passed lol but I will do it! kiss
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wodaabe Beauty:

WOOOOOOW!!! shocked shocked shocked

SHE IS GORGEOUS!!!! cheesy

Wodaabe Mothers/women. kiss

[img]http://rain4sahara.files./2010/02/mcv-group1.jpg[/img]
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
I'm reading up on woodabe hair care...
and why the women cut off parts of their hair..

interesting stuff...I'll post it soon. smiley

Sisterhood cool

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Now this is interesting[/size]....here are a few comparisons of Ancient ppls
believed to be related to the Wodaabe (Fulani) in paitings along with present day Wodaabe.

Ancient Algerian rock art of men preparing for a festival:

Ancient Egyptian art depicting a "Tjehenu" (indigenous Libyan) man...

^^notice the attire...hmmmm... cheesy

>>> I want someone who knows about Wodaabe history to address this! smiley
*after I post findings or bring up the issue of their origin. wink
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
MsDarkSkin: [size=18pt]Now this is interesting[/size]....here are a few comparisons of Ancient ppls
believed to be related to the Wodaabe (Fulani) in paitings along with present day Wodaabe.

Ancient Algerian rock art of men preparing for a festival:

Ancient Egyptian art depicting a "Tjehenu" (indigenous Libyan) man...

^^notice the attire...hmmmm... cheesy

>>> I want someone who knows about Wodaabe history to address this! smiley
*after I post findings or bring up the issue of their origin. wink

I'm guessing the Wodaabe are somewhat Nilo-Saharan?
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]La Musica![/size] cheesy cool

Originally posted by Fulaman198:
This is a Fulani song from Mali, encouraging all Fulani to retain their language and culture (Pulaagu/Pulaaku):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQohOqOHvwA

This is a co-collaboration between Fulani (Wodaabe) and Touaregs, the title of the song is in Fulfulde (Fulani language).

Surbajo means good friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjX1ziHVX8
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Mbororo'en:[/size]

Fulaman198:

Mbororo'en refers to Mbororos or Boroje (like myself who is of original Mbororo heritage and not of royal Fulani political heritage). We are the Fulani that people often forget about when people think of Fulani in Nigeria, they think Rich men in huge Babban Rigas with high political positions. Wodaabe are Mbororo'en. Nomadic Fulani in Niger/Nigeria/Cameroon/Chad/Central African republic are referred to as Mbororo.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Ethiopian Fulani?[/size]

I will research this some more.

Fulani - tribe.net
fulani.tribe.net/Aug 30, 2004 – The Fulani people call themselves Fulbe (Peul in French). ... West-Africa, from Senegal to Cameroon and as far east as Sudan and Ethiopia.

Here is an artist conception of a young Fulani girl (possibly Wodaabe)
in Ethiopia....

(source: http://www.birgitteknaus.com/index.php?id=other)

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
In ref. to Fulanis in Ethiopia:

Fulaman198:

That was Baaba Sa'adu from Cameroon who said "Mi yahi addis adeba, ha lessdi etiyopi. Etiyopi no woodi fulbe" I would have to go to Ethiopia (even though I don't want to) to see if this is true.

Can you imagine? cheesy

These people are literally connected to both sides of the continent. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Ancient Fulani history:[/size]

Every African (native) are descendants of wondering nomads who all originated in central East Africa before making their way to various parts of Africa

Here is a hypothesis on how the Fulani (who are mostly found in West Africa today) came about:

According to http://www.pnas.org/content/107/34/E133.full

the Fulani, who form a distinct population cluster, are more closely related to Chadic- and Central Sudanic-speaking African populations than to other Niger-Kordofanian speakers

AND

according to "The westward wanderings of Cushitic pastoralists. Explorations in the Prehistory of Central Africa" (Roger Blench)

If Chadic and Cushitic languages do have a privileged relationship.then this is best explained by the assumption that Chadic speakers broke away from a branch of Cushitic and moved westwards. In view of the intemal diversification of Chadic this must have been several thousand years ago. Given the long distances involved, it seems likely that this migration took place in the context of a pastoral subsistence system. In other words, a group of Cushitic speakers, herding cattle,sheep and goats, began to drift westward (Blench 1995b

smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Everyday Wodaabe: smiley[/size]

Warriors

That nomadic SWAG! grin grin
[img]http://3.bp..com/_u3PedaJ-N8Q/SNHhV2z8A_I/AAAAAAAAAdQ/4t7gg0qgw_U/s400/1997_276-21A_Wodaabe_fashion.jpg[/img]

Natural Beauties. smiley

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
More. smiley

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
sambos994:

I'm guessing the Wodaabe are somewhat Nilo-Saharan?

Somewhat.

(Present day) NILO-SAHARAN MAP:

They are descendants of nomadic peoples who migrated from central east Africa thousands of years ago.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
finally! tongue

lol.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION! smiley

GUYS/GALS PLEASE DON'T DERAIL THIS ONE.

seriously.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
sambos994: Beautiful people....I think I have a small percentage of Fulani in me

Yes they are. kiss smiley

Mrs.Chima:

When I calculated your percentages in Algebraic expression/formulation....I ended up with 108%. tongue tongue tongue

grin
Re: The Wodaabe People by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
hello anyone here? grin msdarksin im still cencoring you so watch you words. .wink
Re: The Wodaabe People by TerryCarr(m): 4:50am On Aug 15, 2012
fun fact they are a minority in every country except Guinea
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Guinea_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg[/img]
Re: The Wodaabe People by TerryCarr(m): 4:51am On Aug 15, 2012
grin
Re: The Wodaabe People by PhysicsQED(m): 5:01am On Aug 15, 2012
I'm not sure if it's really just a coincidence that most actual Africans seem to be far less interested in the physical features of these people than non-Africans.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:40am On Aug 15, 2012
Wodaabe ki wodaobe ni. Their women are beggars all over lagos causing nuisance everywhere and their men are primitive nomadic killers! only fools are fascinated by these marauders kmt.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Little boys take your tribalism to the right section and or thread.

Your input is not required.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: fun fact they are a minority in every country except Guinea
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Guinea_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg[/img]

really?

Thanks Terry! smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
I see the tribe got haters already!!!

Hey Sis!

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: grin

Natural black beauties.
Some of the finest in West Africa! I love it! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Oba Of Benin's Wife, Queen Ewuare Places A Curse On Online Scammer (Pix) / Oba Obateru Akinruntan's Rolls Royce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.