Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,246 members, 7,780,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:31 PM

The Wodaabe People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Wodaabe People (54846 Views)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / See The Fulani Wodaabe And Tuareg Kel-tamasheq Getting Along In Dance And Drum / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
I see the tribe got haters already!!!

Hey Sis!

Buenos Dias mi hermana wink
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 1:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Buenos Dias mi hermana wink

Sis...you know u r not supposed to know more than one language since you arent African.

Good morning to you as well.como es tu sabe?

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 4:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Encore!!! Beautiful people!!
Re: The Wodaabe People by TerryCarr(m): 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: you can hear the language here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_CzKOy2dk&feature=related

full video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnO1QDqpaQ&feature=related

And this was filmed in Nigeria or somewhere else?
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 5:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
sambos994: Encore!!! Beautiful people!!
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by sbeezy8: 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
these are the main ones cause problems around Nigeria Benin Ghana. wodaabe bororo whatever they called.

why cant we get the peaceful urbanized ones like the ones in Sierre leone, Senegal Gambia. the only civilized ones are the mixed ones.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
I really cant understand how hard it is to follow directions. If you dont have anything meaningful to contribute to the thread dont even bother.

I asked for it not to be derailed. Simple request lol.

I dont give a da.... about politics and African tribalism. I am just paying my respects to a people I find fascinating. I dont care about your personal feelings or what THE FEW who are in Nigeria are doing.

E.O.D
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
sambos994: Encore!!! Beautiful people!!

Indeed they are bro.

Very beautiful. They are quite charming as well. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
sbeezy8: these are the main ones cause problems around Nigeria Benin Ghana. wodaabe bororo whatever they called.

why cant we get the peaceful urbanized ones like the ones in Sierre leone, Senegal Gambia. the only civilized ones are the mixed ones.

I know right? The ones we have kill anyhow. They can never live with the people that host them.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Lol @ the first video. I was cracking up @ the comments. Someone was like "men are the same everywhere" LOL

Those wodaabe guys are COCKY lol.
But its all about appeal so I guess that comes with it. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=18pt]Portrait of a young Wodaabe woman[/size]

[size=13pt]"...with the tribe’s characteristic good looks and self-possession, with the traditional hairstyle and veil. "[/size] wink

http://blkgirlsrock.tumblr.com/post/2957844924/3liza-portrait-of-a-young-wodaabe-woman-with

lol! Check out how many ppl 're-blogged' or 'liked' this picture. cheesy grin

#Wodaabes[b]RULE[/b]
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this picture! cheesy

It captures everything about the wodaabe. They are very much like us; social, fun and very flirtatiousness but very cultured. You see this in this picture alone.

In fact the site I got it from has an awesome write up on the Wodaabe by an English man.
I will post a few excerpts. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Comments on the Wodaabe (Timothy Allen's perspective)

>>>>Wodaabe culture is absolutely fascinating. cool From their incredibly elaborate greetings (often lasting minutes each time) to the wonderful spectacle of Gerewol… all their traditions are born from a life lived on the move and in isolation. In a society such as theirs, gatherings like Gerewol are a hugely important part of what exists of their social scene, and when word gets out on the bush telegraph that a gathering is occurring, people come from many miles around to attend.

>>>>The Wodaabe are an unashamedly vain people. I love this about them. In the UK we are taught coyness and restrain from a very young age. The result in later life is a rather confusing set of cultural dating conventions, where a man is often ashamed to follow his primordial urge to show off to a woman as a ploy to attract her attentions. The Wodaabe have no such issues. Vanity is celebrated in their culture and at the Gerewol, their beautiful men prepare themselves painstakingly carefully and then perform in front of an opinionated female crowd in the hope of attracting their affectations.

>>>>Of course, the other exciting thing about Wodaabe culture is that the responsibility lands upon the men to beautify themselves and appeal to the women, a societal quirk that defies a world wide tradition of the reverse.

(lol one of the picture captions refers to the Cover Girl slogan "because you're worth it" under a Wodaabe man putting on his make up! grin grin)
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
A few Pictures from T. Allen's collection:
(I will feature the women as I want to shed some light on the often ignored but VERY important part of Wodaabe existence) smiley

Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
The daddy is cuteeeeee. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 12:00am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

I am looking at your pictures heffa. angry angry angry angry
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 16, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes cultured, unlike you. .

get the Bleep off of my dick.
all you do is follow me around.

at least wodaabe men get chicks. they don't have to stalk them on the internet.

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 16, 2012
Chima I don't now what picture you are talking about.
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 12:04am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Chima I don't now what picture you are talking about.

The one with the ponytail on the front of his head...that ain't a man? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Never mind girl. No homo here.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 16, 2012
It's so fcking annoying.

ppl dont get the hint.

I don't like you, want anything to do with you YET you follow me around?\

Stop preeing my nuts! DAMN.

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 12:04am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: A few Pictures from T. Allen's collection:
(I will feature the women as I want to shed some light on the often ignored but VERY important part of Wodaabe existence) smiley

The second picture girl.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2012
Yeah I got it. Lol nah that's a woman. grin

or young lady I should say. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by MrsChima(f): 12:08am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Yeah I got it. Lol nah that's a woman. grin

or young lady I should say. smiley

Oh lawd...I am going to jail! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 16, 2012
I am going to shift the focus on the women. But I found this interesting.
There is a site I am about to use for info of Wodaabe women and their own unique
beauty techniques, that go on to explain why many believe the Wodaabe have origins in Etiopia or Egypt:

"Origins? No one knows for sure, but scholars presume upper Nile in Ethiopia or Egypt because of early rock art depicting people who look like Wodaabe"

hmm...

https://www.nairaland.com/1018361/wodaabe-people/1#11804754

https://www.nairaland.com/1018361/wodaabe-people/1#11805309

Mind you this is about these people PRIOR to their migration west ward.

If you ask me, there is NO DOUBT they are from the East BUT between the two I would put them between Egypt and Ethiopia. As Nomadic people, they more than likely lived the same life styles back then, not settling in any particular kingdom or region. They served as traders linking the major camps/kingdoms in the Ancient days, I am willing to bet. smiley

Very fascinating. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 16, 2012
WOWdaabe...

Look @ how tall the brother in the light blue is!! grin

SHEEEEEESH! shocked
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:40am On Aug 16, 2012
African Beauty..

cheesy cheesy
Re: The Wodaabe People by sbeezy8: 12:55am On Aug 16, 2012
PhysicsQED: I'm not sure if it's really just a coincidence that most actual Africans seem to be far less interested in the physical features of these people than non-Africans.

+1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Emir Sanusi Took His Family To Cinema In UK (Photos) / Must See - African Bravery In Pictures!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.