Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,171 members, 7,780,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:45 AM

Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos (8572 Views)

PDP Thugs Batter APC Witnesses At Ekiti Tribunal / Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) / See What Fayose's Thugs Did To Students Who Endorsed Buhari (Viewers Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by jidsoon(m): 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
Four days after Mr. Benedict Uwalaka, a senior photo journalist with the Leadership Newspaper, was pummeled by mortuary attendants at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital in Ikeja, Lagos, southwest Nigeria, two photo journalists were again battered yesterday by thugs on an Iddo-bound train in Lagos.

The journalists, Mr. Idowu Ogunleye, photo editor of TheNews/P.M.NEWS and Mr. Tunde Ogundeji, the former photo editor of the Compass Newspaper, were assaulted as they were taking pictures of passengers hanging and sitting precariously on top of the moving train.

Passengers on a moving train yesterday. Inset: The battered Ogundeji. PHOTOS: Idowu Ogunleye.

Ogundeji, now a freelance photo journalist, sustained a head injury while Ogunleye lost the memory card of his Canon D40 camera.

The journalists were in Ikeja when they noticed that many passengers were hanging on the train and they took photographs from a pedestrian bridge nearby.

“They beat me. They hit me in the head until I ran to the police station at the Ikeja Local Government. I had given my camera to someone else and since they did not see me with the camera, they started beating me,” Ogundeji told P.M.NEWS yesterday after the incident. He said they went to report the matter at the State Traffic Division but the policemen said they were only in charge of traffic and not criminal activities taking place in the area. “We want the government to create more awareness about our job,” Ogunleye said.

“We are not enemies of the society. We also want fellow journalists to start writing about us again in opinion articles and editorial so that the society can understand what our role is.”

Following these unending attacks on journalists, the State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, has planned to stage a protest against this ugly trend.

—Simon Ateba

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/08/14/thugs-batter-photo-journalists-in-lagos/

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by miteolu(m): 4:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Journalists should get long lens camera or carry guns

2 Likes

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by SlyIg(f): 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
The NUJ should better do something very urgently about all these! Its getting too much for crying out loud.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
3rd Rule of Journalism/Common Sense 101 - Understand Your Environment.

You don't go into an untamed lion's cage and expect it to pose for you while you take pictures, so why would you expect anything close to civilized from these thugs? If they were civilized in the first place, they won't be thugs hanging off of a moving train.

Instead of asking Government to create awareness about your job, maybe you should first try to understand what it takes to do your job.

Just Sayin'

4 Likes

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
Na wah oh.nigerians @it again.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by phraze(m): 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2012
Get a Pistol Camera. The perfect shot from the perfect distance.

3 Likes

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
See how people are endangering their own life
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
All I see in that Picture is the indiscipline in Nigeria..

Tomorrow, when one of them dies as a result of that, it will become the fault of the Government..
Thats sheer animalistic behaivior.
I am not surprised.. They are animals and behaved as such..

If I become the President, My first mission is to build 40 New 10,000 inmate a piece Prisons around the country.. Indiscipline is our first disease. Cure the indiscipline, cure the corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Fiawest(m): 4:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
No platform,no orderliness,when are we gonna get here,

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by greatgod2012(f): 4:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
na wa o
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by hammedkola(m): 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
even looking at this train, there is no way you can climb it cos the body will be slippery except you are crazy
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Sijo01(f): 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
Are some Nigerians turning journalist into their training robot in preparation for the next olympic
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Emylexray(m): 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
@sis, i concur with you, these guys are animals with so much indiscipline. The journalists should mind where they take pictures and other stuffs. How dare you go to a thug domain to go take pictures! Thank heavens you (journalist) were rescued, if it was in my area here, they don't mind taking your life.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by adconline(m): 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
Train looks soo inviting to Boko Haram. Riders beware!
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by KejiOJ(m): 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
I was on train ystdy , it was a very funny incident. The logic behind the scene is that. Don't snap guys siting on top of the train. that wasn't the first time of such incident
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Omexonomy: 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill: 3rd Rule of Journalism/Common Sense 101 - Understand Your Environment.

You don't go into an untamed lion's cage and expect it to pose for you while you take pictures, so why would you expect anything close to civilized from these thugs? If they were civilized in the first place, they won't be thugs hanging off of a moving train.

So instead of asking Government to create awareness about your job, maybe you should first try to understand what it takes to do your job.

Just Sayin'

that was how they came to interview us in our office only to write another thing about us. And next time they expect us to be civil whenever they aproach us
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Omexonomy: 4:53pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill: 3rd Rule of Journalism/Common Sense 101 - Understand Your Environment.

So instead of asking Government to create awareness about your job, maybe you should first try to understand what it takes to do your job.

Just Sayin'
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Omexonomy: 4:58pm On Aug 14, 2012

Just Sayin'

that was how they came to interview us in our office only to write another thing about us. And next time they expect us to be civil whenever they aproach us
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by ebamma(m): 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
With all this fighting talents were we get we no win any medals in boxing,wrestling,and taekwondo, something must be wrong somewhere

1 Like

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Biggyd2: 5:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
Lagos na wa o. Looks more like the train is about driving its occupants(the ones hanging by the side and on top) straight to hell!
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Kaleni(m): 5:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
miteolu: Journalists should get long lens camera or carry guns

What a shalow thought..
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by Clemzy16(m): 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Not suprised at all.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by DisGuy: 5:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
had very stern warning about taking pictures on the lagos train earlier this year, there i was snapping away inside the train,
then all of a sudden the flash came on, you should have seen curses upon curses, good things is they didn't know where the flash came from
even this 'decent' looking dude near me was threatening to break the camera- until I showed him I wasn't actually snapping anyone in particular
apparently they feel they are being looked down upon undecided

Ebutte-metta to Agege train experience cheesy
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by DisGuy: 5:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
phraze: Get a Pistol Camera. The perfect shot from the perfect distance.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by kunyeo(m): 5:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
funny,but the reality is that whoever wants to practise photo journalism in a violatile environment like lagos must first master the act of self -defence like karate and taekwando.nobody comes to anybody's aid in lagos.i am sure there were a lot of people around.even the police could not help the guys.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by floridam(m): 6:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
In this modern age when people they use pin mouth camera snap na Im somebody go come go prepare stage carry camera put onto tripod stand wan begin shoot pictures. Kai! Ur beating no go get part two.
Even if u tell them to buy pin mouth camera dem go complain say until their company buy am for them. Anyway sha na u go dey fall victim oooo.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by aieromon(m): 6:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Lagosians are very hostile to people taking camera shots. Its a good thing they didn't throw him down into the ever busy expressway.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by johnstar(m): 6:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Dis pix must entr front page 2day 2day a gal pose taking a photo wit anaconda grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by bonna4u(m): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2012
adconline: Train looks soo inviting to Boko Haram. Riders beware!
grin
adconline: Train looks soo inviting to Boko Haram. Riders beware!
haha

1 Like

Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by bonna4u(m): 6:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
Nigerians are very superstitous, therefore it is not a wise idea to snap people in public with their knowlege.
Next time stay far away and do your thing nicodemously.
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by BUSHMAN1: 7:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
Okija_juju: All I see in that Picture is the indiscipline in Nigeria..

Tomorrow, when one of them dies as a result of that, it will become the fault of the Government..
Thats sheer animalistic behaivior.
I am not surprised.. They are animals and behaved as such..

If I become the President, My first mission is to build 40 New 10,000 inmate a piece Prisons around the country.. Indiscipline is our first disease. Cure the indiscipline, cure the corruption.
or they will say is the handi work of the devil and blame GOD for not saving them
Re: Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos by stagger: 7:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
If some journalist takes my picture without my permission, he is very likely to get very hurt. We live in a world where people like to sell people's personal info for money. Imagine where a member of the crew on location brought out her camera phone and began to film an amorous scene featuring Mercy Johnson. Tell me, WTF was that lady trying to do filming Mercy Johnson, if not to sell the picture to some soft sell publication for them to start selling their junk stories?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Nelson Mandela Said About Nigeria While He Was Alive / The True Story On PDP Deji Adeyanju And APC Segun Dada Bust Off / PDP Alleges Plot To Attack Atiku In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.