Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC (9889 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm Again, Kill OPC Security Guard / I Will Not Resign As PDP Chairman - Modu Sheriff / GEJ To Boko Haram - I Will Not Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by IjeomaObasi: 5:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
The OPC leader says President Goodluck Jonathan should ignore calls for his resignation

The O’odua Peoples Congress (OPC), on Tuesday, in Lagos, asked President Goodluck Jonathan to ignore calls, by the Boko Haram sect, for his resignation.

Frederick Fasehun, the founder of the OPC, said at a news conference that Mr. Jonathan should disregard anybody calling for his resignation.
“It will be a bad precedence for a President to leave his office because of terrorists demanding his removal.
” We cannot override the national assembly, to remove him, if the people think he deserves to be removed,” he said.

Mr. Fasehun said it was wrong for anyone to play the ethno-religious card in contemporary Nigerian politics.
“Religion has no place in Nigerian politics or government,” he said.

The OPC leader said he regrets the nonchalant attitude of some Nigerians to the security problems in the northern part of the country.
“Nobody seems genuinely committed to the unity of Nigeria, which is very worrisome,” Mr. Fasehun said.
According to him, the lack of respect for the country, percolates the entire system, and there is no more respect for our institutions.
Mr. Fasehun urged Nigerians to review their contributions to the nation’s present situation, in order to pull it back from the brink.

“No country has ever survived two civil wars. We have experienced one. Another civil war will be Nigeria’s Armageddon,” he said.
The Ondo State born ethno-cultural leader said the only panacea available for restructuring, reforming, redesigning and transforming the nation was a sovereign national conference.

“We have been calling for a sovereign national conference to solve our national question. If we don’t sit down together to negotiate our future, Nigeria will implode and pass into history.

“If we continue to patch this pseudo-federalism together, by the glue of the faulty 1999 constitution, the ethnic nationalities will continue to wallow in suspicion, hunger, anger, poverty, ignorance and superstition,” Mr. Fasehun said.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/96458-dont-resign-opc-tells-jonathan.html
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Boazizzy08: 5:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Indeed this a fair and educating piece.we just have few persons who are committed to national peace and unity.this terrorists are gaining more sympathizers daily.we sure need to put this into our heads.
#God bless Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Chanchit: 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
Na wa o, if person dey inside deep sh!!t, even mad man go give you advice... I tnk OPC, tnks for the concern...

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Kpac(m): 7:20am On Aug 15, 2012
Getting Facts Straight
First and foremost, judging from history, GEJ does not answer calls from the public or any spokes person of any group in this country.....No matter what pages of national dallies is used as advice,threat or call of resignation of him or any member of his cabinet, he would not answer.
So fasheun should count his speech as his own noble contribution to this country,which inspires us that we still have some good sides in our leaders.
GEJ Ethicity Problem
In my opinion,in the history of this country, we haven't being so ethnically divided and so religiously sentimental like we've been since the past year,of course we have always been aware Nigeria is multi ethnical but our ethnicity awareness have grown under GEJ administration rapidly.
Some of the reasons for these, worth metioning is :
1. GEJ mismanaging past political convicts and militants
2. GEJ's kinsmen and his silence to their excesses.
Most of our past leaders did equally embezzle and mismanaged the presidency but they didn't act too unchecked like GEJ.....Obasanjo wouldn't have done some things GEJ did because the Gani fawehinmi, the tinubu, the falana, the Bola Ige, the top tradional rulers and other intelligent old men all from his own tribe would have being the first to nail him on the cross and attack him immensely.....but GEJ's kinsmen are opposite, even if GEJ takes a littre of petrol to 450, the top people,tradional rulers,ex militants and leaders of other groups in bayelsa would salute him faithfully.....These things are major factors that is dividing us in his government.
Resignation
In some areas GEJ is performing or maybe I rephrase by saying, in some areas, GEJ has put people that are performing but in all checks and balances, GEJ and his goverment has seriously under performed, beyond ethnicity or religion, that is the factor Nigerians are crying about and so, as an underperforming president,anybody can make any call for his resignation or impeachment, as long as he/she is a Nigerian.

22 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by stallion2: 7:39am On Aug 15, 2012
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by ariyebaba(m): 7:41am On Aug 15, 2012
Who are the people calling for the resignation of GEJ ?
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by ifihearam: 7:48am On Aug 15, 2012
Where they ever thinking the president will resign??whoever asks the president to resign is an enemy of this country and must be treated as such.
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by gistme24(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2012
My question has always been: what have we got to lose if we give sovereign national conference a chance?
Particularly when everythign else we have tried seems not to be working?
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 15, 2012
ariyebaba: Who are the people calling for the resignation of GEJ ?

Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by sunkoye: 7:52am On Aug 15, 2012
Ijeoma Obasi:

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/96458-dont-resign-opc-tells-jonathan.html
“It will be a bad precedence for a President to leave his office because of terrorists demanding his removal".
very crap
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by slimdiggi: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2012
Finally some sense in this resignation saga!
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Dreyl(m): 7:54am On Aug 15, 2012
I'm just sick and tired of ol dis story *yawn*
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by madeinnigeria: 7:55am On Aug 15, 2012
They should leave JONATHAN alone and let all of us as nigerians have PATIENCE cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by realmscape: 7:59am On Aug 15, 2012
let better people talk...what is OPC....SHIT MA ASS... cool
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Demdem(m): 8:02am On Aug 15, 2012
I disagree with OPC. An empty head in an empty hat who regards Evil Boko has his siblings cant lead us to the promised land.

4 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Elueme: 8:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Ok, we don hear, na same old story.. Tanx 4 lending your voice.. Next!
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by martyns303(m): 8:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Do you know If you google the phrase "sovereign national conference" 90% of the results are Nigeria related?

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Demdem(m): 8:06am On Aug 15, 2012
gistme24: My question has always been: what have we got to lose if we give sovereign national conference a chance?
Particularly when everythign else we have tried seems not to be working?

I wonder what we are still waiting for?
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by chucky234(m): 8:06am On Aug 15, 2012
ifihearam: Where they ever thinking the president will resign??whoever asks the president to resign is an enemy of this country and must be treated as such.
Sentimental lord,no sorry ooo I wan say GEJ houseboy

2 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Clerverly: 8:06am On Aug 15, 2012
Nobody is interested in his resignation, so he should'nt use that to continue to under-perform. We have accepted to endure his rudderless leadership till 2015 if Nigeria still remained one indivisible country.
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by chucky234(m): 8:08am On Aug 15, 2012
made in nigeria: They should leave JONATHAN alone and let all of us as nigerians have PATIENCE cheesy
I can see why your moniker is "made in Nigeria,you be mumu-maga
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by tempest01(m): 8:09am On Aug 15, 2012
Kpac: Getting Facts Straight
First and foremost, judging from history, GEJ does not answer calls from the public or any spokes person of any group in this country.....No matter what pages of national dallies is used as advice,threat or call of resignation of him or any member of his cabinet, he would not answer.
So fasheun should count his speech as his own noble contribution to this country,which inspires us that we still have some good sides in our leaders.
GEJ Ethicity Problem
In my opinion,in the history of this country, we haven't being so ethnically divided and so religiously sentimental like we've been since the past year,of course we have always been aware Nigeria is multi ethnical but our ethnicity awareness have grown under GEJ administration rapidly.
Most of our past leaders did equally embezzle and mismanaged the presidency but they didn't act too unchecked like GEJ.....Obasanjo wouldn't have done some things GEJ did because the Gani fawehinmi, the tinubu, the falana, the Bola Ige, the top tradional rulers and other intelligent old men all from his own tribe would have being the first to nail him on the cross and attack him immensely.....but GEJ's kinsmen are opposite, even if GEJ takes a littre of petrol to 450, the top people,tradional rulers,ex militants and leaders of other groups in bayelsa would salute him faithfully.....These things are major factors that is dividing us in his government.
Resignation
In some areas GEJ is performing or maybe I rephrase by saying, in some areas, GEJ has put people that are performing but in all checks and balances, GEJ and his goverment has seriously under performed, beyond ethnicity or religion, that is the factor Nigerians are crying about and so, as an underperforming president,anybody can make any call for his resignation or impeachment, as long as he/she is a Nigerian.
to give it to him in areas he has performed, you beat around the bush...to say the areas he has not performed, you don't hesitate...sentiments!

8 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by tempest01(m): 8:09am On Aug 15, 2012
Kpac: Getting Facts Straight
GEJ Ethicity Problem
Resignation
to give it to him in areas he has performed, you beat around the bush...to say the areas he has not performed, you don't hesitate...sentiments!

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 15, 2012
I have never heard of a nigerian president resigning and so it won't start from GEJ. undecided
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by oiseworld: 8:14am On Aug 15, 2012
the president can not resign, how do they expect him to. If he resigns to boko haram then Nigeria is gone. It would be a shame for anyone who takes that position after the resignation of a president.
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by madeinnigeria: 8:15am On Aug 15, 2012
cheesy
chucky234: I can see why your moniker is "made in Nigeria,you be mumu-maga
..adults don't trade insults.i can see you a are looking for cheap fame but its gonna cost you

5 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by chucky234(m): 8:15am On Aug 15, 2012
What is OPC ? Are they into the manufacturing of Yoruba Juju,I think that's what OPc stands for. But why would such organisation have the gut to GEJ what to do,they are just struggling for relevance.
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 15, 2012
The calls for Sovereign National Conference tantamount to squashing the present parliamentarians in our legislatures. The SNC is nothing more than representatives of all ethnic nationalities within Nigeria gathering to make suggestions on the way forward. So in essence, I think what needs to be done by those calling for SNC should be to present their inquiries and issues to the Parliaments for resolution. From my understanding, the major issue is if Nigeria should continue as a country, my personal opinion is YES, we should continue as a country but under a perfect confederal system of Government where each state is autonomous with "constitutional obligations, contribution and revenue responsibilities" to the Abuja. This will allow each state to function as power houses of respective people.

2 Likes

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by Omexonomy: 8:18am On Aug 15, 2012
Demdem: I disagree with OPC. An empty head in an empty hat who regards Evil Boko has his siblings cant lead us to the promised land.
DID YOU RE-READ WHAT YOU WROTE B4 YOU SUBMIT. Please next time try and do that.
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by chucky234(m): 8:20am On Aug 15, 2012
made in nigeria: cheesy..adults don't trade insults.i can see you a are looking for cheap fame but its gonna cost you
You call yourself adult,that shows how clueless you are.
Adults analyse the problems of this nation then proffer solutions,so what do you think we do?
I'd:iotic goon
Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by kaeto(m): 8:20am On Aug 15, 2012
It takes the wise to appreciate the wise. Mr Fasehun, I consider you a wise father as I have got from you what I never knew all my life,''No country survives '2' civil wars'' , both fact and true. Some ill-breds here have resorted to name calling, but I assure the butts heads ,it doesn't matter sir, what you do for a living in as much as it exists within the confines of legality. Yes,OPC you may have founded and been, a 'tout?' as some here would say, but to me a hero,speaking what many clerics and religeous heads shy away from. You could have joined the gang of goons from your region, but you held on to yours,waging the greatest war, one against your self, your mind and conscience and came on refined. Thanks so much for this piece, Godbless...

1 Like

Re: 'Jonathan Should Not Resign' - OPC by chucky234(m): 8:24am On Aug 15, 2012
Billyonaire: The calls for Sovereign National Conference tantamount to squashing the present parliamentarians in our legislatures. The SNC is nothing more than representatives of all ethnic nationalities within Nigeria gathering to make suggestions on the way forward. So in essence, I think what needs to be done by those calling for SNC should be to present their inquiries and issues to the Parliaments for resolution. From my understanding, the major issue is if Nigeria should continue as a country, my personal opinion is YES, we should continue as a country but under a perfect confederal system of Government where each state is autonomous with "constitutional obligations, contribution and revenue responsibilities" to the Abuja. This will allow each state to function as power houses of respective people.
Haba money bag,present which inquiries and issues to which parliaments? SNC is the only resolution and there is nothing you or anyone else will say that would make us think otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Afikpo People Igbos? / Winifred Oyo-Ita: GLIS N16bn Not Missing In My Office / Niger Abduction: 11 Students Released By Gunmen As Gov. Bello Condemns Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.