Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano (4792 Views)

Suicide Bomber Refuses To Detonate Her Explosive Out Of Mercy (PHOTOS) / Police Recovers Bombs, IED In Yobe (photos) / Boko Haram Suicide Bomber Killed After Vest Failed To Detonate (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by karlmax2: 10:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kano State police command has recovered and detonated 963 improvised explosive devices (IEDs) of different kinds and in different locations in the state in the last eight months.

The State Police Commissioner, Mr. Ibrahim Idris said: “From August 1, the command was able to detonated a bomb at FCE Kano, 10 undetonated explosives at Rijiyar Zaki along Jambulo Estate and four IEDs recovered and detonated at the same Rijiyar Zaki on August 6 and another one at BUK.”

Idris said out of the 963 bombs detonated, two were suicide primed car bombs, adding that all the IEDs were successfully detonated from January 20 to date. He also said the detonated bombs causes no any injury or damage.

Addressing reporters on Tuesday at the Police Officers Mess, the police commissioner disclosed that items recovered by the command within the two weeks include, 26 IEDs, 10 round of ammunition, two pistols, one pump action shot gun, one air rifle and nine double barrel shot guns.

Idris said other items recovered were two AK 47, one AK 47 riffle, 226 cartridges, 12 knives,  11 stolen vehicles were recovered and 45round of ammunitions, stressing that the command is always ready to ensure its role of ensuring the security of people and their properties.

“We are always combat ready in the state and we are always appealing to the public to report any suspicious persons or movement to the nearest security outfit for proper action."

The commissioner also explained that 108 persons suspected to be criminals were arrested at different hideouts of the state, while 92 of them have been charged to court for different offences ranging from being in possession of Indian hemp, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons.

He said the command had a strategy to ensure a safe Eid Fitr celebration in the state.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/police-detonate-963-ied-s-in-kano/122380/
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by julimax(m): 10:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
He said the command had a strategy to ensure a safe Eid Fitr celebration in the state.

We shall see undecided wish them well though
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Aug 15, 2012
WOW!!

Thats some serious shiit!!

Who are they planning on killing?!
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Knight1(m): 9:25am On Aug 15, 2012
DEFUSE! DEFUSE! DEFUSE!

Even Thisday Editors don't know the difference between defuse and detonate
smh :-XDEFUSE! DEFUSE! DEFUSE!

smh

3 Likes

Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Neku(m): 9:32am On Aug 15, 2012
God help them to defuse more IEDs and also seize more weapons from this fanatics! Ī hope the main suppliers and sponsors of this sect would be captured soon.......GOD BLESS NIGERIA,GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION!God help them to defuse more IEDs and also seize more weapons from this fanatics! Ī hope the main suppliers and sponsors of this sect would be captured soon.......GOD BLESS NIGERIA,GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION!God help them to defuse more IEDs and also seize more weapons from this fanatics! Ī hope the main suppliers and sponsors of this sect would be captured soon.......GOD BLESS NIGERIA,GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION!
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by 2goodbobo(m): 9:33am On Aug 15, 2012
Knight1: DEFUSE! DEFUSE! DEFUSE!

smh

Please help me tell them abeg! I wonder why is hard for them to differentiate between Detonate and Defuse
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by duni04(m): 9:50am On Aug 15, 2012
Knight1: DEFUSE! DEFUSE! DEFUSE!

smh
I think its you that's just being unnecessarily grammar sensitive. Detonate in this context means a controlled explosion to totally remove the threat of the bomb, as opposed to defusing the bomb which would only disarm the bomb and not really get rid of it. They appear opposite but in this context could very well mean the same thing.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by jamil2(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2012
Good news, May Allah continue in helping them in defusing and detonating the plant of these bastards Ameen.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by naptu2: 10:21am On Aug 15, 2012
How come some people don't know what a controlled detonation is?
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by naptu2: 10:40am On Aug 15, 2012
naptu2: Re: Nigerian Air Force Bomb-Detonating Robot, Tracking Device by naptu2: 9:59am On Jul 24

[size=14pt]Controlled Explosion/Detonation[/size]

A controlled explosion is a method for detonating or disabling a suspected explosive device.

Methods which are used to set off a controlled explosion include emptying out the area and moving the package (with the aid of robots) into a confined space such as a telephone booth.

Another classic method of controlled explosion is to place the bomb in a skip and fill it with sand before detonating it with a self-incendiary device or a fuse.

Controlled explosions are becoming quite common in the UK, especially in the South East where, because there is a lot of development, unexploded World War II bombs are often found by construction diggers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_explosion

naptu2:
Re: Nigerian Air Force Bomb-Detonating Robot, Tracking Device by naptu2: 9:53am On Jul 24

[size=14pt]Police Robot Tasks[/size]

Because the majority of police robots are highly mobile and have sophisticated audio and visual systems, police have the option to use them in several situations. The most common use for a police robot is in bomb removal and disposal. While robots are expensive, the cost is small compared to that of human life. Some robots are so tough that they can survive multiple blasts. Still, most of the time the goal is to avoid any sort of explosion at all.

When investigating a potential bomb, police officers use the cameras on the robot to assess the situation. If the robot is able to reach the suspicious device, the operator can use the claw to grip the device, lift it and move it to a cleared location for detonation. In cases where the device isn't easily accessible or appears to have a triggering mechanism that will activate if the device moves, police may have to detonate the device on-site.

Robots can also be used as a surveillance device. A robot with microphones and night vision can approach a potentially unsafe area while broadcasting information back to the operator. Using a robot can help reduce the time it takes for police to assess a situation, without placing an officer at risk.

By using the two-way audio system, police can communicate with anyone from suspects to hostages. Robots are useful in negotiation situations because unless they're visibly armed, they're relatively nonthreatening. Another benefit is that the robot's cameras can continue gathering information while police use the audio system to communicate with people in dangerous situations. The police can also use robots to deliver items like food to victims and suspects in hostage situations without risking an officer's life.

Some robots have sensors that can detect anything from narcotics to biological, radioactive or chemical weapons. Robots help first responders determine how dangerous an area is quickly and safely. Operators can maneuver robots through hazardous environments to find survivors. Some robots are strong enough to drag victims out of lethal situations.

Companies like Remotec and RoboticFX are constantly working to develop new robots for police forces, the military and other organizations that deal with hazardous situations. Newer models have better maneuverability, longer-lasting batteries, arms with more points of articulation and new accessories designed to help officers perform dangerous tasks.

In the future, robots might be more autonomous, eliminating the need for a human operator calling the shots from a command console. As robots become more agile, we may see an increase of an armed robotic police presence.

But even when companies can meet all the technological demands of an autonomous, armed police force, there'll still be social and political hurdles. What happens if a police robot malfunctions and harms someone, for example? Also, robots are expensive to purchase and maintain and require an officer's input to function.

But their drawbacks are minor when you consider that robots help keep law enforcement officials safe. For now, police robots are pretty rare -- there's little chance you'll bump into one the next time you're at Krispy Kreme -- but in a few decades, we might just see a rocket-shaped robot officer on wheels instructing us when to cross the street at the crosswalk.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/police-robot3.htm

Picture below: A robot places a small explosive device to destroy a larger car bomb. After the explosion, the robot returns to the vehicle to check for any unexploded devices.

Cris Bouroncle/ AFP/ Getty Images

1 Share

Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Onyenna(m): 10:47am On Aug 15, 2012
....Wtf!!!!!
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by duni04(m): 10:50am On Aug 15, 2012
naptu2:

You went tru all this stress just to make a point? Mean say u vex gan o cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by naptu2: 10:53am On Aug 15, 2012
duni04:
You went tru all this stress just to make a point? Mean say u vex gan o cheesy

grin grin grin

If you read the comments on the original thread you'll understand why.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Sylverbox(m): 11:36am On Aug 15, 2012
Detonate 4 real? Mayb they mean Defuse....
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 15, 2012
MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH PUNISH BOKO HARAM FOR ALL THIS BOMBING
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Chygoz2(m): 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
How come editors don't know the difference between detonate and defuse? SMH
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Chygoz2(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
How come some editors don't know the difference between detonate and defuse? SMH
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Player01(m): 3:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
It is defuse eeeh! Well, it is better than someone saying "my husband is a good couple" lipsrsealed.

Evidence of our high schooling standards.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by strangest(m): 3:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
Defuse ni? You want make they pull the wrong wire and blow themselves, I think they really mean detonate, maybe like throw stones at the suspected bomb from a distance ofcourse...
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Knight1(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
I agree with you...I'm aware of such robots and bombs...but Nigerian media uses detonate when I'm sure they mean defuse.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by Daunashamed(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
2goodbobo:

Please help me tell them abeg! I wonder why is hard for them to differentiate between Detonate and Defuse
maybe we should donote money to get them a dictionary
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by dedeike: 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
Thumbs up. Keep up the fight against terrorism while GEJ haters continue to blab on the pages of newspapers and Nairaland.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by gsalvatore: 11:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
WTF are u talking about here. What's all this with context? A simple dictionary will clarify you. You make it difficult to convince you that strawberry is sweeter than banana.,FYI police detonating IEDs means we are not safe not the other way round. And plz stop confusing people here on nairaland or anywhere with "context" and all that. If bomb detonate wahala dey so police beta defuse the bomb.
duni04:
I think its you that's just being unnecessarily grammar sensitive. Detonate in this context means a controlled explosion to totally remove the threat of the bomb, as opposed to defusing the bomb which would only disarm the bomb and not really get rid of it. They appear opposite but in this context could very well mean the same thing.
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by naptu2: 11:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
gsalvatore: WTF are u talking about here. What's all this with context? A simple dictionary will clarify you. You make it difficult to convince you that strawberry is sweeter than banana.,FYI police detonating IEDs means we are not safe not the other way round. And plz stop confusing people here on nairaland or anywhere with "context" and all that. If bomb detonate wahala dey so police beta defuse the bomb.

I stood on Ikorodu Road while the american military team detonated (and I mean detonated) bombs @ Ikeja Cantonement. It was a controlled detonation. I could hear the explosion, but nobody was hurt.

It's not all bombs that can be defused and when a bomb cannot be safely defused the authorities carry out controlled detonation.

Read the article I posted above (Duni04 you see why I posted that article?).
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by blackbeau1(f): 9:15am On Aug 16, 2012
It would have Been more amazing if they told me they had found a way to end this problem
Re: Police Detonate 963 Ied’s In Kano by duni04(m): 9:21am On Aug 16, 2012
naptu2:

I stood on Ikorodu Road while the american military team detonated (and I mean detonated) bombs @ Ikeja Cantonement. It was a controlled detonation. I could hear the explosion, but nobody was hurt.

It's not all bombs that can be defused and when a bomb cannot be safely defused the authorities carry out controlled detonation.

Read the article I posted above (Duni04 you see why I posted that article?).
Yea I see y. So many illiterates in town....very pathetic.SMH sad

(1) (Reply)

Next Year Is Nigeria’s Hour Of Glory Says Olawepo Hashim / This Girl Is A Fraudster / This Picture Is The Only Thing The North Truly Fears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.