Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,923 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:34 AM

Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft (21407 Views)

Flavour N'abania Spotted Buying Bananas By The Roadside (photos) / Flavour N'abania And Laura Ikeji In Abidjan - Photo / Flavour N'abania Shares 1998 Picture Of Himself As A Drummer-boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Cornel88(m): 12:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
kwarikwa, wutah, kotosa, kobby etc... Majority of us now knw u ppl at least 4 a week. As 4 me, I wil soon forget ur names, wutah, kotosa etc. Lol... But if it is true, flavour is indeed an ashawo.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Cornel88(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
sally bonne: @op if dis news is anything to go by, how come they did not complain when the first kwarikwa came out now that the remix is out with fally iupa they are complaining, all d foreign artist we have been copying and infringing their music make them sue everybody now, so what they will order flavour to ghana law court abi they will go to ICc, mtcheew
Dey dont hav enough money to sue when d first em... em... when d first song came out. So since den dey hav been savin money to sue. I guess dey now hav d money. But i'm sure dat afta d first adjurnment, dey wil die d case.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Nightshift(m): 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
Even if it's called "Kwarikwata", does it sound like Ghanaians 'Asonto' beats? Since Ghanaian musicians choose 'Asonto' over their beautiful Highlife music, I have no likeness or sympathy for their music .
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by biggzman: 1:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ghana suckers lookin 4 cheap popularity.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by mikeapollo: 1:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
It is interesting that this matter has come up this way.

I have been saying it for sometime now.
The trhtym, rhyme etc of the reigning fast tempo african highlife beat which virtually every Nigerian young musician is playing now e.g Flavour, Omawumi, PSquare,JMartins, Duncan Mighty,Iyanya even Idris Abdulkareem etc came from Ghana.

There is no doubt that Nigerian musicians have been adopting the new highlife beats(which Ghanaaians call HipLife), but now called Afro hip-hop in Nigeria. The Ghanaians are the original masters of the style, but collaborations and cooperations with Nigerian artistes have made Nigerians to adopt the style as well.

The rhtyhm and beaths in Omawumi's 'Bottom Belle', and Iyanya's 'Kukere' songs are classical examples of what I am talking about. Infact, some of the young boys featured dancing in Iyanya's Kukere video were copied/lifted from some clips of Ghanaians dancing 'Azonto'. It was lifted from youtube

If you recall, it was Sound City's Music Africa (on STV) that exposed the Nigerian music audience to that style of music. We used to see a lot of Ghana music on STV, songs that were faster and dance-hall African highlife. There was a group called Praye with their 'I and My Shordy are One' Song; 4X4 group with 'Oluman Boogey' and 'You May Kiss The Bride'
Then VIP came with their hit song which was very popular in Nigeria and was even adopted by Patience Ozokwo in her album.

Tony Tetuila was the first among the current Nigerian musicians to adopt a similar style when he went into partnership with Tictac of Ghana

After that, virtually every young/new Nigerian musician have all adopted the Ghanaian hip-life style of a beats. rhythm and rhymes in their music.

If you listen to the Ghanaian fast tempo hip-life/highlife songs in the late 90s to early 2000s, and then check the trend in Nigeria in the last 5-7 years, you would see that the current so called Afro hip-hop sounds being played by Nigerian musicians actually are imitations of what they learnt or adopted from Ghana.

Interestingly, Nigerian musicians seem to be using the adopted style more profitably because most Nigerian musicians sing in English, so they are able to reach a wider audience and make more in-roads into Africa, while Ghanaian musicians use more of their local dialects to deliver their lyrics, hence they dont seem to penetrate the larger African markets like their Nigerian counterparts.

But in terms of originality, the current Afro hip-hop beats currently making waves in Nigeria actually came from Ghana.

If you cast your minds back to 10 years ago, there was nothing like that kind of fast paced highlife/ Afro hip-hop style of beat in Nigeria.That was when Nigerian musicians were still struggling to play R&B and American Hip-Hop with people like Eedris, Tuface etc leading the pack.
But right now, check out the trend....the fast tempo highlife is what everybody is dancing to right now in Nigeria.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by publisher(m): 1:31pm On Aug 15, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Nightshift(m): 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
All the "Bumper to Bumper" generation of Nigerian musicians are copy-cats. All their popular albums are full of fake copies of the great beats of Congolese Soukous music. Those beats from Kofi Olomide, Awilo Logomba, Werrason, and more recently the ones from the popular Toofan from Togo are indiscriminately copied by those Nigerian musicians. Where are you Femi and Seun Kuti, Lagbaja, Adewale Ayuba, Bright Chimezie, Tony Okororji, Majek, Mike Okri?
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by mikeapollo: 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nightshift: All the "Bumper to Bumper" generation of Nigerian musicians are copy-cats. All their popular albums are full of fake copies of the great beats of Congolese Soukous music. Those beats from Kofi Olomide, Awilo Logomba, Werrason, and more recently the ones from the popular Toofan from Togo are indiscriminately copied by those Nigerian musicians. Where are you Femi and Seun Kuti, Lagbaja, Adewale Ayuba, Bright Chimezie, Tony Okororji, Majek, Mike Okri?

Thank God for an objective and informed person like you.

Many people here talk loud about things they are even ignorant of.

If you check the Sound City's Music Africa on STV in the early 2000s and listen to the beats of Ghana music and compare to what we are hearing now from Nigeria musicians...you would realise what I am talking about.
It is about 90% a copy of Ghana music style.(the fast tempo highlife or what they call modern Kpalongo/hip-life).
We did not have such beats in the 90s and even up to 5-6 years ago!
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Nightshift(m): 2:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
@mikeapollo: thank you, bros. You know, African music is still the only thing that gives millions of Africans an unequalled happiness and joy. It promotes good health by keeping high- blood pressure at Bay. Therefore , it's our collective duty to offer positive criticism to the industry.
As a lover of African music , i prefer it raw and original. From Salif Kaita of Mali, Youssou N'Dour of Senegal , Franko , Mbila Bell of Congo, Manu Dibango of Cameroon, to Osita Osadebe and Fela Kuti , all these musicians have two things in common - African and original! Apart from Asa, 9nice, Nneka and the Okoyes (Psquare), I'm sorry , i don't see any of the "Bumper to Bumper" ones displaying any of the formers musical attributes. That's why i like Congolese Soukous, from the Franko's 4-5 decades ago, to the present days of Fally Ipupa or General Defoe, they've remained original while preserving their creativity . While Lagbaja can fill a hall displaying his skills with a trumpet or saxophone like Miles Davis , can the same be said of Timaya? Meanwhile , Timaya and co are making money, but the quality of Nigerian music is dying in their hand....
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mortiple: Truth be told, the two songs are similar! Many Naija artists are intellectual property thieves who scavenge on the songs of other artists from within and outside, that many of us are not exposed to, only to change the lyrics and produce. Lazy things!!!

Flavour came to limelight through late Cardinal Rex Lawson's hit song "Ashawo". I do not reckon him as a musician.

For this nonsense to stop, the government should criminalize it. Many of these copy cats are smiling to the bank whereas the owners/beneficiaries of these intellectual property are wallowing in penury.

If the likes of Rex Lawson, Osadebe, Victor Uwaifo, etc had not produced original songs, probably we wouldn't be listening to anything today.

I'm convinced only you actually listened to the full tracks to compare. Calling them similar na understatement. Some of the lyrics were lifted too.

*continues sobbing*
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Eifeh(m): 3:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
2sa2: Its a shame that this flavour guy cannot be original, let them sue the bastard cool
next person maybe wizkid Azonto hmm naija no carry last. Nothing dem fit do odisha.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by safarigirl(f): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
Now that we've noticed them, they can return to whatever caves they were living in before. Any song done in this millenium was gotten from another person, there is no originality whatsoever so nobody should come here screaming 'Flavor too dey copy'.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by safarigirl(f): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
mikeapollo: It is interesting that this matter has come up this way.

The trhtym, rhyme etc of the reigning fast tempo african highlife beat which virtually every Nigerian young musician is playing now e.g Flavour, Omawumi, PSquare,JMartins, Duncan Mighty,Iyanya even Idris Abdulkareem etc came from Ghana.

There is no doubt that Nigerian musicians have been adopting the new highlife beats(which Ghanaaians call HipLife), but now called Afro hip-hop in Nigeria. The Ghanaians are the original masters of the style, but collaborations and cooperations with Nigerian artistes have made Nigerians to adopt the style as well.

The rhtyhm and beaths in Omawumi's 'Bottom Belle', and Iyanya's 'Kukere' songs are classical examples of what I am talking about. Infact, some of the young boys featured dancing in Iyanya's Kukere video were copied/lifted from some clips of Ghanaians dancing 'Azonto'. It was lifted from youtube

If you recall, it was Sound City's Music Africa (on STV) that exposed the Nigerian music audience to that style of music. We used to see a lot of Ghana music on STV, songs that were faster and dance-hall African highlife. There was a group called Praye with their 'I and My Shordy are One' Song; 4X4 group with 'Oluman Boogey' and 'You May Kiss The Bride'
Then VIP came with their hit song which was very popular in Nigeria and was even adopted by Patience Ozokwo in her album.

Tony Tetuila was the first among the current Nigerian musicians to adopt a similar style when he went into partnership with Tictac of Ghana

After that, virtually every young/new Nigerian musician have all adopted the Ghanaian hip-life style of a beats. rhythm and rhymes in their music.

If you listen to the Ghanaian fast tempo hip-life/highlife songs in the late 90s to early 2000s, and then check the trend in Nigeria in the last 5-7 years, you would see that the current so called Afro hip-hop sounds being played by Nigerian musicians actually are imitations of what they learnt or adopted from Ghana.

Interestingly, Nigerian musicians seem to be using the adopted style more profitably because most Nigerian musicians sing in English, so they are able to reach a wider audience and make more in-roads into Africa, while Ghanaian musicians use more of their local dialects to deliver their lyrics, hence they dont seem to penetrate the larger African markets like their Nigerian counterparts.

But in terms of originality, the current Afro hip-hop beats currently making waves in Nigeria actually came from Ghana.

If you cast your minds back to 10 years ago, there was nothing like that kind of fast paced highlife/ Afro hip-hop style of beat in Nigeria.That was when Nigerian musicians were still struggling to play R&B and American Hip-Hop with people like Eedris, Tuface etc leading the pack.
But right now, check out the trend....the fast tempo highlife is what everybody is dancing to right now in Nigeria.
BULLSH1T! Omawumi's Bottom belle is a copy of a Nigerian song from the late 50's, West African beats sound alike, so you can't attribute any beat to one country. Who no dey copy? Mention any song and I betcha it had an original, even those from VIP . With a good lawyer, that case won't greet a court sitting, in fact, it won't even pass Nairaland sef, na today all these attention seekers start? Wetin do Blackface wey accuse Tu face of stealing African Queen, and that Ekiti chic that accused Wizkid of stealing Pakurumo? Mtcheww, hungry desperados
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by teetee123: 4:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mortiple: Truth be told, the two songs are similar! Many Naija artists are intellectual property thieves who scavenge on the songs of other artists from within and outside, that many of us are not exposed to, only to change the lyrics and produce. Lazy things!!!

Flavour came to limelight through late Cardinal Rex Lawson's hit song "Ashawo". I do not reckon him as a musician.

For this nonsense to stop, the government should criminalize it. Many of these copy cats are smiling to the bank whereas the owners/beneficiaries of these intellectual property are wallowing in penury.

If the likes of Rex Lawson, Osadebe, Victor Uwaifo, etc had not produced original songs, probably we wouldn't be listening to anything today.

if u are not aware it is a common practise to re mix songs. Every modern musician have done this in one way or the other. It is not a crime so far you take permission from the owner of the copyright.
Most of Flavours hit songs are remix of old songs and what made them outstanding is that they sounded
Better than the original.
Don't crucify the guy
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by phantasm(m): 5:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hey, talking about an artiste copying from a song is a case on its own. But talking about artistes on styles that might have originated from another region is no talk please.
Every ariste has the right to choose or tailor what genre of music he'll like to major or minor on. Besides, genres or styles of music are not and can never be uniquely registered to any kind of region....

And to all those who kept saying local artistes borrowed from from intl ones as early as the early 2000's- that was a big lie. Tony Tetuila before his collaboration with Tic Tac has released some fast track, danceable songs which wasnt influenced at all by what some people are claiming. It was even during his era that there came to birth Tic Tac n the likes...
The internet is a good library for research and some acclaimed media houses that were and are still around are also places to inquire of facts....

If as some people here claim that the 'intl' guys originated fast tempo hiplife songs like the ones prevalent in our locality today and you were all good at mentioning some of thier legendary artistes of highlife who could have started the trends many years back. Then where would you put the likes of our late and living and legendary fast if not faster tempo highlife artistes like Sir Orlando Julius, Dairo, and some eastern folks with thier distinct and creative styles of highlife music?

Is wrong to steal from another person's work without the owner's consent and I am not disputing that, but the matter of genres or style of music is a different ball game entirely.....Artistes are at liberty to choose what style of music suit them...
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Mortiple(m): 5:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
mikeapollo: It is interesting that this matter has come up this way.

Then VIP came with their hit song which was very popular in Nigeria and was even adopted by Patience Ozokwo in her album. Tony Tetuila was the first among the current Nigerian musicians to adopt a similar style when he went into partnership with Tictac of Ghana. After that, virtually every young/new Nigerian musician have all adopted the Ghanaian hip-life style of a beats. rhythm and rhymes in their music. If you listen to the Ghanaian fast tempo hip-life/highlife songs in the late 90s to early 2000s, and then check the trend in Nigeria in the last 5-7 years, you would see that the current so called Afro hip-hop sounds being played by Nigerian musicians actually are imitations of what they learnt or adopted from Ghana.

[s]But in terms of originality, the current Afro hip-hop beats currently making waves in Nigeria actually came from Ghana.[/s] [s]If you cast your minds back to 10 years ago, there was nothing like that kind of fast paced highlife/ Afro hip-hop style of beat in Nigeria.That was when Nigerian musicians were still struggling to play R&B and American Hip-Hop with people like Eedris, Tuface etc leading the pack. [/s]

Your assertions are totally incorrect. High life, back in the days, was generally classified as West African style of music which possibly originated from Ghana and spread to other Aglo-phone West African countries namely Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Gambia. Overtime, this style of music has evolved.

One thing I know, in the late 80s and 90s, the Nigerian music industry witnessed the likes of Mike Okri, Felix Liberty, Chris Hanem, Christy Igbokwe Felix and Mossyx, etc who were conspicuously playing what one may call modern highlife or afro-hiphop. Hope you did not deliberately leave them out in order to drive home your point? Meanwhile, would you be kind to name those Ghanaian artists who purported introduced modern (high-tempo) highlife for comparison?
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by mikeapollo: 5:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
safarigirl: BULLSH1T! Omawumi's Bottom belle is a copy of a Nigerian song from the late 50's, West African beats sound alike, so you can't attribute any beat to one country. Who no dey copy? Mention any song and I betcha it had an original, even those from VIP . With a good lawyer, that case won't greet a court sitting, in fact, it won't even pass Nairaland sef, na today all these attention seekers start? Wetin do Blackface wey accuse Tu face of stealing African Queen, and that Ekiti chic that accused Wizkid of stealing Pakurumo? Mtcheww, hungry desperados
e

You see the problem? Talking what you dont understand. Do you know where 'Bonsue' music/sound originated from? Do you know where the Highlife we claime to play in Nigeria originated from?

The issue is not about legality or otherwise. It is the truth about the originality or otherwise of their works!

These are the same musicians who cry everyday about piracy, yet they are shameless enough to be stealing other people's songs. And instead of being objective you are here supporting mediocrity!

Go to Sound City/STV Music Africa and ask them to play you Ghanaian hip-life tunes of the ealry 2000s and you would realise what I am talking about. Even the musicians you are trying to defend know the truth....only that in Nigeria we have become increasingly shameless.
#If you listen to the songs under contest,you will realise that Flavour actually copied exactly the rhythms and opening sounds of their songs.

There is no problem if you acknowledge the original owners/writers of a piece of artwork(e.g music, etc), but to pretend to be dismiss the truth is just shameful
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by mikeapollo: 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mortiple:

Your assertions are totally incorrect. High life, back in the days, was generally classified as West African style of music which possibly originated from Ghana and spread to other Aglo-phone West African countries namely Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Gambia. Overtime, this style of music has evolved.

One thing I know, in the late 80s and 90s, the Nigerian music industry witnessed the likes of Mike Okri, Felix Liberty, Chris Hanem, Christy Igbokwe Felix and Mossyx, etc who were conspicuously playing what one may call modern highlife or afro-hiphop. Hope you did not deliberately leave them out in order to drive home your point? Meanwhile, would you be kind to name those Ghanaian artists who purported introduced modern (high-tempo) highlife for comparison?

Look, truth be told, Highlife originated from Ghana. No controversies about that.

Nigerian musicians like Mike Okri, Felix Liberty etc were original in the 80s. But before them, we had the great musicians like Rex Lawson, Bobby Benson, Roy Chicago, Victor Olaiya etc who were the progenitors of highlife music in Nigeria. But you know what? Virtually all of them went to Ghana to learn the music or played with a Ghanaian band or employed Ghanaian instrumentalists in their band. There was a very massive influence on Nigerian music by Ghana in those days. The best highlife band, The Ramblers Band and other Ghanaian Highlife bands were a constant feature at University of Ibadan's Havana Muscic Concerts, as early as the 50s till the ealry 70s. Go check it out
Even the great Fela Anikulapo Kuti had to go to and stay in Ghana for years to learn the rudiments of Highlife Music before he became a hit in Nigeria. Before his sojourn to Ghana, Fela was nothing compared to the senior highlife musicians of his era. He came back with a bang, and his radical and social crusading posture endeared him to the people. You can find out from Femi Kuti if this is true of not.

I may not have a list of the names of Ghanaian musicians that introduced the modern fast tempo highlife. But you can find out at STV Music Africa. In the early 2000, Nigerian musicians were not playing the current type of music. It was Ghanaian musicians who have always stuck to their highlife and keep modernising their brand of music that have been playing that tempo. I visited Ghana several times in the late 90s and early 2000s, and that was the sounds in their clubs.

Ask Tony Tetuila...he would tell you his experiences at Ghanaian parties he attended in Ghana and Europe when he was on tour with Tic-Tac after their collaboration.. That was when the new trend started spreading in Nigeria.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by eleshin(m): 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
what's wrong in adopting one genre of music that originated from another country? I don't see that as piracy or in anyway a copyright theft cos its not a property per se.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by obailala(m): 7:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
eleshin: [size=14pt]what's wrong in adopting one genre of music that originated from another country?[/size] I don't see that as piracy or in anyway a copyright theft cos its not a property per se.
I wonder oo undecided

Many people commenting here clearly don't know the meaning of copyright but as for flavour, I have to be honest, he stole this one grin. Although those guys can't legally pin him down in court cos he changed the beat a little and also the lyrics.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ishilove: 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ghanaian artistes should go and sit down! They can't be compared in music quality with Flavour. Flavour is a pole apart who is paying tribute to his friend and mentor,MC Loff. Ghanaians are not noted for good quality music because their music contents are always drab and dry without any meaningful or discerning message. N'abania is an original work of Flavour
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by djfiifi(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mortiple:

The originators of the high tempo highlife-Rex Omar,Amakye Dede,Nat Brew,Daddy Lumba,Ofori Amponsah,Papa Yankson,Pat Thomas,Akosua Agyapong,Osibisa Band,Ramblers,Napoleon Highkings,Dasebre,Dwamena,Paa Bobo,George Darko,Ben Brako,Ampofo Adjei,Charles Amoah et al.

The truth be told people are really doing copy-cat,Flavour's song has been spotted on. Some of simply giving expects advice cos that is what we studied at school.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ishilove: 9:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mikeappollo and other Ghanaian music apologists should bow their heads in shame. Who says Ghanaian musicians have better international rating than Nigeria? Go and listen to Azonto and Flavour's n'abania and see the difference. Ghanaians have acknowledged the good quality of Nigerian music whch is the rave of the moment
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ironi: 10:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ishilove: Mikeappollo and other ghanaian music apologists shud bow their heads in shame. Who says ghanaian musicians hv beta int'l rating than nigeria? Go and lis ten to Azonto and flavour's n'abania and see the difference. Ghanaians hv acknowledged the good quality of nigerian music whch is the rave of the moment

You sound very ignorant and don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by logica(m): 10:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
We all know High-life originated from Ghana, but it got to the point that they were getting direction from Nigerians. It's like how the English invented football and Brazilians perfected it. Currently, you cannot claim ALL Nigerian artistes are copying from Ghana because they've mixed in a lot of Nigerian culture into the sound. You have Fuji, you have Juju, you have Apala all mixed up into it. Do Ghanaians also do Fuji, Juju and Apala talk less of the styles from the East?

Flavor's own case is special; we all know he's not original. But speaking in general terms about Nigerians copying Ghanaians? Una miss road.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ironi: 11:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
logica: We all know High-life originated from Ghana, but it got to the point that they were getting direction from Nigerians. It's like how the English invented football and Brazilians perfected it. Currently, you cannot claim ALL Nigerian artistes are copying from Ghana because they've mixed in a lot of Nigerian culture into the sound. You have Fuji, you have Juju, you have Apala all mixed up into it. Do Ghanaians also do Fuji, Juju and Apala talk less of the styles from the East?

Flavor's own case is special; we all know he's not original. But speaking in general terms about Nigerians copying Ghanaians? Una miss road.

Hahahaha, I don't understand what you are spinning here. Now you want talk say Nigeria dey give directions for Ghana on Highlife? makes no sense if Ghanaians are the originators of highlife.

Nigeria has Juju music and Ghana has Highlife, there is no shame in playing any of these musics whether you are Nigerian or Ghanain but don't claim anything you didn't do.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by logica(m): 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ironi:
makes no sense if Ghanaians are the originators of highlife.
If you check the quote below, I believe it's in basic English.

It's like how the English invented football and Brazilians perfected it.
Now you tell me; does it make sense that the English look at Brazilian football and try to emulate it; yet they invented football? Use a bit of sense.

Nigeria has Juju music and Ghana has Highlife.
Oh really? No wonder Highlife musicians got a lot of inspiration from Jazz musicians. Anyway, when did the Yoruba ethnic group become Nigeria? Juju is from the Yorubas FYI.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by agabaI23(m): 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
You people should compare

The Ghanaian music industry has for numerous years been trying to find itself and what it stands for. For decades, the Sub-Saharan nation has shuffled through various genres which are seemly defined by unknown strings in the industry, that is if there is a mechanism to regulate the music art that Ghanaians are exposed to.

Ghana has transitioned through High-Life,Hip-Life, Afrobeats, RNB,Rap/Hip Hop, Reggae, DanceHall and honestly, at certin points, unknown music styles have crept into the Ghanaian music scene. Francophone music is not an exception and not a surprise due to the fact that Ghana is flanked on all sides except the south by francophone countries.

However, a challenging and virtually disturbing trend I have noticed in Ghanaian music has to do with the insatiable need to copy any style that seems to make the charts. It has reached a point where I fear for the loss of Ghanaian musical ingenuity and originality. Most appalling is the shameful attempt of certain musicians to go to the extent of copying Nigerian lyrics in their Nigerian-coloured songs making it almost impossible to strike a distinction between certain Ghanaian songs and Nigerian music.
I believe it is imperative that Ghanaians do not lose their cultural,musical content and style because we cannot copy the Nigerians and Americans more than ourselves. We are better as Ghanaians and more unique as such.

The tongue that criticizes should be capable of praise as well, so I would like to appreciate the likes of Obour, Okyeame Kwame, Kankam ((Cue) an upcoming artiste), and many more who still carry high the true flag of Ghanaian music. The likes of Kubolor, Lil Shaker, Sarkodie, Manifest and others, who use Ghanaian pidgin in their contemporary music.
The magnificent Kwabena Kwabena, Efya, Becca and others who make live band music a delight, with traditional African rythmes.

Read more: http://omgghana.com/editorial-the-achilles-heel-of-ghana-music/#ixzz23esVJhrU

This from a Ghanaian. I saw another piece like that in 2010, when I teasedb my Ghanaian friend about it, she could accept it outrightly because of her patriotism but then she could not deny it.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ironi: 2:13am On Aug 16, 2012
logica:
If you check the quote below, I believe it's in basic English.

Now you tell me; does it make sense that the English look at Brazilian football and try to emulate it; yet they invented football? Use a bit of sense.

Oh really? No wonder Highlife musicians got a lot of inspiration from Jazz musicians. Anyway, when did the Yoruba ethnic group become Nigeria? Juju is from the Yorubas FYI.

So you have perfected highlife? crap.

I doubt whether you even know what highlife is.

No surprise here, the usual big mouth and Nigerian yeye.

Even if the Nigerian is being thought he still maintains he is the teacher, little wonder you can't find solutions to your problems.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by logica(m): 3:28am On Aug 16, 2012
Ironi:

So you have perfected highlife? crap.

I doubt whether you even know what highlife is.

No surprise here, the usual big mouth and Nigerian yeye.

Even if the Nigerian is being thought he still maintains he is the teacher, little wonder you can't find solutions to your problems.
"Taught" you mean? You "thought" you have "taught" who what? Can a m0r0n even teach himself? I just told you where the inspiration of High-Life came from: Jazz music; and as far as I'm concerned it's a music form in transition. So you guys never had your own traditional music like Juju and Fuji? What problems do you speak of? I currently have one problem - Ghanaian girls can't have enough of my d!(k in their mouths. So who's got the big mouth - me or them? Speaking of deep-Drinking. Can you help me solve it?
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by Ironi: 4:27am On Aug 16, 2012
logica:
"Taught" you mean? You "thought" you have "taught" who what? Can a m0r0n even teach himself? I just told you where the inspiration of High-Life came from: Jazz music; and as far as I'm concerned it's a music form in transition. So you guys never had your own traditional music like Juju and Fuji? What problems do you speak of? I currently have one problem - Ghanaian girls can't have enough of my d!(k in their mouths. So who's got the big mouth - me or them? Speaking of deep-Drinking. Can you help me solve it?

I have seen too many sttupid idiots like you run their mouths here to be bothered.
Why don't you want your stinking Nigerian girls anymore?I guess it's because they are being fcked by dogs in Italy? Selling their cheap pusssies by the tons, motherfcker..

Btw, I don't have time to waste on you so I'll let your ignorant and dumb comments about highlife slide for now.
Re: Ghanaian Artistes To Sue Flavour N'abania Over Song Theft by logica(m): 4:48am On Aug 16, 2012
Ironi:

I have seen too many sttupid idiots like you run their mouths here to be bothered.
Why don't you want your stinking Nigerian girls anymore?I guess it's because they are being fcked by dogs in Italy? Selling their cheap pusssies by the tons, motherfcker..

Btw, I don't have time to waste on you so I'll let your ignorant and dumb comments about highlife slide for now.
LOL. Idiots are always stup!d. "Stup!d id!ot" = tautology (yeah, look it up quickly). Though you may be the first smart id!ot. Monkey, you've already wasted enough time with me. I wouldn't mind you wasted a bit more. LOL @ stinking Nigerian girls. How many have you sniffed? I guess they only allow you sniff the pv$$y but you don't get to hit eh? LMAO. You are right though - I'm a "motherfcker". Ask your mother.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Majek Fashek Confirms Addiction To Drugs, Alchohol; Advises Youth / Joseph Yobo And Wife, Adaeze Celebrate Their Son As He Turns Two Years Old / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Allegations He Charges 100K To Play Artiste's Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.