Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK (15359 Views)

Nigerian 'Cele' Pastor In Us Arrested For Beating, Robbing & Raping Ladies(pics) / Man Bags 4 Months Jail Term For Beating Commercial Sex Worker In Abuja / Businessman & Wife Shot And Butchered In Front Of Their Kids In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by youngies(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2012
Nigerian couple who beat their six children jailed after Coronation Street barmaid Michelle Collins gave evidence against them
Two cruel parents convicted of a decade long campaign of abuse against their six children were jailed for seven years each today.

The Nigerian couple, who claimed their kids were possessed by evil spirits, were found guilty after Coronation Street star Michelle Collins gave evidence against them.

They beat their children with brooms, hoovers and wires and even gave their baby a morphine overdose just days after her first birthday.

Five of the children were finally rescued after their eldest daughter threw a heart-wrenching SOS note out of a window.

But it wasn't until their one-year-old baby was given a morphine overdose over a year later that police reopened the case which led to their prosecution

The plight of the children was so bad that Miss Collins, who met them at a church lunch, took them to the cinema 'because she felt sorry for them'.

She gave evidence as a prosecution witness during the trial of the parents, both 40, who cannot be named to protect their six children.

But the parents claimed they were victims of a conspiracy - and even alleged Miss Collins was involved in a witch hunt against them and wanted to ‘steal’ their children

One of the youngsters, a baby at the time, had been allowed to stay in the home despite the fact the five other children had to be rescued.

Sentencing them to seven years behind bars each, Judge James Patrick described it as 'shocking mistreatment' that they had tried to cover up with a 'web of deception'.

Judge Patrick said: 'No-one who sat through this trial could help but be moved by the fact that these intelligent, charming, fun, lovable children continue to love you despite what you put them through
.'

The married couple denied the allegations claiming they were victims of a racist witch-hunt but were found guilty of cruelty to a person under 16.

They argued the children had been 'brainwashed' into making the allegations by the police, the council and Miss Collins who they said 'wanted to steal' them, Wood Green Crown Court heard.

But Judge Patrick noted: 'You alleged a conspiracy involving a well-known actress, who had done nothing but show your family generosity and kindness, a member of a housing charity, social workers and foster carers.

'Those who had taken the trouble to support you were repeatedly accused of dishonesty, lying, and conspiracy to rob you of your children when the reality was that both of you were lying - in fact they ware simply seeking to give your children stability.'

The abuse came to the attention of police in April 2010 when their nine-year-old wrote an SOS note and threw it out of her bedroom window.

The heart-breaking plea read: 'My mum is the worst mum ever because she can’t cope with five of us, her broken hand and being pregnant. She always leaves me out so I always starve and I am forced to work.

'If I don’t get enough house work done, I am beaten without mercy with the wooden end of a broom. I have scars all over me to prove it. I can’t stay here. I would like a new mum.
'

It was found by a neighbour who called the police, and when officers attended the address they found the children living in messy conditions with 'dirty' and 'dishevelled' clothing.

Revealing scars the eldest said her mother had hit her with a cable, a broom, and a hoover and her father had dangled her by her feet down the stairwell of the house, tied her hands behind her back and her legs together 'to get the devilish spirits out', prosecutor Emma Smith said.

Her sister, who was seven at the time, had a stick shaped bruise of her thigh and after a few months in care, she drew a series of pictures showing her dad beating her and her being left home alone and including a speech bubble saying ‘I’m hungry.’

The children were left home alone for hours, sometimes days on end, with the elder kids forced to look after the others.

They had even been forced to lie to a charity and social services that they were living alone with their mother in one room and had no idea who their dad was so they could scam benefits.

Even during the trial the eldest feared she had torn her family apart with her 'devastating cry from the heart in the form of a letter which she threw from the window', the judge noted.

There was an investigation but no further action, and the five children remained in care until the parents once again came to police attention on 28 June last year, when they gave their baby an overdose.

'But for the events of June 28 you would have gotten away with your crimes because of a merciful decision not to prosecute you', Judge Patrick noted

The couple's sixth child, a baby girl, was also initially taken into care but then returned to her parents. They took her to St Thomas’s Hospital just days after her first birthday last year.

Without treatment she could have died but doctors managed to save the youngster, who it is believed was given morphine orally that morning

Jurors rejected the parents conspiracy theories.

When they are released the face deportation back to Nigeria - despite pleas from their legal team that they have been 'punished enough' by having their children taken into care.

As they left the court they wailed: 'We are innocent, this is a miscarriage of justice.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188239/Nigerian-couple-beat-children-jailed-Coronation-Street-barmaid-Michelle-Collins-gave-evidence-them.html
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by KiKatanga: 8:29am On Aug 15, 2012
Utterly indefensible.

This is the horrible face of Nigeria that gets transmitted around the world. Moreover, the above article omits most of the facts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9475266/Witchcraft-child-abuse-parents-who-abused-children-because-of-evil-spirits-jailed.html

The Telegraph:
It was found by a neighbour who called the police, and when officers attended the address they found the children living in messy conditions with "dirty" and "dishevelled" clothing.

Revealing scars the eldest said her mother had hit her with a cable, a broom, and a hoover and her father had dangled her by her feet down the stairwell of the house, tied her hands behind her back and her legs together "to get the devilish spirits out", prosecutor Emma Smith said.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 15, 2012
Tragic. There are no winners here.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by 4Play(m): 11:38am On Aug 15, 2012
We Nigerians are not a civilised people. What this couple did would barely raise an eyebrow if they were living in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by redsun(m): 12:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
eGuerrilla: Tragic. There are no winners here.

The children won. If they are smart enough they can go through the COLD CARE SYSTEM unscathed. Far better than being brutalized and made sheepish for life by their child-like and wayward parents.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Gbawe: 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
redsun:

[b]The children won.[/b]If they are smart enough they can go through the COLD CARE SYSTEM unscathed. Far better than being brutalized and made sheepish for life by their child-like and wayward parents.

Yes, I agree with you. These children, in relation to what obtains where they will grow up in and call home, have a chance to go on and have the normal life that child abuse tends to destroy.

Obsessing about kids growing up "the Nigerian way" has made some adults blind to what is terribly obvious. Even if you were beaten black and blue, you must respect the laws of the land you chose, of your own free will, to live in!!!! If you want to batter your kids , without any consequences whatsoever, then stay away from the UK and other nations where doing such is deemed child abuse attracting imprisonment. Simple.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by redsun(m): 1:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Too jesus dey worry africans. Take them to mars,they will still be worried of demons. Even when they are demons incarnates themselves.

Digital children of the west are more like digital gadgets themselves. They tend to see everything virtually,it is the world they live in and the world that makes sense to them. Trying to force them into reality crudely without high intelligence,caution,patience and utmost care could spell disaster for retarded parents.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
youngies: For beating their six children with brooms, hoovers and wires and even giving their baby a morphine overdose after childbirth, the Nigerian couple have been jailed for seven years each in London, with the UK press calling them all sorts of names. angry

But the Nigerian married couple denied the allegations, claiming the children were victims of a racist witch-hunt. They were, however, found guilty of cruelty to a person under 16.

The parents convicted of a decade long campaign of abuse against their six children were jailed for seven years each yesterday.

The Nigerian couple, which the paper said claimed their kids were possessed by evil spirits, were found guilty after Coronation Street star Michelle Collins gave evidence against them.

The parents argued that the children had been ‘brainwashed’ into making the allegations by the police, the London Borough of Haringey and Miss Collins who they said ‘wanted to steal’ them, UK’s Green Crown Court heard.

What the heck?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
redsun:

The children won. If they are smart enough they can go through the COLD CARE SYSTEM unscathed. Far better than being brutalized and made sheepish for life by their child-like and wayward parents.

I think you would find that few actually go through the care system and come out unscathed.
Still, I understand the largest import of your post.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by tunnytox(m): 1:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
A lot of Nigerians are having their kids taken into care these days, I've seen some parents who have all their 4 children taken into care.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What the heck?

A few years down the road and those same children would have been subjected to the type of exorcism captured in this video angry:
Britains Witch Children 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o668gwXcqX8
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Jemibee: 2:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
That's inhuman if u ask me. I'm also a mother and I'd never beat my kids with all that's been mentioned especially at such tender ages. Patapata relocate to 9ja sberle anythg goes
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
Justice!!!
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by pembisco(m): 2:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Jst because its naija couple involvd,d whole world had 2 hear dis! Oyibo nd ther racism,i blame d couple sha!
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by ismhab(m): 2:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
nice move.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by redsun(m): 2:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
People should have children unless they handle. They probably have those kids in droves just to rip off british welfare system like all the losers do. Not because they love children or that they know what it takes to have children.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
redsun: People should have children unless they handle. They probably have those kids in droves just to rip off british welfare system like all the losers do. Not because they love children or that they know what it takes to have children.

The eldest testified against them that she was made to lie to the authorities that their dad was awol
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by redsun(m): 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
People shouldnt have children unless they handle it.They probably have those kids in droves primarily just to rip off british welfare system like all the losers do. Not because they love children or that they know what it takes to have children.

Ripping off welfare is a lucrative business for high breeders like the somalians and all the british chavs and losers.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by murtalaa(m): 2:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
This is cruelty and child molestation even by nigerian standard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by princemmab(m): 2:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
I think its d parent dat r possesed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Player01(m): 2:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
7 years! That's a lot shocked.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by duni04(m): 2:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
youngies:
I think its more of a clash of cultures or a generational clash than anything else. I can understand why the parents would scream conspiracy when people back home in Nigeria would praise them for applying 'discipline' in raising their children. Maybe if the kids were raised back home in Nigeria, they'd have accepted their parents version of discipline as the norm but if you raise your kids in a foreign country and them expect them to understand why you're subjecting them to treatment that such country considers cruel, then they'll rebel against you.
Black immigrant parents, especially in the UK, are faced with this dilemma because they have come to realize that they have raised a generation of violent and indisciplined lads, and yet society will not allow them exercise the kind of discipline they are familiar with which in most cases involves violence.
Seven years again is just very disproportionate and harsh. Some of our parents did worse to us as children, not because it was right but because that was the only form of discipline they were familiar with. Maybe they know better now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188239/Nigerian-couple-beat-children-jailed-Coronation-Street-barmaid-Michelle-Collins-gave-evidence-them.html
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by airfinance(m): 2:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Tiwon bawon ni yen oo
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by duni04(m): 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
youngies:
I think its more of a clash of cultures or a generational clash than anything else. I can understand why the parents would scream conspiracy when people back home in Nigeria would praise them for applying 'discipline' in raising their children. Maybe if the kids were raised back home in Nigeria, they'd have accepted their parents version of discipline as the norm but if you raise your kids in a foreign country and them expect them to understand why you're subjecting them to treatment that such country considers cruel, then they'll rebel against you.
Black immigrant parents, especially in the UK, are faced with this dilemma because they have come to realize that they have raised a generation of violent and indisciplined lads, and yet society will not allow them exercise the kind of discipline they are familiar with which in most cases involves violence.
Seven years again is just very disproportionate and harsh. Some of our parents did worse to us as children, not because it was right but because that was the only form of discipline they were familiar with. Maybe they know better now.

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by coogar: 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
it serves them right....
i have no pity for parents who are barbaric to their own children.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by pelezico: 2:35pm On Aug 15, 2012
4 Play: We Nigerians are not a civilised people. What this couple did would barely raise an eyebrow if they were living in Nigeria.

Talk for yourself mate not Nigeria

Such evil would appear to be common in the UK (if you believe the news papers - i dont however....). what about the parents who killed their five children in a supposed arson attack - were they not white British or the Gran ma and boy friend who killed there gran child

People are becoming more depraved today

I thank God though that they were killed
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by megxo(m): 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
4 Play: We Nigerians are not a civilised people. What this couple did would barely raise an eyebrow if they were living in Nigeria.
yea yea..........bt if u find ursef in rome, do lyk d romans do............. wink
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by freecocoa(f): 2:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ah broom ke?that's just too much na.

Imagine a witch and wizard accusing kids of witchcraft,this is crazy,how can a mother beat her own kids like that? O ma se o.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by lawbabs: 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
This is the reason I keep advising pple around me not to travel illegally to the UK because doing so will make you live a frustrated life. You cannot even get meaninful employment. Now these folks have turned into monsters against their children, nuincance to the UK, and a disgrace to Nigeria...
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by sylve11: 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
In Nigeria that is nothing, we'v seen cases where children are beaten with pistols. Justice i think. angry cool
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Okijajuju1(m): 3:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
When will Yoruba people stop embarassing us in the U.K... Thats how the other day, I saw a woman wearing Aladura outfit without slippers on the train... angry
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by damas11111(m): 3:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
eGuerrilla:

A few years down the road and those same children would have been subjected to the type of exorcism captured in this video angry:
Britains Witch Children 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o668gwXcqX8

lol@ the video! PDP (People Deceiving People) are everywhere surely. 90% of Christians are gullible. grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Kills His Friend In Zamfara During Heated Fight (Photos) / Thai Police Focus On All 1,400 Nigerians For Fraud Investigation, 5 Arrested / Father ‘sells’ Son For N250,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.