Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,508 members, 7,801,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos (11207 Views)

Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by frevangel(m): 8:03am On Aug 15, 2012
In the wake of the new traffic laws in Lagos it has become imperative that we know various roads/streets that allow for one way traffic and the directions. I noticed many 'one way' roads/streets have no signs to help those not familiar with the area. LASTMA/Police officials have not helped in that they wait for you to go against traffic and then arrest you. Many have fallen victim already. A colleague narrated his near-ordeal how he almost fell victim before some 'okada' riders informed him, while the traffic officials were charging toward him. He escaped though but in a Formular 1 style.

This thread was created so we could post roads/streets that are 'One Way' and the direction of traffic.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by kennytidistar(m): 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
na who i go ask nau? no sign post, no road map, traffick light is ill working. the state of roads are nothing to write home about(alimosho, mushin, ajegunle, etc.)

i beg leave the law for the maker to eat alone until neccessary factors has been consider.

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
I'll be Back!!
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by RichDad1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2012
So many to mention but when you are driving around SOMOLU,LAGOS ISLAND,APAPA and YABA Always be at alert cool cool cool cool cool cool cool i'll come back 4 more

2 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by gulfer: 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
Road beside NNPC off kinsgway road, Ikoyi. You can't drive in but out from the Ikoyi club road using this road. There's a sign but its hidden. WATCH OUT!

2 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by ismhab(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
all the roads in lagos are one way.

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Kayraph(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
Rich Dad: So many to mention but when you are driving around SOMOLU,LAGOS ISLAND,APAPA and YABA Always be at alert cool cool cool cool cool cool cool i'll come back 4 more

Please if you don't have much of 'Lagos Sense' when you are driving around, remember to avoid these areas mentioned by Rich Dad. They have the highest numbers of 'one-way' roads in Lagos.....
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by eboeboy: 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
Watch out for Yaba left, many nairalanders have been caught in the past!
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by tonyx4x44(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Eyaah
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by gigabytes: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Please how can I get the soft copy of the law. I need it please.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
that one just before ikeja shopping mall. has a 'Do not enter' sign, you'll probably see it only after you have entered.

2 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Nightshift(m): 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
Such roads are normally clearly described with appropriate signs which must be eligible to motorists. But, don't be surprised or shocked when "egunje" seeking Lagos traffic law enforcers ambush motorists and demand settlement over a violation of a non-existing traffic sign . I've witnessed an incident like that .... Lagos motorists beware .
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
the road beside shoprite,ikeja is one way....and after general hospital,somolu is also one way....coming back for more

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by DidiLove1: 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
Churchgate Str, VI
Adeola Hopewell Str, VI
Idowu Taylor Str, VI
Adeyemo Alakija Str, VI
Sanusi Fafunwa Str, VI
Oyin Jolayemi Str, VI
Oko Awo Close, VI
The entire stretch of Outer Marina, Lagos Island
The entire stretch of Broad Street, Lagos Island

I will provide more as i remember.

4 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by kunlekunle: 5:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
do you want to sit for WAEC on one way roads in lagos?
if the road is not signed who will arrest you?
if arrested he LASTMA would tell you your offence.
if there is no sign you have not committed a crime
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Reference(m): 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
BoboYekini: that one just before ikeja shopping mall. has a 'Do not enter' sign, you'll probably see it only after you have entered.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by SamMilla1(m): 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
very useful. I will bookmark and follow this thread. I remember those lastma crooks stealing my 20K last year simply because i was looking for a passenger to accompany me down to the east. They showed up, dragged my ride to their office and made me wait until the following day before travelling. Thieves in uniform.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by frevangel(m): 6:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
Didi Love: Churchgate Str, VI
Adeola Hopewell Str, VI
Idowu Taylor Str, VI
Adeyemo Alakija Str, VI
Sanusi Fafunwa Str, VI
Oyin Jolayemi Str, VI
Oko Awo Close, VI
The entire stretch of Outer Marina, Lagos Island
The entire stretch of Broad Street, Lagos Island

I will provide more as i remember.

good, expecting more. Thank you.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by frevangel(m): 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
kunlekunle: do you want to sit for WAEC on one way roads in lagos?

pray you dont drive into one of such roads unaware, you would understand why this is necessary.

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by DidiLove1: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
kunlekunle: do you want to sit for WAEC on one way roads in lagos?

Please no one placed a gun to your head and said you must post on this thread. Someone has started a nice thread here to create some awareness for us that drive everyday in Lagos and the best you can do is to spew this bullpoo. Kindly go and take your 6pm drugs.

2 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by anishe(m): 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
gigabytes: Please how can I get the soft copy of the law. I need it please.

whats your email address. let me send the soft copy to you
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by abiamahart: 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
check Sunday Punch publication of 13th August.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by EreluY(f): 7:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
[b]What the government simply needs to do is put up road signs everywhere and expect road users to follow them. Why can't we, for once, do things properly? From London to Paris, From Holland to Germany to Poland to Italy, all you simply do is follow road signs and you will not only get to your destination, but also keep to road safety (speed limit, one way traffic, etc) rules. We want to emulate what goes on in the developed world but do so haphazardly!

The last time I was in Nigeria, that was some 3 years ago, LATSMA officials impounded my car saying I parked where I shouldn't have. Fellow, Nairalanders, there was neither single/double yellow lines where I PARKED ooooo, neither was there any other traffic signs. So, how else am I (or anyone for that matter) supposed to know it's a no parking area. I insisted on not 'settling' them. Apparently, I had time on my hand. My car was towed to LGA office. I sought to speak with their overall boss and talked sense into his head. I also educated him about how things are done in the developed world. The result? I was told 'madam this is Naija. Anyway, bless the boys and they'll let you go.' I 'shakara dem', maintaining they should release my car immediately or else we'll meet in the law court. Needless to say their boss asked them to let me go in peace.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
Can't remember the name of the street.
It's beside the new Ikeja shopping mall off Governors road.

There's a stationed police tank waiting to nab defaulters. This road can only be accessed via governors road. If you are exiting the mail you MUST turn right to the main road.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by bigmo1(m): 11:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
I was almost caught too when i drove into the the street beside NNPC towers, Ikoyi. There was no sign that it was a one way. I was quickly alerted by the Okada guys packed by the side entrance of the street. Immediately the LASTMA guys sighted me, they rushed towards me trying to apprehend me. Those bastards must have been hiding cos i didn't see them when i first turned into the street.
I did å quick reverse before they could get to me. I was left wondering why they didn't stay at that end of the the road to inform road users. They would rather wait for you to break the law and later arrest you.

3 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by bigmo1(m): 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
There are so many one way roads in Somolu, Yaba, Akoka, Ebute Metta. You have to be extremely careful when driving around these areas because there is virtually no sign to tell you they are one way roads. The most amusing of these one way roads is the one along university of Lagos road. When you drive into university road from Herbert Macauly road approaching UNILAG, immediately you get to the street beside Atan cemetery, you must into this street by your right, take the next turning by the left, get to the end of the short street, turn left and get to the end then turn right to link back to university road on approaching UNILAG. A lot of drivers have been nabbed around this area by the police and also by council officials.

2 Likes

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by gulfer: 6:01am On Aug 16, 2012
big mo: I was almost caught too when i drove into the the street beside NNPC towers, Ikoyi. There was no sign that it was a one way. I was quickly alerted by the Okada guys packed by the side entrance of the street. Immediately the LASTMA guys sighted me, they rushed towards me trying to apprehend me. Those bastards must have been hiding cos i didn't see them when i first turned into the street.
I did å quick reverse before they could get to me. I was left wondering why they didn't stay at that end of the the road to inform road users. They would rather wait for you to break the law and later arrest you.
There's actually a sign on that junction but way far inside for an approaching vehicle to see and appears to have been deliberately turned askew making it all the more difficult to sight. The LASTMA goons always hide especially on weekends and prey on people's innocence. They tried this same scenario with me but I used superior intelligence to outwit them. One old woman later came to tell me inside the NNPC that I was smarter than them and that was why I could leave without parting with a dime.
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by amokemi(m): 6:20am On Aug 16, 2012
dt university road get as e be. i've had to part wt 2k b4 to settle those legal armed robbers in black . my advice to lagosians is dt if u don't know an area very well, don't drive there d 1st time u go to such area. dt is my own strategy cos u can't be too careful. i always wonder if those LASTMA guys are 4rm another planet, area they nt ordinary citizens, don't they also feel d brutality of our leaders? y can't they reduce d suffering of dr fellow citizens by providing guidance rather than lay in wait for u 2 break d law.

1 Like

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by lawmani: 7:32am On Aug 16, 2012
BoboYekini: that one just before ikeja shopping mall. has a 'Do not enter' sign, you'll probably see it only after you have entered.

Guy let's try and be truthful at times. The shoprite road has two visible sign post clearly positioned at the end of the road that hits awolowo way. One is written "Do not Enter" while the other has a symbol of a crossed road entrance on it indicating no entry!

Lets give fashola the credit he deserves there, but a lot other one way roads need to have sign posts on them
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by chidexy(m): 9:36am On Aug 16, 2012
lawmani:

Guy let's try and be truthful at times. The shoprite road has two visible sign post clearly positioned at the end of the road that hits awolowo way. One is written "Do not Enter" while the other has a symbol of a crossed road entrance on it indicating no entry!

Lets give fashola the credit he deserves there, but a lot other one way roads need to have sign posts on them

Is it possible to take and post pictures of the road signs so that other motorists can see? I guess pictures of the location of the signs should help
Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by frevangel(m): 9:39am On Aug 16, 2012
abiamahart: check Sunday Punch publication of 13th August.

Thanks. This is the article.

Roads that lead to jail in Lagos
August 3, 2012 by John Awe
A recent report in The Guardian says the controversial new traffic bill prescribing three years jail term for one-way traffic violators in Lagos State will be signed into law today by Governor Babatunde Fashola. Trying to be my brother’s keeper, I would like to share with you some roads in Lagos that can take you directly to jail as from Friday.

Since a new Shopping Mall accommodating Shoprite was launched in Alausa, Ikeja, the road that passes directly behind it is now a one-way street. Policemen have been feeding fat on people who had used that road for ages and are unaware of this new development. When the bill becomes law, heading in the wrong direction on the road will send you to jail for three years.

To new motorists or those visiting Lagos, Somolu is filled with booby-traps that can send you to jail. One-way streets there are numerous. But the ones that quickly come to mind include Oyebajo Street. If you’re coming from Morocco Road, going to Ikorodu Road, Oyebajo Street is to the right. With no visible signs, this street is a one-way ticket to jail.

Again, when coming from Ikorodu Road, heading to Igbobi College, there is another one-way traffic street by Fadeyi Bus Stop via Kalejaiye Street. It is the right turning before the National Orthopaedic Hospital. Officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority will usually not stay at the entry point to warn you, but in the middle to apprehend you. You will regain your freedom in three years!

Then, the popular bridge linking Dopemu to Egbeda is one-way traffic at a designated time of each day. From 5am to 11.59am, you can cross from Dopemu side to the Egbeda side and vice versa without any trouble. But by noon, if you cross from Egbeda side to Dopemu, LASTMA and the police will be waiting for you with a Black Maria. Kiss your freedom goodbye.

On the Yaba/Akoka section, there are a few booby-traps, apart from the clear one-way traffic roads with concrete medians. The one that leaps to mind now is the major road from University Junction that leads directly to the UNILAG Gate. This road is 95 per cent two-way traffic. But there is a 5 per cent one-way traffic, where you have to detour inside the community and burst out a little further down the road. There is an old, faded ‘No Entry’ sign, to warn motorists, but many first timers miss it. They are joking with three years jail term.

The service lane at Oshodi coming from Mile Two is presumably two-way traffic up to a little after NAFDAC. The road forks into two, the right links CAPPA/Mushin, while the left links Oshodi Oke. Motorists who want to drop passengers at Oshodi, but are too law-abiding to do it on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, usually enter the service lane, drop their passengers, drive past NAFDAC and at the fork, bear left to link Oshodi Oke, onward to Oworonsoki or Maryland, as the case maybe. But any day some LASTMA officials are broke, they usually stay on top of Oshodi Oke bridge and monitor those climbing the bridge at the fork. They then pounce on them, accusing them of one-way traffic violation. If you are unlucky to pass that route on one of such days, you will be writing a prison memoir soon, or you offer to pay for the school fees of the children of the ‘hardworking’ LASTMA officials who apprehend you. Which would it be?

Then, from the past few months, motorists coming from Toll Gate by 7Up, and attempting to link Oregun can no longer drive straight into Ikosi Road by Union Bank. Entry has been barred even though there is no single sign to that effect yet. In lieu of that, there are traffic cones placed there to guide motorists. In all fairness, there are sometimes some honest LASTMA guys at the intersection to guide confused motorists how they can access Ikosi via Unilever. But often times, on duty are the crooked ones who see an opportunity to make money. When a Lagos State Waste Management Authority truck or other government vehicles exempted from traffic laws blow these cones away, motorists coming afterwards inadvertently drive into Ikosi at the intersection and are slammed by LASTMA and gun-toting policemen. You are in serious trouble.

There are many more, I’m sure. If there are some roads you know that are not included, be your brothers’ keeper and share. Wish you a jail-free motoring.

Culled from John Awe Online
http://www.punchng.com/opinion/roads-that-lead-to-jail-in-lagos/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos by hakunamatata1: 9:48am On Aug 16, 2012
pls 1-way signs arent the only signs essential.
am i the only one faced with a dilemma when driving on 2-lane roads approaching a T-junction?
for exampl: from MUSHIN to OSHODI, on getting to ILUPEJU byepass junction, U can either branch into ilupeju on ur right, or do a U-turn back to mushin on ur left. for a user going straight ahead to OSHODI, on which of the lanes do I stay? how do I know that theres a branch ahead if i dont live in the area?
we need other signs like: 'OSHODI - keep left, ILUPEJU - keep Right'.
Lagos roads shld b useable for every Nigerian not just experienced Lagosians!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of Rx 300 / Incoming North American Vehicles / Lexus RX300 Gear Box Problem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.