Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (17242 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / Nairaland Did Not Send You That E-Mail! / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
andyanders:

What you stated above is the truth on how nairaland member's emails got compromised. Seun, the moderator can NEVER be held liable as people can use any kind "extractor"of tools to extract members emails. What Seun did by alerting members is/was the best thing to have done to members on nairaland.
So Seun, keep up your good work with your team. Long live Seun and long live Naraland members. Woe unto those people that hack these emails from nairaland.

You are seeking kpech Abi? cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Moukafoam(f): 6:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN LISTEN CAREFULLY ,WE LOVE U BECAUSE U ARE INTELLIGENT AND SO FAR NICE ALTHOUGH U TOO ARE LOOKING FOR MONEY,BUT AS MUCH AS WE LIKE U WE CANNOT STAND AND FOLD OUR ARMS WHILE OUR LIVES,DIGNITY AND RESPECT IS BEEN TRAMPLED UPON BY SOME CHEAP DUMB EMPTY SKULL CALLED MODS,THESE MODS WILL PUT YOU IN TROUBLE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL ,EVERYONE HAS BEEN TELLING YOU THIS BUT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO IGNORE THOSE ADVICES.I WILL EVEN SUGGEST YOU RUN A AECURITY CHECK ON THEM.AND AS PER ARROGANCE THEY HAVE NO RIVAL.NL SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOASTING OF 6MILLION MEMBER BY NOW BUT UR MODS ARE KILLING PPL MORALE.ONE PERSON THAT IS NOT HAPPY IS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE 10 PPL NOT TO REGISTER.LIKE I ALWAYS TELL MY FRIEND READ BUT DONT REGISTER N NL.GET RID OF THESE TOUT U CALL MODS

If your view is different from theirs they will either hide your post or ban you angry
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Chaydee(m): 6:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
rastamouse:

I was moved to create that thread because I saw the advert on NL sometime back. The guy, I guess the username was Akwasi, actually gave the info free. I registered and is now making great amount. Can I then say this is a plus for Seun and his website?

A plus? He'll be the one keeping the cash
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chucky234(m): 6:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
I never bother about spam mails because my gmail spam bot does a great job,those mails can never find their way into my inbox.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
pdudy:

Seun, hope you are listening? I have no beef with you but your mods will run down nairaland if you are not careful.

Your mods need a bit of training and finesse. I believe they can get some training from Debosky in those areas.
NOT THAT THEY WILL ,THEY ARE AALREADY RUNNING IT DOWN ,WITH A NATION OF 160MILLION ND YET FOR 6YRS JUST 900000 WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC IDEA AS NL.SEUN IS NOT ONLY SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY HE IS WORKING AND DANCING WITH THE ENEMY.
IMAGINE THAT 2DOLLAR SHIT called r231
BLOCKING ME ,OK OOO.I AM GONNA MAINTAIN MY COOOOOOOOOOL FOR NOW .R231 WHAT AN ID ?IT EVEN SOUNDS CRIMINAL
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Chaydee(m): 6:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN LISTEN CAREFULLY ,WE LOVE U BECAUSE U ARE INTELLIGENT AND SO FAR NICE ALTHOUGH U TOO ARE LOOKING FOR MONEY,BUT AS MUCH AS WE LIKE U WE CANNOT STAND AND FOLD OUR ARMS WHILE OUR LIVES,DIGNITY AND RESPECT IS BEEN TRAMPLED UPON BY SOME CHEAP DUMB EMPTY SKULL CALLED MODS,THESE MODS WILL PUT YOU IN TROUBLE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL ,EVERYONE HAS BEEN TELLING YOU THIS BUT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO IGNORE THOSE ADVICES.I WILL EVEN SUGGEST YOU RUN A AECURITY CHECK ON THEM.AND AS PER ARROGANCE THEY HAVE NO RIVAL.NL SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOASTING OF 6MILLION MEMBER BY NOW BUT UR MODS ARE KILLING PPL MORALE.ONE PERSON THAT IS NOT HAPPY IS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE 10 PPL NOT TO REGISTER.LIKE I ALWAYS TELL MY FRIEND READ BUT DONT REGISTER N NL.GET RID OF THESE TOUT U CALL MODS

#Occupy_NL_Mods campaign looming
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Freiburger(m): 6:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
You 're out here making unecessary noices, if i as a mod should reveal what i lost as a result of this whole thing no one here will believe me, well i 'll rest my case.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Moukafoam(f): 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sun of god:

Nice 'theory' . . .

Here's some of mine:

1) The email addresses were supplied by either Seun or a Mod for a fee?

2) A 'mod' has figured out seuns login (probably something like seun123 or[b] seun419[/b] ) and had captured the info?

3) GEJ ordered a 'cyber' campaign to start discrediting nairaland?

4) Seun whilst 'sleepwalking' sent the message but upon awakening has forgoten what he did whilst asleep?

5) Israel/Mossad sent an 'internet worm' to nairaland in error?

I dey FƎƎL you jare cheesy
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Moukafoam(f): 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
Freiburger: You 're out here making unecessary noices, if i as a mod should reveal what i lost as a result of this whole thing no one here will believe me, well i 'll rest my case.

Boyfriend you are one of them?!
No wonder you always hide my post angry
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
Where is Debosky Abeg? I miss those days when he was a moderator. He had finesse and a professional spirit. Not these SSCE failures Seun pays peanuts to run his site for him. Imagine the SSCE dropouts that want to rub shoulders with most users.

Rubbish.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Freiburger: You 're out here making unecessary noices, if i as a mod should reveal what i lost as a result of this whole thing no one here will believe me, well i 'll rest my case.
tell us dont hide nything tell us make we hear,cheap defence
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2012

I will believe you tell us.

*singing* e be like say dem want to tell us another tori again o. *singing*

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva: I thought as much too. There's no way they would have gotten email addresses except they hacked into Nairaland database.

still they can but not directly all you need is a program that genarate a random email addresses and sent emails to those emails generated. they wait for you to respond either by just opening it or by replying. opening or replying tells them that the email address is active, then the rest is history
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by rastamouse: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2012

How was this necessary? You call legitimate concerns from aggrieved people 'noices?' By the way what is noices? Did you mean 'noise'
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
Seun: Valued Nairalanders,

Regarding the e-mail message that Nairaland did not send, people have been asking how the spammers got their email addresses.

Some people believe that the moderators supplied it, even though I've repeatedly re-assured them that we do not have any facility that exposes member emails to moderators. The only two ways a Nairalander can get your email are: (1) If you send them an email message through the forum. (2) If they send you an email message and you reply them.

Yet dozens or possibly hundreds of Nairalanders have been spammed. How did the spammers get all those e-mail addresses?

Well I've been getting bounce messages all day from people who got the spam message, so I tried searching the forum for their email addresses. I discovered that they all posted their email addresses publicly on the forum. Every single email I checked could be found on a public thread.

So all the spammers had to do was run a type of bot known as an email extractor on the forum. With the email extractor they downloaded hundreds of public pages on Nairaland, and extracted all the e-mail addresses posted publicly on those pages. Then they spammed the addresses they collected.

I don't think there's much we could have done to prevent this. If you post your email address on any public page/blog/forum on the Internet, you will be spammed.

So what can you do to protect yourself? The options are: (1) To never post your email address publicly, which is difficult if you're a public person or business person looking for customers. (2) To use an e-mail provider with very good spam management facilities - for example gmail - for email addresses you intend to post publicly on the Internet. In any case, you should cheerfully click the "mark as spam" button whenever you find a spam mail in your inbox. That's what it's meant for!

I hope you are satisfied by this explanation. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have related to this topic.

Have a great day!

Just tell us your site was hacked. No biggie. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. Too much tori.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR SEUN,
WHAT ARE THE JOB OF UR MODS?BECAUSE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE ALL THEY DO IS HIDE AND BAN,AND BRING STUPID DUMB SHITTY STINKIN TRASHY FOOLISH TOPICS TO THE FROM PAGE ,LIKE "PICS OF DBANJ SMILLING,"WIZKID AT THE BARBER SHOP",DO U SMILE AT WORK,"WIZKID RUNNING","DBANJ POSING WITH AN HIPOPOTEMUS" AND WHEN COMPLAIN THAT THE FRONT PAGE IS FOR SERIOUS ISSUE THEY TELL YOU TO EITHER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.SEUN SEUN SEUN HOW MANY TIMES I CALL YOU ?WATCHOUT FOR THESE SSCE DROPOUT MODS

3 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Omo this is serious o,i'm sure most of those E-mails would have been collated from the auto section.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2012

You talk unbelievable amount of rubbish, you visa-agent drops your email address for your 'clients' here, i have pointed this out to you before, you don't have any right to start moaning about your privacy.

By the way...i thought you wanted to leave nairaland couple of weeks ago and claimed have deleted all your posts?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chucky234(m): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hmmm NL revolution in play mode
*singing* all mods should come out here to defend themselves
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 6:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
Guys pls don't derail this thread again

Thank you
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ITbomb(m): 6:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
Get a second mail and give it to spammers on any forum.
I get like 100 mails everyday on ultafuto@::yahoo.com.
Copy that?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chucky234(m): 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
I posted a thread few days back ex-commissioner who killed his wife because of rice and stew,Pyguru banned me for 2hrs and deleted the post without giving me any reason for deleting the thread.
This is the only forum with such arrogant uneducated mods,very disappointing habits.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
chucky234: I posted a thread few days back ex-commissioner who killed his wife because of rice and stew,Pyguru banned me for 2hrs and deleted the post without giving me any reason for deleting the thread.
This is the only forum with such arrogant uneducated mods,very disappointing habits.

Boss pyguru is spambot
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Goshen360(m): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
@ Seun and the OP,

Thanks for such information. You see, the real issue here is that "some" people are also looking for quick money or shortcuts to wealth. I often get spam emails all the time due to the fact that I often give out my email out here on nairaland only. I get emails asking me into one business or the other after they found my email on nairaland. You know what, I don't even think about those kind of emails twice once I found out it involves any business, money or relationship, I delete them immediately. This is because I understand that they that wants to be rich through cheap/quick means will always fall into all kinds of fraud and temptation.

Let me say it boldly here again and let all the spammers read and also try me if they can, I CAN NEVER EVER BE SPAMMED AND DUPED VIA ONLINE WHATEVER BUSINESS, TRANSACTION, RELATIONSHIP OR MANIPULATIONS. Feel free to try me on goshen360@yahoo.co.uk

Once again, thank you Seun.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
justwise:

You talk unbelievable amount of rubbish, you visa-agent drops your email address for your 'clients' here, i have pointed this out to you before, you don't have any right to start moaning about your privacy.

By the way...i thought you wanted to leave nairaland couple of weeks ago and claimed have deleted all your posts?

you jus shot urself in the foot,u claim i dropped my email publicly ok good.then why didnt i get the spam mail,why were the recipient selected?explain pls
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
r231: Guys pls don't derail this thread again

Thank you

They are lovers of Human rights, civil rights and the freedom to choose.

You should respect their views and engage them critically.

Your hiding their posts is tantamount to gunning down peaceful defenseless protesters.

Such actions will fuel doubts and cynicism and incur more wrath.

Unban them for peace to rain or be ready to answer questions at E-Hague aka redhats....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ritualists On Prowl In Osun / Latest Paying Ponzi Scheme / Seun Can We Have Cbox On Nairaland Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.