Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (17244 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / Nairaland Did Not Send You That E-Mail! / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by tellwisdom: 8:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
Freiburger:
This means you have not read the very first post on this thread, so talking with you is of no use.

The thread is not even uptill ten pages and you are here telling me if i was following it... SMH sad sad
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by tellwisdom: 8:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
onlinenoni: [size=18pt]for fools blaiming the MODS and seun this is how you get spammed

[/size]

Hehehe!!--U too mumu...Thats just after extracting emails, as that is used for sending emails out and not for extracting them out from the database man grin grin. # Automated mass sender (AMS)
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sun of god:

Nice 'theory' . . .

Here's some of mine:

1) The email addresses were supplied by either Seun or a Mod for a fee?

2) A 'mod' has figured out seuns login (probably something like seun123 or seun419) and had captured the info?

3) GEJ ordered a 'cyber' campaign to start discrediting nairaland?

4) Seun whilst 'sleepwalking' sent the message but upon awakening has forgoten what he did whilst asleep?

5) Israel/Mossad sent an 'internet worm' to nairaland in error?

Rubbish talk. Go to google and type nairaland+yahoomail, open all the results in different windows.

Now go to google and type email extractor. Take the first or second result.

Now copy the pages you opened one by one and paste in the extractor.

After copying all and pasting in the extractor, click extract and see what you get.

Now here is the solution.

Go to the search tab in Nairaland and type your email. Search and open all your comments with your email in it and modify. Delete all.

Go to your profile and hide your emails.

As Seun said, if you use gmail just mark as spam. You can even select words in the email and create a filter.

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by tellwsdom: 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Banned by Freiburger in Nairaland / General for throlling. Ban expires on
Banned by sexkillz in Romance for Being a Nuisance and pissing members off with "smooch your boobs" comments.. Ban expires on

grin grin Why me??
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by DExplorer1: 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
pdudy:

Just tell us your site was hacked. No biggie. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. Too much tori.
Guy, i think you didn't read well when some members said they didn't recieve such message. Why allow your anger prompted by some mods to cloud your true judgement.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sun of god:

Nice 'theory' . . .

Here's some of mine:

1) The email addresses were supplied by either Seun or a Mod for a fee?

2) A 'mod' has figured out seuns login (probably something like seun123 or seun419) and had captured the info?

3) GEJ ordered a 'cyber' campaign to start discrediting nairaland?

4) Seun whilst 'sleepwalking' sent the message but upon awakening has forgoten what he did whilst asleep?

5) Israel/Mossad sent an 'internet worm' to nairaland in error?

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
1. These mods are not been paid? Then they can pay themselves by selling emails.
2. The mods always play smart. They are smart enough to spam us.
3. I started getting spam emails after a Mod sent me a PM. I 've to abandon the account.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Yorisb: 8:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
val_dee: 1. These mods are not been paid? Then they can pay themselves by selling emails.
3. I started getting spam emails after a Mod sent me a PM. I 've to abandon the account.

shocked shocked
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
val_dee: 1. These mods are not been paid? Then they can pay themselves by selling emails.

Do you think MODs are hungry or something undecided undecided
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Mavor: 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY NOW TO PROVE UR INNOCENCE NOT WHEN THAT MOD OF URS R123 IS BLOCKING AND HIDDING ALL COMMENTS THAT ARE BEEN POSTED ON UR EARLIER THREAD ,IF U WANT US TO BELIEVE U TELL THAT MONKEY TO RELESE LL ACCOUNTS HE HAS BLOCKED .CAN U BELIEVE THAT IDIOT IS BOASTING THAT HE WILL LOCK S MUCH AS 1000 ACCOUNTS OF PEOPLE THAT QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY
Seun this nonsense of your moderators censoring free speech has to stop. It will create a big problem soon. Most Nairalands are choosing to ignore it for now. But it is gonna boil over. haba!!! the old nairaland was not like this. Who the Zap do some of your mods think they are? They should leave their personal preferences out of this place. Omo I dey vex oooo!!! Olorun!!! Ok na!!!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Freiburger(m): 9:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mavor: Seun this nonsense of your moderators censoring free speech has to stop. It will create a big problem soon. Most Nairalands are choosing to ignore it for now. But it is gonna boil over. haba!!! the old nairaland was not like this. Who the Zap do some of your mods think they are? They should leave their personal preferences out of this place. Omo I dey vex oooo!!! Olorun!!! Ok na!!!
No one is being censored here, every poster got his or her freedom of speech. But the consistent trolling by some posters, downgrading the image of the site is what we are standing up against, and we won't stop till we get to our zeal. Hope you get it.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by DExplorer1: 9:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
The other day i saw OAM4J created a thread on a love letter sent to Seun, i was wondering its essence. I said then that means Seun and his mods does not know what's happening to their users. I recieved love letters every week from some supposed NL members attached with e-flowers and a different email to reply. It wasn't pleasant, so i changed from Yahoo to Gmail and it's better now. I stand to be corrected, the fault came from Nairaland. The last template has a way of displaying our emails (ID) especially if you want to be seen as "online" on Yahoo chat and co. I guess that was why a PM was created as sub on this new template yet the damage has been done. I can only wish NL well and hope for more growth as people like me has made here a second home especially when less occupied.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Dimples316(f): 9:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
SEUN OSEWA

All I am saying is provide the deactivate your account option on NL.

It bothers me that you have turned a deaf ear to this request by me and some other users on your previous thread.

You are not even saying anything as a way of explanation, as to why that option is unavailable and has been since the creation of this website.

What's with the silent attitude on this?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Like someone explained earlier, i buy the SMTP server theory and that`s the only way Seun can get off the hook on his email address the spammers used besides that, Nairaland Mods need some kind of morale booster because their job is not paid for so they can only derive some sense of worthyness by victimizing other site members.
Seun really has a hard nut to crack this time.grin
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Mavor: 9:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Freiburger:
No one is being censored here, every poster got his or her freedom of speech. But the consistent trolling by some posters, downgrading the image of the site is what we are standing up against, and we won't stop till we get to our zeal. Hope you get it.
Please define trolling. Stop saying what isn't the obvious please. Censoring words like Zap, kitten and b.r.e.a.s.t as if this is a religious site is one thing. but removing people's comments all together is another crappy ball game entirely
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
chippyripp:

@ Onatisii You are making a big fool of your self here and your showing how daft and uneducated you are.Please stop misleading fellow nairalander because of your ignorance.i get spam mails from bank of america,wellsfargo,hsbc on a daily basis does that mean they are held accountable? the best they can do and seun is doing is to educate you people.Dont u people get mails from nigerian bank educating the masses about PHISHING. before you dumb illiterate come online take a minute and go to google.com and search how to secure your privacy online.Phishing is peculiar to any major company and this just shows that nairaland has grown.

NB:
Anybody that feels aggrieved can quit nairaland and stop posting rubbish about how seun and the mod want to rip you.Only if you people knew how much they put in making sure this site has 100% uptime.

Thnak you nairaland and justwise u helped me save 150k i was suppose to pay an agent for visa counseling.Only if u know how many other people u have help with this website.God Bless You

ODE ODE FOOL YOU GET SPAM MAIL FROM BANK OF AMERICA,YOUR FIRST STATEMENT IS ENOUGH TO DISCOURAGE ME FROM READING THE REMAINING
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Freiburger(m): 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii:

ODE ODE FOOL YOU GET SPAM MAIL FROM BANK OF AMERICA,YOUR FIRST STATEMENT IS ENOUGH TO DISCOURAGE ME FROM READING THE REMAINING
STOP CALLING SOMEONE A FOOL FOR NO SERIOUS REASON! angry angry angry
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
Seun, there's 1 incident that happened @ the romance section, a poster was asking for how to hack the boy friend's fb account.
One of your Mod told her how to do it using Keylogger. So, they can do what you never imagined.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Shaw007(m): 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
U guy shud calm down down and understand that this kind of thing is absolutely normal. . .ntn is impregnable,nt even even fbi(thanks 2 anonymous)

shit happens,and its absolutely thru what some are saying about mods,but what u dont understand is how much trouble they go about doing their job

some of you castigating d mods,are u suggesting that all mods be fired. . .u all know what will happen 2 nairaland without mods for days.they keep this place in check and shud be respected(4ck age. . .they dont exist here)

And besides,anyone coming here saying they fell victim of d spam is an absolute liar,spams get sent 2 every email on daily basis,so they are not new 2 ppl,infact they are easily recognizable.and i dont think there's any mail service now these days that doesnthave a spambot,even legitimate mails gets sent 2 d spam folder

D main thing we should be facing now is how this doesnt repeat itself,and if any investigation whatsoever is required,do it.

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
LISTEN PEOPLE LET ME STATE CLEARLY HERE WHY I AM CERTAIN THESE MODS OR ONE OF THEM IS NOT SINCERE,I GOT MY FB ACCOUNT DISABLED TODAY AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT WENT WRONG,
i was using a differnt password for fb and nl but two weeks ago i decided to be using the same for fb and nl.well my fb account whish shares the same password with nl got compromised the very day nl system was hacked .please can someone tell me it was one of these mods that was trying to use my fb account and i use the same email i used for fb for my nl.now pls ladies and gentle kindly tell me i am wrong not to believe one of these mods did the hacking
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Why would somebody want to hack or use your Facebook from Nairaland undecided

Like seriously
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
val_dee: Seun, there's 1 incident that happened @ the romance section, a poster was asking for how to hack the boy friend's fb account.
One of your Mod told her how to do it using Keylogger. So, they can do what you never imagined.

So you are now suggesting that we might be sending keylogger to some of you?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 9:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Freiburger:
STOP CALLING SOMEONE A FOOL FOR NO SERIOUS REASON! angry angry angry
HE SAYS HE GETS SPAMS MAILS FROM WELFARGO AND BANK OF AMERICA,ISNT THAT OUTSTANDING FOOLISHNESS
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
Shaw007: U guy shud calm down down and understand that this kind of thing is absolutely normal. . .ntn is impregnable,nt even even fbi(thanks 2 anonymous)

shit happens,and its absolutely thru what some are saying about mods,but what u dont understand is how much trouble they go about doing their job

some of you castigating d mods,are u suggesting that all mods be fired. . .u all know what will happen 2 nairaland without mods for days.they keep this place in check and shud be respected(4ck age. . .they dont exist here)

And besides,anyone coming here saying they fell victim of d spam is an absolute liar,spams get sent 2 every email on daily basis,so they are not new 2 ppl,infact they are easily recognizable.and i dont think there's any mail service now these days that doesnthave a spambot,even legitimate mails gets sent 2 d spam folder

D main thing we should be facing now is how this doesnt repeat itself,and if any investigation whatsoever is required,do it.

see all this problems is normal buy the attitude of these so call mods is very unbecoming,that is the anger ppl are voicing out now
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 9:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
r231: Why would somebody want to hack or use your Facebook from Nairaland undecided

Like seriously
were u the one?i dont know where seun got this ppl from oo.a mod doesnt kno that spamming is illegal,now nother one doesnt know that fb accounts re hacked everyday
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
justwise:

So you are now suggesting that we might be sending keylogger to some of you?

Any Mod with that knowledge can do more than that boss.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by hardbody: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
andyanders:

What you stated above is the truth on how nairaland member's emails got compromised. Seun, the moderator can NEVER be held liable as people can use any kind "extractor"of tools to extract members emails. What Seun did by alerting members is/was the best thing to have done to members on nairaland.
So Seun, keep up your good work with your team. Long live Seun and long live Naraland members. Woe unto those people that hack these emails from nairaland.

I got d spam but knew it was spam because the spammer claimed to have gotten my mail addy from Nairaland, when indeed, my email on NL is a one off addy that doesn't link back to me in any serious sense. Anyways, I enjoyed my little chatty convo with the 2she males that wrote to me, we shall see who will scam who in the long run. Check my profile at www.419eaters.com to understand what I mean
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
seun this is my last advice to you.your name sounds yoruba therefore i will give u an adage,alatisi lo mo atise ara e.you must understand nairaland is not a local site ,nigerians and non nigerians from all over the world visit this site to know and learn more about nigeria.the people that visit ur site far exceed the 900000 members that are registered.and this is given ur site a bad publicity many ppl will become weary of regitering now.all this problem can die down with a simple apology to all those affected and a promise to improve ur site security and employ capable hands as mods ,but if u keep dragging this issue all these mods will spoil ur good idea.that is my advice to you
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
chippyripp:

@ Onatisii You are making a big fool of your self here and your showing how daft and uneducated you are.Please stop misleading fellow nairalander because of your ignorance.i get spam mails from bank of america,wellsfargo,hsbc on a daily basis does that mean they are held accountable? the best they can do and seun is doing is to educate you people.Dont u people get mails from nigerian bank educating the masses about PHISHING. before you dumb illiterate come online take a minute and go to google.com and search how to secure your privacy online.Phishing is peculiar to any major company and this just shows that nairaland has grown.

NB:
Anybody that feels aggrieved can quit nairaland and stop posting rubbish about how seun and the mod want to rip you.Only if you people knew how much they put in making sure this site has 100% uptime.

Thnak you nairaland and justwise u helped me save 150k i was suppose to pay an agent for visa counseling.Only if u know how many other people u have help with this website.God Bless You

Nice one.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Freiburger(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
@ seedord
watch what you are posting i will not repeat this again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ritualists On Prowl In Osun / Latest Paying Ponzi Scheme / Seun Can We Have Cbox On Nairaland Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.