Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia (13327 Views)

Fidelity Bank Rebrands, To Strengthen Focus On Youth Segment / A Humble Plea To . Please Refund My Money. Please!!! / Kalahari Nigeria - How Good Is The Online Shop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by mukina2: 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kasuwa.com announced today that it was rebranding and repositioning itself to be the largest online retailer in Africa, JUMIA.com. It will begin operating under the new trade name, JUMIA, effective immediately.

According to the company, the rebrand is the outcome of the overwhelming response to the online shop’s offerings in Nigeria. Within 6 weeks of its launch, there were over 1.8million visits. With its unbeatable prices and discounts, exclusive products and legendary Flash Sales, it continues to grow exponentially daily. It was the first place to offer the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone online as well as debuting numerous other products.

Speaking about the rebrand, co-founder Tunde Kehinde said, “It has become necessary to accelerate growth and integrate more seamlessly with the rest of Africa. The new JUMIA is larger and better equipped to fulfil the growing demand for online shopping in Nigeria.”

Top local and international brands already on the site include Apple, Nokia, Blackberry, Huggies, Clinique, House of Tara and Lego. JUMIA plans to add more categories, including fashion, shoes and computer games, eventually selling over 25,000 items by the end of the year.

At JUMIA.com, Nigerians can expect the latest mobile phones, laptops, electronics and home appliances. Additionally, there are over 20,000 book titles and an extensive catalogue of beauty, hair, baby and children’s products. JUMIA’s indeed the largest general retailer of consumer goods online.

“Being part of the largest online store in Africa, will allow us to better leverage our network to provide a wider selection of brands and products, customers will experience even better prices, improved customer service and more value added features that will improve their shopping experience.” said co- founder Raphael Afaedor.

To celebrate it’s launch, JUMIA is offering free delivery anywhere in the country and sponsoring a giveaway competition where customers who fill out their profiles in their free accounts stand a chance to win a Samsung Galaxy S3 and other prizes. All the information for the competition is available on the new JUMIA website www. or on the

http://www.cp-africa.com/2012/08/15/online-shop-kasuwa-rebrands-to-jumia/
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Afam4eva(m): 2:17pm On Aug 16, 2012
lol grin when market no move dem go begin change name.

3 Likes

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by sylve11: 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
U Afam wetin u think say man go do when things no dey go as planned? grin grin cool
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by ayogabriel(m): 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
It is simply called re branding
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by moneyquest: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's really quite disturbing that they are changing names very quickly considering what they have so far spent in branding kasuwa.com. In any case, I wish them the best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by miteolu(m): 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kasuwa means market (in Hausa Language) Jumia is a Muslim name
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by blank(f): 2:33pm On Aug 16, 2012
Very annoying people. They will be deceiving people with their free deliveries, etc.
I bought a dvd from them. It took them over 2 months to deliver.
What helped me remain calm was that i had chosen the option to pay at point of delivery.
I kept calling them and it was from one failed promise to the other, some were outright lies.
When they finally delivered, they did not even call to know if someone would be home.
My gateman called me when i was in the market and my family had gone for the weekend that someone was looking for me.
I pitied that DHL guy cos he had to wait till i got home (which was like 3 hrs wait).

Bottom line, I won't touch them with a ten foot pole whatever their names are.

4 Likes

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by SlyIg(f): 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
Baptism things...
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by papagiddy(m): 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
fraud online stuff.always deceiving people with free delivery and u get nothing
They are scammer o!!! i lost some money thru this Bleep online fraud outlet. i order for somebooks 2months ago and then paid into their GTB account.now cant get d books and no refund after several e mails and phone calls.. my order number is 200008712. initially i thought the are like amazon etc but.......
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ahaha...jumia ke? I prefer Kasuwa oh.and its only been around 4 a few months and dey are already rebranding...btw m going to open a free accnt soon.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Drlumi: 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
blank: Very annoying people. They will be deceiving people with their free deliveries, etc.
What helped me remain calm was that i had chosen the option to pay at point of delivery.
I kept calling them and it was from one failed promise to the other, some were outright lies.
When they finally delivered, they did not even call to know if someone would be home.
My gateman called me when i was in the market and my family had gone for the weekend that someone was looking for me.
I pitied that DHL guy cos he had to wait till i got home (which was like 3 hrs wait).

Lol smiley You can't really blame them, though. They are pioneering (not exactly, but kind of) in the Nigerian market and the logistics are far from being perfect at the moment. Until they have a critical mass of customers, it's going to be very difficult for them to deliver on their promises at the right time. At the same time, it would be very difficult for them to sell if they don't promise the same kind of services provided in more mature markets. So, it's a catch 22 situation. With time (and competition), I think the situation will improve.

1 Like

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
blank: Very annoying people. They will be deceiving people with their free deliveries, etc.

I just ordered a bb9860 online recently, I looked at the name 'Kasuwa' and quietly gave them chance. Went with smartbuy. I ordered Friday and received Monday. Thank God I saw this now. I am definitely not going near them.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
Drlumi:

Lol smiley You can't really blame them, though. They are pioneering (not exactly, but kind of) in the Nigerian market and the logistics are far from being perfect at the moment. Until they have a critical mass of customers, it's going to be very difficult for them to deliver on their promises at the right time. At the same time, it would be very difficult for them to sell if they don't promise the same kind of services provided in more mature markets. So, it's a catch 22 situation. With time (and competition), I think the situation will improve.
They didn't pioneer shi. t. Smartbuy.com.ng has been there for like 5 years or more and their customer service is superb.

1 Like

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by damola1: 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
Drlumi:

Lol smiley You can't really blame them, though. They are pioneering(not exactly, but kind of) in the Nigerian market and the logistics are far from being perfect at the moment. Until they have a critical mass of customers, it's going to be very difficult for them to deliver on their promises at the right time. At the same time, it would be very difficult for them to sell if they don't promise the same kind of services provided in more mature markets. So, it's a catch 22 situation. With time (and competition), I think the situation will improve.

Wrong!.. They are not pioneering.. at SSM Nigeria. We've done over 8000 deliveries since 2007.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
Dead on arrival.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
damola1:

Wrong!.. They are not pioneering.. at SSM Nigeria. We've done over 8000 deliveries since 2007.
True, this is another old online shop.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by robinhoodd2(m): 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
Drlumi:

MR MAN, QUIT LYING, COS IT AINT GOOD FOR U.u said u waited for up to 2 MONTHS.KASUWA came into being when sef?
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by moneyquest: 4:21pm On Aug 16, 2012

That probably tells you why they are rebranding too soon! I thought Kasuwa makes more sense that Jumia, but what do I know?
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by DualCore1: 4:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
Are the owners related to the dealfish/kalahari freaks? Common behavioral trend.

Get a brainwave > pump money into the brainwave > create a brand via Google Adwords > Jam reality > Accept the harsh reality > Rebrand/Die/Merge > Damage control telling the world how wow everything will be now that it has "evolved" or gone through a "rebrand".

Am I the only one wondering when Mocality will die? It looks like the next in line.

6 Likes

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by blank(f): 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
robinhoodd2: MR MAN, QUIT LYING, COS IT AINT GOOD FOR U.u said u waited for up to 2 MONTHS.KASUWA came into being when sef?

Pease, shut up your mouth if you have nothing to say. Must you expose your ignorance to the whole world? WHose fault that you are just hearing about them? Cretin.

1 Like

Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by blank(f): 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
Drlumi:

I have used dealdey and they also just started yet their services are superb just that they are not really into electronics. As for Kasuwa, nothing anybody in this world will say will make me use them even if they change their name. I bought the dvd as a gift cos i wanted to save small cost as they were giving a discount. Had to buy something else and also wasted my credit in the process. Bunch of liars.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by spendogram: 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Dual Core: Are the owners related to the dealfish/kalahari freaks? Common behavioral trend.

Get a brainwave > pump money into the brainwave > create a brand via Google Adwords > Jam reality > Accept the harsh reality > Rebrand/Die/Merge > Damage control telling the world how wow everything will be now that it has "evolved" or gone through a "rebrand".

Am I the only one wondering when Mocality will die? It looks like the next in line.

Guy you harsh ooo.
But then you are right on point. Nigerian government needs to create policies that will help serious minded local businesses and prevent unhealthy competition from strong foreign businesses.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Chrisvicmall: 5:23pm On Aug 16, 2012
I hope they stay strong. Every mans dream is to run a successful business. Hope they fix their act together.

Anyway, for guys that want to have their own online store without stress, know when someone is buying your product, pay your services online, or purchase things from stores in Nigeria, Usa, China or any where around the globe, check out chrisvicmall.com which provides you with all these features. Hope you guys will like it
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by DualCore1: 5:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^ not the Government. Google Adwords should put policies on the age of a domain and the amount it can spend per day running ads. How can you create a domain today and immediately pump 200 Dollars per day into ads? ...Just an instance.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
I subscribed for their newsletters. Today I saw a mail from JUMIA...I shouted Yee!! This online thieves r after me oº°˚! And I unsubscribed. Later on I saw that it was KASUWA dat changed dia names....mtscheew! Same difference..who cares anyway?
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by abe4kom: 6:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
Dual Core: Are the owners related to the dealfish/kalahari freaks? Common behavioral trend.

Boy, that's really hot cool cool
I pitch my tent with you on this.
Mocality? Can't fathom what those guys are on about.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Sammy107d(m): 7:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
People telling tales of 2month old orders. Very funny. Facts: Jumia will not delay a delivery for two months. It is virtually impossible. Jumia didn't even have a books category two months ago. If your order is delayed past the maximum delivery time promised, call customer care. If you're still not satisfied, or if the occasion for the 'gift'-giving has passed, simply cancel your order. If your product is faulty, invoke the Jumia warranty. It's very simple.

The need to rebrand was borne out of incredible growth, not a slowdown. Jumia nigeria is now part of an international brand just like Jumia Egypt etc., all under the Rocket internet umbrella. That means more liberty to diversify product offerings and expand across other African countries. At 1.8million visits within three months and 20,000 visitors daily, there's no better sign of growth.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by Sammy107d(m): 8:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
... And you pitied a 'DHL' guy? Interesting.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by mrperfect(m): 8:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
Every business owner wants to succeed and make impact, I wish them best of luck.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by blank(f): 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sammy107_d: People telling tales of 2month old orders. Very funny. Facts: Jumia will not delay a delivery for two months. It is virtually impossible. Jumia didn't even have a books category two months ago. If your order is delayed past the maximum delivery time promised, call customer care. If you're still not satisfied, or if the occasion for the 'gift'-giving has passed, simply cancel your order. If your product is faulty, invoke the Jumia warranty. It's very simple.

The need to rebrand was borne out of incredible growth, not a slowdown. Jumia nigeria is now part of an international brand just like Jumia Egypt etc., all under the Rocket internet umbrella. That means more liberty to diversify product offerings and expand across other African countries. At 1.8million visits within three months and 20,000 visitors daily, there's no better sign of growth.

Do you think you are talking to an illiterate? I bought a book as well as the dvd. Did u miss where I stated that I called them on numerous occasions but they kept on telling me lies? Even after they changed their number from a mobile number to a landline nos. I sent a stinker of a mail yet no response. Since you work there, I will send you my order number so you can check if I am lying. Although I know you will switch it around cos everytime I called they kept on trying to make it seem like I had just placed the order when I had placed it long before then.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by blank(f): 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
For your info, I am a dissatisfied customer and I am definitely going to spread your bad news and discourage people I know from using your service cos y'all plain incompetent. No one called to apologise, I was the one making all the calls.
Re: Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia by dnawah(m): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
afam4eva: lol grin when market no move dem go begin change name.
them no be the 1st after all ngbechi enter scool dey answer cindy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World Bank Agrees To Give Nigeria $2.5bn Loan / Crude Oil Price In Further 5.6% Fall / Bank Marketers, Are They Trying To Seduce Me With Romance Or What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.