Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,124 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation (11437 Views)

Woman Flees Nigeria To Canada To Escape FGM / Ibeyi Talk About Their Yoruba Heritage In A New Interview / Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 10:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
I knows that FGM takes place in many, many african countries.
The reason I put this under culture, not religion, is because it does not belong to a religion. It is, yes, mainly muslims who perform this now, but this has to do with culture, not religion.

Female genital mutilation (FGM), also known as female genital cutting and female circumcision, is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as "all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female Instruments, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons."[1]
FGM is typically carried out on girls from a few days old to puberty. It may take place in a hospital, but is usually performed, without anaesthesia, by a traditional circumciser using a knife, razor, or scissors. According to the WHO, it is practiced in 28 countries in western, eastern, and north-eastern Africa, in parts of the Middle East, and within some immigrant communities in Europe, North America, Australasia.[2] The WHO estimates that 100–140 million women and girls around the world have experienced the procedure, including 92 million in Africa.[1] The practice is carried out by some communities who believe it reduces a woman's libido.[3]
The WHO has offered four classifications of FGM. The main three are Type I, removal of the clitoral hood, almost invariably accompanied by removal of the clitoris itself (clitoridectomy); Type II, removal of the clitoris and inner labia; and Type III (infibulation), removal of all or part of the inner and outer labia, and usually the clitoris, and the fusion of the wound, leaving a small hole for the passage of urine and menstrual blood—the fused wound is opened for intercourse and childbirth.[4] Around 85 percent of women who undergo FGM experience Types I and II, and 15 percent Type III, though Type III is the most common procedure in several countries, including Sudan, Somalia, and Djibouti.[5] Several miscellaneous acts are categorized as Type IV. These range from a symbolic pricking or piercing of the clitoris or labia, to cauterization of the clitoris, cutting into the vagina to widen it (gishiri cutting), and introducing corrosive substances to tighten it.[4]
Opposition to FGM focuses on human rights violations, lack of informed consent, and health risks, which include fatal hemorrhaging, epidermoid cysts, recurrent urinary and vaginal infections, chronic pain, and obstetrical complications. Since 1979, there have been concerted efforts by international bodies to end the practice, including sponsorship by the United Nations of an International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation, held each 6 February since 2003.[6] Sylvia Tamale, a Ugandan legal scholar, writes that there is a large body of research and activism in Africa itself that strongly opposes FGM, but she cautions that some African feminists object to what she calls the imperialist infantilization of African women, and they reject the idea that FGM is nothing but a barbaric rejection of modernity. Tamale suggests that there are cultural and political aspects to the practice's continuation that make opposition to it a complex issue.[7]
( Taken from Wikipedia, the easiest acess. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FGC_Types.svg - Pictures, drawings, of the different kinds.

What is peoples takes on this in Narialand? Is this going on in YOUR country? Has it been done to you? Would you do it on your child?
WHat if you husband/wifes family wish to do it on your daughter? And what if they DID, without your agreement?

As some know, my husband is from Gambia. FGM is still going on down there, but more awereness and teachings about how it can affect women, has made more and more turn away from it. It is not written in the quran, or the bible, to perform FGM.
If someone did this to my child..I would try to kill everyone involved. I would report them all to the police, both in Gambia, and in Norway. I would contact the embassy, I would do everything to destroy both the people who did it, and also the goverment for letting this continue.
I have already told the women in my husband family that if they perform this on any girls in our family, I will cut them off. They will never recieve any financial help from me or my husband again, and they will never see us again either. I just pray and hope that they turn away from it as well..if anyone lay a hand on my daughter..Off.

It is barbaric, and it need to stop.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's really sad i swear, stories I've read about some women experiences with circumcision just makes me want to kill myself, really!
The truth is that it still goes on in some rural part of Nigeria but not as common as it used to be.
In shut, i pity d person that would open his/her mouth to tell me to circumsize my girl, AHH..OOH...EEH... They would know why my name is Shollypopz!!
Hmmm, what i would do and say to them ehn, inshut d drama i would cause just because it was suggested alone ehn, OOOH..OO..HMMMM,
In fact, knowing me means u can't try that rubbish with me, u just can't!
Why would i even hv a family that primitive/barbaric and still keep in contact with them, Oshisko!

Btw, AAs are not allowed to speak badly of my country-Nigeria. If not, this thread would not be about circumcision anymore-I don warn una ooo angry angry
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
Yo Sholly....

Black Americans aren't allowed to speak on a public forum about ANYTHING but Arabs, Asians, White, and Hispanic people can?

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 11:11pm On Aug 16, 2012
No matter where you are from, you can always critize a country. But yes, the people living there knows it the best.

And I am not suprised it goes on there as well. It seems its mainly outside the cities ( and f.ex. Gambia dont have much city.. ) in all the african countries were it goes on.
I have heard both bad, and not bad, stories. Some only get the hood over the klit cut off, others get everything chopped, and get stichted back together. And they have to be cut open..

I also know that some tribes/families still have the ceremony ( most of the time when FGM is performed, they celebrate it after ), but without the cutting. Cultural visions on it, I do understand they wish to celebrate the girl crossing a line etc..

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Yo Sholly....

Black Americans aren't allowed to speak on a public forum about ANYTHING but Arabs, Asians, White, and Hispanic people can?

Oh, you changed it fromm only being about white people?smiley
Btw: Please, please take that discussion somewhere else..make an own thread about it.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Yo Sholly....

OH!! JallowBah is white?? I no know oo.....
btw, she did not speak bad about Nigeria or Africa yet, she managed to keep it insult free but i knw u "Akatas" find that difficult.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
JallowBah:

Oh, you changed it fromm only being about white people?smiley
Btw: Please, please take that discussion somewhere else..make an own thread about it.
No vex, it's all about circumcision henceforth
JallowBah: No matter where you are from, you can always critize a country. But yes, the people living there knows it the best.
If you want to criticize my country, do it with style. If not, this thread would turn to a war zone oooo
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
btw, she did not speak bad about Nigeria or Africa yet, she managed to keep it insult free but i knw u "Akatas" find that difficult.

Like I said; Aint nothing wrong with putting light on bad parts of countries, and I might add; as long as you do it with respect, no bad-mouthing and trashing. That goes for almost anything you decide to talk about..

( Kinda wished I did not tell anyone in here I was white. Seems like my opinions at times get put down just because of my skin-colour.. )

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Hold on let me write something really Ignorant to Pisss Sholly off

[size=19pt]These Nasty AZZZ Africans!!!!! Ole Nasty Mouthafoukas!!! Mutilating Little Girls!!!![/size]
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:

Damn Royal broke your heart huh? You never spoke bad about any countries/person YOURSELF? Don't lie.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:17pm On Aug 16, 2012
~Royal~:

[size=19pt]These Nasty AZZZ Africans!!!!! Ole Nasty Mouthafoukas!!! Mutilating Little Girls!!!![/size]

Royal SITCHO ARSE DOWN!
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 11:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
~Royal~:

Sorry mate, ain`t just africans.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^Royal broke my heart
I only speak bad about ur country if u speak bad about mine angry angry
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 11:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
....and there we go.

Was hoping to actually get some serious talk here, but. Oh, well.
Let me get back to posting music-videos instead.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz: ^^Royal broke my heart
I only speak bad about ur country if u speak bad about mine angry angry

So you have spoken bad about other countries but YOU HAD THE NERVE to tell Jallowbah how she shouldn't speak about your country or African countries

Typical...........
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

So you have spoken bad about other countries but YOU HAD THE NERVE to tell Jallowbah how she shouldn't speak about your country or African countries

Typical...........
Are u a dullard?? Is JallowBah AA?? I did not hv to tell her because she's smart enough to know that. Read b4 u type dammit! U are sounding stupid, get outta here if u don't want to tlk about circumcision angry angry
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
JallowBah: ....and there we go.

Was hoping to actually get some serious talk here, but. Oh, well.
Let me get back to posting music-videos instead.
Sorry, ignore us
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
Are u a dullard?? Is JallowBah AA?? I did not hv to tell her because she's smart enough to know that. Read b4 u type dammit! U are sounding stupid, get outta here if u don't want to tlk about circumcision angry angry

i see you didn't answer my question....thought so.

Being called a dullard and silly ARE great compliments coming from you. I don't give a Bleep what Jallowbah is....I was talking to you dizzy.

And If I don't leave...what are you going to do? Snitch? Scout for cheerleaders? grin grin grin grin
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

That's a great compliment coming from you. I don't give a Bleep what Jallowbah is....I was talking to you dizzy.

And If I don't leave...what are you going to do? Snitch? Scout for cheerleaders? grin grin grin grin
It's dinner time Mrs Chima, go and eat!! U are obviously hungry......
U are beginning to type incoherent nonsense
P.s: I hv answered ur question previously
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
It's dinner time Mrs Chima, go and eat!! U are obviously hungry......
U are beginning to type incoherent nonsense
P.s: I hv answered ur question previously

Dizzy and boring. Yawns. Are you going to tell us how you were circumcised as a child? Royal...it looks like you dodged a bullet there.

Can you provide videos?
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Dizzy and boring. Yawns. Are you going to tell us how you were circumcised as a child? Royal...it looks like you dodged a bullet there.

Can you provide videos?
I was circumcised
Pls whoever knows this ST*UPID woman should kindly take her away from here. She is disgracing herself and constituting a nuisance
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
I was circumcised
Pls whoever knows this ST*UPID woman should kindly take her away from her. She is disgracing herself and constituting a nuisance

You are real ladylike....not lipsrsealed

Awwwww. Painful memory huh? Let it all out....It will be okay. wink
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Awwwww. Painful memory huh? Let it all out....It will be okay. wink
Do you know how st*upid u sound??!! This is like high school lame!
Stop derailing the nice woman's thread wiv ur st*upidity
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
Do you know how st*upid u sound??!! This is like high school lame!
Stop derailing the nice woman's thread wiv ur st*upidity

Why don't you lead by example...not so bright one?

Need a kleenex? Blow your nose chile.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Why don't you lead by example...not so bright one?

Need a kleenex? Blow your nose chile.
OH! u want to hv d last word
Sure, reply stupidly one more time and there u hv it
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by MrsChima(f): 11:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
Shollypopz:
OH! u want to hv d last word
Sure, reply stupidly one more time and there u hv it

Okay vapid trick. You are still talking....

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 17, 2012
Damn yall quoted that Boolshid i wrote now i can't even edit it and take it out. lol
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 8:20am On Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for f`ing it up.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 17, 2012
JallowBah: I knows that FGM takes place in many, many african countries.
The reason I put this under culture, not religion, is because it does not belong to a religion. It is, yes, mainly muslims who perform this now, but this has to do with culture, not religion.

( Taken from Wikipedia, the easiest acess. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FGC_Types.svg - Pictures, drawings, of the different kinds.

What is peoples takes on this in Narialand? Is this going on in YOUR country? Has it been done to you? Would you do it on your child?
WHat if you husband/wifes family wish to do it on your daughter? And what if they DID, without your agreement?

As some know, my husband is from Gambia. FGM is still going on down there, but more awereness and teachings about how it can affect women, has made more and more turn away from it. It is not written in the quran, or the bible, to perform FGM.
If someone did this to my child..I would try to kill everyone involved. I would report them all to the police, both in Gambia, and in Norway. I would contact the embassy, I would do everything to destroy both the people who did it, and also the goverment for letting this continue.
I have already told the women in my husband family that if they perform this on any girls in our family, I will cut them off. They will never recieve any financial help from me or my husband again, and they will never see us again either. I just pray and hope that they turn away from it as well..if anyone lay a hand on my daughter..Off.

It is barbaric, and it need to stop.

JallowBah: If someone did this to my child..I would try to kill everyone involved.

JallowBah: It is barbaric, and it need to stop.

I think it is Barbaric too, but just to play Devils Advocate it is apart of certain people's culture.

So who are we to say it should "stop"

I actually brought this topic up on the forum a few times myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMDZrkvPdcw
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kikuyu1(m): 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
I have personal experience of 'seeing,' (cough!/cough!)circumcised women. They're not frigid-HELL NO! One of my best all time lays was a cut meru,who are our kinfolk. Quite a number of Ethios and Eris are also cut;mind you this is only a clitoridectomy not the dreaded 'everything-must-be-snipped-and-stitched' Somali mutilation.
Even this type is not necessarily frigid but emotionally they're very difficult to reach due to the residual trauma;which interferes with the actual 'dinyaring'as we call it in Kenya.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2012
~Royal~:

I think it is Barbaric too, but just to play Devils Advocate it is apart of certain people's culture.

So who are we to say it should "stop"

I actually brought this topic up on the forum a few times myself.

I can admit, if it was only the hood over the clit, I would think of it as how I think about circumsission for boys. Not too much of a big deal.
But to cut the whole clit...? Come on, talk about thiefing womens sexuality.
Its not right, in any kind of way.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2012
kikuyu1: I have personal experience of 'seeing,' (cough!/cough!)circumcised women. They're not frigid-HELL NO! One of my best all time lays was a cut meru,who are our kinfolk. Quite a number of Ethios and Eris are also cut;mind you this is only a clitoridectomy not the dreaded 'everything-must-be-snipped-and-stitched' Somali mutilation.
Even this type is not necessarily frigid but emotionally they're very difficult to reach due to the residual trauma;which interferes with the actual 'dinyaring'as we call it in Kenya.

I have met muslim med who say they are not 100% aure if the women was cut or not, die to the fact that some only cut the part of the inner lips that hang outside for example, and nothing else. Some women are born like that natural as well, so for them to see the difference..

The worst one is of course the one where they only leave a small whole. And I do believe that that one is not the one they use the most..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Authentic Origin Of Man And The Universe. / What Does Ur Native Name Means? / If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.