Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. (763 Views)

The Truth About Speaking In Tongues And Holy Ghost Baptism... / Man Was Not Created Black; Man Turned Black Due To Punishment And Suffering / Relevance Of "the Blood Of Jesus"and Holy Ghost Fire,in Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 10:12pm On Aug 18, 2012
Religion has always puzzled me, especially when it comes to morality. From the biblical chronicles, to church doctrine, to the present day events around me, I never seem to find any sort of consistency in the high moral standards for which religions exclusively lay claim.

Take for example, the doctrine that Jesus has saved us of our sins. What sins, the ones I commited yesterday, today or the ones I am yet to commit? Why should I then be required to pray for forgiveness? If Jesus wipes my plate clean each time by virtue of his self sacrifice, where lies my responsiblity?

If I commit a crime against my society, evade the law, but later repent and accept jesus as my saviour,Do I not still have a moral obligation to pay penance to my society for the crime committed or is the forgiveness of Jesus enough to go to heaven?

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/my-robbery-story-ex-robber/

The story on the above link made me to ask this question.
If a robber has a change of heart, repents , confesses and accepts Jesus for his life, does both the church and the robber not have a moral obligation to the society to ensure that the former robber faces the law, stands trail and punishment for his confessed violent crimes against the society?
If he fails to turn himself in to the law for prosecution, can god still forgive him?

This question goes to the heart of religious or god-inspired morality and what it means for the greater society.
I would love for everyone to offer their views on this topic.
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2012
I went through the above story on the link. The comments i saw on the SUN were really pathetic.It shows the low level of thinking of most Nigerians. I can only ask the people i offended or committed crimes against for forgiveness. Jesus to me is never a relevant figure i should consider in away way,shape of form.

Religion is a blind fold put on black people for mental and spiritual enslavement. The Illuminati and Elite societies did a good damn job on we black people. Our country gets ripped of over $200 billion dollars worth of oil yearly and yet all Nigerians know how to do is quote the bloody unholy scriptures every now and then. It pains me that some people will still come here quoting bible verses while those white bastards keep looting our wealth,while the peanuts left for us are being looted by our greedy leaders. Nigerians are ready to die over religion rather than fight what matters most.

Jesus weather he actually exists or not is irrelevant. If anyone commits a crime,he will be punished either by the society or karma.
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 12:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
Shouldn't this topic make a good sunday sermon?
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2012
Mr Anoy and Ihedinaobi,Ijawkid and others,I would appreciate your opinions on this topic.

smiley
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by MacDaddy01: 3:11pm On Aug 19, 2012
plaetton: Mr Anoy and Ihedinaobi,Ijawkid and others,I would appreciate your opinions on this topic.

smiley

They are quite tired from the intellectual bashing they have received over the last few days!
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by cyrexx: 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
MacDaddy01:

They are quite tired from the intellectual bashing they have received over the last few days!

LOL

they will never be tired, they are soldiers in the army of christ fighting you agents of devils...

they are probably recharging and reloading..

1 Like

Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by MacDaddy01: 3:24pm On Aug 19, 2012
cyrexx:

LOL

they will never be tired, they are soldiers in the army of christ fighting you agents of devils...

they are probably recharging and reloading..

lol......

That humanist thread was epic!

Anony was not given a chance to talk down secular humanism/atheism like he usually does.

He probably thought that his pals would help him out. He got debunked by 3 different atheists from 3 different point of views.
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 6:19pm On Aug 19, 2012
Yawn.
cry
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by Joagbaje(m): 1:22pm On Aug 20, 2012
plaetton:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/my-robbery-story-ex-robber/

The story on the above link made me to ask this question.
If a robber has a change of heart, repents , confesses and accepts Jesus for his life, does both the church and the robber not have a moral obligation to the society to ensure that the former robber faces the law, stands trail and punishment for his confessed violent crimes against the society?
If he fails to turn himself in to the law for prosecution, can god still forgive him?

This question goes to the heart of religious or god-inspired morality and what it means for the greater society.
I would love for everyone to offer their views on this topic.

If a robber gets born again , he is a brand new man. Punishing him is punishing an innocent man. The evil spirit or demon of robbery has left him. The church may not be a ble to resist it if the law wants to carry out its justice on such a man. Some gave their heart to Christ while on the death row. They will still die despite the new faith. But spiritually ,an innocent man is being killed but physically a criminal is what the world sees.
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2012
Joagbaje:

If a robber gets born again , he is a brand new man. Punishing him is punishing an innocent man. The evil spirit or demon of robbery has left him. The church may not be a ble to resist it if the law wants to carry out its justice on such a man. Some gave their heart to Christ while on the death row. They will still die despite the new faith. But spiritually ,an innocent man is being killed but physically a criminal is what the world sees.

How can he be a brand new man if he does not pay back his debts to the society?
So being born again should be a legitimate defence in a criminal court to avoid harsh penalties like the life imprisonment of the death penalty?
If a robber kills a member of your family and then returns to your church and claims to be a repented born again man, does he automatically become an innocent man?
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by MrAnony1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2012
plaetton:

How can he be a brand new man if he does not pay back his debts to the society?
So being born again should be a legitimate defence in a criminal court to avoid harsh penalties like the life imprisonment of the death penalty?
If a robber kills a member of your family and then returns to your church and claims to be a repented born again man, does he automatically become an innocent man?
There is a part of repentance called restitution. If one receives Christ, it doesn't absolve him from bearing the consequences of his crime. He should be willing to face them.
Re: Crime , Punishment And Holy Ghost Arrest. by plaetton: 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
There is a part of repentance called restitution. If one receives Christ, it doesn't absolve him from bearing the consequences of his crime. He should be willing to face them.

I agree.
Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Atheist Summer Camp Is Heaven On Earth For Nonbelievers / Christianity Is Folly To The Faithless. / The Myth Of Religious Moderation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.