Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

The "REAL" Hausa - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "REAL" Hausa (158110 Views)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by ifyalways(f): 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2012
Pagan, thank you for yabing me. Lol

Now that we know "your people" can you revisit that cremation theory? Which, when and why would a "real" hausa man cremate?

Btw, no kitchen talk?hausa cuisine? Methinks its very low on nourishing nutrients, so much carbohydrates.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
1st pic: Hausa Turbaning Ceremony.
Nte: Hausa turbans are infact slightly different from Fulani ones. Hausa ones are generally bulb-shaped without the two tail-like pieces of cloth sticking out from the top, though these days they are both worn interchangeably. Fulani ones, apart from the tail-like elements, are also more closer to Touareg ones in structure and even many-a-times the indigo dye. Hausa turbans are made from cotton which is grown by us.

However the tail-like elements are generally reserved for Royals and is used by Hausa Royal as well.

The 2nd picture is of a palace guard from Daura.

The 3rd picture is a classic example of a Hausa turban.

The 4th picture is a classic example of a commoners Fulani turban, though worn in the durbar of the Kebbi/Arugungu Emirate.

I'm pretty proud of you for posting beautiful Hausa culture Pagan 9ja.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 9:09pm On Aug 21, 2012
I am very happy with this thread, and it is true that the Sultan of Sokoto is 100% Fulani, but he does not speak Fulfulde (Fulani language). So I can not really consider him as a true Fulani.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:37am On Aug 22, 2012
ifyalways: Pagan, thank you for yabing me. Lol

Now that we know "your people" can you revisit that cremation theory? Which, when and why would a "real" hausa man cremate?

Btw, no kitchen talk?hausa cuisine? Methinks its very low on nourishing nutrients, so much carbohydrates.

Hausas do not cremate. i was just giving my opinion on clean ways of body disposal in that thread. i prefer either cremation or leaving the body to animals and scavengers, so they benifit as well as us and to prevent seeping of rottingcontents into riverine bodies and underground water reserves and to save save/land which is an important natural resource.

as for kitchen talk, all n good time. to be honest, i am not much into food and cooking. .tongue

Fulaman198:

I'm pretty proud of you for posting beautiful Hausa culture Pagan 9ja.

Thank you brother for your support. cool

Fulaman198: I am very happy with this thread, and it is true that the Sultan of Sokoto is 100% Fulani, but he does not speak Fulfulde (Fulani language). So I can not really consider him as a true Fulani.

yes that is a result of changing times and circumstances. things must be put right. The Sultan Sokoto does call in Fulani for annual ceremonies and even Bororos/Woodabe to show off their regalia, but he must take a deeper interest into his own people and if it is true, learn his language.

5 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:39am On Aug 22, 2012
Hausa of Niger.

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:40am On Aug 22, 2012
i will be posting a couple of pictures and info at a time, to prevent mysef being banned again. .
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:42am On Aug 22, 2012
Hausa flutist and flute.

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:43am On Aug 22, 2012
Hausa granary.

3 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:49am On Aug 22, 2012
Hausa Weavers.

Hausa men weaving white cloth in strips 1cm in width. The completed strips will be sewn together edge to edge to make veils and robes, dyed dark indigo, then exported to Tuareg peoples in Niger and Mali. Kura, Kano State. Nigeria 2005. These are the narrowest strip of cloth woven in Africa and are among the most expensive of locally produced textiles. The production of this cloth for export to the peoples of the Sahara was once the main industry of Kano but today only a few skilled practitioners remain.

3 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:50am On Aug 22, 2012
A pair of Hausa cloth beaters at work in the village of Kura, Kano State. Completed and dyed veils are beaten with a mix of powdered indigo, goat fat, and water that imparts a metallic dark blue sheen. The cloth will be folded over into ever smaller sections and beaten repeatedly until the tightly pressed cloth forms a solid rectangular block about 30cm long. It is then wrapped in brown paper for sale. These two men are among the last remaining exponents of an ancient and highly skilled craft.

3 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 1:59am On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Hausa Weavers.

Hausa men weaving white cloth in strips 1cm in width. The completed strips will be sewn together edge to edge to make veils and robes, dyed dark indigo, then exported to Tuareg peoples in Niger and Mali. Kura, Kano State. Nigeria 2005. These are the narrowest strip of cloth woven in Africa and are among the most expensive of locally produced textiles. The production of this cloth for export to the peoples of the Sahara was once the main industry of Kano but today only a few skilled practitioners remain.

WOW, even I didn't know that. I used to think the Touareg made their own indigo dyed clothing. Did not know that the Hausa were responsible, Shame on me!
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 2:00am On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Hausa flutist and flute.

Can I buy one of these cheap grin
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:04am On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

WOW, even I didn't know that. I used to think the Touareg made their own indigo dyed clothing. Did not know that the Hausa were responsible, Shame on me!

Touareg are always on the move. they have no time. also it is not easy for them to carry handlooms around in camels.

Fulaman198:

Can I buy one of these cheap grin

yes you might get them. infact if you cant find them , you can search online. everything is available at our fingertips, these days.i brought a balafon from Mali and had it shipped here. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 2:09am On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Touareg are always on the move. they have no time. also it is not easy for them to carry handlooms around in camels.

yes you might get them. infact if you cant find them , you can search online. everything is available at our fingertips, these days.i brought a balafon from Mali and had it shipped here. grin

Well every now and then they do settle to make things (like Jewelry) I mean nomads are constantly on the move yes, but every now and then one settles down in an area so that their animals can graze. Touaregs make great jewelry (even better than us Fulbe I think). I will try searching for Hausa flute but I don't think I will find it.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 2:14am On Aug 22, 2012
I can't find Hausa Sareewa
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by rabzy: 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2012
Hello Pagan, Nice pics and very informational.

I had a friend from Gombe who i served with and he told me very interesting story about a power struggle between his family i.e his grandad/greatdad and his father and the Emir of Gombe.
Their family was an ancient one and they use to wield the power i think b4 the Fulanis took-over. The grand-dad had to be banished from his own Kingdom and told to reside in the Emir's palace where he was given quarters to stay. He said till date their quarters is still known as the the king of xxxx quarters inside the emir's palace.

It was a story of betrayals, horse rides thru the night, petitions to colonial authorities etc. I cant just remember no more. Do you know about this struggle with the gombe emir.

I just looked up the tribes in Gombe, the guy is most likely from Tula. Can you find out anything about the presence of their Kings quarters in the Emir's palace.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

Well every now and then they do settle to make things (like Jewelry) I mean nomads are constantly on the move yes, but every now and then one settles down in an area so that their animals can graze. Touaregs make great jewelry (even better than us Fulbe I think). I will try searching for Hausa flute but I don't think I will find it.

ah yes ofcourse. Touareg women especially are good at making jewelery for both men and women. today infact many Touareg are settling down or being forced to settle due to changing circumstances. but that is ofcourse another matter. i will see if i can find that flute for you.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:02pm On Aug 22, 2012
rabzy: Hello Pagan, Nice pics and very informational.

I had a friend from Gombe who i served with and he told me very interesting story about a power struggle between his family i.e his grandad/greatdad and his father and the Emir of Gombe.
Their family was an ancient one and they use to wield the power i think b4 the Fulanis took-over. The grand-dad had to be banished from his own Kingdom and told to reside in the Emir's palace where he was given quarters to stay. He said till date their quarters is still known as the the king of xxxx quarters inside the emir's palace.

It was a story of betrayals, horse rides thru the night, petitions to colonial authorities etc. I cant just remember no more. Do you know about this struggle with the gombe emir.

I just looked up the tribes in Gombe, the guy is most likely from Tula. Can you find out anything about the presence of their Kings quarters in the Emir's palace.

Thank you. yes a very interesting write up you have there.i have heard of this but they are not Hausa. yes even the colonial powers were involved.

The Tula people are known warriors that they repelled the combined forces of Suleiman son of the Fulani Emir of Gombe and Mai Sale the Emir of Misau in 1886, both were defeated by the joined forces of Shongom, Kaltungo, Ture and Tula Wange. The Emir of Misau, was killed in the battle and his head cut off. His remain was buried at Sukube Baule.

till then, a Tula Chiefdom remained and upto now. from the different Tula clans, when the British forces came, the Tebel of Kulaku hid and the Tebel of Kwarsu clan Succeeded and was made Mai in 1905.

ill have to research about this Kings' quarters angle.

however im not sure about this residence in the Kings quarters' story.

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
now i have constantle mentioned the Argungu-Kebbi Emirate. This is infact another Hausa Sarkindom to survive the Fulani jihad apart from the Larger and more prominent Daura Emirate. we have not lost all the wars against the Fulani jihad. This Kebbi-Argungu Emirate exists along with firthe 3 sub-Hausa Emirates who have all played their part in history of the Hausas. These are : Gwandu Emirate, Yauri Emirate and Zuru Emirate.

Kebbi State as a whole, has diverse ethnic groups, the dominant
among which are Hausas, Kabawa, Dakarkaris, Kambaris,Gungawa, Dandawa,
Zabarmawa, Dukawa, Fakkawa and Bangawa and the Fulani. These ethnic groups speak diverse languages
and dialects, with the Hausa language spoken all over the state.

now the above all groups except the Fulani, aresub-tribes of the wider Hausa ethnic group.

The distribution of these ethnic groups shows that the Gungawa are found in
Yauri local government, Kambaris in Zuru, SakabaWasagu and Yauri local government
areas, Dukawa in SakabaWasagu, Zabarmawa in Arewa, Dandi and Bunza local gov
ernment areas and Dakarkaris in Zuru local govern ment.

During the Fulani jihad, in 1808 Abdullahi dan Fodio , the younger brother of Shaihu Usman dan Fodio, defeated the forces of Kebbi. He became ruler of the Gwandu Emirate, which dominated the northeast of the Sokoto Caliphate. The Sarkin Kebbi, Muhammadu Hodi, was driven from his capital and replaced by a puppet ruler, Usuman Masa. However, the Kebbawa continued to resist, and Abdullahi was unable to complete the conquest. Muhammadu Hodi fought on in the Zamfara Valley, and his successor Karari in Argungu and Zazzagawa. On Karari's death in 1831, his son Yakubu Nabame surrendered, and for 16 years lived in exile in Sokoto until Sultan Aliyu Babba allowed him to return to Argungu as a vassal of the Caliphate.

In 1849 Yukubu renounced his allegiance and proclaimed himself Sarkin Kebbi. After see-saw battles, including at one time a siege of Argungu by Sokoto forces, Sultan Aliyu of Sokoto effectively recognized the independence of the Kebbi Emirate based in Argungu. Kebbi now formed a hostile wedge between Sokoto and Gwandu, and sporadic warfare continued for the next fifty years. In 1859 Yakubu's brother and successor Yusufu Mainasara was killed in battle in the dried out floodplain of the Rima River. In 1860 the Emir of Gwandu, Haliru, was killed in battle at Karakara. In 1867 the Fulani recognized the independence of Kebbi in a formal treaty. In 1875 war broke out again when the people of Fanna in the lower Rima valley decided to transfer their allegiance to Gwandu. Sarkin Kebbi Sama'ila achieved a string of successes against Gwandu between 1883 and 1903, with some severe setbacks, until the establishment of the British protectorate of Northern Nigeria finally ended the fighting.

Sarkin Sama had welcomed the British for political reasons, since under the British system of indirect rule he was able to regain and consolidate his power. At a durbar held in 1908 for the colonial governor Frederick Lugard, the emirs of Kebbi and Gwandu and the Sultan of Sokoto turned out in force, with a show of fifteen thousand horsemen and camels. bothe were obviously trying to compete, with the Kebbi and Gwandu against the Sokoto.

Today Kebbi-Argungu EMirate is ruled by H.R.H Saarkin Sama'ila Mohammed Mera. it is today centre of Hausa Paganism & culture, actively encouraged by the emirs and high officials itself during the annual festival of the Grand Durbar.

In the 2nd pic, H.R.H. leads a special group of horsemen in a rich and beautiful display.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
Kebbi-Argungu Durbar: Durbar involves about 500 horses, 120 camels, 1760 men and women dressed in traditional indigenous attires with resplendent colours and adornments that accentuated the rich culture of Argungu. Kings and Guards, Comedians and Commanders, Immams and Hausa Priests of the different sub-tribes took part side by side.

5 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
You are making me feel guilty bro

But I just wanted to say very nice I love this thread. The Hausa culture and people are very beautiful

3 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
Traditional Hausa Culture, songs and dances displayed in the Argungu Durbar, thankful to the patronage of H.R.H. Saarkin Sama'ila Mohammed Mera

Indigenous practices such as goldsmithing, farming, fishing, hunting, traditional religion and dancing were put on show.

4 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198: You are making me feel guilty bro

But I just wanted to say very nice I love this thread. The Hausa culture and people are very beautiful

haha why is that my brother? cheesy

yes every culture in its purest form is beautiful. (except akata culture) grin
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:48pm On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

haha why is that my brother? cheesy

yes every culture in its purest form is beautiful. (except akata culture) grin

I feel bad that the Fulani treated the Hausa this fashion in the past and I pray that one of these days there is complete peace worldwide

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
What do you think of Dr. Mamman Shata

Shata shugabama wakan hausawa
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:51pm On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

I feel bad that the Fulani treated the Hausa this fashion in the past and I pray that one of these days there is complete peace worldwide

i will never ever in my life have bad feelings to my Fulani brothers and sisters nor have i ever let such thoughts enter my mind. it is all the evil from outside that is ever trying to destroy us. we must unite to fight against it. wink

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198: What do you think of Dr. Mamman Shata

Shata shugabama wakan hausawa

wow i love his music style! ive heard a couple of his songs. it is very different and so earthy. not more about the music but the content. he is Fulani yes?

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:56pm On Aug 22, 2012
Durbar Argungu.

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
WASAN KOYO KOYO (DRAMA PLAY) Tsahara Lando

The female drummer, Tsahara Lando, started beating the drum because there was no male to carry on the family tradition, which she would not let die. A scene from the 2009 Argungu Durbar organized by Argungu Emirate Council

4 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 7:01pm On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

wow i love his music style! ive heard a couple of his songs. it is very different and so earthy. not more about the music but the content. he is Fulani yes?

That is a very good question, I think he may be ethnically Fulani, but everyone calls him a Hausa man. I just checked my "facts" his father was definitely a Fulani (Ibrahim Yaro) as we know Yaro is a Fulani name, but I don't know much about his mother. Wikipedia contradicts itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamman_Shata

I have always heard him sing in Hausa and never in Fulfulde.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 7:02pm On Aug 22, 2012
This thread puts all other recent threads to shame

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

That is a very good question, I think he may be ethnically Fulani, but everyone calls him a Hausa man. I just checked my "facts" his father was definitely a Fulani (Ibrahim Yaro) as we know Yaro is a Fulani name, but I don't know much about his mother. Wikipedia contradicts itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamman_Shata

I have always heard him sing in Hausa and never in Fulfulde.

ah i see. .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.