Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

The "REAL" Hausa - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "REAL" Hausa (158202 Views)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:03pm On Aug 31, 2012
TerraCotta:

Agreed. The word "bori" has some superficial similiarities with "ori" and "orisha" in Yoruba language. I'm not aware of any links between the practices, but it would be worthwhile for someone to try and study both. Hopefully, the armchair scholars at Nairaland won't come in to derail your thread. There's an interesting comparison between Bori, a Yoruba religious tradition from Kabba called "Aruta", Haitian Vodun and other world religions in this paper:
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~eniugh/congress2011/fileadmin/eniugh2011/dokumente/Cultural_Reconnection_in_Africa_and_Pacific_Asia.pdf

no i doubt its that. the customs and rituals are very different + we dont use kola nut and all that.

its just another Pagan Traditional Religion and all are linked.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by TerraCotta(m): 6:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
^^ That makes sense to me. I was pointing out how even neighboring groups can have words that sound alike in the same context (religion) and not have any links to each other. I don't know enough about Bori to make any claims.

Great thread/photos here.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ptolomeus(m): 9:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
The thread is excellent.
I would like to make a humble contribution, and hopefully if I'm wrong, correct me some Yoruba brother.
I understand that the word "Bori" is actually a contraction of two words "bo" = eat, or feed; and Ori = destiny.
In turn, the word Ori, in Yoruba also defines the physical head ...
As far as I've been able to observe, Hausa religion is very similar to these concepts, and surely also perform initiation in Ori, like the cult of Òrìsá.
It is a fascinating subject.
My respects dear brother PAGAN 9JA and the others siblings.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:46am On Sep 02, 2012
Ptolomeus: The thread is excellent.
I would like to make a humble contribution, and hopefully if I'm wrong, correct me some Yoruba brother.
I understand that the word "Bori" is actually a contraction of two words "bo" = eat, or feed; and Ori = destiny.
In turn, the word Ori, in Yoruba also defines the physical head ...
As far as I've been able to observe, Hausa religion is very similar to these concepts, and surely also perform initiation in Ori, like the cult of Òrìsá.
It is a fascinating subject.
My respects dear brother PAGAN 9JA and the others siblings.

i cant really say much about this because i dont know Yoruba and i have never really heard of such a connection.
also it might just be a coincidence, and initiation is a part of many Pagan traditions, be it here in Hausaland or in Papua New Guinea, or in South American Amazons.
yes it sure is fascintaing. Thank You for the incite, brother Ptolemus. cool
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ptolomeus(m): 6:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i cant really say much about this because i dont know Yoruba and i have never really heard of such a connection.
also it might just be a coincidence, and initiation is a part of many Pagan traditions, be it here in Hausaland or in Papua New Guinea, or in South American Amazons.
yes it sure is fascintaing. Thank You for the incite, brother Ptolemus. cool

Yes. Of course I believe that as a coincidence, and not at all an influence on anyone.
In fact, the physical head has great significance in various religions, and the top of the head is even more important role.
Always a pleasure to share information with you, dear brother ...
Too bad, that when opened interesting threads like this, not involving brothers of other ethnic groups ...
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 2:02am On Sep 17, 2012
Please Pagan9ja never forget your culture, although you might not like this song because you are Pagan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYcHuM9BSek&

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
^ i like it! wink \ smiley

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^ i like it! wink \ smiley

I like how it makes use of Hausa Goge (Goje) and Hausa Kalangu, very traditional song. That song is from Kano, Nigeria. Very traditional song, it is about 30 years old, so this song is older than me. It is hard to find music like this now in Nigeria due to copycatism of other cultures music.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
This reminds me of a Bori Cult music, Hausa is truly a beautiful language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8FX1P70UNQ&

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2012

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by JallowBah(f): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pagan..as much as we may disagree on many things, still, this is a very interesting post and tread you made.

My husband has told me about how hausas, fulanis, mboro people have hyenas and big monkeys with them, both on the loose, and in chains. But I have never seen pictures of people WITH them, before now.
Its..magnificent. They say that many of these groups have the ability, or the juju, to be able to talk to animals. Do you know anything about that as well?

I know that in my husbands family, they are known for talking with animals. Snakes, dogs, donkeys, monkeys, and of course; the cattle, the most important.
A friend of him had a monkey outside his house when I was in Gambia last year, guarding the house. My husband told me the monkey had only attacted ONCE in 7years, and that was against a man trying to break in.

Could you tell more about the animal aspect of this?
I have googled, but still, I dont seem to find all the information I wish to find.

And, I might add, since I have never in my life seen a hyena before my eyes, only on TV..I REALLY though they were smaller. Gad damn, they are like huge dogs, or small horses!
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:33am On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198:

I like how it makes use of Hausa Goge (Goje) and Hausa Kalangu, very traditional song. That song is from Kano, Nigeria. Very traditional song, it is about 30 years old, so this song is older than me. It is hard to find music like this now in Nigeria due to copycatism of other cultures music.

yes truly this songs are sung by older people only these days.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:36am On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198: This reminds me of a Bori Cult music, Hausa is truly a beautiful language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8FX1P70UNQ&

haha yes it does!

check out this video of famous Hausa Boori Ritualist , Taguimba of Arewa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNu62rbRQU
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:36am On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JE0-jTgTZY&

superb! cool

i love Saarkn Dankwairos' songs.

Thank you brother Fula!

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:42am On Sep 18, 2012
My Maguzawa people at the annual Wassan Shanci.

the ritualistic fight is performed exclusively by us Maguzawa today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvcUx6sta4
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:45am On Sep 18, 2012
The Wassan Shanci - Contest of Champions

"Towering throughout history like swaying Baobab trees in silent witness to the passage of history, they are the Maguzawa.." "..today they practice proudly the ritual combat of the ancestors known as the Wassan Shanci."

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:47am On Sep 18, 2012
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:47am On Sep 18, 2012

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:54am On Sep 18, 2012
SUMMARY OF HAUSA GAMES :

The Combat Games of Hausa speakers (the dominant linguistic group of Northern

Nigeria) include:

1) Dambe – a form of traditional boxing practiced by members of the butcher’s guild and increasingly by local toughs who are not guild members. In dambe

only one hand is “gloved” (i.e. bound for striking purposes), the other hand

being used to ward off blows. In some areas, both kicking and head-butting

are also permitted;

2) Farauta – hunting expeditions in which one group snatches prey from

another. In bishi, a specially convened gathering of hunters, the combatants

(armed with knives, bows and arrows, maces, clubs, and other sundry

weapons) shout their taunts and praises and engage in mock (but sometimes

real) confrontations. Feats of magic, such as the materialization of arrows

from thin air, are said to occur at these gatherings;

3) Kokawa – a form of traditional wrestling practiced mostly by farmers. Though perhaps the safest of the combat games, serious injury sometimes result – particularly when a wrestler is lifted high into the air and slammed to the

ground at the foot of a spectator. Unlike American wrestling one does not

need to pin an opponent to win. If an adversary’s head, hands or body touches

the ground he is considered defeated. There exists in Sokoto the survival of a

harsher form of wrestling in which adversaries are equipped with ringlets that

can be used to slash the back of an adversary when grabbed;

4) Shanci – a spectacular and bloody contest performed exclusively by the

Maguzawa Hausa in which gallantly arrayed adversaries each armed with two

razor sharp iron bracelets and arm-shields engage in pitched battle;

5) Tauri – a large gathering of tough-skins (‘yan tauri) who (due to their use of

traditional medicines) are supposedly impervious to being cut by metals. They

shout their praises and taunts while demonstrating their invulnerability by

drawing swords or knives across various parts of their body including the

tongue. If conducted in a remote area, these gatherings (commonly called

gangi) produce confrontations which result in serious injury and even loss of

life; and

6) Other contests – a category that includes minor combat games such as faka

(which imitates the butting of goats), kwambe (foot boxing) and wowwo

(communal mock raids), as well as

those games of courage which do not pit man against man, but rather against

nature such as: wasan wuta (testing invulnerability to burning), hawan kaho

(riding the horns of a bull), wasan kura (dangerous play with hyenas), wasan

mahaukata
(self flagellation with swords), wasan macizai (snake dodging),

and wasan kunama (permitting poisonous scorpions to roam over one’s skin).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWF_ARr91bs
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 3:04am On Sep 18, 2012
Even though it's not our first language (it's our second language) We Fulani are also Hausa speakers in Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon. Hausa is so dominant now that even many Fulani in NW Nigeria only speak Hausa.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 3:14am On Sep 18, 2012
I wish I could make a thread like this we should make one on Yan arewa (the North).
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:06pm On Sep 19, 2012
how about we make separate threads for the different Northern tribes, one after the other and post info about culture, clothing, lifestyle, trad.religion, etc. lets have the Fulani next, and not just post pictures of "beautiful Fulani" like in other threads. wink

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 4:52pm On Sep 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
how about we make separate threads for the different Northern tribes, one after the other and post info about culture, clothing, lifestyle, trad.religion, etc. lets have the Fulani next, and not just post pictures of "beautiful Fulani" like in other threads. wink

Sounds good my brother
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:33pm On Sep 28, 2012
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 8:22am On Sep 30, 2012
Yoruba may think they are master of talking drum, but they got it from the Hausa.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2012
^haha Yoruba today have perfected the art of the talking drum, especially those larger one. are you sure they got it from us? i know that we have been using Kalangu for ages. it is central part of Hausa music.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Blyss: 12:51pm On Sep 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Thank you Ptolemus! i wish you the same. you are different because you look outside selfish and generally accepted views. you see whats right and whats wrong. i respect you for that. .

grin

You support the elimination of the following of Islam for your people, in exchange for the return of your traditional native religious followings? If so, do you dare preach this movement to your fellow people?
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
Blyss:

You support the elimination of the following of Islam for your people, in exchange for the return of your traditional native religious followings? If so, do you dare preach this movement to your fellow people?

yes of course! islam will be stamped out of Hausaland by my lifetime or i die. and btw its not just Maguzawa and other Hausa sub-tribe who practice traditional customs. Many muslim infact practice, used to practice or are aware of pre-islamic Hausa traditions (not necessairly of religious nature) , such as Rawan Gane , dance, etc.. infact one of my Hausa friend, a man in his late middle ages, sometimes surprises me with all his knowledge about Hausa traditions sometimes his knowledge matches mine about this. this is because in his childhood it was all practiced, around upto the 70's or so. when it was popular and fanaticism was much less.

and contrary to popular beliefs, most 9JA Hausa muslim living abroad are very open minded on the issue of religion and generally dont have boko haram mindset. infact when the topic of Hausa traditions or religions is touched, these very muslim Hausa tend to show a profound interest and appreciation to the topic.

My Hausa people just need guidance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^haha Yoruba today have perfected the art of the talking drum, especially those larger one. are you sure they got it from us? i know that we have been using Kalangu for ages. it is central part of Hausa music.

The talking drums origins are unknown, but I can tell you right now it originated from the Sahel part of Senegal. Have you ever heard of the Artist Mamar Kassey from Niger? They have some of the best songs sung in Fulfulde, Songhai and Hausa. The guy who is Kalangu player there is a master. I wish there was a way to link their music here.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:31pm On Sep 30, 2012
^no i have not heard of him. Senegal you say>? ill have to research on that. .
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 8:40pm On Sep 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes of course! islam will be stamped out of Hausaland by my lifetime or i die. and btw its not just Maguzawa and other Hausa sub-tribe who practice traditional customs. Many muslim infact practice, used to practice or are aware of pre-islamic Hausa traditions (not necessairly of religious nature) , such as Rawan Gane , dance, etc.. infact one of my Hausa friend, a man in his late middle ages, sometimes surprises me with all his knowledge about Hausa traditions sometimes his knowledge matches mine about this. this is because in his childhood it was all practiced, around upto the 70's or so. when it was popular and fanaticism was much less.

and contrary to popular beliefs, most 9JA Hausa muslim living abroad are very open minded on the issue of religion and generally dont have boko haram mindset. infact when the topic of Hausa traditions or religions is touched, these very muslim Hausa tend to show a profound interest and appreciation to the topic.

My Hausa people just need guidance.

The thing is that many Nigerians generalize, they don't even realize that majority of Boko Haram isn't Hausa or Fulani but Kanuri. Most Southern Nigerians could care less, to them Hausa, Fulani, Touareg, Kanuri are all the same. That is pure naivety.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2012
consign 100%. i especially detest the term Hausa-Fulani. it show the ignorance of some people. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.