Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

The "REAL" Hausa - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "REAL" Hausa (158226 Views)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 11:59am On May 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Look let me clear this for you. As you know, because of missionary activity, trading, etc., some of the top brass of the Hausa were converted to islam. However, they basically refused to leave their original Hausa religion. the islam that spread initially in Africa was different from true islam as practiced in Arabia (like Wahabbism, Sunnism, etc.)> This islam was much milder and open to syncretism. it was of the sufi order. even now if you go to mosques in Senegal, etc., you will find these weird syncretised customs them practice, MARABOUTS (West Arican religious leaders who mix islam and pre-islamic trads.).

Now over time, due to increasing wealth, political stability, etc., the Hausa rulers were not really fanatic about converting others or anything. They were themselves reverting slowly to more stronger Paganism. It was getting a stronger hold over their lives. Boori Priestesses were active in the Royal courts, Festivals were displayed with full ceremony,etc.

now one of these settled Fulani living in the Hausa Empire, Shehu Dan Fudiye , was a member of the Maliki islamic school (SUNNI) which is very strict islam and fantaical and almost like wahabbism. His tutor was probably an Arab from the Berber lands (recently captures by Arabs) , by the name of Jibril bin Umar who undoubtedly was brainwashing him. Now Uthman was also personal tutor to the ruling Hausa ruler, our King Sarki Yunnfa of Gobir. Usually Kings emplyed these "learned" men to teach them language, some religion, etc. Sarki Yunfa soon started to dislike dan Fodio's fanatical islam. They had a religious argument since it was trying to undermin Hausa religion and the legitimacy of his throne, etc. dan fodio was therefore like a jesus. he was perceived as a threat to the stable Hausa Empire and People. Therefore, Sarki Yunfa started to suppress these maliki schools of islam and ban islamic stuff and kicked dan fodio out and then tried to kill him. However Dan Fodio escaped and ran away to the Fulani cattle herders who were his kin. There he probably did some preaching as well. Meanwhile, Sarki Yunfa turned for aid to the other leaders of the Hausa states, warning them that dan Fodio could trigger a widespread jihad.

Now most of the commoner Hausas and especially he villagers and farmers who made up the biggest % were Pagans.

However we lost the war because we didnt have fast moving cavalry (horses/camels), when compared to the Fulani Nomads who Dan Fodio rallied from the Sahel against us. We were mostly a settled Agricultural society. We were in a state of gradual city civilization.

Most of the Hausa rulers were either killed, or abdicated after losing the battles since they refused to be Fulanized. Even now if you noticr, Daura and Argunggu, both remnants of the real Hausa Kingdoms, still do their best to promote Hausa Cultures, and through slight undertones Hausa religion as well. Therefore today, many Hausa Pagans are found towards Argunggu and all the way upto Niger. Niger especially.
Even the ruler of Argunggu had a fight and disagreement with the Sokoto Lamido. The very Argunggu festival was created as a symbol of truce between this Hausa Kingdom and the Fulani Kingdom.

no most of the Fulani Army was Cavalry. and Fulanis only knew how to ride those animals well. Ofcourse there might have been some Hausa blacksheep here and there who got brainwashed and sided with dan Fodio., but theres no proof and it probably never happened since Hausas wouldnt really go against their own rulers. Some say that some pheasants sided with him because of taxation by the Sarkindoms, but these are all personal gains and scattered instances.

thank you , but you missed my point lol , what i was asking is if after being defeated the Hausa, joined the fulani to conquer others? i ask this because to do what they have been able to do you must have a big army (without ignoring that others west most likely less military advanced) i still believe Fulani wcouldn't do that (fulanization,colonisation) of others without external(local and already conquered) help..

Also why is that our former west invaders(english and france) gave them the power?

Do you know if the conquests in aactual nigeria and actual Cameroon were at the same time?

As for fulani , in one of your comments you said they went iN hausa land to settle , i'm very surprised ,knowing their lifestyle one doesn't expect fulani to settle or colonise someone i mean they are/were raiders ,so do you know what made them change their lifestyle?(minus teh woodabee)

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by idriis: 12:16pm On May 10, 2013
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, see my people oh! So beautiful... Nice one Pagan!
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by idriis: 1:17pm On May 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ofcourse I wil try to promote Hausa religion. This is Nigeria dude. Not Saudi Arabia. what did you expect, Ill promote islam?! LMAO! im not after 72 virgins here. 1 wife will do for now. . wink
kai! Ama kai dan iska ne fa. So...yanzu gwara Bori da adini musulunci awajenka kenan ko me??
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by rash47(m): 3:16pm On May 10, 2013
Also why is that our former west invaders(english and france) gave them the power?

Am also interested in this question mallam bamaguje, pls shade more light
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by jara: 5:41pm On May 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA,

If you still believe in what you wrote here about PAN TRIBALISM, you are still in cloud 9 waiting for another group to come and take you as slaves again. You cannot think PAN WORLD when they are thinking about taking you as slaves. Unless you think Africans have gain from globanization or whatever.

PAGAN 9JA:

umm if you are suggesting us all to breed with each other and form one AFRICAN people, just based on our SKIN COLOUR, that is RACISM and is wrong. Africa will never progress like that. that wont make us any different from the AAs or Europeans then.

No what Africa needs is "PAN TRIBALISM" with unity based on Pagan Religions. we need to maintain our separate and diverse tribes and keep them strong. and we must work with each other on this untied goal.

Its called UNITY IN DIVERSITY, not just tribals in Africa, but across the 3rd world Nations of the world.

Hausas are majority in Nigeria, but im not sure outside Nigeria.

very few Hausa have Fulani blood in them. and they are called Hausa-Fulani. and btw anyways, you were right on that point. any slight admixture will get diluted by the majority overwhelming genopool , so yeahh. wink

You are right, Women had much more freedom and power back then. infact 1 of the Hausa rulers even now is a Woman by the name of Hadizatu. in one of the smaller Chiefdoms.

I hope the status of women is elevated today. That article posted just now on frontpage about women being used as baby factory was so shocking. this is the sad state we have descended too today.

It is you people who can bring about the change. if a christain missionary can travel all the way from Sweden or from Britain to Nigeria to convert us, then why cant a Nigerian educated person travel from Abuja or Lagos to his village during the weekend or holidays and educate his own people

Im sure we can do it! cool
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:25pm On May 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

thank you , but you missed my point lol , what i was asking is if after being defeated the Hausa, joined the fulani to conquer others? i ask this because to do what they have been able to do you must have a big army (without ignoring that others west most likely less military advanced) i still believe Fulani wcouldn't do that (fulanization,colonisation) of others without external(local and already conquered) help..

Do you know if the conquests in aactual nigeria and actual Cameroon were at the same time?

As for fulani , in one of your comments you said they went iN hausa land to settle , i'm very surprised ,knowing their lifestyle one doesn't expect fulani to settle or colonise someone i mean they are/were raiders ,so do you know what made them change their lifestyle?(minus teh woodabee)

who did the Fulani conquer after that? IT all took place around the same time. Do you know how many Fulani Herders are there? There are loads. If King Abdul Aziz Al Saud could capture Saudi Arabia with only 40 bedouin herder men, you think its not possible for maybe a 1000 or more Fula herders to conquer these areas? they probably had a bit help. we dont know. but i doubt it. undecided

well since when have our former colonial invaders ever thought of much good for us. They sided with whoever was in power. However the brits did reinstate the Sarkindom of Daura. thats about the only good they did.

the settled Fula rulers by now where already gaining influence as a religious force. They were trying to shed most of their tribal roots and legitimize their claim over the newly conquered and converted lands by using religion as their rallying point of authority. Therefore Sokoto has today virtually become a Caliphate. The Fula rulers of Sokoto calls himself Sultan not LAMIDIO (which is the trad. title of a Fulani ruler).

yes it was around the same time. Modibbo Adama was Usumane Dan Fodios pupil and disciple. He was the invader of Adamawa and North Cameroon. He caused conversion and enslavement of so many local tribes and rulers. For example, Adama forcefully demanded that the king of Dullo, Bukar Djiama, swear his allegiance and convert to Islam untainted with Paganism or face death. these are the ways islam spread in these parts.

what made them change their lifestlye? newly acquired lands, titles, wealth, escape from the harsh life of the desert and religious authority/education (in the herding lifestylem one becomes less of a muslim and more of a Pagan, one cannot afford to pray 5 times a day or get religious education and learn arabic/quraan and Juju/talismans/animism etc., and all that are commonly exchanged in the Sahel), etc.

However it is to be noted that it was mostly the ruling class of the Fulani who settled. Most of the other Fuulbe mercenaries and herders returned back to the desert, to their usual way of lifestyle once the wars were over and they gained their plunder.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:27pm On May 10, 2013
*idriis*:
kai! Ama kai dan iska ne fa. So...yanzu gwara Bori da adini musulunci awajenka kenan ko me??

shege... ..Na fi son Boori fiye da musulunchi cool
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:30pm On May 10, 2013
jara: PAGAN 9JA,

If you still believe in what you wrote here about PAN TRIBALISM, you are still in cloud 9 waiting for another group to come and take you as slaves again. You cannot think PAN WORLD when they are thinking about taking you as slaves. Unless you think Africans have gain from globanization or whatever.

what slaves? I didnt say PAN WORLD. i said PAN TRIBALS. All of us tribals, be we in Indonesia or in Peru or in Papua New Guinea or in Nigeria or Namibia, we all share the same issues and problems. and We are all of Pagan heritage. we are the original peoples of this world. therefore we must come together to help each other and safeguard our cultural /political and economic interest against the bad influences from the west and other such parts of the world.

I did not talk globalisation. just tribalization.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:33pm On May 10, 2013
rash47: Thank's pagan,u 're indeed an archive on ur own. What are ur plans for the the survival of this project? Wish u the best. There are some of ur people in kaduna state too, I have met them around makarfi town and some remote villages before kano state.

May the GODS (Bori) be with you.

You are welcome. Well for now it is education and awareness. then I need to raise some funds and do some missionary work in other parts. then we will see later how far this will go so we can do greater stuff.

Kaduna? yes possible.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 10, 2013
Thanks pagan, nice input, you are indeed a man full cool of knowledge cool, now more Hausa babes
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:38pm On May 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Thanks pagan, nice input, you are indeed a man full cool of knowledge cool, now more Hausa babes

lol grin
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Thank You Kails. you are one of the few AA's / Jamos (if not the only) here who I respect because you know your place and you know ours. Let us maintain our separate identities and yet appreciate each other. I thank you again. smiley

thanks babes. smiley
the feeling is mutual dear,
im seeing you in a different light.

i think you may have been right after all. smiley
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:42pm On May 10, 2013
Hausa women preparing cotton for cloth.

Note the hairstyle.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:47pm On May 10, 2013
*Kails*:

thanks babes. smiley
the feeling is mutual dear,
im seeing you in a different light.

i think you may have been right after all. smiley

yes Thank You. you could forge your own Jamaican identity. you see? it makes you different! it gives you something to be proud of and have some self-respect.

yes one of the only reason I get piss.ed of with these Pan-Africanists (who comprise mostly of AAs) is their racsist attitude of BLACK BLACK BLACK. ok fine. that might be how they define themselves today, but why drag us into it. We are tribespeople. we hardly care for skin colour. then you have AAs who come here and try to pick any tribe they like and behave like us. then they might want to assimilate us all in the future.

Im just afraid this Pan-Africanism/Black race concept can destroy our tribes. if we all assimilate based on skin colour, this will be europe repeated here all over again.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:11pm On May 10, 2013
A Hausa mans robe.

Note: THis is not just any Agbada. What makes it Hausa is the embroidery style and colour choice.

The diagram in the 1st pic represents a the front of a typical inexpensive robe known as Mai Saki/Mai Sachi. The embroidery is of white thread on a green background.

A : Body (uwar rugu)
B.B : Sleeves
C : Pocket (aljifu)
D : Bridle (Linzami)
E : face (fuska)
F : Mumberin Riga
G : House of colour (yidda rinna)
H : Taker Up (kwashe)
I : Divided (sharaba)
J : Mumberin aljiffu
K : 5 houses (gidda biar)

The bridle D , is so-called because of its position in reference to E, the face, in whihc it sumwat resembles that of a bridle on a horse's head.

The white thread spots in G are in regular lines with the edges touching. The kwashe and the gidda rinna together form the "front drum", tambarin gabba, so called from its resemblance, as seen from above, to a drum and the cloth cord by which it is hung from the neck. There is a similar pattern about the middle of the back , and the 2 'drums' are joined together by the sha'raba, which passes over, close to the neck, and is so called ( sha raba to bear separation) because half of it is on the fron and hald on the back.
The gidda biar, five houses, is named after the 5 squares of which, with 4 subsidary ones, it is composed.
These embroidery patterns on robes are of infinite variety, according to the taste and incentiveness of the worked, but the different parts are always known by these names, except that in the more elaborate kinds, the gidda biar is supplemented or replaced by a larger and more intricate design known as the kunkungabba.
This last often covers the pocket and the whole of the top of the (wearer's) side.
The triangular pieces of embroider which forms the fuska or face, and usually part of the kunkungabba, ase called "aska" from their likeness to the blade of a razor.
The strip of lining, about a foot wide and usually coloured at the bottom of the sleeve unites with the body, chuna.

Different kinds of trousers, distinguished from each other by the cut or the pattern of the embroidery, are known respectively as wandon sachi, mai-tsina, wandon fari mai-tsina, bakin wando, balas, akintaki, mai-surfani, buje, sokoto, ba kano, adamushi, baban bango, etc.

For females: tsama, fatalan, chiawa, fatalan bunu, kujeran matar kawo, and damaran hayatu are the names of different female head-kerchiefs.
The last one was brought into fashion by Hayatu, the daughter of a former emir of Zazzau.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:19pm On May 10, 2013
Note: Her Tribal marks are those of Zazzau.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:31pm On May 10, 2013
Detachment of EMirs Police.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:31pm On May 10, 2013
wink

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:33pm On May 10, 2013
Hausa Belle

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:40pm On May 10, 2013
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:44pm On May 10, 2013
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 10, 2013
I need fresh blood, bra, cool
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:10pm On May 10, 2013
Hausa dancer at the Zazzau court.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:11pm On May 10, 2013
Durbar Festival Rawan Gane.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:12pm On May 10, 2013
A Korama Woman - Amongst women of the Hausa States of Northern Nigeria the hair is done up into a stiff ridge upon a frame of fibre, and may not be taken down again for some weeks, or even months, the erection being useful as a receptacle for coins and cowrie-shells.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:17pm On May 10, 2013
Ibrahiim Babangida's tribe is Gbgeyi/Gwarri.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:20pm On May 10, 2013
music.

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:22pm On May 10, 2013
smiley

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:24pm On May 10, 2013
from the times when women were @ the lead. and men followed behind. .

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:25pm On May 10, 2013
kakaki

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28pm On May 10, 2013
durbar

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:29pm On May 10, 2013
A form IV (SS1/10th grade) student of FGC Sokoto posing near the principal’s Office (1975).

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.