Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) (26833 Views)

What Are Your Coolest/Wackiest Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names? / The Stories Behind 15 Celebrity Stage Names / Celebrities And Their Weird Stage Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by DeJeffo: 12:16am On Aug 20, 2012
So here’s the thing about choosing a name for yourself when you decide on a career in music; you have to pick something witty like say… Royce Da 5’9, M.I, or even something Bold like Madonna, RuggedMan or Just keep it simple and stick with you real name like Omawunmi, R.Kelly, Dare, Ikechukwu etc.

Whatever you Choose sha, has to be ‘Cool’, Witty (if you’re wise like that), Unique, have a clear meaning and most importantly it has to blend with your Image as an artist (imagine if Michael Jackson called himself “Mister Shiny pants’).

Unfortunately when you’re still an up and coming act, you don’t have a team of PR/A&R people at your beck and call, ready to advise and direct your every career move.

So your options for picking a perfect Stage name may not be well advised.

Now bear In Mind I’m a huge fan of Naija Music and this List in no way is a reflection of the quality of Music they make -cos they do make Good music. So here I present to you what –In MY SUPREME opinion- are the worst Nigerian musician stage names in recent history:

10- KC PRESH

This one seems like the Laziest choice these dudes could come up with! Apparently they blended their individual names to form the one of the most characterless names ever. Even worse is how convenient it was to break apart their identities when the group split.

A good Group name is supposed to make the acts seem like one unique unit, Kinda like Destiny’s Child, Boyz II Men, Plantashun boiz, Wutang Clan etc.

9 – MODE 9

Yes! Yes! I know what you’re thinking, how dare I! Modenine is a great Lyricist, Naijas best Rapper….. blah blah blah. And you may very well be absolutely right!

But that doesn’t change the fact that this name has ridiculous origins and even worse makes no sense to the common, no-hip-hop-listening-to Nigerian on the street. What is a Mode 9? Wetin dat Wan mean? Is it some kind of Intergalactic, mystical Hardcore Puzzle that we feeble minded humans failed to unravel?

8 - ICE PRINCE

Dude is a very talented, can rap…. Can sing….. Can make Hit Music …can make silly hair styles trend etc. I admit I’m a Fan.

But I just can’t get past this name. When you put on your radio and hear a New Rapper hollering “2 CHAINZ!!” It’s no surprise when you see him in Videos and public appearances rocking two Diamond chains…abi? Or someone call himself Six Foot Plus and is actually that tall…right? Or a short dude calling himself Lil Wayne etc.

But this broda! I no Understand d guy sef! Ok obviously he’s not a Prince in the traditional sense, cos there are not that many in Naija sef, but then the ICE? I have never seen him rocking anything that can pass for Ice or Bling, or maybe he is talking about Ice Cubes …maybe He has a castle made of Ice where he is the Prince and has little droplets of ice as servants.

I once believed that he maybe had an ‘Ice-Cold Personality’ but then he started rocking skinny Jeans and that Theory went down the toilet!

A truly mind blowing Unsolved Mystery

7 - Baba Fryo

Ahhhh! This guy own dey obvious na… you don’t know? His First Son is named Fryo, so the only logical thing to do was to call himself Baba fryo…..10/10 Chikena!

And if you don’t know who Baba Fryo is, ask your Daddy!

6 - P-SQUARE

Their names are Peter and Paul, so naturally it seemed like a good Idea to call themselves P square.

However…since it’s obvious that they dodged Math class, somebody should have told them that the correct name should be P squared

In any case, that would have still been a silly name. I guess success can make anything seem cool

*I’ll end here for now and for several reasons; (A) I hate reading long articles and I don’t want to put anyone through that kind of Torture!

(B) I’m Lazy!

(C) I’m Lazy!

(D) I want to get some reader feedback before I publish the rest! ….. so wait for Part 2

[url=/p1WmnS-67]Worst Nigerian Celebrity Names[/url]

11 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Caseless: 7:18am On Aug 20, 2012
Let me add more: pastor goody-goody, father u-turn, ASA, GOLDIE, malcaholic, igho, Artquake, RASKY, baba fryo, bantu, beautiful nubia,Daddy showkey,konga. General pype? Wetin join general with pype? meaninless! Som stage name might jst kill ur career.

1 Like

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 20, 2012
LOL at P-Square dodging math. I won't be surprised sha.

Lemme go through my iTunes library.

African China (wtf)
AY.com (wtf.com)
E-Gnyte
K-Solo
Kelly Hansome (he no handsome)
Nigga Raw aka Mr Raw Nwanne
Slowdog (who calls himself slow on purpose?)
Solidstar
Storm Rex (I love this girl die sha)
Tony One Week
Vic O (lol)
Victizzle

Just to name a few.

5 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Caseless: 7:49am On Aug 20, 2012
Let me add more: pastor goody-goody, father u-turn, ASA, GOLDIE, malcaholic, igho, Artquake, RASKY, baba fryo, bantu, beautiful nubia,Daddy showkey,konga. General pype? Wetin join general with pype? Som stage name might jst kill ur career.
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Freiburger(m): 8:01am On Aug 20, 2012
ogugua88: LOL at P-Square dodging math. I won't be surprised sha.

African China (wtf)
AY.com (wtf.com)
E-Gnyte
K-Solo
Solidstar
Tony One Week
Vic O (lol)
Victizzle

Just to name a few.
lol @ Vic O.
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Caseless: 8:26am On Aug 20, 2012
@ogugua. Iceprince? Dat dude shld be living wit som penguins in scandinavian region,antartica or perm frost whr d ground thaw due 2 freezin water in it. Wat is he doin in lagos or abuja?

3 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by seedord247(m): 10:05am On Aug 20, 2012
caseless: Let me add more: pastor goody-goody, father u-turn, ASA, GOLDIE, malcaholic, igho, Artquake, RASKY, baba fryo, bantu, beautiful nubia,Daddy showkey,konga. General pype? Wetin join general with pype? Som stage name might jst kill ur career.

Asa is good name man....

3 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:13am On Aug 20, 2012
seedord247:

Asa is good name man....
u dey mind dem?
I don't agree wv almost all d mentioned names. U v got 2 bear sumtin. Either Shakira or Sikira!
FMJ!

1 Like

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by emmke(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2012
Ice Prince is from Plateau and most parts of Plateau can be as cold as ice during certain periods of the year (dec, jan) hence the "ice" in his name.

my guess

5 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 20, 2012
@ OP

My brother, you got it all wrong. The objective of any name in the entertainment business, from a branding perspective, is to CLEARLY DISTINGUISH you from other acts. And of course it should be memorable too.

Examples of very lousy names would be Swaggs, Swagga, Efizzy, etc.

Most of the names you mentioned are proper nouns and meet the criteria above.

5 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Booty4me: 10:21am On Aug 20, 2012
op you smoke weed.... this are cool sweet names if you ask me smiley
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by kayswag100(m): 10:30am On Aug 20, 2012
ehen! What of 2FACE or is it 2FACES?
Does it mean he dodged english class @ high skool too? Or does he simply mean '...my name is spelt/pronounced in pidgin english'

or does he mean 'Two-Faces' as in Hypocite?

Or even Two Baba as in '...father of two'

only times wld tell when he'd unravel d real meaning of his name!

Let me just allow 'FACE' abi na 'FAZE' im call him self rest!

...at least 'Black Face' really has a BLACK FACE'''

13 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Clemzy16(m): 10:34am On Aug 20, 2012
No wonder 9ice has changed his name to Alexander!
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 20, 2012
caseless: Let me add more: pastor goody-goody, father u-turn, ASA, GOLDIE, malcaholic, igho, Artquake, RASKY, baba fryo, bantu, beautiful nubia,Daddy showkey,konga. General pype? Wetin join general with pype? meaninless! Som stage name might jst kill ur career.
na wa 4 u o, wetin Igho do you? Thats his real name abeg so chill
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by segzicres(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2012
Vic o tho.....that guy is just LOST
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by tonyx4x44(m): 10:53am On Aug 20, 2012
your ice prince write up really got me laughing grin grin
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by constantine11: 10:56am On Aug 20, 2012

African China (wtf)
AY.com (wtf.com)
E-Gnyte
K-Solo
Solidstar
Tony One Week
Vic O (lol)
Victizzle

Just to name a few.
@Oguga; me sef like storm rex 2 pieces, left d name for her jo
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by ANYPEN(m): 10:57am On Aug 20, 2012
Most muscians that aren't with their real names as stage name will have their names sounding stupid until you can here their reasons for those names.

I think their names is a reflection of their personalities, most of these musicians are FAKE & when I say fake, I mean they don't have real principles & values that makes a strong character.

If you have strong character as a person, the first thing you do is identify, recognize & accept self & that includes your name & idealogies. This is part of what you sell in whatever you do.

But this ones look for what will sound sweet on people's tongue.... That's "fake" (you don't know self yet) & now you selling what you don't know?...... Bullshit!

I've heard Asa talked about her name & I think she's original. She picked that name when she was a child from an occurrence. I think she is an exception.

5 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by lynxpro(m): 10:59am On Aug 20, 2012
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by madeinnigeria: 10:59am On Aug 20, 2012
caseless: Let me add more: pastor goody goody, father u-turn, ASA, GOLDIE, malcaholic, igho, Artquake, RASKY, baba fryo, bantu, beautiful nubia,Daddy showkey,konga. General pype? Wetin join general with pype? meaninless! Som stage name might jst kill ur career.
hahahahahahahahahah..caseless u be case oo.. cheesy
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by jspac(m): 11:02am On Aug 20, 2012
Wizkid
Wizboy :-/ ...and how is 2chainz a good name?

1 Like

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by bknight: 11:05am On Aug 20, 2012
Ur criticisms of such stage names don't hold for me.

The one lame name I know is "AZADUS" angry dat silly dude had d liver go on tv and tell us its an acronym for: A Zealous And *blabla* Understanding Soldier undecided dat niggga plain dumb grin
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by adami48(f): 11:07am On Aug 20, 2012
Danfo drivers (mad melon n mountain black black lolsss) DURELLA KING OF D LIE LIE ZANGA, THIS R D WORST CELEBRITY NAME SO FAR

3 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by SayHello: 11:10am On Aug 20, 2012
Whn wizkid is lyk 30, wud he change d name t wizman?? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by MMM2(m): 11:16am On Aug 20, 2012
Name na name

1 Like

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Abdiny(m): 11:23am On Aug 20, 2012
Booty4me: op you smoke weed.... this are cool sweet names if you ask me smiley
you people no go fit kill person for here...hahahahaha
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by babseg(m): 11:23am On Aug 20, 2012
CRAZY CULTURE cool cool
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Series22(m): 11:25am On Aug 20, 2012
61yr old charlyboy nko?

2 Likes

Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by Dotman01(m): 11:25am On Aug 20, 2012
SayHello: Whn wizkid is lyk 30, wud he change d name t wizman?? undecided
is it cos he's a nigerian that u're saying this? Ask lil wayne the same question.
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by gegee(m): 11:34am On Aug 20, 2012
Psquare and tuface names na pidgin english na face abi faze is a mumu name
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by ikekings(m): 11:48am On Aug 20, 2012

African China (wtf)
AY.com (wtf.com)
E-Gnyte
K-Solo
Solidstar
Tony One Week
Vic O (lol)
Victizzle

Just to name a few.
Who b solidstar,victizzle nd vic o? Cos i never hear am ooo....
Re: Ten Worst Nigerian Celebrity Stage Names (Part 1) by emorse(m): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2012
SayHello: Whn wizkid is lyk 30, wud he change d name t wizman?? undecided
lololololol.
@ 50, he'll be wizpapa!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh: 'Obasanjo Is Not My Son's Grandfather, Stop The Lies' / Kays Jewelers: Yung6ix Arrested In US, Suffers Racial Profiling, To Sue / #EndSARS: Ebuka Obi-Uchendu Shares His Experience Of Police Brutality (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.