Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine (15212 Views)

Nigerian Student Of Warwick Suffers Racism (Photo) / Olaolu Femi Nigerian Student Facing Life Imprisonment In Ukraine Released / The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by AK481(m): 9:53am On Aug 20, 2012
African Outlook gathered that the Nigerian identified as Olaolu Sunkanmi Femi and one of his friends were physically attacked in front of his apartment by four Ukrainian young men and two women who pulled them to the ground while hurling racist slurs on them.

According to eye witness account, Sunkanmi was said to have managed to get up and defended himself against the assailants with a glass from a broken bottle.

"It was while he was defending himself that police arrived at the scene and the Nigerian was subsequently arrested and charged with attempted murder of five people" a Nigerian embassy staff who has knowledge of the case told African Outlook, adding that the victim thus became an accused in a case which has become a celebrated case in Ukraine.

African Outlook gathered that Olasunkanmi has since been remanded in detention by the Ukrainian police who refused to take the case to court citing unavailability of the police to get an interpreter for him.

Osarumen David-Izevbokun, a Phd student in international relations has been working tirelessly to ensure justice for the Nigerian by organizing protests as well as drawing the attentions of the human right groups in Ukraine to the plight of Olasunkanmi who has spent almost seven months in jail without trial.

David-Izevbokun told African Outlook that he alongside other Nigerian students in conjunctions with some members of the Ukrainian human right groups staged a protest on April, 9 outside the Leninsky District Court in Luhanski demanding the release of Olasunkanmi.

The actions, according to David-Izevbokun has put the Ukraine police on the spot as the case came up for hearing on May 3. "We had a lot of media coverage on the protest " David-Izevbokun said, noting that he was sure the attention given the case may have prompted the May 3 court appearance of the suspect.

David-Izevbokun who was at the May 3, court hearing told African Outlook that Olasunkanmi appeared depressed when he showed up in court.

Many other Nigerian students spoken to by African Outlook however raised concern about the competence of the female lawyer: Ludmila Havrysh handling Olasunkanmi's case.

The Ukrainian lawyer was reported to have told protesters that her client has not been able to read the file material since it is all written in Ukrainian or Russian which he doesn’t understand and that was why her client had remained in jail.

"We heard she wanted to be paid $10,000 when she had not even been able to secure bail for her client who has been in detention for more than six months" an irate Nigerian told African Outlook wondering whether the lawyer was capable of defending Olasunkanmi.

Another source also told African Outlook that one of the attackers's family who has a connection with the Ukrainian police may have been the reason why the Nigerian student was being detained without trial.

"They went to the hospital and documents were secured for infliction of wounds. I learnt that one of the supposed victim (Ukrainian) has a police relative or parent, and so vowed to deal ruthlessly with Olasunkanmi" a Nigerian student quoted one narrator as saying while lamenting that the Nigerian embassy's representative came to visit Olasunkanmi in jail once but did not return again after the first visit.

But an embassy spokesperson who pleaded anonymity (because he is not authorized to comment on the case) told African Outlook that the Nigerian consulate had not abandoned the Nigerian to his fate "We are in torch with the Ukrainian authority and we have been doing everything to ensure the boy is released unconditionally using diplomatic channel" he said, adding that the Olasunkanmi was being charged for attempted murder, an offense which under Ukrainian law is not bailable.

"There are ways in which we handle cases like this so that we would not appear to be hostile or criticizing our host countries' laws" the embassy staff said while assuring that he was confident Olasunkanmi would be released soon.

When asked if the embassy has been able to secure the service of an attorney for the Nigerian student, the embassy staff said: "It is not within our mandate to pay for attorney's fees for any Nigerian in distress, you may check this out with other Nigerian embassies abroad, but we have been working with the Nigerian community leaders here to ensure that we do everything within our means to help Olasunkanmi in time of his need" the staff added hinting that the representative of the embassy was at the May 3 hearing.

In a related development African Outlook gathered that a 28-year-old Nigerian student of Kharkiv National Radio Electronic University is in intensive care unit with knife injuries to his neck following an attack on him by people believed to be racists.

Another 19-year-old Nigerian student from the Poltava Agrarian Academy is also lying critically ill in the Ukrainian hospital following knife injury inflicted on him by yet to be identified persons.

African Outlook gathered that the two Nigerian students were attacked late in the evenings by assailants who fled the scene immediately after the attacks.

The Kharkiv Regional Prosecutor’s Office in Ukraine are treating both cases as attempted murder motivated by racial intolerance.

Speaking on the two recent attacks, the Nigerian embassy said they were yet to be briefed on the case.

"When you (African Outlook) called to inquire about the attacks, we made several calls and have confirmed it happened, but we do not have details yet, we will let you know the identities of the victims as soon as we have information on it and be rest assure we will do our best to ensure the Nigerians get justice" the embassy staff added.

Photo 4: Some of the placards carried by the protesters

African Outlook can confirm that many Africans including Nigerians have been killed in Ukraine by white supremacy gangs known as Skin heads in the past.

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4336%3Anigerian-student-languishes-in-ukrainian-jail-for-defending-self-against-racist-attacks&Itemid=672
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by AK481(m): 10:03am On Aug 20, 2012
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by adigunomomama(m): 10:29am On Aug 20, 2012
Holy shit, so pathetic

Don't knw what u guys A̶̲̥̅̊яε̲̣̣̣̥ a finding in this bleeping Racist Country. I pray you survived this Ola, May Almighty Allah Be with you

So so sad ryt nw!
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by AK481(m): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2012
Front page pls,mod!!!!!
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by esere826: 3:13pm On Aug 20, 2012
Where is the Nigerian Ambassador/ consulate to Ukraine in all this?

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by CLIQBOY(m): 3:14pm On Aug 20, 2012
Måd country..cant dey use google translate to translate

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 20, 2012
And the white men are getting all the juicy oil contracts here.

5 Likes

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Bella3(f): 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2012
wetin them they find for racist ukraine? Anyway, God help them!

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by yomz1e(m): 3:19pm On Aug 20, 2012
Ukraine is one of the most racist country in the world. I used to stay in the UK, when the Eurocup was on, they were told not to chant racist remarks against any black players! why any black person would want to stay in that country is beyond me. I pray they survive this, we do not have any diplomatic ties with this country so forget the Foreign embassy doing anything
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 20, 2012
what exactly is in ukraine ? black people and their quest for wealth sha. as we speak i am sure some nigerians are running into libya from nigeria where it is reported that blacks are being killed. anyway its all scriptural

habbakuk 2 vs 13[b] Behold, is it not of the LORD of hosts that the people shall labour in the very fire, and the people shall weary themselves for very vanity?[/b]
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by 2mch(m): 3:22pm On Aug 20, 2012
Well Nigerian's should make sure to organize rally's and protest in front of Ukranian embassies around the world. Expose the government for their racist nature and attitude towards Africans. This has to stop. We dont do the same to them in Nigeria. This is some bullshit. The boy should be released ASAP, and given compensation and even citizenship sef. He needs a good lawyer. Kudo's to him for defending himself.

2 Likes

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by proudlyafrican(m): 3:24pm On Aug 20, 2012
This is a very sad news,hope the Nigerian Government will come to his aid.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by 2mch(m): 3:24pm On Aug 20, 2012
I must also say the guy is brilliant for refusing to sign or go to any trial where he cannot understand the language. Africans should move in packs in that country and be ready to defend their lives. This is tragic. Nigerian government can put pressure on Russia. Since Russia has some relationship with Ukraine. Russia is kuku involved with Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Skipfr(m): 3:26pm On Aug 20, 2012
so pathetic. I pray the almighty God help u out of this mess.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 20, 2012
2mch: I must also say the guy is brilliant for refusing to sign or go to any trial where he cannot understand the language. Africans should move in packs in that country and be ready to defend their lives. This is tragic. They can put pressure on Russia. Since Russia has some relationship with Ukraine. Russia is kuku involved with Nigeria.
move in packs ? what kinda life is that ? how about they leave the country ?

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Blackteeth(m): 3:40pm On Aug 20, 2012
The consequences of finding shortcut greener pastures rather than working together to help Nigeria our country.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Willzkid(m): 3:42pm On Aug 20, 2012
Billyonaire: And the white men are getting all the juicy oil contracts here.
tel dat 2 madam DAM..
good 2 knw u r nt totally irredeemable
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by chuckdee4(m): 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2012
Billyonaire: And the white men are getting all the juicy oil contracts here.

Eaxctly, very sad how the black man cannot treat his kind with respect

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Mrchippychappy(m): 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2012
There's something fishy about this story . Are we even sure this Olaolu guy wasn't involved in some illicit activities over there in Ukraine?
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by DExplorer1: 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2012
This guy has been in jail for over six months and no sign of release but promises, i sincerely do hope he survives this situation because the chances are really slim.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 20, 2012
This is just one case among many. I hope Nigerians can rally round support against this injustice.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by 190: 3:50pm On Aug 20, 2012
2mch: I must also say the guy is brilliant for refusing to sign or go to any trial where he cannot understand the language. Africans should move in packs in that country and be ready to defend their lives. This is tragic. Nigerian government can put pressure on Russia. Since Russia has some relationship with Ukraine. Russia is kuku involved with Nigeria.

ROTFL

They should move in parks

are they wolves or are they haunting!!
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by BaBaMike: 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2012
2mch: Well Nigerian's should make sure to organize rally's and protest in front of Ukranian embassies around the world. Expose the government for their racist nature and attitude towards Africans. This has to stop. We dont do the same to them in Nigeria. This is some bullshit. The boy should be released ASAP, and given compensation He needs a good lawyer. Kudo's to him for defending himself.

Well said man
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by 2mch(m): 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2012
190:

ROTFL

They should move in parks

are they wolves or are they haunting!!

obadiah777: move in packs ? what kinda life is that ? how about they leave the country ?

Do you think the fact that you are now able to live in UK was just because the british government allowed you? You think if the people before you gave up and ran home, you will be able to reach there without being put in chains? You think people didnt fight for their right to be able to live freely? So every student in Ukraine should run away.

2 Likes

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Fiawest(m): 4:02pm On Aug 20, 2012
I will nt blame u going to Ukraine to study,but u erred by finding ursef in a trouble's spot....u should have remember u are a foreigner...that will guide how you walk and fellowship...I can imagine hw life will be for u I pray God to intervene.Ola,look it this way,an Ukranian came to ur area in Nigeria and 'threaten'u wit a broken bottle...wot will be ur reaction?
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by otokx(m): 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2012
What Education can someone possibly get from Ukraine or did he go there to study Ukrainian?
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Richardid: 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2012
Ukraine is well known as a racist country,despite this fact ,nigerians still throng to this country in seach of greener pastures and for further education. its time nigerians should begin to look elsewhere elsewhere .
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by blasterman(m): 4:23pm On Aug 20, 2012
This is normaL for naija guys in Eastern Europe to be carrying weapns like broken bottle in bags or knife because u can be ATTACKED at any time at the bus or train stop. One of my guy told me he was in a resturant once when one girl told him to stand up so she can sit down. My guy refuse b4 u know about 4 or 5 guys came out to attack this guy. if not 4 jack knife that he carried they for done beat palasa from him body. Not all places are welcoming to you as a black guy and sometimes what looks glittering from afar my be hellish inside.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by AK481(m): 4:24pm On Aug 20, 2012
Bélla3: wetin them they find for racist ukraine? Anyway, God help them!

Oboy!,na u dey talk this tin?,e be like say admission no hook you for throat.
Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 20, 2012
2mch:

Do you think the fact that you are now able to live in UK was just because the british government allowed you? You think if the people before you gave up and ran home, you will be able to reach there without being put in chains? You think people didnt fight for their right to be able to live freely? So every student in Ukraine should run away.
ermmmm duhhhhh. the UK actually went to africa and the carribean to beg their subjects to come fight for them in the 1st and second world war. and then after the war in the fifties they begged every african and every carribean to move to their country because all the men were killed in the war and they needed the workforce. plus britain colonized us so we have every right to colonize them back. so its a different situation.

now ukraine on the other hand ? they dont owe you nothing. those black ppl who are their are just scavengers. they have not committed any atrocity against black people or begged you to come to their country. they did not colonize you. FRANKLY YOU HAVE NO REASON TO BE THERE

2 Likes

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by 2mch(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2012
obadiah777: ermmmm duhhhhh. the UK actually went to africa and the carribean to beg their subjects to come fight for them in the 1st and second world war. and then after the war in the fifties they begged every african and every carribean to move to their country because all the men were killed in the war and they needed the workforce. plus britain colonized us so we have every right to colonize them back. so its a different situation.

now ukraine on the other hand ? they dont owe you nothing. those black ppl who are their are just scavengers. they have not committed any atrocity against black people or begged you to come to their country. they did not colonize you. FRANKLY YOU HAVE NO REASON TO BE THERE

You definitely dont know what you are saying. My father schooled in England in the Late 50's early 60's. The amount of racism they faced? They will tell you the horrors they went through just so that people like you can have mouth today. I even know friends whose parents were arrested in America for defending themselves. Stop typing things you are ignorant of. The fact that they used you for wars counts for nothing. You belonged to them. You were their property. It is either you go willingly or are forced. Stop making up stories.

1 Like

Re: Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2012
2mch:

You definitely dont know what you are saying. My father schooled in England in the Late 50's early 60's. The amount of racism they faced? I even know friends whose parents were arrested in America for defending themselves. Stop typing things you are ignorant of. The fact that they used you for wars counts for nothing. You belonged to them. You were their property. It is either you go willingly or are forced. Stop making up stories.
they may have faced racism in the 50s or 60s but they were invited by the UK govt. remember the windrush ? like tens of thousands of carribeans and africans coming into britain at once in the fifties and sixties. this was a parliamentary decision in the UK to invite the blacks to the workforce. so while there may have been a little resistance on the path of the citizens, the sheer numbers of the carribeans and africans was such that they couldnt do nothing. now those guys in ukraine ? i doubt if their is up to 1000 of them. thats just a suicidal mission. personally i think it is irresponsible to put yourself where you are vehemently not wanted.

oh and may i add, my parents lived in britain in the sixties for 13 years. they were part of the invited ones from africa. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Two Nairalanders Sign & Log Out As Health Educators; Bsc (ed). / Where Can One Report Sexual Harassment From Lecturers? / Yakubu Dogara Appointed Chancellor Of Achievers University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.