Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office (8761 Views)

EFCC: For 4yrs After Leaving Office As Gov, Saraki Received Monthly Salaries.. / GEJ Makes His First Public Outing Since Leaving Office (Photos) / Shema Is The Only Governor That Will Be Leaving Office Without Debt – Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by billante(m): 10:11am On Aug 22, 2012
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has assured the people of the state that he will invest N25 billion of the state’s funds in equities before leaving office in 2014.

Obi gave the assurance on Tuesday while inaugurating the newly-constructed traditional rulers’ council offices in Awka, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

He said that investing the state’s funds in companies would help to sustain the current healthy financial status of the state.

Obi said his desire to save funds and invest in profitable companies was meant to reposition the state effectively toward meeting its development needs.

He urged the people to unite and shun all acts capable of generating dispute that could return the state to its former and jettisoned pariah status.

“We have to develop the state, but everybody has to make his own sacrifice; we are not lacking money.

“I have mandated all the commissioners to move out and do their jobs extremely well.

“Anambra is now business and does no longer want a government that will be distracted by trouble makers.

“It is a state which we are developing. Before I leave office, my target is to have N25 billion state funds invested in companies,” he said.

The governor said he had already invested N4 billion in Orient Petroleum which would be inaugurated by Jonathan on August 30.

“This is as a result of the prudent pattern of spending money which we adopted over the years,’’ he said.

He added that 60 million dollars of the state fund had been invested in SabMiller Brewery at Onitsha and would be inaugurated by the president.

In a vote of thanks, the Chairman of Anambra Traditional Rulers Council and Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Achebe, commended the governor for his development strides.

Achebe assured Obi that members of the council would support his candidate for the 2014 governorship election.

The occasion was graced by the state commissioners, women leaders and town union presidents-general, among others.

www.punchng.com/news/anambra-to-invest-n25bn-in-equities/
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by billante(m): 10:17am On Aug 22, 2012
Wise decision or not?...umu anambra let the comments start coming
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by billante(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2012
I think d gov is piling money for d next gov to work with and take all the glory! He invested 60million dollars in sabmiller breweries which was built with 100m dollars! Dat means anambra own 60% of the brewery! Oil money will also start rolling in from orient oli block and refinary! And he still want to invest N25 billion more.. I think dis is d kind of polices dat will make a state not to depend on federal allocation! Makinhg it self sufficient.

4 Likes

Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 22, 2012
Anambra is working! Thumbs up 2 my governor, d man is working really hard and 2 think is his 2nd term.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 22, 2012
And how much has he invested in infrastructure?

2 Likes

Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by oneeast: 11:27am On Aug 22, 2012
Anambra is the new phase of economic development. Good job
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by asha80(m): 12:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
it is good only if the equities do not collapse.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by billante(m): 12:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
asha 80: it is good only if the equities do not collapse.

I don't think equities on breweries or oil will ever collapse! Ask nigeria breweries or chevron!
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by kasiem(m): 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
This man is really futuristic
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by chino24: 3:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
billante:

I don't think equities on breweries or oil will ever collapse! Ask nigeria breweries or chevron!

Right on point.

Besides don't bother schooling these detractors and de-railers, they do not deserve it more especially when they know the reality.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by deshclones(m): 3:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
chino24:

Right on point.

Besides don't bother schooling these detractors and de-railers, they do not deserve it more especially when they know the reality.

Chino...abeg thank ada[b]obi[/b] for me...heard construction has started on my village road...kudos...but the man should in the name of God develop the state capital Awka...that place is a shame to every well traveled anambrarian...he should forgive awka people for dumping him during the last election and develop the capital...properties are not even appreciating...its a shame that plot of land at esther obiako is a mere 2-3m,even udoka estate,the banana island of awka is btwn 8-10m..the only thriving business there is hotel biz,..while the only guys there are civil servants,bankers and lecturers...make ada[b]obi[/b] develop awka nah... undecided undecided undecided
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Sealeddeal(m): 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
deshclones:

Chino...abeg thank ada[b]obi[/b] for me...heard construction has started on my village road...kudos...but the man should in the name of God develop the state capital Awka...that place is a shame to every well traveled anambrarian...he should forgive awka people for dumping him during the last election and develop the capital...properties are not even appreciating...its a shame that plot of land at esther obiako is a mere 2-3m,even udoka estate,the banana island of awka is btwn 8-10m..the only thriving business there is hotel biz,..while the only guys there are civil servants,bankers and lecturers...make ada[b]obi[/b] develop awka nah... undecided undecided undecided
....Awka will develp itself.Or do you want awka to get developed while some parts of anambra dat neva had road since the creation of earth remain that way?My guy,Peter Obi will neva complete al the project anambra need alone.Govt will continue and before long,Anambra will be fine.if Obi succeed in putting other parts of in order,the next gov will start frm others which may include awka.And beside,Obi is doing sth in awka and onitsha.So for ur information,Obi is a great gov.

1 Like

Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by asha80(m): 3:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
deshclones:

don't you think development should not be concetrated in the capital of a state?what about other towns and villages?there are human beings living there.i do not believe in cosmetic development.

1 Like

Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
I can only help to grow the Brewery business through in-route market penetration if given the opportunity. The only thing to do is to define the sales territory, engage some van sales reps, open up bids for large scale distributors and sub-distributors and constant marketing of the brands. I am an Anambranian and this is my contribution to the development of the state. With this points, the likes of Nigeria Breweries, Guinness etc would stay away and compete in states like Lagos and PH.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by manny4life(m): 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
As for me good move but I have mixed feeling about this, I'm a lil reserved when it comes to govt to private equity investment. Private investment is definitely not what Anambra needs at the "short nor long term", this shouldn't be their vision. This does not create any "directly or indirectly benefit to the people.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by mallorca(m): 4:23pm On Aug 22, 2012
Keneking: I can only help to grow the Brewery business through in-route market penetration if given the opportunity. The only thing to do is to define the sales territory, engage some van sales reps, open up bids for large scale distributors and sub-distributors and constant marketing of the brands. I am an Anambranian and this is my contribution to the development of the state. With this points, the likes of Nigeria Breweries, Guinness etc would stay away and compete in states like Lagos and PH.
very on point,onye Anambra ibem grin grin
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
Just N25b ? How much is Anambra's monthly Allocation from the Feds and How is their monthly IGR ?
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Emperoh(m): 4:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
Good move but i am not sure these should be the state's main priorities.
These monies could be used to put in place infrastructures that will stimulate the growth of SMEs and other investments.
Moreso, if going by what i read above, that Anambra has up to 60 percent stake in Sabmiller, then we should gear up for another set
of government owner industries that failed. Remember Nkalagu Cement Company? Ikenga Hotels, AVOP etc/

Govt can't manage investment in private equities and not when they are in control.
Max we should invest in any venture is 25 percent.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by kasiem(m): 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
Billyonaire: Just N25b ? How much is Anambra's monthly Allocation from the Feds and How is their monthly IGR ?
is it better to embezzle it?
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by asha80(m): 4:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
manny4life: As for me good move but I have mixed feeling about this, I'm a lil reserved when it comes to govt to private equity investment. Private investment is definitely not what Anambra needs at the "short nor long term", this shouldn't be their vision. This does not create any "directly or indirectly benefit to the people.
depends on who becomes the next governor and his plans for the state.the next governor is very much likely to have more money to spend on infrastructure and the likes than the present governor ever had throughout his tenure which in turn benefit the citizens.you live in a clime where goverments plan for the future so you should know better.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by asha80(m): 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2012
Emperoh: Good move but i am not sure these should be the state's main priorities.
These monies could be used to put in place infrastructures that will stimulate the growth of SMEs and other investments.
Moreso, if going by what i read above, that Anambra has up to 60 percent stake in Sabmiller, then we should gear up for another set
of government owner industries that failed. Remember Nkalagu Cement Company? Ikenga Hotels, AVOP etc/

Govt can't manage investment in private equities and not when they are in control.
Max we should invest in any venture is 25 percent.
i do not think sabmiller is govt owned.moreover there is a difference btw govt owning and govt actually running a business.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by MMM2(m): 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
Good
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by deshclones(m): 4:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Billyonaire: Just N25b ? How much is Anambra's monthly Allocation from the Feds and How is their monthly IGR ?

kasiem: is it better to embezzle it?

^^^^^^ good answer to the billy man
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by cjfavour(m): 4:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
kasiem: This man is really futuristic
Really? Is he? How much did delta spent to build their airport?Is it up to N17B? Why dnt he spend a fraction of this amount to build even a local airport dt will be yielding money for d state? Do u know why i voted for him in his first tenure?bcs he promised us an airport.Where is it today?Mirage!!! Now he's talking about equity dt have high risk.Is there no other project he can build than buying equities and shares? What type of futuristic plan does he have dt he cant see dt anambra with d biggest market in west africa needs an airport,seaport and when d feds finish d seaport dt to start a shiping line is far better than buying shares dt if care is nt taking will loose its value? Go to onitsha,is there any govt presence there? Do u know how much awada generates for d state bt there is no tarred road there? What of Nnewi?Let me nt talk of awka. Bros PO is myopic and a miser.Why didnt he build d super market he built at abuja here in anambra? Well,he have a strong propaganda machine which he uses to brain wash ur likes. Have he employed a single graduate since he became d gov of anambra? Ponder and reply.If u insult me,i'll ignore u and ur likes.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by deshclones(m): 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
cjfavour: Really? Is he? How much did delta spent to build their airport?Is it up to N17B? Why dnt he spend a fraction of this amount to build even a local airport dt will be yielding money for d state? Do u know why i voted for him in his first tenure?bcs he promised us an airport.Where is it today?Mirage!!! Now he's talking about equity dt have high risk.Is there no other project he can build than buying equities and shares? What type of futuristic plan does he have dt he cant see dt anambra with d biggest market in west africa needs an airport,seaport and when d feds finish d seaport dt to start a shiping line is far better than buying shares dt if care is nt taking will loose its value? Go to onitsha,is there any govt presence there? Do u know how much awada generates for d state bt there is no tarred road there? What of Nnewi?Let me nt talk of awka. Bros PO is myopic and a miser.Why didnt he build d super market he built at abuja here in anambra? Well,he have a strong propaganda machine which he uses to brain wash ur likes. Have he employed a single graduate since he became d gov of anambra? Ponder and reply.If u insult me,i'll ignore u and ur likes.

Dude get real...what are we doing with an airport for now??when we have the asaba and enugu plus imo airports?for your info those ones i mentioned are grossly under used..on the issue of employment,i have 4 cousins that were employed by the ANSG.....ada[b]obi[/b] is slow no doubt but he is surely taking us to great heights...am just peeved at him for his utter neglect of awka..the state capital looks like some village square....i was told he is doing it on purpose becos awka guys didnt vote for him in the last election....i think its wrong for a leader to be vindictive,you need to go to his local govt area and agulu to see what he has done..tarred roads everywhere..even the agulu obeledu road is now tarred...he should give awka a befitting facelift,same way he has turned parts of osha and nnewi around....
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Philolos: 5:23pm On Aug 22, 2012
I’m not sure if this is a wise decision or not. Investing tax payers’ funds or state money in equities sounds like gambling to me. How, where and when would we consider investing as individuals? How would we spend our own money? As we know, it is very easy to spend other people’s money. That’s why business sense suggests borrowing money, if you can, to start a business. I see Sabmiller Breweries found a bank in Anambra Governor/government. If you are rational, I would think you will first put your house in order and also save up before investing in equities. It doesn’t appear to me that the State of Anambra is in order considering the lack of energy, good infrastructure, education, etc. While on the surface we are being told he invested $60 million dollars in Sabmiller Breweries who is aware of what other shenanigans are involved? Sixty million dollars is not chicken change. Who thinks this is a good investment? Who has seen Sabmiller’s business plan and financial report? Mr Governor, I too have a business you can invest in as an Angel investor. No wonder people say there is money in Nigeria. Wow how dumb. If Anambra has that much money to gamble, perhaps there should be full employment for all the local graduates, and residents of other states should be fighting to relocate to Anambra. But I doubt this is the case on ground.

I also read some comments saying this or that business can never collapse. Obviously such comments are not from students of business and finance. My friends just in case you don’t know, some appeared-to-be legitimate businesses are created to siphon or steal money. Do not be fooled. Always follow the money…
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
cjfavour: Really? Is he? How much did delta spent to build their airport?Is it up to N17B? Why dnt he spend a fraction of this amount to build even a local airport dt will be yielding money for d state? Do u know why i voted for him in his first tenure?bcs he promised us an airport.Where is it today?Mirage!!! Now he's talking about equity dt have high risk.Is there no other project he can build than buying equities and shares? What type of futuristic plan does he have dt he cant see dt anambra with d biggest market in west africa needs an airport,seaport and when d feds finish d seaport dt to start a shiping line is far better than buying shares dt if care is nt taking will loose its value? Go to onitsha,is there any govt presence there? Do u know how much awada generates for d state bt there is no tarred road there? What of Nnewi?Let me nt talk of awka. Bros PO is myopic and a miser.Why didnt he build d super market he built at abuja here in anambra? Well,he have a strong propaganda machine which he uses to brain wash ur likes. Have he employed a single graduate since he became d gov of anambra? Ponder and reply.If u insult me,i'll ignore u and ur likes.
i strongly agree with you....on th part of airport, anambra state will never build an airport. not when most anambrarians are into transport business. it's like barnning motorcycle in the state.
what pains me most is the nonchallant attitude f the governor concerning the state university. students paying N130000, for what? SMH

1 Like

Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by kenbee(f): 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
I always believe in this man's long term plans, though we also need some sustainable short term projects like roads. He can use this fund in visible short term projects that will even fetch him more glory but that isn't his priority.
Gov Peter Obi remains the Most Futuristic Nigerian Governor.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by doctokwus: 5:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
Rubbish,propaganda machine @work.This man is nothing but an internet govnor,let him vacate office,dats wen pple will come to realise d harm Peter Obi has done to d state& how much he has siphoned in d name of phantom projects& investments.Equity my foot!
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by kasiem(m): 5:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
splendidb20:
i strongly agree with you....on th part of airport, anambra state will never build an airport. not when most anambrarians are into transport business. it's like barnning motorcycle in the state.
what pains me most is the nonchallant attitude f the governor concerning the state university. students paying N130000, for what?
SMH
which student is paying #130000? What do u want to gain with this lie?
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by manny4life(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2012
asha 80: depends on who becomes the next governor and his plans for the state.the next governor is very much likely to have more money to spend on infrastructure and the likes than the present governor ever had throughout his tenure which in turn benefit the citizens.you live in a clime where goverments plan for the future so you should know better.

Have money to spend on infrastructures? From where? I know better that govt don't invest in long term investments of private firms. If Anambra's equity CANNOT be fully liquidated in a year, then ... you know the answer.
Re: Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office by asha80(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2012
manny4life:

Have money to spend on infrastructures? From where? I know better that govt don't invest in long term investments of private firms. If Anambra's equity CANNOT be fully liquidated in a year, then ... you know the answer.
well you might be right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Genuine Reasons South-south May Shut Down Nigeria If GEJ Loses. / BREAKING NEWS! Sen.bukola Saraki Has Finally Stepped Down / Dan-musa Steps Down For Olawepo-hashim In Race For ANN Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.