Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Why do some single ladies marry married men? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why do some single ladies marry married men? (3523 Views)

Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma' / Married Men And Women: Is It A Must You Take Dinner With Your Spouses? / Why Do Men Take Advantage Of Advanced Single Ladies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 3:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
why on earth do some women (single ladies) marry somebody who has married before,thereby becoming 2nd,3rd,4th or even 5th wife. I'm not talking about widow marrying widower or divorcee marrying another divorcee, i'm talking about those who know that d man has wife(ves) and still go ahead tio marry d man, only to be complaining about d man or d marriage later, what do you think is actually wrong with this set of women? No insult meant, i'm just somehow curious about it.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
greatgod2012: why on earth do some women marry somebody who has married before,thereby becoming 2nd,3rd,4th or even 5th wife. I'm not talking about widow marrying widower or divorcee marrying another divorcee, i'm talking about those who know that d man has wife(ves) and still go ahead tio marry d man, only to be complaining about d man or d marriage later, what do you think is actually wrong with this set of women? No insult meant, i'm just somehow curious about it.
Not as if most of them wanted it, buh they do go ahead and marry such men all because of money and material things.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
It all boils down to low self-esteem. And it happens with men who marry for money, or some other form of security.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 22, 2012
Kobojunkie: It all boils down to low self-esteem. And it happens with men who marry for money, or some other form of security.
I no gree smiley
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 4:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
kunletiwoo: Not as if most of them wanted it, buh they do go ahead and marry such men all because of money and material things.

i agree with u partially,why partially, u may ask,because i've seen someone who is somehow comfortable but still went ahead to become 3rd wife, i could not confront her to ask why but just wondering why she did it.
On another thought, someone said she did it because of d fame of d man,not because of d money because she seems to be wealthier than d man,but not famous,so, she married d man to earn fame
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
greatgod2012:

i agree with u partially,why partially, u may ask,because i've seen someone who is somehow comfortable but still went ahead to become 3rd wife, i could not confront her to ask why but just wondering why she did it.
On another thought, someone said she did it because of d fame of d man,not because of d money because she seems to be wealthier than d man,but not famous,so, she married d man to earn fame
Now it depends on individual. Depending on the things they stand to get in return.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by dayokanu(m): 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2012
It depends on the culture you were brought up in and your religion.

200yrs ago It was no big deal actually it was my own Grandmom who went to pick the second wife for my grandfather.. Some cultures dont frown at it

Also in some religion its a norm. E.g islam, mormon etc

So i wont say its self esteem of whatever it depends on the culture you are brought up in and in most cases the culture determine your outlook to life
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu: It depends on the culture you were brought up in and your religion.

200yrs ago It was no big deal actually it was my own Grandmom who went to pick the second wife for my grandfather.. Some cultures dont frown at it

So i wont say its self esteem of whatever it depends on the culture you are brought up in and in most cases the culture determine your outlook to life

I disagree because in many of those same cultures we see today that it was never really the case that the women were "accepting" of being 1 out of so many wives. It was more the case that they felt helpless and some felt that by at least having some control over who gets to come in as next wife, it makes it 'easier' for them to handle. I have a friend whose mother helped her husband pick the second wife but till the day she died, I think she resented ever having a hand in that. And the man, you could tell was not happy with what happened even though it was in the name of tradition. Even her kids hated that there father took a second wife, and they don't hide that fact. E

Having things such as culture, religion determine your outlook in life does not remove the possibility that low-self esteem results. If all you are in a particular religion is property, then you will reduce yourself and your outlook to that of a mere property. That is serious low self-esteem.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by ronkebp(f): 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2012

yeah!!! my grandmom did the same.....
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by SisiKill1: 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
kunletiwoo: I no gree smiley
Of course you no go gree, after all this is woman bashing thread. . .there is no place for spotlighting men's shortcomings.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 22, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Of course you no go gree, after all this is woman bashing thread. . .there is no place for spotlighting men's shortcomings.
B4 nko? wink
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by SisiKill1: 6:50pm On Aug 22, 2012
kunletiwoo: B4 nko? wink
Impreeeeeeeesed!!!!

If to say it is some other guys, we won't mention their names before they use bulala on us, they will be denying their chauvinism like the rest of us are blind but you. . .you just embrace yours mind body and soul!!

I like that! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 6:54pm On Aug 22, 2012

200yrs ago It was no big deal actually it was my own Grandmom who went to pick the second wife for my grandfather

at least,it was ur grandma dt went to pick d 2nd wife and not d other way round, why did d 2nd wife agree to d deal? .. Some cultures dont frown at it

Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 6:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
@ dayo and ronke, at least, it was ur grandma dt went to pick d 2nd wife and not d other way round, so d question is, why did d 2nd wife(s) agree with d deal?
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by coogar: 7:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
greatgod2012: why on earth do some women marry somebody who has married before,thereby becoming 2nd,3rd,4th or even 5th wife. I'm not talking about widow marrying widower or divorcee marrying another divorcee, i'm talking about those who know that d man has wife(ves) and still go ahead tio marry d man, only to be complaining about d man or d marriage later, what do you think is actually wrong with this set of women? No insult meant, i'm just somehow curious about it.

it's the society pressure coupled with lack of self esteem!
as a woman grows older(especially after crossing age 30...), she's almost down to marry anything that passes by. can you blame them? the nigerian society frowns at single women no matter how successful she might be - i don't know how a woman would leave her father's house to cause chaos for another woman happily married to her husband! the funniest thing is wife number 2 gets jealous when the husband brings wife number 3 home!

you just have to salute our african women - they just love to eat their cake, have it and still keep some in their bra(for future use)!!!
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 7:10pm On Aug 22, 2012
coogar:
you just have to salute our african women - [size=13pt]they just love to eat their cake, have it and still keep some in their bra(for future use)![/size]!!

Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 7:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
coogar:

it's the society pressure coupled with lack of self esteem!
as a woman grows older(especially after crossing age 30...), she's almost down to marry anything that passes by. can you blame them? the nigerian society frowns at single women no matter how successful she might be - i don't know how a woman would leave her father's house to cause chaos for another woman happily married to her husband! the funniest thing is wife number 2 gets jealous when the husband brings wife number 3 home!

you just have to salute our african women - they just love to eat their cake, have it and still keep some in their bra(for future use)!!!

well said, d truth is dt d 2nd or 3rd or... are usuall d ones dt cause chaos in d house/family, thank u
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 23, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Impreeeeeeeesed!!!!

If to say it is some other guys, we won't mention their names before they use bulala on us, they will be denying their chauvinism like the rest of us are blind but you. . .you just embrace yours mind body and soul!!

I like that! cheesy cheesy
lol...Na so naw! cheesy
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by emilyone(f): 11:28am On Aug 23, 2012
i think the society is to be blame for this.
the society will never give you the respect you deserve if you are matured and living single, i know of a man in my neighbourhood who just got married to his 11th wive, the irony of it all is that each woman takes care of her kid(s)
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 11:49am On Aug 23, 2012
emilyone: i think the society is to be blame for this.
the society will never give you the respect you deserve if you are matured and living single, i know of a man in my neighbourhood who just got married to his 11th wive, the irony of it all is that each woman takes care of her kid(s)

I don't it is fair to blame it all on society. The society is made up of men and women, and it takes men and women deciding they will not allow the status quo continue, to change society. Definitely it will not happen overnight but it has to start somewhere and that could easily be from women refusing to bow to peer pressure and refusing to make items of themselves.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 3:01pm On Aug 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I don't it is fair to blame it all on society. The society is made up of men and women, and it takes men and women deciding they will not allow the status quo continue, to change society. Definitely it will not happen overnight but it has to start somewhere and that could easily be from women refusing to bow to peer pressure and refusing to make items of themselves.

yeah, u're right, we all know what we want in life andi think we shouldn't allow pressre from anybody to make us bow to low self esteem.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by coogar: 3:03pm On Aug 23, 2012
greatgod2012:
yeah, u're right, we all know what we want in life andi think we shouldn't allow pressre from anybody to make us bow to low self esteem.

sometimes, when what we want is delayed, we become vulnerable to what the society dictates.
we are all humans.....and everyone has a price!
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Aug 23, 2012
coogar:

sometimes, when what we want is delayed, we become vulnerable to what the society dictates.
we are all humans.....and everyone has a price!

Then is society really at fault?
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by coogar: 6:15pm On Aug 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Then is society really at fault?

the society is 100% responsible for this.......i have been told some parents give their daughters deadlines to get a husband -- otherwise, move out of the house!
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 24, 2012
This thing u folks are talkin bout has almost happened to me.there was a fateful sunday like dat when i was in church listening to d word of God,an usher gave me a little pice of note pointing @ d direction where d note was comin from,d man eventually identified himself sayin he was d one dat wrote d note.d note went like dis,'hey cutie.av been watchin u for quitw som tym in dis church,ill like u to spare me 1o mins of ur tym afta church,i av somtin very important i want to discuss wit u'. In my mind i was like shey eleyi gbadun sha (is dis one ok)anyway afta church service,d man came to meet me where i was sittin and exchanged greetins wit me n said i av a marriage proposal 4 u on behalf of my younger broda.actually his marriage is 1o yrs old but he doesnt av kids yet and dia mother is fast loosing her patience because she said she wants to see all her grand kids from all her children bfor she dies and i see u as a hot blooded sexy girl,trust me my broda is goin to take care of u,he is a managing director in xyz company (a prominent company in naija ) he is comfortable,if u want his barren wife to leave d house 4 u,i can make dat happen,i know how to manoevre situations 2 ur favour,all i just want is for my broda to av kids',afta he finished talkin he said in yoruba,so what do u have to say concerning all ive been saying and i said ' shey e gbadun,shey oriyin pe sha,early in d morning u are lookin 4 a gal dat will brek ur brodas marriage.am nt interested in polygamy or breakin peoples home to talke advantage of dia problems and as am talkin to u stand up and get lost bfor i embarass u here,i am shuttin my eyes,bfor i open it,if i still see u here,i will thoroughly disgrace u,and bfor i opened my eyes d idiot had disappeared.assumin i was lustin afta money or because dis man is driving a flashy car n livin in a flashy house i must take advantage of dia problem,most gals of my age wil agree to marry him knowin who he is in d society,his worth n wot dey stand to gain
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by greatgod2012(f): 9:57am On Aug 24, 2012
kulyie: This thing u folks are talkin bout has almost happened to me.there was a fateful sunday like dat when i was in church listening to d word of God,an usher gave me a little pice of note pointing @ d direction where d note was comin from,d man eventually identified himself sayin he was d one dat wrote d note.d note went like dis,'hey cutie.av been watchin u for quitw som tym in dis church,ill like u to spare me 1o mins of ur tym afta church,i av somtin very important i want to discuss wit u'. In my mind i was like shey eleyi gbadun sha (is dis one ok)anyway afta church service,d man came to meet me where i was sittin and exchanged greetins wit me n said i av a marriage proposal 4 u on behalf of my younger broda.actually his marriage is 1o yrs old but he doesnt av kids yet and dia mother is fast loosing her patience because she said she wants to see all her grand kids from all her children bfor she dies and i see u as a hot blooded sexy girl,trust me my broda is goin to take care of u,he is a managing director in xyz company (a prominent company in naija ) he is comfortable,if u want his barren wife to leave d house 4 u,i can make dat happen,i know how to manoevre situations 2 ur favour,all i just want is for my broda to av kids',afta he finished talkin he said in yoruba,so what do u have to say concerning all ive been saying and i said ' shey e gbadun,shey oriyin pe sha,early in d morning u are lookin 4 a gal dat will brek ur brodas marriage.am nt interested in polygamy or breakin peoples home to talke advantage of dia problems and as am talkin to u stand up and get lost bfor i embarass u here,i am shuttin my eyes,bfor i open it,if i still see u here,i will thoroughly disgrace u,and bfor i opened my eyes d idiot had disappeared.assumin i was lustin afta money or because dis man is driving a flashy car n livin in a flashy house i must take advantage of dia problem,most gals of my age wil agree to marry him knowin who he is in d society,his worth n wot dey stand to gain

thank God 4 ur life, if its some ladies, dy wudn't even think twice,because dt is what dy are already waiting 4, if we hv ladies like u who are God-fearing, comtempteted and desicive,we wudn't be hearing all this story of somebody break one's marriage.
I thumb up 4 u and i pray dt u'l never be dissapointed in lfe in Jesus name, keep it up.U'l never miss ur own ribs by d grace of God.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 11:13am On Aug 24, 2012
coogar:

the society is 100% responsible for this.......i have been told some parents give their daughters deadlines to get a husband -- otherwise, move out of the house!

But if the gals are old enough to, what is wrong with them simply moving out? And might I add that the above is somewhat why I favor the way westerners raise their kids . . . many of them already think INDEPENDENTLY by age 18, and would definitely not accept such pressure from their parents. grin grin grin
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by coogar: 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

But if the gals are old enough to, what is wrong with them simply moving out? And might I add that the above is somewhat why I favor the way westerners raise their kids . . . many of them already think INDEPENDENTLY by age 18, and would definitely not accept such pressure from their parents. grin grin grin

well....the system in nigeria cannot afford that and this is why i blame the society! how often do you see 18-year-olds living independently? we are too parent-dependent in nigeria, we live in their houses for far too long, they cough out the funds to train us to tertiary education in most cases as there are no student loans in nigeria so it's natural for parents who have exerted such influence on their children to dictate who and when their kids marry!
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
coogar:
well....the system in nigeria cannot afford that and this is why i blame the society! how often do you see 18-year-olds living independently? we are too parent-dependent in nigeria, we live in their houses for far too long, they cough out the funds to train us to tertiary education in most cases as there are no student loans in nigeria so it's natural for parents who have exerted such influence on their children to dictate who and when their kids marry!

I still believe that life is about being able to make decisions and facing/accepting the consequences that follow, and sometimes the decision might be to go against the wishes of your parents. Many have done it and many more can do it. If however a woman feels that the worst thing to happen to her is being kicked out of her parent's house, then sure she will remain at home and probably end up marrying into a bad situation. However, if she believes(notice this all has to do with how weighs issues) that it would be better for her to be homeless for a time, all so she can ensure she gets exactly what SHE WANTS, then she will not cave in to the pressures from her parents.

Systems are changed by the decision of the majority. If the majority of these girls continue to value living under their parents over the freedom of choosing for themselves, when they want, whom they will settle with, then of-course the status quo will remain intact.
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by coogar: 2:40pm On Aug 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I still believe that life is about being able to make decisions and facing/accepting the consequences that follow, and sometimes the decision might be to go against the wishes of your parents. Many have done it and many more can do it.

many? in the grand scheme of things, the percentage is very low!

If however a woman feels that the worst thing to happen to her is being kicked out of her parent's house, then sure she will remain at home and probably end up marrying into a bad situation. However, if she believes(notice this all has to do with how weighs issues) that it would be better for her to be homeless for a time, all so she can ensure she gets exactly what SHE WANTS, then she will not cave in to the pressures from her parents.

how many girls of 18 have you seen in nigeria that left home to be "independent"?
be realistic!

Systems are changed by the decision of the majority. If the majority of these girls continue to value living under their parents over the freedom of choosing for themselves, when they want, whom they will settle with, then of-course the status quo will remain intact.

the nigerian system would not change because the parents are the government! they provide the shelter, food, light, school fees, clothing, etc for their kids. the american teenager can rely on her government to provide these things, her nigerian counterpart cannot get these things without a parent/guardian/sponsor - that difference is one of the reasons the parents exert a huge influence!

so i cannot see how the decision of the majority can change this unless the government starts doing what is right!
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 24, 2012
greatgod2012:

thank God 4 ur life, if its some ladies, dy wudn't even think twice,because dt is what dy are already waiting 4, if we hv ladies like u who are God-fearing, comtempteted and desicive,we wudn't be hearing all this story of somebody break one's marriage.
I thumb up 4 u and i pray dt u'l never be dissapointed in lfe in Jesus name, keep it up.U'l never miss ur own ribs by d grace of God.
amen o! D funny part of it was when my housemate (who we went to church togeda) asked me what he said n i told her,she asked me what i told him n i tokd her d next thing i heard was dat ha shewa,u fked up,how can u miss an oportunity as golden as dis.dont u want to join d leagues of gals who fix 7o,ooo naira brazillian hair n drive a posh car,i said yes i will,but dat will b wit d work of my hands n not my vagyna,den she hissed n said i shud giv her d mans number,i said go bak to church n look 4 d man,shebi u dey find awuf.i just left her and went to d kitchen to cook lunch,dats how i closed d chapter,my house mate on d oda hand doesnt mind a polygamous home as long as she can wear latest clothes,change her fone every month,have a posh car n go n show off
Re: Why do some single ladies marry married men? by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
coogar:
many? in the grand scheme of things, the percentage is very low!
Regardless many have done it.
coogar:
how many girls of 18 have you seen in nigeria that left home to be "independent"?
be realistic!
There are some who have done it . . . I know about 3 of my classmates in high school who eloped and got married right after we completed the WAEC, and this was against their parent's wishes. Granted those who do it are not in the majority, however they do exist, and in Nigeria, people around know of it.
coogar:
the nigerian system would not change because the parents are the government! they provide the shelter, food, light, school fees, clothing, etc for their kids. the american teenager can rely on her government to provide these things, her nigerian counterpart cannot get these things without a parent/guardian/sponsor - that difference is one of the reasons the parents exert a huge influence!
Like I said . . .
coogar:
so i cannot see how the decision of the majority can change this unless the government starts doing what is right!
Since there are cases where these Parents(Governments) have been overruled by their ward, We can definitively state that it can be done on a wider scope.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For A Kids Bicycle / Transgender Woman Sent Back To Male Prison Despite Appeal / How Can He Forgive His Wife And Forget?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.