Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? (16516 Views)

The 10 Countries With The Fastest Internet In The World / Meet The World's Fastest Internet Millionaire (it Took Him Just 5 Months) / Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by gidson12(m): 10:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
According to the latest report by Akamai Technologies Global Internet Platform on the State of the Internet in Africa, Nigeria has the fastest internet speed in the continent.

Nigeria has overtaken South Africa in terms of Internet speed. This is coming less than eleven years after reforming its communications networks and market.

The report revealed that Nigeria has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps. South Africa on the other hand has a faster average speed of 496kbps, but the country’s peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps.

“All mobile providers had average peak connection speeds above 2 mbps, though last place South African provider, ZA-1 was just above the threshold, losing over 13 per cent from the prior quarter, at 2.2 mbps,” IT News Africa reported.

According to Leadership, “in 2011 South Africa was one of only two countries listed in the report with an average peak connection speed below 2 mbps. South Africa had average 442kbps over Nigeria’s 286kbps, however, Nigeria outperformed with peak 4871kbps and average 462mbps per month over South Africa’s 1654kbps and 197mbps.”

The report also noted that speeds across the globe were improving, and that all 117 countries that qualified for inclusion measured an increase in average connection speeds.

Akamai Technologies is a leading cloud platform for helping enterprises provide secure, high-performing user experiences on any device. Based on data gathered, the report provides insight into key global statistics such as Internet penetration, mobile connection speeds, origins of attack traffic, and global and regional connection speeds.

Improved internet speed is an indication of improvement in Nigeria’s communication sector. With West African Cable System (WACS), Main One Cable and Glo-1 supporting SAT1 operated by Nigeria’s NITEL, it is expected that as telecom operators connect the hinterland, internet traffic would triple.

http://www.dailypost.com.ng/2012/08/22/state-internet-report-nigeria-fastest-internet-speed-africa/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=state-internet-report-nigeria-fastest-internet-speed-africa

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by PaulJohn1: 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
I believe in Nigeria cool
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by excondido(m): 12:14am On Aug 23, 2012
nice to hear we are making gaint strides, much better than the negatives we are associated with lately.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Zutchy: 12:18am On Aug 23, 2012
That's good news,please let it continue like this.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by victichy: 3:57am On Aug 23, 2012
For which part of naija you dey yarn? for my area U struggle with 10kb.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by dougivilla(m): 4:04am On Aug 23, 2012
story story, ... Story. Optimism no be stupidity oh!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 23, 2012
someone is not telling the truth

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by dasparrow: 4:50am On Aug 23, 2012
@Post

I don't mean to sound pessimistic or be a party pooper but I don't believe in this report. I know for a fact that the internet speed in Nigeria is not that great. I am also aware that places like south africa, kenya and ghana have a much faster internet speed connection. So, how did Nigeria all of a sudden beat countries like south africa, kenya, and ghana to become the country with the fastest internet speed in all of Africa? I don't buy that lie oh. Sorry.

I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not disappear

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Super1759: 7:11am On Aug 23, 2012
POWeR is getting better,
NETWORK and TELECOMMUNICATION is getting better,
My vote wasn't a waste
GEJ, YOUR THE MAN!!!!
FRESH AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Yeske2(m): 8:21am On Aug 23, 2012
I believe it's true with my Etisalat

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:02am On Aug 23, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I don't mean to sound pessimistic or be a party pooper but I don't believe in this report. I know for a fact that the internet speed in Nigeria is not that great. I am also aware that places like south africa, kenya and ghana have a much faster internet speed connection. So, how did Nigeria all of a sudden beat countries like south africa, kenya, and ghana to become the country with the fastest internet speed in all of Africa? I don't buy that lie oh. Sorry.

Scratch GHANA and KENYA from that list please...

South Africa I can understand

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Ajibel(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2012
with my starcomms izap..its a big lie angry
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by leunamme93(m): 11:11am On Aug 23, 2012
my etisalat gives me a 356-452 on average.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by slightlyMad(f): 11:11am On Aug 23, 2012
i trust Akamai, they run a content distribution network.

so where is that ghana bytch posting pictures of MMIA when her main city still browse at 1 kilobyte per seconds
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by lacasa: 11:12am On Aug 23, 2012
Super1759: POWeR is getting better,
My vote wasn't a waste
GEJ, YOUR THE MAN!!!!

Wake up!! Wake up!!

Its a dream undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2012
Dats not a nu tin. It's easy 2 guess dat we ll b among d top 3 n Africa. Tanx 2 d recent fresh air in electricity. Moreso u can access almost anytin 4rm ur mobile phone.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by decode55(m): 11:16am On Aug 23, 2012
Fat lie
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Skywalker5(m): 11:17am On Aug 23, 2012
Thats weird. i thought i read on this forum a few months back that we were not even in top 5
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 23, 2012
erm this is actually hard to believe, however i guess its good news? right
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Cleanman(m): 11:18am On Aug 23, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 23, 2012
Tales by rainfall! Lie lie people.smh! sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 23, 2012
Very true.....
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by sambos994(m): 11:19am On Aug 23, 2012
Second best...South Africa is ahead of us. But things are improving. Who was the dumb@ss that said Ghana and Kenya were faster?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by canuck(m): 11:19am On Aug 23, 2012
This giant stride was brought to you courtesy of Yahooze! cheesy

I visited Accra and Nairobi this year. . .Horrible speed.

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by sambos994(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Those two countries that you mentioned just made me believe that you are the stup.idest person alive.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by DonaldGenes(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2012
Who says so!You guys are day- dreaming !!
Abeg make i pass jor!!
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Skywalker5(m): 11:23am On Aug 23, 2012
Cleanman: ..@gidson,u totally hijacked my topic!.,i was the one that put this topic up yesterday..newayz nutin do u.

Men. its competition on whose post makes front page grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by DonaldGenes(m): 11:26am On Aug 23, 2012
berem: Tales by rainfall! Lie lie people.smh! sad
abeq tell 'em jawe!! I wonder who came-up with this kind fact
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by brownlord: 11:28am On Aug 23, 2012
Super1759: POWeR is getting better,
My vote wasn't a waste
GEJ, YOUR THE MAN!!!!

Keep deceiving urself

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Cleanman(m): 11:31am On Aug 23, 2012
Nigerians never see anything good in themselves!.....this mentality is what is drawing us backward..NIGERIA HAS THE FASTEST SPEED AND I CAN ATTEST TO THAT..if u no like the report, go take a dive inside lagoon.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by outofthebox: 11:32am On Aug 23, 2012
this is where i wana work..even with my ccna,ccnp and ccip, i havent even been called for an interview let alone passing.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by DonaldGenes(m): 11:32am On Aug 23, 2012
Cleanman: ..@gidson,u totally hijacked my topic!.,i was the one that put this topic up yesterday..newayz nutin do u.
ewuoooooo*Hands on my head* no wonder una dey compete for front page like food!! NL don turn to Refugee camp were ppl dey rush for food ni?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hold On Before You Build That New Website! / Mentality Of Nigerians When You Ask Them To Visit Your Site / Having Problems With Graphcard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.