Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? (16517 Views)

The 10 Countries With The Fastest Internet In The World / Meet The World's Fastest Internet Millionaire (it Took Him Just 5 Months) / Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by purplekayc(m): 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
[ ;Dquote author=victichy]For which part of naija you dey yarn? for my area U struggle with 10kb.[/quote]

grin
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
Airtel is ON THE LOOSE..

Other rub.b.ish networks TAKE NOTE.

pingo: MTN take note

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Africason(m): 3:55pm On Aug 23, 2012
Where was that article lifted from? Anyway, the latest study... monday, 22/08/2012 study say otherwise. It looks like Rwanda even ranks higher than Nigeria:

Rwanda has been ranked fourth in Africa with high speed internet, after Ghana, Kenya and Angola in that order, according to Ookla NetIndex latest global internet speed report which was released on Monday.

The performance places Rwanda at 103rd position in the world with an average speed of 3.03 Megabits per second (Mbps).

Speaking to The New Times yesterday, Antoine Sebera, the Acting Chief Executive Officer Broadband Systems Corporation Ltd (BSC), said that the report was correct because the country offers high internet download speed.

“We have plans to increase the speed in the coming years. Soon we shall again increase the amount of capacity on our international links provided on the submarine cables. This will lead the users to access international websites and content at a much higher speed,” he said.

Lithuania ranks first in the world with 31.67 Mbps followed by South Korea 30.59 Mbps and Latvia in third position with 27.42 Mbps.

According to the report, the ranking is made by measurements on millions of test results from speedtest.net which is based on the rolling mean through put in Mbps over the past 30 days where the mean distance between the client and the server is less than 300 miles.

Speedtest.net is a free broadband connection analysis software.

Sebera mentioned that speedtest.net is a good tool and reference for measuring broadband speed.

Users can test their Internet speed against hundreds of geographically dispersed servers around the world.

Ookla NetIndex is the global leader in broadband testing and web-based network diagnostic applications.

The company’s software and methodologies set the broadband industry standards for accuracy, ease of use and the subsequent development of statistical data.

Despite the fact that it is not the only one, it gives a good indication of broadband speed because it is based on results dynamically collected on the Internet.

According to the report, Ghana’s average broadband speed is 5.36 Mbps and the country is 69th on the world ranking, Kenya 76th with 4.84 Mbps and Angola 81th with 4.53 Mbps.

Rwanda currently relies on three submarine fibre optic cable systems for Internet connection such as the East Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSY), The East African Marine Systems (TEAMS) and SEACOM through local telecommunication companies and ISPs.

22/08/2012 Report - http://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/index.php?i=&a=51031

From the Ookla NetIndex latest global internet speed report guys.

BTW, Ookla NetIndex is the global leader in broadband testing and web-based network diagnostic applications.

FYI, This is not a Ghanaian newspaper/newsite where an individual may say the facts are being skewed for the country. Its a Rwandan News site. undecided

Another report with the Top 10 African Countries:

March 2012 Report - http://techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/

Very current/Updated - LIVE Report - Just Hover your mouse on a particular country and see the internet speed pop-up: The Official site to test/check all African countries: http://netindex.com/ or http://netindex.com/download/allcountries/ (It lists all countries with Live updates).

ENJOY! tongue
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by doofanc: 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2012
aze: God Bless Nigeria. Airtel Naija, Sp33d is An ATITUDE

not just airtel, but etisalat as well. i regularly get speeds in excess 4MB/s especially at night. during the day it averages about 2.5Mbs
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Tocheagle(m): 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2012
With etisalat it is true
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by charsoso: 5:33pm On Aug 23, 2012
-
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by sambos994(m): 5:37pm On Aug 23, 2012
-
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by otumfour(m): 6:13pm On Aug 23, 2012
^^ sambos! why quote the goat angry......
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Africason(m): 6:24pm On Aug 23, 2012
Hey, who deleted the current update i posted? The live update as to African rankings? Whats going on?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2012
Cleanman: ..@gidson,u totally hijacked my topic!.,i was the one that put this topic up yesterday..newayz nutin do u.

@Cleanman. The moderator is extremely political, I put this topic up 2days back. Anyways nottin do both of una + jack.ass mod
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by doofanc: 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2012

give it up for ETISALAT!!! 2500kbs at the [i]phocking [/i]peak period. cheesy cheesy

wait till nightfall, the speed will make you speechless
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Africason(m): 6:40pm On Aug 23, 2012
As of March 12th, 2012;
1. Ghana
2. Kenya
3. Angola
4. Rwanda
5. Zimbabwe
6. South Africa
7. Libya
8. Morocco
9. Nigeria
10. Tunisia

Source:
techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/

As of Wed, Apr 25th, 2012;

1. Ghana
2. Zimbabwe
3. Kenya
4. Libya
5. Madagascar
6. South Africa
7. Morocco
8. Nigeria
9. Rwanda
10. Mozambique
Source:
itnewsafrica.com/2012/04/africas-top-ten-countries-with-fastest-internet-speeds/

23/08/2012 - Current Report Link:
newtimes.co.rw/news/index.php?i=&a=51031

And finally;

Live Updated Results from the NetIndex:
netindex.com/download/allcountries/

So where was that article lifted from again? undecided
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Next2Bezee(m): 8:13pm On Aug 23, 2012
doofanc:

give it up for ETISALAT!!! 2500kbs at the [i]phocking [/i]peak period. cheesy cheesy

Oh boy, That Upload speed na beast oooOOO shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Marshiro(m): 8:20pm On Aug 23, 2012
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by PGON(m): 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
I'm sure that the person that started this thread didn't do his/her home work very well. Travel.

Stuck download files over the so called broadband network.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ObiomaA: 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2012
decode55: Fat lie
obinna egbujor egbufor
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by plendil: 9:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
Next2Bezee:

Here's Mine guys...

doofanc:

onye_ngbu*:

[size=14pt]Emphasis on where it says "slower than 51% of NG"[/size]

so there you have it. 3 major networks averaging well over 1 mb/sec. thaat would surrely put us among the top league.

what of GLO sef?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by doofanc: 10:15pm On Aug 23, 2012

[size=20pt]BEAT THIS MORAFKERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! [/size] cool cool cool cool

[size=15pt]GO ETISALAT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! [/size] cheesy
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by happy98: 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2012
Please check the out this link if you want to know the truth.
http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, this index compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe. The value is the rolling mean throughput in Mbps over the past 30 days where the mean distance between the client and the server is less than 300 miles.

[quote][/quote]

Some of the countries some are rubbishing will shock you.Speeds in Kenya have been top since Fibre optic was installed like 6 years ago.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by happy98: 10:33pm On Aug 23, 2012

From Kenya
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by pendo89(f): 10:45pm On Aug 23, 2012
Just clarifying.
Internet users in Kenya rely on 4 undersea fibre optic players. Use of the fibre optic cable significantly reduced the cost of connectivity to broadband and increased the connectivity speeds.

TEAMS :
EASSy:
SEACOM:
LION2

Teams and Seacom were the first cable to land at the Kenyan coast in 2009 resulting to fast Internet in the country.

Ok karibu kenya and yeah test test test.Infact I want my speed reduced grin grin
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by doofanc: 10:59pm On Aug 23, 2012
happy98:

From Kenya

it this for real 55mb/s??

if true, then not bad. . .
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by pendo89(f): 11:07pm On Aug 23, 2012
I am posting from Nbo. I just don't want to advertise for the isp.But google about ISP providers in Kenya and speeds.

You can see it's for May because we were trying to compare internet speeds between our various isp's to vote out the best.

We used to rely on satellite long ago and speeds were discouraging.Nowadys with the fibre it's fast.

If one fibre is accidentally destroyed cz it happens esp with the big ships,we have 3 on standby and if you have the best ISP you will appreciate

Most kenyans register with more than 2 ISP providers like me,to ensure no disruptions take place..So we rarely have issues.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by Tinyemeka(m): 11:45pm On Aug 23, 2012
sambos994:

Those two countries that you mentioned just made me believe that you are the stup.idest person alive.

LOL. No mind the guy. And he said it with all measures of confidence o! "I know for a fact...", "I am also aware that...".

People sef.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by jeak123(m): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nigerians are all gullible. we all know what it is like to surf on the net where there is no 3g network. even where there's 3g network, the speed at times can be frustrating. and now they are telling us that Nigeria has the fastest internet speed. the other day, i was at GLO head office in Portharcourt and for several minutes, there was no internet network in their office. and we are here deluding ourselves of fast internet speed. Maybe they have gone to do it the 'Nigerian" (manipulate) the report.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by AjanleKoko: 11:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
doofanc:

it this for real 55mb/s??

if true, then not bad. . .

That's not mobile data.
That's ADSL or some other fixed network.

Even HSPA+ can only get to 45MB theoretical speeds. It can never be achieved over a congested air interface.

pendo89: I am posting from Nbo. I just don't want to advertise for the isp.But google about ISP providers in Kenya and speeds.

You can see it's for May because we were trying to compare internet speeds between our various isp's to vote out the best.

We used to rely on satellite long ago and speeds were discouraging.Nowadys with the fibre it's fast.

If one fibre is accidentally destroyed cz it happens esp with the big ships,we have 3 on standby and if you have the best ISP you will appreciate

Most kenyans register with more than 2 ISP providers like me,to ensure no disruptions take place..So we rarely have issues.

What is the last mile your ISP is using to bring service to you?
You're comparing mobile data (3G/HSPA) with a copper or fiber connection. Users in Nigeria are getting Internet off their mobile provider.
Can you provide us with Safaricom or Airtel mobile data speeds over their 3G network?

We have three cables landed in Nigeria as well. SAT-3, Main One, and Glo-1. WACS will come live later this year.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by asagal(f): 12:27am On Aug 24, 2012
Super1759: POWeR is getting better,
NETWORK and TELECOMMUNICATION is getting better,
My vote wasn't a waste
GEJ, YOUR THE MAN!!!!
FRESH AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
angry angry angry angry angry angry mk we hear word jor!
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by pendo89(f): 12:29am On Aug 24, 2012
What is the last mile your ISP is using to bring service to you?
You're comparing mobile data (3G/HSPA) with a copper or fiber connection. Users in Nigeria are getting Internet off their mobile provider.
Can you provide us with Safaricom or Airtel speeds over their 3G network?

We have three cables landed in Nigeria as well. SAT-3, Main One, and Glo-1. WACS will come live later this year
Ah thank you. That was a speedtest to a server within nairobi hosted by the ISP.

Airtel has amazing speeds too.I will post once i run the test,but SAFCOM is does it for me. smiley

And you know what? I still think ghana is ahead. check out rwanda and angola too.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by ektbear: 12:37am On Aug 24, 2012
Interesting. Was really slow for me when I was using it.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by AjanleKoko: 12:43am On Aug 24, 2012
^^
That's more like it.
Wananachi is a fixed broadband, 3-play provider. Is that over a fiber connection, or copper (ADSL)?
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by pendo89(f): 12:57am On Aug 24, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
That's more like it.
Wananachi is a fixed broadband, 3-play provider. Is that over a fiber connection, or copper (ADSL)?

if u start asking me deep technical questions i will run away.i hate these terms grin

Wananchi Online Company runs Zuku which offers Wimax and fibre connection. Now I do not use zuku so i cant talk much abt them.
Re: Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? by timilehing(m): 3:24am On Aug 24, 2012
Go to asaba, speed there is just 2kbps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hold On Before You Build That New Website! / Mentality Of Nigerians When You Ask Them To Visit Your Site / Having Problems With Graphcard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.