Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,981 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:49 AM

What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (20701 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by bittyend(m): 10:38pm On Aug 24, 2012
Question for Nigerians;

Why do Nigerians put too much salt in their food?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by opella(f): 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2012
Mine was the first time i cooked jellof rice, never knew one has to fry the tomatoes, i ended up cooking without groundnut oil, the face of the rice was something else.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by koolJ1(f): 11:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
nne3870: when i was young my aunt adds little garri to make soup thicker if watery esp bitterleaf or oha, so oneday d cocoyam i bought was not enough 4 d onugbu soup and instead of asking 4 d quantity 2 add i went 2 fetch a cup of garri, poured everythn. Low d soup was even thicker than d eba i made...lol, u can imagne d beating i recievd after a whole pot of soup went in2 d bin.

To just like this post nor gree me...I just had to quote it. Roflmao @ soup being thicker than garri...lwkm4h!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
ORAFA: It wasnt me sha. Ma 8yr old niece added salt to indomie. I cant explain d taste.
aawww, such a cute mistake
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 24, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: Wanted 2 copy my mum & prepare a beans stew (ata ewa igayin).
I 4got & left d palm oil 2 fry 4 ova 3hrs & d whole kitchen was filled wt smoke. After opening d windows 4 ventilation, I poured stew in d hot oil & it caught fire lyk say na bomb. I added water & d fire blazed up beyond normal. Goose pimple kom catch me, I run komot 4rm kitchen. Came bak wt a bucket of sand 2 quench d fire. D fire rose & touched d curtain of our kitchen. D tin burnt down shap shap. Even d pot was burnt beyond washing & d stew turned black lyk used engine oil. Dat day was damm good
lol, did ur mum beat you??

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 24, 2012
Have you ever cooked your food and refuse to look at it or eat it? That's a blunder right there.

Any man who doesn't have a cooking blunder is a bloody liar...be honest. I have had a share of my blunders and in all times
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
Sky Rider: I was like 10. My younger sister offered to prepare lunch for Me, my younger brother and herself. cause my mum was nowhere to be found.(she was actually at our former place to sort things out) we just moved into a new house.

After 30 mins we went into the kitchen to see what this Little Madam was preparing..,

Lo n behold, she was boiling only "three numbers of beans" in a large pot filled with water!!!
LMAO!! grin grin grin
Such an innocent mistake....one for her, one for you and one for ur last born.
Priceless!! grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by slimyem: 11:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
Yeske!:
Wifey travelled and I wanted to make noodles but added crayfish to taste, had to throw the damn thing away.
there's nothing wrong with adding crayfish to noodles..
It actually tastes nice if done properly..
Makes me remember a male housemate i had once..
He wanted to cook 3 sachets of noodles and because we used to cook with pure water,he assumed 1 satchet of water would do for one noodle and 3 satchets of water for three noodles..
The water never dried and the noodles became mesh..
It had to go to the bin!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by alienware(m): 11:53pm On Aug 24, 2012
i was in the kitchen cooking rice when nepa took their light, i was the only one at home with my dad. when the food was almost ready i wanted to add oil to the rice, but there was honey in the kitchen too and in the same container as oil, i turned the honey in the rice thinking it was oil..... .. the food turned brown and stiff
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by dealordea(m): 11:57pm On Aug 24, 2012
Have never make any blunder for the past 18 years been a guy except during the last week of ramadan fasting when i was cooking rice at mid-night and I slept off, can't imagine the whole rice got burnt, painful my record was broken, my brother where very happy for my silly sleep..
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Goldieluks: 12:00am On Aug 25, 2012
When it comes to food, trust me, i like to try any good food i come across.
I went to an African shop, saw a Ghanaian woman purchasing 'banku' a Ghanaian recipe.
Gosh i started salivating at the sight of it, and i thought to myself ''wow! i can't wait to prepare
this food and eat it all up''. Behold, i got home, poured hot water into a pot and i added the banku
to the water, whilst mixing it. I mixed it for like 30 mins, and i begun to smell an acidic odor,
i became very scared, and the excitement i felt prior to eating the banku, became a nightmare.
I mixed that food for up to an hour, and the odor didn't help matters. I had to throw it into the bin.

The next day, i approached a Ghanaian girl in my uni and told her about my experience, she just laughed and
said '' that is the normal aroma, and you have to mix it for a longer period''. I was like, oh no! I pass.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Ariyke: 12:00am On Aug 25, 2012
tried making eba with vegetable oil chei see beating dat day was just 10
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Lindsee(f): 12:00am On Aug 25, 2012
Omo, d first day I tried makin egusi soup..it was awful..I continued adding d egusi till it looked like fried egg..d day I tried making french toast with a microwave...
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by noblechriss(m): 12:03am On Aug 25, 2012
NobleAngell: No blunders @ all. Am a star in d kitchen. cool
who we go ask?
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by msb247(m): 12:05am On Aug 25, 2012
mehn my nairaland guyz dey really try... the blunders wey babes do worse pass our own sef cheesy. this is a proof to the saying: anything a woman can do a man can do better tongue
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by sucre2(m): 12:07am On Aug 25, 2012
Tried frying an egg with a candle light, guess what? I got exhausted,tired and angrily slept off..
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by tellwsdom: 12:26am On Aug 25, 2012
Omo, I fried yam, never even put the yam fr fire when fire begin comot from the potsadsad
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by noblechriss(m): 12:32am On Aug 25, 2012
Hahahahahha!!! Lwkmdh!!! Lmfao!!! Aren't Nigerians amazing? I don laff sotee my jaw wan shift for here!some of the blunders i see here make me scream!make una take am easy esp those ones wey D̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̥y̲̅ prepare poison sey na food! Chai!!! *smh! Naija i D̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̥y̲̅ hail Oº°˚

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ziediolike(m): 12:44am On Aug 25, 2012
Putting sugar in my food thinking it was salt, dat dey i chop small food tire!!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ziediolike(m): 1:08am On Aug 25, 2012
Putting sugar in my food thinking it was salt, dat dey i chop dat small food tire d thing no gree finish!!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Fynist(m): 1:09am On Aug 25, 2012
The day i mistook a bottle of Kerosene for Ground nut oil.hmm.... malengi Rice. And the day i way cooking concoction rice and slept off.when i woke up Conconction Rice don turn to Confusion Rice. With a nice burn burn coffe flavor
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 25, 2012
Tasting too much when I cook. tongue
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 1:52am On Aug 25, 2012
Mine was with the simplest of foods. Indomie. I usually like to add a little oil to my indomie. So one day I was cooking indomie and in my haste I quickly grabbed a bottle of what I thot was oil and pour it in (the liquid actually looked like oil). Lo and behold I came back a few minutes later to see the pot foaming then I asked my sister wat was inside the bottle I poured into the indomie and she said detergent. That was the worst meal I av ever prepared. I had to pour it all away.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by simplemach(m): 5:42am On Aug 25, 2012
[quote
author=nne3870]when i was young my aunt adds little garri to make soup
thicker if watery esp bitterleaf or oha, so oneday d cocoyam i bought
was not enough 4 d onugbu soup and instead of asking 4 d quantity 2 add i
went 2 fetch a cup of garri, poured everythn. Low d soup was even
thicker than d eba i made...lol, u can imagne d beating i recievd after a
whole pot of soup went in2 d bin.[/quote]
U for add anoda cup. LWKMD.........!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by sleeky8(m): 5:55am On Aug 25, 2012
During my university days "t n k" and "iya yusuf" has always taken care of my cooking inadequacies +if you attended unilorin you would understand what am saying+
Fast forward to 2011, during my service year in rano, kano state. With no fast food around, your sincerely had to learn how to cook.
My most stupid cooking blunder has got to be when i tried to make ogbono soup. I put palm oil in the pot, added the already grounded ogbono and proceeded to fry it. The result was a burnt concoction.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Allwell(m): 6:01am On Aug 25, 2012
My first stew was a disaster. Charred d onions. *sighs* D whole thing had to go down d drain. But i'm still proud of that stew cos it was my first.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Onyewarri(m): 6:07am On Aug 25, 2012
dryakson: Mine was really funny!
Well, my very first day to cook rice was in the morning, when I mummy when to hospital with my dad.
I wake up to feel my stomach empty, I decided to cook rice for breakfast with my younger sister, I light the stove and put a pot fill with water.
Lol! I filled one big MUDU of rice and pore it in the pot on stove.
B4 I realise, the pot fill and start overflowing, oboi I reduce the rice to another separate pot and put on another stove.
Hahahaha b4 the rice boil, I fill like 5 pot with have done rice, ask I test the rice to see wheda it is ready to eat, it is still hard
To cut the long disaster short, my mumy came and see 5 full pots with have done rice.
My mumy put one full pot 4 me to eat or face the music
I slept with hunger that day
I can't 4get that lovely day in my life
I was 8yrs then
mehn. LWKMD. Na u badt pass.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2012
Wanted to cook fried rice so i actually poured parboiled rice into groundnut oil to be fried..
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by maggilove(f): 7:01am On Aug 25, 2012
D day i par-boiled gure vegetable like all oda vegetables,u can imagine wat we ate on dat day,draw vegetable soup.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2012
Omo, I was about 7 years old and my elder sister was about 14

We were hearing of fried rice, fried rice...

Omo! My sister arrange raw rice inside veg oil...come see frying of raw rice...lol

As we finish our experiment, we started chewing our "fried rice" in agony...lol

Today we are excellent cooks though...
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by itoldu: 8:32am On Aug 25, 2012
i burnt boiled water

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Vansnickers: 9:04am On Aug 25, 2012
john_shagb: Let me share a story ♍γ̲̣̣̥ cousin told me about a newly wedded bride.
She wanted to prepare yam flour(amala) so she put a reasonable amount of water on fire but she didn't give it enough time to boil properly, she pour the flour into the lukewarm water and started stirring. When she realized the mixture refused to form properly, she quickly and quietly disposed the mess she prepared. She gave it another trial with the former procedure and we all know what to expect. That was when she summon the courage to tell her hungry mother in-law she doesn't know Ђõω to prepare the meal. I can't imagine what the expressions on her face would be at her first trial.
God go save man from all this babes wey no sabi wetin okro be, Ωa only noodles and fried rice dem fit cook
^^^^^^^^^^
This should be a Mr Bean episode! cheesy

I was really young and on Mid-term break and also with a case of the munchies, So i deceided to make Stir-fried Noodles just like my Mum made it.
Alas! the Disaster that resulted, i burnt the Cabbage, due to the large amount of noodles in the pan, the Eggs did not fry properly.
After three bites, i threw up! Trust me it was Nasty. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Ways To Eat What You Want And Still Be Healthy / Can Pregnant Woman Drink Zobo Drink????? / Peak Launches New Peak “Mini” Evap Packs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.