Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? (4060 Views)

How To Learn Database Management / Help On Database Management System For A Hospital : Urgent / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by Greatdesi(m): 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
Our pastor asked us to build a DBMS for members of the church. The knowledge I have is from the lectures gotten from our lecturer and it is just QBASIC and FORREAN rhat we have done yet. Please I need assisstance on the best programming language to use and how to go about it. It will not be run from a remote server or uploaded to any host.
Thanks for your assisstance
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by THESuperman(m): 1:45pm On Aug 24, 2012
Greatdesi: Our pastor asked us to build a DBMS for members of the church. The knowledge I have is from the lectures gotten from our lecturer and it is just QBASIC and FORREAN rhat we have done yet. Please I need assisstance on the best programming language to use and how to go about it. It will not be run from a remote server or uploaded to any host.
you want it done online? And not with a local host? One thing you should is, u have to test all d sql quries on ur localhost befor taking it online... So let me understand what u need
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by spendogram: 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2012
@OP,
QBasic/ Fortran learned in school can not do u much help bro. You need to learn practical programming. You can DIY but you are definitely not going to become a pro overnight. Not even in a month. In fact not in 6 months. I'm not discouraging you but do not promise to deliver anything to your church yet until you have learned and done actual programming.

If you like open source then go for php/mysql. You can learn online for free at www.w3schools.com
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by THESuperman(m): 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
i can help if u tell me, the table structure n all d fields needed.. N basicaly the purpose and use of this database ur pastor wants.. Thanks u can tweet me @izzykuro
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by Afam4eva(m): 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2012
Where is the database management system going to reside? Is it on your local computer or online?

Which package do you want to use? Is it Microsoft SQL or MySQL or even Oracle
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by naijaswag1: 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2012
Greatdesi: Our pastor asked us to build a DBMS for members of the church. The knowledge I have is from the lectures gotten from our lecturer and it is just QBASIC and FORREAN rhat we have done yet. Please I need assisstance on the best programming language to use and how to go about it. [b]It will not be run from a remote server or uploaded to any host.
[/b]Thanks for your assisstance

All I need from your Pastor is anointing to make N10m before christmas.I will develop it for you people,maybe you acn load my modem.For those who are asking if it is going to be online,the poster has said that it should not be run from a remote host.So a local desktop application or web on tomcat or glassfish on your Pastor's laptop or his secretary or even on the church office local LAN or wireless will be great.Contact me via email --> frankgod02@gmail.com
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by Gomez(m): 12:31am On Aug 25, 2012
You can also look at the one we have done and maybe use it.
Is hosted @ http://churchplus.com.ng/
cheers
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by okeyxyz(m): 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
Greatdesi:
It will not be run from a remote server or uploaded to any host.

It baffles me how "smart" NLers can read the above, yet fail to understand.
@OP, just use microsoft access and all your problems are solved.

1 Like

Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by nelklyn(m): 1:48am On Aug 26, 2012
You can achieve the DBMS using PHP and MYSQL. Since it is not meant to be run online, simply installing Xampp server on the laptop or computer that it will be run on does the job. What's left is to create the database and tables you need in MySQL then access and display the information from the database using PHP.
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 3:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
@poster,
the project is not tasking at all. I believe u can do this ursef since u hav knowledge of programming. I understand you want the application to be an offline desktop application. I suggest u learn easy language like VB.NET and MYSQL or SQL SERVER database is ok for the back end. If you can call me, i will tell you how to go about it. And from there, you can develope higher applications, even the ones that would run on LAN. Call 07031557301
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by DualCore1: 7:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
Call me, call me, call me..... that's mostly what I see here.
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 12:21am On Aug 27, 2012
Dual Core: Call me, call me, call me..... that's mostly what I see here.

it sumtin u have to talk personaly with the person because you cant be online all the time. The person has to create good relationshio with whoever is helping him because this is not a question of one time answer
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 6:23am On Aug 28, 2012
First of all, select your choice of language, VB or C# or java or any one that will suit you. Get the basic foundation of the language and then, get the requirements of this project. From there, you see the next step to take. I encourage you to use easy language like VB.NET. When ever u have any problem, bring it up here or u call me. Goodluck
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by mitey(m): 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
Greatdesi: Our pastor asked us to build a DBMS for members of the church. The knowledge I have is from the lectures gotten from our lecturer and it is just QBASIC and FORREAN rhat we have done yet. Please I need assisstance on the best programming language to use and how to go about it. It will not be run from a remote server or uploaded to any host.

Well, I assume you only need a database that will only contain personal details of the church members without any other functionality.

okeyxyz:
. . . @OP, just use microsoft access and all your problems are solved.

So, why not use a Access? Or better yet go for MySQL.

If you want to use MySQL, you can use phpMyAdmin for easy Create-Read-Update-Delete (CRUD) operations on your data. Just download Wamp server, it contains MysQL ready for use on a Windows machine and comes with phpMyAdmin installed.

I recommend MySQL, because if you ever need to use the data later in a website, you can easily export the database and upload it online. Also MySQL is open source and therefore has wide support and can be integrated into almost any other system.
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by Greatdesi(m): 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
I really want to thank you all your response. I think I will go for either vb.net or mysql. The application will be run from a local host in the church office. Assuming that group leader wants to send sms to a group of people in a service group, will that be possible ? Thanks
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 10:37am On Aug 30, 2012
No, u can not chose between vb.net or mysql, u chose the two or u pick mysql and any language u will use to communicate with d database. Mysql is d database dat stores ur data. Then, vb.net or any language is what u use to develope interface that will communicate with ur database. As said earlier, phpmyadmin is an interface that can communicate with mysql but i dont advice u to use phpmyadmin for the users who do not have technical knowlegde of phpmyadmin. U have to consider the end users of this software. If it should run on local area network, i think it should be a desktop application with very beautiful interface with robust interaction so that an ordinary person can use it. Yes, they can exchange message if the computers are on the same network.
Yes, u can also send sms to a group of people on the database provided their phone number is there.
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by lordstevens: 12:41am On Sep 02, 2012
ASP.NET
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 7:15pm On Sep 02, 2012
@LordStevens
The poster is asking how he can go about to get his church project done since he has never developed such software. You stated ASP.NET. How does he go about developing his church software with ASP.NET? U nid to tell him how to begin and why he is to use ASP.NET. I hope u are not telling us the language you know. ASP.NET could be VB.NET or C#, you need to be open coz you are talking to a novice. Thanks for the contribution anyway but you should have backed up your suggestion.
Re: How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? by VURN(m): 7:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
From what am seeing, this guy wants to develop a simple desktop application that would run on network of computers (LAN) with the database hosted in a particular computer for all the client to communicate to. The application will keep records of the church members and manage the members groups or organisation, paying of church dues, plegdes and all that. It can also be used to pass announcement to members or a particular group by sms. This is a simple project shaaa and he can do it if he is serious about it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Leading It Firms In Nigeria? / Want To Be Part Of Something Huge? Let's Build This Startup Together. / How To Build Paystack Like System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.