Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Do Animals Think?? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Animals Think?? (15034 Views)

The Unconventional War-when Animals Defend Themselves / What Group Of Animals Are Called / Names Of Animals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Animals Think?? by Heeyhun(f): 12:24am On Aug 25, 2012
As funny as it sounds, this question caused a lot of uproar in my philosophy class yesterday. Half the class supported the notion while the other half argued that animals act based on instincts and not reasoning or thinking. Please, I need convincing facts(either way). Thanks
Re: Do Animals Think?? by masterpiecer(m): 2:59pm On Aug 25, 2012
^hmmm, nice ?tion.
i would like to believe dat animals do think.
its only dat it may vary in percentage in various animals, animals like, cats, elephants, dogs, snakes, parrots, etc

Elephant
Elephants r prominent with very strong memories, an elephant never forgets, an elephant can remember events as old as 20yrs!, that why they always return to the burial place of their parents or companion to die. They r very good at recalling memories, and that can only be done by thinking.

Cat
Cats r famous for neatness, stealth(during preying), and sociality, when a cat is preying on a rat, the level of stealth it exhibits is stunning, sometimes it can stay still for minutes without an ounce of movement, in those moments, its actually contemplating its next move, meaning its thinking its next move.

Dogs
Dogs r exceptional, there is a whole lot about dogs, i have actually watched a video clip about a dog dat knows maths!, yeah maths. Simple addition n subtraction ?tions where asked without any sign language, and she would answer by tapping her foot the number of times the answer!, amazing!(if u doubt, i can send u d clip)

Parrots
Be very scared of parrots, do u know dat a parrot can commit suicide?, yes it does, a parrot would commit suicide if u starved it for a long time, what it does is to hang its claws on the roof of its cage and allow its head to hang downwards, eventually dying in that position. A parrot would also continually pluck off its red feather anytime it grows out, that is if it sees u pluck out a grown feather off its tail, thats why they always cover its face with a piece of cloth whenever the plucking is done.

there r so many animals, like monkeys, dolphins(dolphins r d only mammals dat have s e x 4 fun jst like humans), gorilas, u mention.

22 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Heeyhun(f): 8:04pm On Aug 29, 2012
thanks alot...ur post was of great help
Re: Do Animals Think?? by djeezy(m): 2:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
INSTINCTS....But if you believe they can think, that means they can actually commit suicide.lol they make use of inticts even when they pursue their prey, all those tactics they use, one would argue that it was as a result of thinking. It's still not, it's insticts. we are higher than animals, they don't use their brains.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by masterpiecer(m): 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
djeezy: INSTINCTS....But if you believe they can think, that means they can actually commit suicide.lol they make use of inticts even when they pursue their prey, all those tactics they use, one would argue that it was as a result of thinking. It's still not, it's insticts. we are higher than animals, they don't use their brains.

did u read the part of my post about parrots?, a parrot can commit suicide.

masterpiecer:
Parrots
Be very scared of parrots, do u know dat a parrot can commit suicide?, yes it does, a parrot would commit suicide if u starved it for a long time, what it does is to hang its claws on the roof of its cage and allow its head to hang downwards, eventually dying in that position. A parrot would also continually pluck off its red feather anytime it grows out, that is if it sees u pluck out a grown feather off its tail, thats why they always cover its face with a piece of cloth whenever the plucking is done..
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Heritman(m): 11:24pm On Sep 06, 2012
Heeyhun: As funny as it sounds, this question caused a lot of uproar in my philosophy class yesterday. Half the class supported the notion while the other half argued that animals act based on instincts and not reasoning or thinking. Please, I need convincing facts(either way). Thanks
Animal use programin! Codes! Qbasic. Winks. Hw was up csc practical test?

3 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Heeyhun(f): 10:42am On Sep 15, 2012
Not offering csc
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Orikinla(m): 12:34pm On Sep 16, 2012
[size=18pt]All living creatures that bear and rear their offspring think.
In fact I have seen better parenting among sheep in Lagos than in many Nigerian parents.[/size]

13 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by firestar(f): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2012
^hmmm, nice ?tion.
i would like to believe dat animals do think.
its only dat it may vary in percentage in various animals, animals like, cats, elephants, dogs, snakes, parrots, etc

Elephant
Elephants r prominent with very strong memories, an elephant never forgets, an elephant can remember events as old as 20yrs!, that why they always return to the burial place of their parents or companion to die. They r very good at recalling memories, and that can only be done by thinking.
embarassed

Cat
Cats r famous for neatness, stealth(during preying), and sociality, when a cat is preying on a rat, the level of stealth it exhibits is stunning, sometimes it can stay still for minutes without an ounce of movement, in those moments, its actually contemplating its next move, meaning its thinking its next move.
cool

Dogs
Dogs r exceptional, there is a whole lot about dogs, i have actually watched a video clip about a dog dat knows maths!, yeah maths. Simple addition n subtraction ?tions where asked without any sign language, and she would answer by tapping her foot the number of times the answer!, amazing!(if u doubt, i can send u d clip)

Parrots
Be very scared of parrots, do u know dat a parrot can commit suicide?, yes it does, a parrot would commit suicide if u starved it for a long time, what it does is to hang its claws on the roof of its cage and allow its head to hang downwards, eventually dying in that position. A parrot would also continually pluck off its red feather anytime it grows out, that is if it sees u pluck out a grown feather off its tail, thats why they always cover its face with a piece of cloth whenever the plucking is done. shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed

there r so many animals, like monkeys, dolphins(dolphins r d only mammals dat have s e x 4 fun jst like humans), gorilas, u mention.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by fatholysis: 10:40am On Sep 23, 2012
Heeyhun: As funny as it sounds, this question caused a lot of uproar in my philosophy class yesterday. Half the class supported the notion while the other half argued that animals act based on instincts and not reasoning or thinking. Please, I need convincing facts(either way). Thanks
Just has you've said "Animals act base on instinct" It seems like they think, but they are only reacting to regular occurrence. But some animals are very intelligent, animals like Octopus

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by yuzedo: 2:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
Oh yes! undecided

All the Politicians in Nigeria are always thinking about how to loot and fleece the commonwealth! Thieving Animals! angry

5 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Andrew3(m): 2:26pm On Sep 26, 2012
Yes, they think we are cannibals. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by fittty(m): 2:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
Why not?
Re: Do Animals Think?? by yuzedo: 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
fatholysis:
Just has you've said "Animals act base on instinct" It seems like they think, but they are only reacting to regular occurrence. But some animals are very intelligent, animals like Octopus

Jesos! shocked

Bro, we know you are Yoruba, but must H-factor enter EVEN written english?!?! cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Animals Think?? by sambos994(m): 2:30pm On Sep 26, 2012

Of course animals think.....just look at the parliament.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
aren't humans animals? undecided
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Maxwell86(m): 2:34pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals think in ARABIC coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Kslib(m): 2:34pm On Sep 26, 2012
No,animals dont think.. If not,how can a sane rat burst five bags of garri i bought for my father-inlaw.. What pains me is that i had to go all the way to ijebu to get it.

17 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by valicious1(m): 2:36pm On Sep 26, 2012
No they don't, rather they act on impulse. In other words, they just respond to stimuli just like plants do.NEXT question pls.

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by DANILSA(m): 2:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
i don waka pass,this topic na for great thinkers and philosophers, make una go ask jona wey read zoology, me na management i read,i will come back latter for expo grin grin grin
AM BACK
Scientists think that animals think:
But what exactly do they think about?

3 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 26, 2012
Comparative psychology.

Animals do have very limited thinking ability. They act mostly on instincts especially when their territory is being threatened. Although, it depends on particular animals just like you have in humans.

All in all, animals are better than some humans. They can be consciencious too. Have you ever asked yourself why strange dogs don't hurt children most of the time ?

Yet, a "grown human who thinks" wouldn't hesitate to siphon funds meant for the upkeep of children nationwide. This is why some people , especially in western countries prefer to keep dogs as their pets or even as children than humans. Because these animals are reliable and THINK that their owners have their best interest at heart, so they reciprocate the kind gesture by stand guard at the cemetary as in the story from Argentina.

2 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by seedord247(m): 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
Please watch discovery channel or animal planet for best answer. sad

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by ogochukwunasa1: 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
Mschewww... Is it all humans dat think or use their brain??
I need convincing answers. Thanks!
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals don't think, they act on instinct. There my be some exceptions though
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Foxybone(m): 2:45pm On Sep 26, 2012
Passing by... Animals dey think pass most people for soceity self... Eg... Una Presido... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Animals Think?? by 2sa2: 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
valicious1: No they don't, rather they act on impulse. In other words, they just respond to stimuli just like plants do.NEXT question pls.
so when a rat or cockroach sees me and decides to pass another corner so i dont smash its head, or my dog sees me coming and runs to give me a hug, they are reacting to impulse abi

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
DO Animals think ?

Thoughts are actions from the mind, the mind is subject to the brain. Anything that has brain can think.

So there fore, animals think.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
Kslib: No,animals dont think.. If not,how can a sane rat burst five bags of garri i bought for my father-inlaw.. What pains me is that i had to go all the way to ijebu to get it.

Hahaha... Funny.... You want try that Rat thinking faculty... oh ya go buy beans put am, make we see...

Can't those Human beings in Aso if you put Rock, na you sabi!! "think " about the welfare of Nigerians and know that the natural resources belongs to us all....

Oh yea, humans thinking.... Imao...

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by EazyJ(f): 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals think cos they have brain only dat deir thinking ability is limited.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by freecocoa(f): 2:59pm On Sep 26, 2012
Before nko?

Some of them even get sense pass some human beings sef, if not why will a Dog wait for my grandma to enter inside the house before coming to steal the meat she was roasting? What of rats that only come out when the owners of the house must have gone to bed to destroy their good?

The day a chicken gave me the chase of my life because i wanted to hold one of its chick is the day my fear for mother hen started.

Do you know why I think they know clearly what they do especially rats? Its because a rat will damage your goods the way wey e go pain you, its almost like they want you to feel bad.

Maybe its only Aturu(Rams) that don't think, you need to see them crossing the road, they are really stup1d.undecided

10 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2012
2sa2:
so when a rat or cockroach sees me and decides to pass another corner so i dont smash its head, or my dog sees me coming and runs to give me a hug, they are reacting to impulse abi

Hahaha... Funny thread.... Those animals love life pass human self. That is why God gave them speed and sense to dodge danger....

Una want try Tortoise ? Mbe !!!!
Re: Do Animals Think?? by free2ryhme: 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2012

animal thinking level aint high .. it has a constant pattern .. they cant think outside-the-box. That's make human(higher animals) different.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Books You've Read This Year? / Death To Baddos. Death To The Bees By Akíntayo Akínjídé / Attai... The Player From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.