Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,211 members, 7,780,382 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:22 PM

Do Animals Think?? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Animals Think?? (15012 Views)

The Unconventional War-when Animals Defend Themselves / What Group Of Animals Are Called / Names Of Animals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Blackteeth(m): 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals think in pictures while humans think in words and pictures.
If a dog is hungry it will have a photo visualization of the garri it swallowed previously.

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by valicious1(m): 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2012
2sa2:
so when a rat or cockroach sees me and decides to pass another corner so i dont smash its head, or my dog sees me coming and runs to give me a hug, they are reacting to impulse abi
Yes they are. When ur dog runs to give u a "HUG", its simply doing that cos its been doing that right from birth & not because it thinks it should give u a hug. NB *note as am constantly using the word "it" instead of "he" or "she". To show u the proximity/nearness of animals to plants.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Eltwenty: 3:13pm On Sep 26, 2012
Interesting post there. Highly informative. I want to believe they can think a little, even if some call it instinct.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by stepo707: 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: Do Animals Think?? by kariolality: 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
Why will a dog bury bone underground and still knows d exact spot the next day...ANIMALS THINK
Re: Do Animals Think?? by 2sa2: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
valicious1:
Yes they are. When ur dog runs to give u a "HUG", its simply doing that cos its been doing that right from birth & not because it thinks it should give u a hug. NB *note as am constantly using the word "it" instead of "he" or "she". To show u the proximity/nearness of animals to plants.
The highlighted quote cannot be correct i will tell u why, we got our dog about 4 months ago, for the first 3 weeks, it wasn't friendly atal, it (she) would bark and bark and bark, until she realized that we are her new masters. The point i'm trying to make is that animals think, she was able to know that these are not enemies, they feed me, bathe me, e.t.c. I think its more than instinct for animals to act the way they do.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
On a final note..

Henry Ford said that "thinking is the hardest thing there is".

Just watch as this thread won't exceed 4 pages or highest 5 because we Hate to think !!

Let it be some celebrity gossip, fictitious romance topic or tribalistic bullshit, it will reach 20 pages.. No wonder problems abound...Bunch of dokita's.

I rest my case !
Re: Do Animals Think?? by dj187: 3:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
All animals think except GOAT grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by JazzFreak(m): 3:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
Parrots
Be very scared of parrots, do u know dat a parrot can commit suicide?, yes it does, a parrot would commit suicide if u starved it for a long time, what it does is to hang its claws on the roof of its cage and allow its head to hang downwards, eventually dying in that position. A parrot would also continually pluck off its red feather anytime it grows out, that is if it sees u pluck out a grown feather off its tail, thats why they always cover its face with a piece of cloth whenever the plucking is done.[/quote]

This one about parrots shock me O !
Kpai hei sef ? ... God too much.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Kslib(m): 3:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals think.. Tell me what makes a bird to reason that it new borns needs a nest.. How does the bird constructs it's nest if it doesn't thinks.

2 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 26, 2012
Again, The Question sounds crazy in the first place. When you ask "DO animals think?" Have you forgotten that human beings are animals ? Yes, we think. And everything with brain, thinks. Thoughts are ethereal signals from the ethereal seat of the brain called the mind. All animals think, but degree of thoughts is what sets humanoids apart and even then, some humans thinker faster, better and more coherent than others, its why we have rating called IQ grin
Re: Do Animals Think?? by rudee007(m): 3:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
yuzedo:

Jesos! shocked

Bro, we know you are Yoruba, but must H-factor enter EVEN written english?!?! cry

Youre a fool! If you dont have anything constructive to say get the f.u.c!k of the thread na.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by KINGwax(m): 3:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
That's what i hate abt both science and education. The fact dt a cat is thinkin abt it's next move is pure thinkin. But abt d parrot committin suicide is pure instinct. One clear reason why thinkin is different from instinct is dt, Thinkin comprises of many moves and actions. For example, a cat that stays still might decides to pounce on it's prey by jumpin or simply run towards it without jumping. That depends on the position of it's prey and the action dt will produce the best result. But it's hunting skill is an instinct because it's not basically learnt.
But the issue of the parrot committin suicide is an instinct and not thinking because all parrots will commit suicide in that same position. It didn't have to see it's grandpa do it before it knws dt's the position for it.
And the issue of the parrot imitating your voice is thinking because no two parrot's voice will imitate your voice alike
In my own opinion, they do the two. Let knw stinkin scientist who can't enter an animal's head tell me useless and baseless things. How do they knw they aint thinking? Fucckit!
Re: Do Animals Think?? by rash47(m): 3:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
Between lions and nigerian leaders: A lion in the jungle only hunt nd kill when she's hungry, wen well fed she only taunt and roar at its prey inorder to re-affirm its dominance,d lion never kills for fun. But a nigeria leader wen well fed even with billions stashed away in foreign account will still competes with d ordinary fellow for thousands of naira contrcat, if possible kill u join.

So lion thinks...atleast for elimination of wastages nd greed unlike our dealers.

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by manny4life(m): 3:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
Are humans not animals (in a different class - mammals), don't you think?
Re: Do Animals Think?? by greatgod2012(f): 3:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
i dont know, im not an animal!

J o k i n g
Re: Do Animals Think?? by valicious1(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2012
2sa2:
The highlighted quote cannot be correct i will tell u why, we got our dog about 4 months ago, for the first 3 weeks, it wasn't friendly atal, it (she) would bark and bark and bark, until she realized that we are her new masters. The point i'm trying to make is that animals think, she was able to know that these are not enemies, they feed me, bathe me, e.t.c. I think its more than instinct for animals to act the way they do.
I once had a bullmastiff that appeared playfull but one morning as I was about feeding it, the basta.rd dog bit da hell outta my hand. I had to sell it off immediately. Some years ago I read in one of the dailies about a dog that bit its owner's baby to death. Can you as a human being that thinks do such a thing?
Re: Do Animals Think?? by searay(m): 4:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
Some animals can think, others cannot think.
Animals like Boko Haram can't think.

1 Like

Re: Do Animals Think?? by omodapson(m): 4:07pm On Sep 26, 2012
Why are some regarded as intelligent? Me believe that thinking is an exclusive right of intelligent beings. Therefore, animals think but the degree at which they do it varies.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by fairybee(f): 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
Kslib: No,animals dont think.. If not,how can a sane rat burst five bags of garri i bought for my father-inlaw.. What pains me is that i had to go all the way to ijebu to get it.
oh oh...and those crazy mosquitoes that sing before biting me...so annoying
Re: Do Animals Think?? by garripack: 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2012
[size=29pt]GO AND ASK UR DOG, GOAT , FOWL, UR RAT, COCKROACH WAT RUBBISH [/size]
Re: Do Animals Think?? by fairybee(f): 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Again, The Question sounds crazy in the first place. When you ask "DO animals think?" Have you forgotten that human beings are animals ? Yes, we think. And everything with brain, thinks. Thoughts are ethereal signals from the ethereal seat of the brain called the mind. All animals think, but degree of thoughts is what sets humanoids apart and even then, some humans thinker faster, better and more coherent than others, its why we have rating called IQ grin
by animals, I'm sure the OP meant lower animals
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Benito69(m): 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals do think, but it may be limited to the essentials such as migration, mating, building nests, finding prey, escaping from predators, sensing danger and in some cases conducting complex tasks depending on training. However they do not differentiate between good or bad, but only act on instinct.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
valicious1:
I once had a bullmastiff that appeared playfull but one morning as I was about feeding it, the basta.rd dog bit da hell outta my hand. I had to sell it off immediately. Some years ago I read in one of the dailies about a dog that bit its owner's baby to death. Can you as a human being that thinks do such a thing?

Bros I hail oh. So mothers that drown their babies nko? Husbands that batter and kill their wives nko? Choi.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Foxybone(m): 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
Suprisingly, I might get my arse banned but I go still talk am...

My dog ate the garri I prepared and drank the soup, I came back and when the dog saw me, instead of the usual hug, ran and hid in a corner. Even the dog knew that the price of garri had gone up.... How do you classify that now INSTINCT

2 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by methodman(m): 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
@ poster...Do u think?
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Emary(f): 4:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
I have raised close to 20 dogs in my life, have had a pet parrot, lived with a cat during youth service, kept pet rabbits, goldfish and turtles. I can categorically tell you that the two dogs I have at the moment have the intelligence of a 2-3yr old without the speech. They know when I go out and come in and all the corners of our building. They understand several words including sit, stand, come, up, fetch, stop it, move and bye-bye. If I shout bye-bye from anywhere within their hearing, they will run to me to ensure I don't leave them alone. They have toys they play with and share taking turns to do. They understand that they should respect each other when eating so if I put food in a bowl, one will eat first while the other waits. They know when anyone is in pain and will come to lick the person to comfort them. They also observe people's behaviors to distinguish if they are trustworthy of predatory before approaching them. There was a day I bought sugarcane when one of them was a 3month old puppy so I gave him a piece. He obviously loved it because in a few minutes, he came back to sit beside me looking at me to give him more. When I ignore him for a while, he did something that astonished me. He got up on his hind legs and used his left paw to tap my thigh twice. I gave him a piece and he left. When he finished it, he repeated the same behavior and kept doing it for about six times till there was no more sugar cane between us. This was something I never taught him and since I had him since about 6wks of age, no one else could have taught him.

The cat during my youth service knew when I was around and when I traveled, she would go else where. My parrot lived on the balcony and could see from the bus-stop from up there. As soon as he sighted me coming from school in my uni days, he would start repeating the words I had taught him, songs and my name. The goldfish and turtles recognized me and would raise their heads for me to stroke if I came near the tank and I'm the only one they did this for.

There are so many incidents that show me they think. The truth is that they may not have our level of intelligence but they have other types. Can you detect smell like a dog or swim like a dolphin. In short, I thank God, He didn't give them the most destructive of all human vices, the spirit of greed. They live in the moment though some may save food for a rainy day but apart from that they are just glad to be alive and carefree. You've got to admire that.

4 Likes

Re: Do Animals Think?? by Godmann(m): 4:36pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: I have raised close to 20 dogs in my life, have had a pet parrot, lived with a cat during youth service, kept pet rabbits, goldfish and turtles. I can categorically tell you that the two dogs I have at the moment have the intelligence of a 2-3yr old without the speech. They know when I go out and come in and all the corners of our building. They understand several words including sit, stand, come, up, fetch, stop it, move and bye-bye. If I shout bye-bye from anywhere within their hearing, they will run to me to ensure I don't leave them alone. They have toys they play with and share taking turns to do. They understand that they should respect each other when eating so if I put food in a bowl, one will eat first while the other waits. They know when anyone is in pain and will come to lick the person to comfort them. They also observe people's behaviors to distinguish if they are trustworthy of predatory before approaching them. There was a day I bought sugarcane when one of them was a 3month old puppy so I gave him a piece. He obviously loved it because in a few minutes, he came back to sit beside me looking at me to give him more. When I ignore him for a while, he did something that astonished me. He got up on his hind legs and used his left paw to tap my thigh twice. I gave him a piece and he left. When he finished it, he repeated the same behavior and kept doing it for about six times till there was no more sugar cane between us. This was something I never taught him and since I had him since about 6wks of age, no one else could have taught him.

The cat during my youth service knew when I was around and when I traveled, she would go else where. My parrot lived on the balcony and could see from the bus-stop from up there. As soon as he sighted me coming from school in my uni days, he would start repeating the words I had taught him, songs and my name. The goldfish and turtles recognized me and would raise their heads for me to stroke if I came near the tank and I'm the only one they did this for.

There are so many incidents that show me they think. The truth is that they may not have our level of intelligence but they have other types. Can you detect smell like a dog or swim like a dolphin. In short, I thank God, He didn't give them the most destructive of all human vices, the spirit of greed. They live in the moment though some may save food for a rainy day but apart from that they are just glad to be alive and carefree. You've got to admire that.

Good thoughts
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Adanyebe(m): 4:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
I JUST ASKED MY DOG THE SAME QUESTION AND I GOT NO REPLY..... SO WHAT DO WE DO? undecided
Re: Do Animals Think?? by Dsage1: 4:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Again, The Question sounds crazy in the first place. When you ask "DO animals think?" Have you forgotten that human beings are animals ? Yes, we think. And everything with brain, thinks. Thoughts are ethereal signals from the ethereal seat of the brain called the mind. All animals think, but degree of thoughts is what sets humanoids apart and even then, some humans thinker faster, better and more coherent than others, its why we have rating called IQ grin

Exactly what I want to say. Some people forgot we are animal too, a living creature like other animals.

We are different just because our level of thinking is superior compare to other living things. Animals too are thinking.
Re: Do Animals Think?? by emuobo7: 4:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
Animals don't think cos my friend called billy goat don't think at all
Re: Do Animals Think?? by mcevans1(m): 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
masterpiecer: ^hmmm, nice ?tion.
i would like to believe dat animals do think.
its only dat it may vary in percentage in various animals, animals like, cats, elephants, dogs, snakes, parrots, etc

Elephant
Elephants r prominent with very strong memories, an elephant never forgets, an elephant can remember events as old as 20yrs!, that why they always return to the burial place of their parents or companion to die. They r very good at recalling memories, and that can only be done by thinking.

Cat
Cats r famous for neatness, stealth(during preying), and sociality, when a cat is preying on a rat, the level of stealth it exhibits is stunning, sometimes it can stay still for minutes without an ounce of movement, in those moments, its actually contemplating its next move, meaning its thinking its next move.

Dogs
Dogs r exceptional, there is a whole lot about dogs, i have actually watched a video clip about a dog dat knows maths!, yeah maths. Simple addition n subtraction ?tions where asked without any sign language, and she would answer by tapping her foot the number of times the answer!, amazing!(if u doubt, i can send u d clip)

Parrots
Be very scared of parrots, do u know dat a parrot can commit suicide?, yes it does, a parrot would commit suicide if u starved it for a long time, what it does is to hang its claws on the roof of its cage and allow its head to hang downwards, eventually dying in that position. A parrot would also continually pluck off its red feather anytime it grows out, that is if it sees u pluck out a grown feather off its tail, thats why they always cover its face with a piece of cloth whenever the plucking is done.

there r so many animals, like monkeys, dolphins(dolphins r d only mammals dat have s e x 4 fun jst like humans), gorilas, u mention.

Please send me a clip of the dog doing maths grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reading Habits You Shouldn’t Take Into The New Year / Best Books You've Read This Year? / Death To Baddos. Death To The Bees By Akíntayo Akínjídé

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.