Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target (38882 Views)

Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by JimmyBoy1: 6:17am On Aug 27, 2012
This banking na bulshit walahi.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 27, 2012
Jimmy Boy: This banking na bulshit walahi.

So I was banned because I asked how the price og garri was faring in the market? This is so pathetic! Seun and his retar.deenish mods that was not fair!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Ivynwa(f): 7:07am On Aug 27, 2012
Did the dead bankers wait to die before they quit the bank job? I didn't! I got plenty of that pressure and heaving down on one to go get millions for fr*aking Nigerian banks, I abandoned them and their freaking job in time enough. Morning meeting in the banks can as well be renamed pressure/hypertension/abuse meeting because those are what you will be getting during the meeting. It doesn't stop there too, some fr*aking rich bank customers will be wanting to use the trap the bank set for you in the name of target to take you to bed.

One of the best customers the branch of the bank that I worked in had then stopped running his account because I refused to sleep with him and what will you get from your manager when such stops bringing in the millions for them? Pressure,insults, threats! It does not matter to them if the customers are giving you s*xual harrassment, to them you better sleep with these customers and bring them the millions that they need. I quit in time enough and that is one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 27, 2012
Ivynwa: Did the dead bankers wait to die before they quit the bank job? I didn't! I got plenty of that pressure and heaving down on one to go get millions for fr*aking Nigerian banks, I abandoned them and their freaking job in time enough. Morning meeting in the banks can as well be renamed pressure/hypertension/abuse meeting because those are what you will be getting during the meeting. It doesn't stop there too, some fr*aking rich bank customers will be wanting to use the trap the bank set for you in the name of target to take you to bed.

One of the best customers the branch of the bank that I worked in had then stopped running his account because I refused to sleep with him and what will you get from your manager when such stops bringing in the millions for them? Pressure,insults, threats! It does not matter to them if the customers are giving you s*xual harrassment, to them you better sleep with these customers and bring them the millions that they need. I quit in time enough and that is one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

Now that is exactly what I'm talking about. Anyone who chooses to die on the job or - worse still retain the job by sleeping with countless Alhajis and Chiefs for deposits - should blame herself ONLY and not the bank. As long as one has the option of resigning, this should be a no-brainer.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by timilehing(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2012
Oh! Now i c Y they withhold my money for am unrequested ATM
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Ekowise(m): 8:13am On Aug 27, 2012
Hmmmmmmmm!........ Nigerian Banks!
More on the way.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by tushbobo(m): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2012
Even those bankers who do not die suddenly are dying slowly.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by maclatunji: 9:10am On Aug 27, 2012
This story has increased my blood pressure. I know some of my course mates that ended-up in access bank after graduation. I don't talk to them but I wonder if they are under the same kind of pressure. I thank God I am not working in a bank, it is tough were I stand too but it is better to build slow and steady than all of this high-octane life that many young professionals are forced to live.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Paentera(m): 9:16am On Aug 27, 2012
chillbabe: 7 Access Bank Marketing staff dies of Hypertension in weeks

August 24th, 2012 by newsacross

We should see in every prostitute an accusing finger pointing firmly at society as a whole. Every love-vendor, every partner in prostitution, turns the knife in this festering and gaping wound that disfigures the world. In desperate bid to increase its capital base, Access Bank, like love-vendor, has resorted to numerous unethical practices. In desperate bid to remain in business, set unrealistic targets for their female staff insisting that they either live up to expectations or lose their jobs.

A huge number of female bankers have either lost their jobs due to non-compliance or kept the jobs by embracing what has now been tagged ‘corporate prostitution.’ While some of them have died of heart-attack. Access Bank, we hear, has even gone a step further by buying official cars for some of the ladies who go about in skimpy revealing dresses to seduce high net-worth ‘customers’ to make deposits. This ‘trade’ has been so mastered by some ladies that they don’t have to fix a date or a venue for the exploitation, as they have ‘ready-made package’ for randy depositors who wish to explore the spontaneity aspect of the business.

Aig Imoukhuede led bank has literally turned the female bankers to prostitutes and they make no pretence about it. Those who could not stand the heat are always advised to get of the system and look for jobs elsewhere.

Sadly, however, one of the female marketers, Solabomi Olugbemi of Retail Business Unit at Simbiat Abiola branch of Access Bank, died early this morning. She had being on admission for over two weeks. Her Friends and co-workers who visited her said she confided in them that she had being under a lot of stress because of Deposit Mobilization mandate (OJC) Operation. Just because the Divisional Director gave them an ear-pulling warning early this year to raise cheap funds for the bank on N1 trillion in 6months. Solabomi lost her life because of bad accounts she inherited from a product called Auto-online (Car Loan) coupled with the incident of one of her customers withdrawing 200million naira from his account which threw her balance sheet to negative.

We also gathered from an insider in the bank that Solabomi collapsed on the last day of OJC target deadline because she was unable to maintain a huge demand deposit balance. She was immediately rushed to Jolade hospital in Gbagada, Lagos but she was later taken to Military hospital in Ikoyi, Lagos where she was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Young and jovial Solabomi (29 years old) who was married with 3 little children and a lovely husband died early this morning. Sources also confirmed that over 60% of access Bank staff are highly hypertensive and run the risk of heart attacks in their young age.

http://www.newsacross.com/7-access-bank-marketing-staff-dies-of-hypertension-in-weeks/

She was 36 not 29. She also passed way on Friday morning not on Sunday.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by naturalwaves: 9:33am On Aug 27, 2012
lastpage: (Contd)

The funny thing is that some of the most guilty Executive Management staff are those that have worked overseas (in Europe and America) and know you can NEVER treat a staff (not even some illegal job seeker) in this manner and get away with it.
They enjoyed being treated as a human-being, with dignity and respect, yet they treat fellow citizens/employees in Nigeria, like animals!

*The government must take serious action against these employers who treat their staff like slaves.
*Labor laws must be rigorously enforced for all (employer and employees)
*The Labor court must make itself more accessible to aggrieved employees (through publicity/enlightenment on employee rights and duties)
*The labor court/arbitration body must act and determine labor disputes swiftly and decisively.
Government needs to seriously address a situation where a few "executives" steal and rape a company into "financial distress", only for the lower cadre staff to suffer and pay the price. Such Management Executives needs to face the full weigh of the law under 'financial crimes'.

Any H.R worth his or her salt should know that your "employees are your greatest asset" and their well-being is the company's well-being.

Lastpage!

I couldn't quote all so I decided to quote d LASTPAGE smileybut I must say thank U so much for d time U took to write d very informative and educative article of urs.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by gabriel74: 9:48am On Aug 27, 2012
fyneguy: she's on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/solabomi.olugbemi

This is terrible

I added her, she will accept?
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Paentera(m): 10:01am On Aug 27, 2012
gabriel74:

I added her, she will accept?

Obviously you're a low life.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Yaya6: 10:52am On Aug 27, 2012
alaoeri: As far as am concerned if the story is true she kill herself why 'll some have hypertension @ 29 just because u doesn't meet a target & afraid of loosing her job now that she have lost her life who is gonna cater for kids, she fail τ̲̅ȍ realise that loosing a job isn't the end of life in as much as there's life there's hope, now she's göne nö hope nothing, just pity the kids she left behind.

I agree with u bro. I don't know why a lot of people still take job as the ultimate thing in life, thereby jeopardizing their health, family, religion and what have u. I really like this thread cos is going to serve as deterrent to others.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Chirolechick: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2012
Benswaggy: Then, if I'm her husband, I'll sue access bank for a 1 trillion naira damage.

well said
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by sammhi(m): 11:24am On Aug 27, 2012
The lady is not serious. why loose sleep over a job? is the Imoguede losing sleep over the job? why u?
so if she does not work in the bank, life has ended..... now she has ended her life prematurely. i just felt pity for her kids and spouse.
but why would any sane husband allow the wife to do that sort of work?Nigerians and rthe craze for wealth.i dont blame the Bank joo...everyone has the right to model how ur life should go.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by lastpage: 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
naturalwaves:

I couldn't quote all so I decided to quote d LASTPAGE smileybut I must say thank U so much for d time U took to write d very informative and educative article of urs.
Thank you for the compliment, the pleasure is mine.
I hope we can all come together and put pressure where it is needed otherwise (legislative arm of government), "working environment" is just going to get worse.

Lastpage!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by buJu234: 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
i think its high time Nigerians workers/graduates esp. those working in banks right now...

YOU CAN BECOME A SELF MADE MILLIONAIRES WITHOUT WORKING IN THE BANKING SECTION or IN OTHER JOBS THAT ARE LIKE HELL...

all wht you need to do its jst b smart.

Nigeria is a blessed country; blessed with not Natural resource but with A YOUNG VIBRATE BUYING POPULATION but her people dont knw. learn to make ur millions 4rm Nigeria and groove it outside Nigeria.

Simplest thing is this:-

JUST SELL 1million pdts and make 100 naira each ... u re made 4 life in Nigeria
or sell 100,000 pdts and make 1,000 naira each..
better still 10,million pdts and make 10 naira each.

but the greatest problem of Nigerians; is that Nigerians hardly sit down; think and design a product (pdt) or services that can draw people to
come and buy...

all what most Nigerians do is copy copy copy other peoples pdts or businesses...

THIS IS WHY U SEE MASS UNEMPLOYMENT; and the bank MDs knw these stuff....
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by adoken: 3:59pm On Aug 27, 2012
It's quite unfortunate but we need a reversal of perspective:
Read "The Mystery of Banking' by Murray N. Rothbard" and your thinking about Banking, Banks and Bankers will never remain the same!
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by TalkingBird: 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
alaoeri: As far as am concerned if the story is true she kill herself why 'll some have hypertension @ 29 just because u doesn't meet a target & afraid of loosing her job now that she have lost her life who is gonna cater for kids, she fail τ̲̅ȍ realise that loosing a job isn't the end of life in as much as there's life there's hope, now she's göne nö hope nothing, just pity the kids she left behind.

True talk!
It is instructive to learn from this:

(Matthew 6:25-32) 25 “On this account I say to YOU: Stop being anxious about YOUR souls as to what YOU will eat or what YOU will drink, or about YOUR bodies as to what YOU will wear. Does not the soul mean more than food and the body than clothing? 26 Observe intently the birds of heaven, because they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses; still YOUR heavenly Father feeds them. Are YOU not worth more than they are? 27 Who of YOU by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span? 28 Also, on the matter of clothing, why are YOU anxious? Take a lesson from the lilies of the field, how they are growing; they do not toil, nor do they spin; 29 but I say to YOU that not even Sol′o·mon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. 30 If, now, God thus clothes the vegetation of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much rather clothe YOU, YOU with little faith? 31 So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ 32 For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For YOUR heavenly Father knows YOU need all these things.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by TalkingBird: 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
buJu-234:
i think its high time Nigerians workers/graduates esp. those working in banks right now...

YOU CAN BECOME A SELF MADE MILLIONAIRES WITHOUT WORKING IN THE BANKING SECTION or IN OTHER JOBS THAT ARE LIKE HELL...

all wht you need to do its jst b smart.

Nigeria is a blessed country; blessed with not Natural resource but with A YOUNG VIBRATE BUYING POPULATION but her people dont knw. learn to make ur millions 4rm Nigeria and groove it outside Nigeria.

Simplest thing is this:-

JUST SELL 1million pdts and make 100 naira each ... u re made 4 life in Nigeria
or sell 100,000 pdts and make 1,000 naira each..
better still 10,million pdts and make 10 naira each.

but the greatest problem of Nigerians; is that Nigerians hardly sit down; think and design a product (pdt) or services that can draw people to
come and buy...

all what most Nigerians do is copy copy copy other peoples pdts or businesses...

THIS IS WHY U SEE MASS UNEMPLOYMENT; and the bank MDs knw these stuff....

You just got me thinking on what I have not done write. I have always tot that I should be able to get 5 naira from every one crossing my end and then progress from there. May be I become lazy in my tot process or I abandoned it some where.
Thanks for reminding me.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by monosetale: 4:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
sissa: Dis coutry is 2 bad,if nt because of dere no job in dis coutry bank is nt a gud job.May God av marcy us,so dat wil cearate more job wit marcy 4 our youth or uncoming leader.
I feel U̶̲̥̅̊, I feel U̶̲̥̅̊, but ur english fit kill any uncoming banker oh
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by vislabraye(m): 5:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
ocelot2006:

Yes it's extremely dangerous. That's why it's called the silent killer.

Serial killer actually.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by vislabraye(m): 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
I've read some mean comments. Some people saying that its not by force to work. If she doesn't agree let her resign.

If she does, that wouldn't solve the illicit practices of such banks. Its not only banks, mostly one man business is usually like that. They have no structure, anything goes. Some bosses like Adenuga slap employees as they like. In civilized world you can't even slap your house boy cos he will sue you.
Pls let's try to show some empathy here. We don't know whose turn it would be tomorrow.
And who says starting a business is just like that without challenges. Eventually that's the best though.
However, people must be employed. Even if you start your own business, won't you employ others?
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by TalkingBird: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
I think if what I heard about the Diamond bank boss is true, then he is a model for others.
He goes after that cash himself.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by biolabee(m): 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
LAstpage superb article and this shd teach some of the kids of NL that its not by blaming the husband or saying that the person shd have resigned

however there is an implicit assumption which everyone seems to be falling for
That the job led to the High BP
This may have been a pre condition even before she got the job
She may have taken some drugs which agrravated her situation
She may have had some family/personal issues which could have been contributors also
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by naturalwaves: 6:35pm On Aug 27, 2012
lastpage:
Thank you for the compliment, the pleasure is mine.
I hope we can all come together and put pressure where it is needed otherwise (legislative arm of government), "working environment" is just going to get worse.

Lastpage!

Exactly! U've said it all.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by garba(m): 1:47am On Aug 28, 2012
this is neo-slavery. is this where we are heading? So sad.......
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by mapet: 7:20am On Aug 28, 2012
If the writers of this rubbish have decided to be irresponsible and infantile, let's not gratify thier stupid reportage.
1. If the story is true, Access bank is well within their right to DEMAND that their workers improve their performances, increase their targets and stuffs like that. It is what every sane business do.
2. What medical report linked the stress she went through at work with the cause of her death other than what the alledge whistle blower claimed she told her collegues before she died.
3. This looks like a low budget Nollywood script.
4. On issues of pressure on women, please come off it. There is no pressure much more than what an individual commits to.
5. My candid opinion is, if the job is too stressful for ones health, please quit that job. When you get paid fat salaries, it is not national cake. It is for you to deliver. I know of husband that told their wives to resign and set them up with supermarket or travelling to Dubai, US, Turkey, Italy and so on to buy and sell.

1 Like

Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by jpphilips(m): 9:48am On Aug 28, 2012
berem: whaaat! Did I just read your comment? What makes it a fact? Did you actually conduct a survey to come to your conclusion? This is serious!
shocked

most banks use collective retainer ship clinics, the doctors will tell you that most of them are hypertensive, they even come for treatments there. visit and see for yourself,
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by AjanleKoko: 9:57am On Aug 28, 2012
mapet: If the writers of this rubbish have decided to be irresponsible and infantile, let's not gratify thier stupid reportage.
1. If the story is true, Access bank is well within their right to DEMAND that their workers improve their performances, increase their targets and stuffs like that. It is what every sane business do.
2. What medical report linked the stress she went through at work with the cause of her death other than what the alledge whistle blower claimed she told her collegues before she died.
3. This looks like a low budget Nollywood script.
4. On issues of pressure on women, please come off it. There is no pressure much more than what an individual commits to.
5. My candid opinion is, if the job is too stressful for ones health, please quit that job. When you get paid fat salaries, it is not national cake. It is for you to deliver. I know of husband that told their wives to resign and set them up with supermarket or travelling to Dubai, US, Turkey, Italy and so on to buy and sell.

This is a bit harsh.
The story may be a bit exaggerated, but banking work in Nigeria is high-octane. Especially for the guys working as 'marketers', chasing deposits all over town.
We should show some sympathy, especially as human life is involved. The husband may not be buoyant enough to support his wife not working.
Re: 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2012
chaircover: Very sad indeed.

Last week, I was speaking to a banker and he confided that his salary was just under 50K but he has been told to go and raise 10 billion Naira. He told me stories of mangers making them stand on tables and calling them all sorts of names.

Seriously though, people cant have their cake and eat it and one has to decide what is more important to them; their health and wellbeing or much lesser pay and peace of mind although i find it hard to believe that some bankers are being paid so little in exchange for so much work.

Some bankers actually earn around N50k. It all depends on your qualification(OND, HND or BSC), and the mode of your employment (Core staff or Contract staff).

That is one of the worst jobs anybody should do in Nigeria. Man or woman. The stress level is too high on a continuous basis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dehlia Umunna Appointed Clinical Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (Photo) / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.