Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,283 members, 7,780,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:31 PM

UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians (13090 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Mobbed By Nigerians At London Resturant / Iweala’s Latest Jobs Raise Concern Over Abuse Of Office And Conflict Of Interest / #PHOTO Boko Haram Fights With Snakes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Biggyd2: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
UK Will Not Tolerate Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians

The United Kingdom has said it will no longer tolerate abuse of its National Health Service, NHS, by Nigerian visitors after a Nigerian woman reportedly flew to the UK to have her baby in a British hospital.

The unnamed Nigerian woman was alleged to have received treatment totalling £10,000 but returned to the country after having had her child without paying anything.

United Kingdom ministers said the Government would not tolerate abuse of the NHS.

London Evening Standard said UK Ministers had warned that gvernment would not tolerate abuse of the NHS by foreign visitors after the Nigerian flew into their country so that she could have her baby in a British hospital.

The ministers’ anger came a year after one Bimbo Ayelabola, a Nigerian, who gave birth to quintuplets in UK ,was embroiled in a residency row over her extended stay there, despite the fact that she was a visitor.

Ayelabola, 33, reportedly took a fertility drug (Clomid) overdose in order to aid conception after losing her very first pregnancy. As soon as she found out she was pregnant, the woman allegedly relocated to the UK to be able to take the needed rest outside of the hustling and bustling of Lagos.

In UK, she underwent a scan which revealed she was expecting 4 babies in the first instance before it was discovered later during the baby delivery that there was a 5th baby. Hence, she was put on an emergency National Health Scheme, NHS, programme which as at July last year, had depleted the scheme’s purse to the tune of £200,000 ($320,000).

However, last week, Health Minister Simon Burns said that the Government was looking to tighten the rules to prevent “inappropriate” access to free hospital treatment by Nigerian and foreign visitors.

The heavily pregnant woman was said to have travelled from Lagos to Manchester because she was concerned about the standard of treatment she would receive in Nigeria.

She was said to have gone straight from the airport to Wythenshawe Hospital where she told staff that there were complications with her pregnancy.

Two midwives, two consultant urologists, a radiology consultant, two consultant obstetricians and two anesthetists were reported to have been involved in her treatment before her healthy baby was born by emergency Caesarean section last two weeks.

Prior to her discharge from hospital on Monday, staff were said to have informed her that the cost of her treatment was around £10,000 and asked her for billing details. The woman was reported to have left without paying anything.

Burns said: “We won’t tolerate abuse of our national health service. The NHS has a duty to anyone whose life or long-term health is at immediate risk but it is not there to serve the health needs of the globe. “There are comprehensive rules and procedures to charge visitors for hospital treatment but we know that the system needs to be improved. That is why we are currently reviewing those arrangements to prevent inappropriate free access to the NHS and provide a fairer more balanced system.

“Hospitals have a legal duty to recover any charges made to overseas patients. The Government has also recently amended the immigration rules so that anyone with an unpaid debt to the NHS of £1,000 or more can be refused a new visa.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/fraud-uk-to-go-tough-on-nigerians-coming-for-child-delivery/
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
pls rephrase your subject to: UK will not tolerate abuse of NHS by FOREIGNERS. as i doubt this old news has anything to do with Nigerians ONLY.

6 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Callotti: 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
Haba!
Nigerians in the UK are not protesting?
Where is 'Respect Nigeria' aka Anti-British Airways Coalition force? grin
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Callotti: 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
Oh dia! Na Double Double Post!

Let us see what will come out of this. I wish the USA will implement such against abuse of it's healthcare system too! I tire for these 'free-loaders'! A proud Nigerian should patronize Nigerian goods and services abi? cheesy
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Biggyd2: 1:52pm On Aug 27, 2012
MRbrownJAY: pls rephrase your subject to: UK will not tolerate abuse of NHS by FOREIGNERS. as i doubt this old news has anything to do with Nigerians ONLY.

I am not the author. I only gave it a head based on the first sentence of the article. Thanks though.

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
Does it affect the price of garri?
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by greall1: 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
That's money is too much.
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Freiburger(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
Make dem go sit down jare,when they were drafting their law they forgot the loopholes, they can overhaul the whole NHS rules just because of Nigerians who cares?
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by NobleAngell(f): 4:23pm On Aug 27, 2012
I trust nigerians. Anywer we go, we must show ourselves. Awoof is our logo cheesy
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
Are they now gonna be doing pregnancy test for Nigerian women @ British Embassies in 9ja b4 issuing visa? grin grin grin grin grin

Why are they complaining, how about the non-refundable Visa application they swallow? It should worth £millions every year... Do you know how many 9jas are denied visa every year and how much they swallow? because of their 'non-refundable' policy?

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by greall1: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
If it”s possible uk won't allow nigeria to enter their con”3 anymore.
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by begwong: 4:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
bbpreye: Does it affect the price of garri?
YOU FORGOT TO ADD CASSAVA BREAD BRO tongue
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2012
Always having issues with 9ja.a time will come when british nationales and foreigners wil kum to 9ja 4 medical treatment...i will see to that, God willing. They shudn't expect us to b dependent forever

3 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by gsbn1: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
Dream on!
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by locust01(m): 4:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nigerians.. I weep for u.
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by NwaNimo1(m): 4:33pm On Aug 27, 2012
NHS na '[b]N[/b]igerian [b]H[/b]ealth [b]S[/b]ervice' . . . . . So what's their problem?

No be naija we dey clean wards, dey nurse for the hospital, dey do security for car park?

Wetin de do dis british for head?

2 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Agiliti(m): 4:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Ajillo: 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2012
Why didn't they ask her to pay?
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by coogar: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2012
Biggyd2: UK Will Not Tolerate Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/fraud-uk-to-go-tough-on-nigerians-coming-for-child-delivery/

idiotic brits - why didn't they ask her to produce some sorta insurance before granting her a visa? they are busy concerned about fleecing nigerians off "non-refundable" visa fees but they neglect important issues like abusing the NHS! i hope more nigerian women with multiple birth issues continue to abuse their NHS - it serves them right, let them use part of the visa fees to pay for the bills incurred by the abscondees!

2 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
Na wah for those Nigerians disgracing Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by phreakabit(m): 4:54pm On Aug 27, 2012
[size=28pt]Yoruba. . .[/size]
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Foxybone(m): 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2012

Must you always use this garri quote

True sha... In what way does it affect the price of Garri? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by NwaNimo1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 27, 2012

It affects the price ohh . .

The fewer pregnant women travelling will result in an increase in domestic demand for garri.

This will in turn cause the price to rise if supply is not increased.

The birth of the child or quintuplets will result in more mouths to feed which further increases demand and therefore increases the price.

3 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Okijajuju1(m): 5:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
Is it just me or are all the Criminals mentioned in that article all Yorubas?!!

I think the Mods missed that and let this on to the frontpage.. grin

3 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Princek12(m): 5:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nigerians always abuse anything. Same thing here in Yankee, where Nigerians come here and give birth to their children just to have American citizenship. Worse still, they rack up tens of thousands of dollars in hospital bills and run away back to Nigeria.

Shame on all Nigerians who bring shame to our country.

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Mrchippychappy(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2012

Nigerian-born Bimbo Ayelabola, 33, travelled to Britain to give birth to quins at a cost of up to £200,000 to British taxpayers.
The wife of a wealthy businessman had two boys and three girls by Caesarean section in April last year and was in Homerton Hospital, East London, for almost two weeks.
Mrs Ayelabola, from Lagos, who had been taking a fertility drug, said at the time: ‘I had already had miscarriages and couldn’t bear the stress another pregnancy would cause. So I decided to visit my family in London.
‘I thought I would stand a much better chance of avoiding another miscarriage in a calmer place with friends and family.’
Mrs Ayelabola claimed her husband left her and returned to Nigeria after discovering she had given birth to five babies. She was given a visa to stay in Britain which runs out in December of this year.
Health tourism is thought to cost the NHS up to £200million a year.
Patients who have lived in the UK for a year get all their NHS treatment free. And emergency care at A&E and walk-in clinics is completely free for anyone.
For EU residents, their country covers the cost of other treatment. Non-EU residents get a bill.
Urgent but non-emergency treatment such as maternity care is provided regardless of residence status or ability to pay, but hospitals must take steps to recover debts.
Non-urgent treatment for chargeable overseas visitors is not supposed to go ahead without full payment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192694/Nigerian-woman-needing-Caesarean-immediately-flies-Britain-operation--costing-UK-taxpayers-10-000.html#ixzz24lTMX9c2

Just look how stup!d she looks . Why have a baby if you cannot take care of it . Abi dem think say UK na Oduduwa village? Apes

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Decryptor(m): 5:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
If Bimbo Ayelabola was an Ibo woman, this thread would have been hitting almost 8 pages now with the likes of dayokunu, Bluetoothless dog, and Rhinocerous DM and other yoruba tribal bigots crawling all over it like maggots on a cadaver. The message is a warning to all those yo-robbers and NOT Nigerians to steer clear from UK. Abi no be them full for there? mtchewwwww

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by kutchs: 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju: Is it just me or are all the Criminals mentioned in that article all Yorubas?!!

I think the Mods missed that and let this on to the frontpage.. grin

This thread would have turn to an Igbo bashing one had the lady involved being Igbo the way the one of the Igbo guy in Malaysia went. Just to say that the Yorubas are are much a disgrace to the nation as are the Igbos, Hausas, Tivs etc.

1 Like

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by free2ryhme: 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

Just look how stup!d she looks . Why have a baby if you cannot take care of it . Abi dem think say UK na Oduduwa village? Apes

Must you insult becos you want to make a point ...SMH angry
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by ojubi(m): 5:58pm On Aug 27, 2012
I don't know why people do dubious things on purpose.

She should have paid her medical bills before living the hospital or better still have her kids in an affordable hospital here in Nigeria, to avoid all this embarrasment.

Immagine how people are chewing her raw on the internet, yet the article claim she is married to a wealthy man.

I detaste embarrasment.
Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Decryptor(m): 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

No mind the ediots! If na to bash igbos, na there them go get power. Bunch of lazy, dawa-dawa smelly, loosers!

2 Likes

Re: UK Fights Abuse Of NHS By Nigerians by Jaideyone(m): 6:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
greall1: That's money is too much.
dis is the second time i'm seeing ur post abt the price of garri today. Damn!!! You're one very hungry fellow.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Nnamdi Kanu Still Our Leader, Disregard Fake News" - IPOB / Maduka Looks Good For Agu Awka. Anambra Central Traditional Rulers Endorse / 20 Directors Jostle To Replace Fired Accountant-General Of The Federation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.