Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,976 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? (2395 Views)

He Descended Into Hell.! / Scientist Who Dug Into Hell In Siberia And Recorded The Cries Of The Damned Soul / Did Jesus Really Descend To Hell After Death According To The Apostles Creed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2012
We know from Jesus’ statement to the thief that when one dies they enter the presence of God immediately. Luke 23:42 states, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.” This statement also tells us that Jesus went to His Father upon death.

Beyond this we know very little about where Jesus was for three days. One must be careful not to read too much detail into a parable or story....

The passage of Scripture most referred to by those holding to the hell theory is 1 Peter 3:18-20. “For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.” The words they point to are “in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison.” Supposedly, Jesus descended to hell and preached to lost souls. But why? Nowhere in the Bible is there any statement that a lost soul who has died can have a second chance. Did Jesus go to hell just to torment the lost souls more? There is a more reasonable interpretation of this passage.

Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but was made alive by the Spirit. The word “made alive” is passive, meaning that someone other than Jesus made Him alive.

Either Jesus was made alive by the Spirit, or in His spirit. Either way the Spirit must have been involved. Then the passage continues by telling us who these souls in prison are, they are those who did not listen to Noah (who was preaching repentance in the Spirit’s power to the world at the direction of God). Thus, the same Spirit who raised Jesus as a testimony “in order that He might bring us to God” also had spoken in Noah’s day to those souls now in prison; and they are in prison because they did not listen at the time of the preaching.

In fact, only eight people listened and were saved—”brought safely through the water.” The idea of “prison” is figurative. The Bible does indicate that lost souls are removed and restrained in Luke 16:26: “And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, in order that those who wish to come over from here to you may not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.”

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus went to hell during the three days. Actually, very little is said about what went on. The normal assumption is that Jesus’ fleshly body remained in the tomb, just as ours will remain in the grave. He went to the presence of the Father, and three days later the Spirit resurrected His body (in the same way that our bodies will be resurrected—the first-born from the dead in Col. 1:18). The difference is that God did not allow Jesus’ body to decay....

http://www.jesus.org/death-and-resurrection/the-crucifixion/did-jesus-descend-into-hell.html

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by brainpulse: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2012
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by jayriginal: 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel: He went to the presence of the Father, . . .

Nna, na wa oh.

You've confused me. What did Jesus mean when he "said" to Mary

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

Nna, na wa oh.

You've confused me. What did Jesus mean when he "said" to Mary

undecided

A good question.

I admit that this is not 100% clear to me at this moment. Allow me time to do some bible research.

However , the fact remains that there is no bible verse to suggest that Christ descended spiritually into the grave.

Facts are :

1. He committed his spirit to the father

2. His body was buried.

I will come back to the valid point you mentioned.

thanks,
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Delafruita(m): 5:44pm On Aug 28, 2012
first,those werent the words of jesus.infact the werent the words of peter.rather they were the words of sylvanus who wrote the epistles of peter.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by jayriginal: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

A good question.

I admit that this is not 100% clear to me at this moment. Allow me time to do some bible research.

However , the fact remains that there is no bible verse to suggest that Christ descended spiritually into the grave.

Facts are :

2. His body was buried.

thanks,

Fair enough.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by mkmyers45(m): 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
Delafruita: first,those werent the words of jesus.infact the werent the words of peter.rather they were the words of sylvanus who wrote the epistles of peter.
care to explain more?
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Delafruita(m): 12:58am On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45: care to explain more?
peter didnt write any of the epistles bearing his name.1peter5:12 indicates that a man by the name sylvanus wrote the epistles.some theologians have tried to claim that he wrote it while peter dictated but this falls flat in the face of the fact that sylvanus was one of paul's cronies and since peter and paul werent best buddies,its inconceivable that he will dictate his letter to sylvanus.there's also the fact that peter didnt sign the letter,sylvanus did
besides the word translated hell in the verse is hades which could be translated as grave
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 1:48am On Aug 29, 2012
frosbel:

A good question.

Facts are :

2. His body was buried.

thanks,

this is because you still have not sorted out compelely what holy spirit is and what spirit creatures are.

While the holy spirit is God power and is use by God to do all he has to do, eg bringing Adam to life(the kick starter) sustain by breath.
)

There are also spirit creature(invisible person without materia body) 1cor 15:40

the hand and legs of spirit creatures are the power God allocate to them and they can use it for whatever purpose they so wish.

Satan uses the power God allocated to him to oppose God and uses it to influence humans to do what is wrong like in Ephesians 2:2,3.

While God use his holy spirit(his power) to help human do what is good like in producing the fruitage of the spirit Galatians 5:22

the holy spirit is the most powerful force in the univers.

Being call holy signify that it is almighty God's because God is holy.

The holy spirit is God's power and does not have a mind of it's own just like your muscle or power does not have a mind of it own.

the power of God that kept Jesus alive is what he let out, and it belong to God and as such goes back to God, any hope of life again completely rest on God.

The psamist so says that God will not let him see corruption.

He was in hell/grave for three days.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 5:10am On Aug 29, 2012
Dogmatic goons even in an explicitly stated verse they are still trying to twist it to suit their whims.Frosbel oga copy and paste na waa.

I guess you are trying to google another write up to copy and paste.You really lack originality and intellectual depth
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Enigma(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2012
The phrase "he descended into hell" is most widely known from the "Apostles' Creed".

As modern translations of the Creed now shows, what is meant is in fact simply that "he descended to the dead". smiley

In another manner, Christians seen as orthodox (i.e. non-heretical) can still say Jesus suffered "hell" in His agonies on the Cross.

However all of these is totally different from the Word of Faith heresy that Jesus went to "hell" where he was tortured by the satan and demons for three days.

cool
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: Dogmatic goons even in an explicitly stated verse they are still trying to twist it to suit their whims.Frosbel oga copy and paste na waa.

I guess you are trying to google another write up to copy and paste.You really lack originality and intellectual depth

Nobody is twisting my friend.

The truth is that Jesus Christ did not descend spiritually into Hell as that will contradict scripture.

On this point anyway, no one has the absolute truth and it is does not affect our salvation.

By the way are you BORN AGAIN of the Spirit of GOD ?
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 29, 2012
I think I will go with enigma's explanation.He actually descended into the prison of the dead which I believe to be purgatory.The people involved are actually dead.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 29, 2012
[/quote]11. frosbel(m): Quote Post

chukwudi44: Dogmatic goons even in an explicitly stated verse they are still trying to twist it to suit their whims.Frosbel oga copy and paste na waa.

By the way are you BORN AGAIN of the Spirit of GOD ?[quote]

Are you sure you know the real meaning of the term born again
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 11:24am On Aug 29, 2012
Enigma: The phrase "he descended into hell" is most widely known from the "Apostles' Creed".

As modern translations of the Creed now shows, what is meant is in fact simply that "he descended to the dead". smiley

In another manner, Christians seen as orthodox (i.e. non-heretical) can still say Jesus suffered "hell" in His agonies on the Cross.

However all of these is totally different from the Word of Faith heresy that Jesus went to "hell" where he was tortured by the satan and demons for three days.

cool

The only thing i seem to see that you are having as an issue here is the concept that hell is a place of torment.
If you understand that hell is just 6ft grave and not a place of torment, all other thing will fall into place.

Translation and dictionary definition is not helping matters also.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: I think I will go with enigma's explanation.He actually descended into the prison of the dead which I believe to be purgatory.The people involved are actually dead.

Mate , there is no such thing as purgatory , this place is a figment and your imagination .

It's the lake of fire or Paradise, no in-betweens.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by mkmyers45(m): 12:38pm On Aug 29, 2012
frosbel:

Mate , there is no such thing as purgatory , this place is a figment and your imagination .

It's the lake of fire or Paradise, no in-betweens.

and he says there is and has proof to satisfy himself so?
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Frosbel,

I like your thinking but let me share with you what I found out in the bible and contrast it with what is popular today in Christendom.

Heaven is the place where God lives. It is above the sky. The old English bibles use this word interchangeable to mean the sky or the outer space or the dwelling place of God.

When people die they do not go to heaven as popularly thought in many Christian assemblies today rather they go to the underworld (or the place of the dead). Jesus himself explained that this place is divided largely into two parts. Hell and paradise. Paradise is a place of rest, comfort and peace while hell is a place of torment. You will notice that when the thief was about to die Jesus did not promise to take him to heaven rather he promised that he would meet him in paradise.

In the bible Enoch and Elijah were taken up to heaven and theologians argue Moses too must have been taken up. Whatever the case those who had gone to heaven had gone with their bodies and not just spirit. Jesus himself had to be raised to go back to heaven.

Did Jesus go to hell? The bible never said that and I would say NO. Did he go to paradise? YES he did. Everyone would either go to paradise or hell when they die. That is a fact consistent in scriptures.

Heaven (the abode of God)would remain but the bible says at the end of time God would descend to the earth and live amongst men. This may not be popular but it's exactly what the bible says
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Freksy(m): 1:28pm On Aug 29, 2012
frosbel:

Nobody is twisting my friend.

The truth is that Jesus Christ did not descend spiritually into Hell as that will contradict scripture.

On this point anyway, no one has the absolute truth and it is does not affect our salvation.

By the way are you BORN AGAIN of the Spirit of GOD ?

There are some twists! You have subtly avoided the expression: "in the spirit", as it is used at 1Peters 3:18-20 that you quoted. Also, the resurrected Jesus preached to "the spirits" and not "souls".

I think truthislight has said something worthy of consideration.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45:

and he says there is and has proof to satisfy himself so?

and where is the proof ?
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by mkmyers45(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2012
frosbel:

and where is the proof ?

maybe if you have pursued to see his proof you may have another view of the issue
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 29, 2012
belabela: Frosbel,

I like your thinking but let me share with you what I found out in the bible and contrast it with what is popular today in Christendom.

Heaven is the place where God lives. It is above the sky. The old English bibles use this word interchangeable to mean the sky or the outer space or the dwelling place of God.

When people die they do not go to heaven as popularly thought in many Christian assemblies today rather they go to the underworld (or the place of the dead). Jesus himself explained that this place is divided largely into two parts. Hell and paradise. Paradise is a place of rest, comfort and peace while hell is a place of torment. You will notice that when the thief was about to die Jesus did not promise to take him to heaven rather he promised that he would meet him in paradise.

Other than the story of Lazarus and the rich man which was a parable by the way , there is no other scripture in the entire bible to support this position.

For example in the case of Jesus's friend Lazarus, when he died and was in the tomb for 4 days he was raised by Christ. However no details were recorded about what happened in the underworld, he simply 'slept' and was awakened by Christ as an anti-type of what will happen on the day of resurrection.

"After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." - John 11:11

Matthew 27:52 The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

Mark 5:39 He went in and said to them, "Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep."

Acts 7:60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

For his spirit goes out and he returns to his earth and in that day all his thoughts are destroyed - Psalm 146:4

Three things to note with the verses I just quoted :

1. Death in the bible is often referred to as 'sleep' even by the Lord himself.

2. Only when Jesus who has the keys of the grave and death raises up the dead from of the tomb ( grave ) can they live again

3. When we die our thoughts perish, we cannot be elsewhere with out thoughts fully intact.

Therefore, those who die sleep, their thoughts perish and on the last day , they will be raised again from the dead by Christ Jesus.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 29, 2012
In the bible Enoch and Elijah were taken up to heaven and theologians argue Moses too must have been taken up. Whatever the case those who had gone to heaven had gone with their bodies and not just spirit. Jesus himself had to be raised to go back to heaven.

I beg to disagree because the bible says the following :

"No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man." - John 3:13

Did Jesus go to hell? The bible never said that and I would say NO. Did he go to paradise? YES he did. Everyone would either go to paradise or hell when they die. That is a fact consistent in scriptures.

Where is Paradise ?

How can someone be in the grave dead and asleep and yet be in Paradise ? I will address this in more detail when I get your response.

Heaven (the abode of God)would remain but the bible says at the end of time God would descend to the earth and live amongst men. This may not be popular but it's exactly what the bible says

Jesus Christ will live among Men.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 29, 2012
truthislight:

this is because you still have not sorted out compelely what holy spirit is and what spirit creatures are.

While the holy spirit is God power and is use by God to do all he has to do, eg bringing Adam to life(the kick starter) sustain by breath.
)

There are also spirit creature(invisible person without materia body) 1cor 15:40

the hand and legs of spirit creatures are the power God allocate to them and they can use it for whatever purpose they so wish.

Satan uses the power God allocated to him to oppose God and uses it to influence humans to do what is wrong like in Ephesians 2:2,3.

While God use his holy spirit(his power) to help human do what is good like in producing the fruitage of the spirit Galatians 5:22

the holy spirit is the most powerful force in the univers.

Being call holy signify that it is almighty God's because God is holy.

The holy spirit is God's power and does not have a mind of it's own just like your muscle or power does not have a mind of it own.

the power of God that kept Jesus alive is what he let out, and it belong to God and as such goes back to God, any hope of life again completely rest on God.

The psamist so says that God will not let him see corruption.

He was in hell/grave for three days.

Hi Bro, I will look into this after work today and get back to you with my understanding and logic of your commentary.

Hopefully we can all enlighten ourselves on this matter.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Emyo(m): 2:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
Enigma: The phrase "he descended into hell" is most widely known from the "Apostles' Creed".

cool
it is what it is. How does it change the minds of bokoharams in 9ja. Wel the above bold quotes is the answer
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2012
Didn’t Jesus preach to the spirits in prison?

Text in question: 1 Peter 3:19

“...by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison.”

Proof texts: 1 Peter 3:18–20

Many churches today routinely recite the Apostle’s Creed as part of their worship services. This is a standard recitation of fundamental beliefs supposedly carried down from the apostolic days. The most controversial line of the Creed, which is considered optional or flatly omitted by some of the churches that recite it, is a line that reads, “He descended into hell,” referring to Jesus in between the time of the cross and the resurrection. It is this idea—that Christ preached the gospel to the souls of the dead who are in hell—that is most commonly associated with the text in question, 1 Peter 3:19. Using this view, the spirits are immortal, disembodied souls of deceased people and the prison is eternal hellfire.

Strangely, this is not the only interpretation given to this text. Some churches teach that human beings had a pre-existence as spiritual creatures and return to that spiritual life once their bodies die. This spiritual realm after death is an additional learning ground where God continues to teach the dead about Himself. The text from Peter is used to support this idea. Stranger still, this learning ground, where apparently the spirits are in the presence of God, is called a prison.

It would seem that a text with such varying interpretations and controversy must be ambiguous in nature, or else the world’s churches would reach a consensus about its meaning. Yet, when the context of the passage is considered, it becomes unmistakably clear. When we read the verses both prior to and following the verse in question, the passage states:

“For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water” (1 Peter 3:18–20).

Truly, the passage is referring to Jesus Christ, and it does plainly say that he preached to spirits in prison. However, it also removes the guessing that leads to the conflicting interpretations. It says that Christ died but was made alive again through the Spirit of God, “by whom” He preached to spirits in prison. So we know that the one who did the preaching was actually the Holy Spirit, not Christ directly. The Spirit speaks the words given to Him by Christ (see John 16:13), and therefore is Christ’s representative (but nonetheless a distinct entity of God). We therefore know that the passage cannot mean that Jesus descended into hell to preach, because it was the Holy Spirit that did the preaching, not Jesus.

But when, and where, is this prison, and who are the spirits to whom the Holy Spirit preached the words of Christ? Verse 20 provides the answer.

The spirits “were formally disobedient.” Disobedience to God is sin. The Bible clearly states that sinners in open rebellion toward God are “slaves to sin,” or prisoners of unrighteousness (see Romans 6:16). For additional texts where prisoner imagery is used to describe the condition of sin, see Psalm 142:7, Isaiah 42:6, 7, and Luke 4:18. So the “spirits in prison” are those in rebellion against God, or sinners.

When did the Holy Spirit preach to sinners? Can we know whether these sinners were alive or dead when this occurred? The passage continues to talk explicitly about the “days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared.” The passage, in its proper context, is describing Christ’s ministry, through the person of the Holy Spirit, to reach sinners in the time of Noah, before the flood. Nowhere does the passage give us license to send Jesus to hell in between the cross and the resurrection, nor does it allow us to make the “prison” a heavenly learning ground after death. The passage is clear: the Holy Spirit preached to sinners in the days of Noah before the flood.

To further clarify this point, Peter continues his argument in verse 21 by stating:

“There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 3:21).

An antitype is a prophetic fulfillment. Peter says that, just as the eight souls were saved “through water” on the ark, in the same way we are now saved by baptism through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The water washed away the filth from the earth in Noah’s day, and the water symbolically washes away our guilt through Christ’s sacrifice. The Holy Spirit is involved in both processes: He preached to sinners to try to save them before the flood, and He preaches to us to bring us to repentance and baptism (see John 16:8, 9).

In light of this comparison to baptism, there cannot be any other meaning to the text in question except that the Spirit preached to sinners in Noah’s day. The flood is significant to the point Peter is making. Without it, any comparison to an “antitype” in baptism is meaningless. Certainly, baptism cannot be compared to the fires of hell! When we understand this meaning, it becomes clear that this text cannot be used to support any theology about death or the afterlife at all.

http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/q-and-a/id/1599/didnt-jesus-preach-to-the-spirits-in-prison.aspx
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 29, 2012
@frosbel

This is a shameful misrepresentation of an explicit bible passage.Please stop making a fool of yourself.where did you read it was the holy spirit that preached to these spirits.You just go and copy and paste from any stupid write up that meets your fancy.

Even when it was explicitly stated that this event occured during Jesus's three days in the grave,your stupid link claims it happened in the time of noah.How dogmatic can one really get?
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: @frosbel

This is a shameful misrepresentation of an explicit bible passage.Please stop making a fool of yourself.where did you read it was the holy spirit that preached to these spirits.You just go and copy and paste from any stupid write up that meets your fancy.

Even when it was explicitly stated that this event occured during Jesus's three days in the grave,your stupid link claims it happened in the time of noah.How dogmatic can one really get?

It does not have to align with the catholic church doctrine, read and comment, no need for insults.

thanks
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
This not about any catholic doctrine but rather about a misrepresentation of an explicit bible verse
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: This not about any catholic doctrine but rather about a misrepresentation of an explicit bible verse

Kindly present the portion of the article that is shameful. Besides no one is sure at the moment hence the need for discussion.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 6:33pm On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: @frosbel

can you read that 1pet 3:18,19
and show to us how it was that it was during his death that he preach to the spirit in prison?

Or was it when he was raise from the death?

If he preach to the spirit in prison during his death that means he did not die.

If he did not die why did he say father receive my spirit?

Did the father returned his spirit back to him in the grave?

What then happened for the father to resurect him?

Pls, am waiting.

The bible said that this is the condition of the dead Ecclesiates 9:5,6,10
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 6:36pm On Aug 29, 2012
chukwudi44: This not about any catholic doctrine but rather about a misrepresentation of an explicit bible verse

when you explain 1pet 3:18,19 we will know who is misrepresenting the bible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Allah/yahweh So Brutal And Vindictive? / How God Showed Me The Vision Of Rapture And Hell 1 / 18+: Meet People That Worship The Joystick In Pictures (END TIME)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.