Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease (8537 Views)

University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell / Nigerian Dr.(PIC)Who Survived Ebola Tells Her Story-Long But Interesting Read / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Germannig: 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2008
American-based Nigerian doctor discovers treatment for sickle cell anaemia       
Written by Dennis Agbo     
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 

ABAKALIKI—A United States-based Nigerian from Ebonyi State, Dr. Orji Agbai says he has found  treatment for Sickle cell anaemia and other ailments using a special food supplement called Dioscovite.
Briefing newsmen in Abakaliki on the outcome of what he referred to as a twenty four-year painstaking research effort, Dr. Agbai stated that Dioscovite is a patented dietary supplement for sickle cell anaemia, discovered by means of electron microscopy which he said shows that the active ingredient completely prevents sickling of red blood cells in the test tube.

According to him, “Dioscovite has safely prevented sickle cell painful crisis for 16 years, saved lives that had been given up for dead, by raising the hemoglobin (blood count) from 2.0 to 7.3g per cent, energizing the body, normalizing enlarged liver swollen abdomen, swollen hands and feet, and stopping painful sickle cell crisis that plagued a patient for ten months”.

The inventor noted that the food supplement has proved to be safe and effective in the support of not only sickle cell anaemia but also prostate health, breast health, colon health, diabetes, stroke control, heart health, uterine fibroids, menstrual cramps, and easier child birth.
He stressed that Dioscovite prevents what he called pneumoccocal and other infections because the active ingredient destroys pathogens (germs) by breaking the peptidglycan bonds in bacterial cell walls

Dr. Agbai maintained that Dioscovite which has yam as major component is a safe product, adding that its safety comes from the fact that the ingredients are nutrients found in staple foods eaten by over 500 million people worldwide.

“Such people consume the same amount of the nutrients as those who take the Dioscovite daily requirement. Dioscovite is so safe that double the therapeutic dose is still safe, showing that it has a high therapeutic index,” he stated.

He added that the food supplement also "converts SS to AS by restoring negative charge to SS hemoglobin enabling 6.0g SS hemoglobin to carry as much oxygen as 12.0g hemoglobin –– energizing the body!”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3962&Itemid=45

1 Like

Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Jan 02, 2008
bravo!
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by ell77(f): 4:49pm On Jan 02, 2008
If this is true then well done, see my Naija people oh!
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 02, 2008
where is his scientific paper to prove this?

I wont say bravo until this discovery ends up on the pages of Nature or Science magazine instead of the Nigerian Vanguard.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by doyin13(m): 5:16pm On Jan 02, 2008
What if it does end up on one of these 'glossies'

How many don enter these glossies that they have had to recall after discovering it killed people rather than aided them

Dont 'cynic-ate'-----------congratulate tongue

NB. That is not to say I will be taking any of the Tablets anytime soon. grin
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Germannig: 5:35pm On Jan 02, 2008
The man appears not to be fake. Please read one of his long published papers in this sicke cell thing in this link or in the attached file (PDF). Though this was long ago, but it is a pointer to what the current findings will be

http://portal.isiknowledge.com/portal.cgi?DestApp=WOS&Func=Frame&Init=Yes&SID=Z1NBL62fojBiKkl5@AI

Sickle cell affects only blacks, and not white people, so you may not find his ''discovery'' in Nature or Science (if the owners of these reputable journals do not consider it a priority, since it does not affect their population). There are also many other equally reputable medical journals eg, the LANCET.

Lets wait for the details of his recent findings before we judge him. I shall try and keep track of him.

Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Jan 02, 2008
Germannig:

The man appears not to be fake. Please read one of his long spublished papers in this sicke cell thing

http://portal.isiknowledge.com/portal.cgi?DestApp=WOS&Func=Frame&Init=Yes&SID=Z1NBL62fojBiKkl5@AI

Sickle cell affects only blacks, and not white people, so you may not find his ''discovery'' in Nature or Science (if the white owners of these reputable journals do not consider it a priority)
Lets wait for the details before we judge him.

For that statement you made there, I take back my initial BRAVO and ask that you instead find us information that actually shows this is legit and not another one of them made up stories we see from time to time. That racist statement of yours is not reason for this to be legit in any way. If you have additional information to show that this is actually real, please feel free to post for us to see.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Seun(m): 6:39pm On Jan 02, 2008
I stopped reading when I encountered the line "converts SS to AS". What a silly claim! cheesy
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by ell77(f): 6:48pm On Jan 02, 2008
Seun:

I stopped reading when I encountered the line "converts SS to AS". What a silly claim! cheesy

In theory it may be possible. It would be hard to change the genotype but the sickling of the cells is basically down to the charges of certain proteins and we designate the phenotype SS when it has this abrnormal phentoype (-ve) that causes the proteins to clump together and form a sickle shape. If there was a way of somehow changing the charge on a protein from positive to negative in this red blood cell on these proteins (in the production phase perhaps in the marrow more likely to be able to affect than when the cell is ready made) then the cells would not be sickle cells and you could designate them normally.

I know it does sound far-fetched but it would not be an impossible thing to do. They even have gene therapy for Cystic Fibrosis so this is possible. Alot of medicines we have today were discovered accidentally like Curare - tubocurarine and more. But this needs to be represented in a scienctific study - even if no one wants to publish his documents he must have his own these/journal entry detailing the methods he used and the exact results he obtained. I am gonna do a search on this.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by ell77(f): 7:23pm On Jan 02, 2008
Found some stuff on thiocyanate which i think is the active ingredient but this stuff was from 1986 and I don't really agree with it. Since then no articles have really been published on experiments in any of the journals although there has been a lot of talk. But the truth is sickle cell in general is not reported on as much as other diseases. ~This finding may be nonsense but even if it is not it is likely to take forever to come to effect. It is a very interesting hypothesis though the drug Hydroxyurea that is currently used is a drug that induces fetal heamoglobin in adults so this is a possibility and I think a mediteranean, Asian or African nation will have more of a vested interest in a treatment.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by smoothjive(m): 11:48pm On Jan 02, 2008
I like ur smarts jare Seun, convert SS to AS ko convert AS to SS ni.

I stopped reading when I saw the range of applications.

Then I started laughing when he said test tube.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by naijaking1: 3:30am On Jan 03, 2008
Germannig:

American-based Nigerian doctor discovers treatment for sickle cell anaemia
Written by Dennis Agbo
Wednesday, 02 January 2008
He added that the food supplement also "converts SS to AS by restoring negative charge to SS hemoglobin enabling 6.0g SS hemoglobin to carry as much oxygen as 12.0g hemoglobin –– energizing the body!”.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3962&Itemid=45

Snake oil seller!

The conversion of hemoglobin A to S occurs at a genetic level by the substitution of the amino acid valine for glutamic acid.

There is no way you can change this 2 types of hemoglobin from a phenotypic level.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Germannig: 10:30am On Jan 03, 2008
Kobojunkie:

For that statement you made there, I take back my initial BRAVO and ask that you instead find us information that actually shows this is legit and not another one of them made up stories we see from time to time. That racist statement of yours is not reason for this to be legit in any way. If you have additional information to show that this is actually real, please feel free to post for us to see.

If you took a course on ''Social and Economic aspects of Biotechnology'', you will understand exactly what I mean. Otherwise, you will keep grooping in the darkness of ignorance.
Re: US-based Nigerian Dr. Discovers Drug for Killer Sickle Cell Disease by Germannig: 10:31am On Jan 03, 2008
naijaking1:

Snake oil seller!

The conversion of hemoglobin A to S occurs at a genetic level by the substitution of the amino acid valine for glutamic acid.

There is no way you can change this 2 types of hemoglobin from a phenotypic level.

Thanks for telling them. Apparently some Nigerians do not know a thing about genetics and molecular biology (gene, gene expression and gene product, the protein) and all the manipulations that modern genetic methods enable. The train of contemporary knowledge has left some far behind.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Unable To Get Pregnant? / COVID-19 Update For February 28 2021 In Nigeria / Don't Remove Your Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.