Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,162 members, 7,807,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? (30769 Views)

Buhari Should Take Over Power Ministry -melaye / Fashola Can’t Run Power Ministry Like He Ran Lagos —CACOL / Okorocha, Ogbonnaya Onu Led Barth Nnaji Other Igbo Leaders To Buhari (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by floriana(m): 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2012
This na jazz o. How can a minister resign in Nigeria. Ha these umuleri and aguleri people have finally got this man in abuja! But why did he make the last trip home na? See the result now.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by obicentlis: 9:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
Maybe conflict of interest might have arisen cos Barth owes a power plant to start off soon in Aba known as geometeric power. Corruption , conflict of interest, ego, integrity protection or PDP politics might be the reason. Finger .......
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by pingpong1: 9:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
asha 80:

hmm do you think that might be the reason?i ask this because i do not think i have ever hear of a minister resigning because he has been fingered in corruption.if that is the case did gej force him to resign?if gej forced him to resign what does that say about the clamour that gej is not fighting corruption?

Yes. That is the reason. Conflict of interest.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by asha80(m): 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
Dis Guy:

I think it will be more likely as a case of him not wanting to soil his reputation, doubt GEJ will force him to resign there are several other barefaced cases that Jonathan hasnt had a say in, i mean this is perhaps this govts chance of direct impact on the lives of nigerians. this case is not even anywhere near a corruption cases-conflict of interest that wont shake off this prof.

might be true even though i still find it hard to believe ie to prevent soiling his name knowing the average nigerian.however it is either this or there is a genuine threat to his life.this is nigeria.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Boller: 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
Take note, reason why we should not expect constant power supply. Those who want constant power supply will not be given free hands to operate.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by nduchucks: 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
Nna if dem make Angel Gabriel minister or DG for naira, himself go steal sooner or later.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by asha80(m): 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
ping pong:

Yes. That is the reason. Conflict of interest.

you honestly think conflict of interest would make a nigerian minister resign especially when it seems that the president might not be on his neck.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by pingpong1: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2012
My sources have confirmed it. He was FORCED to resign.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 28, 2012
Yes,they have been trying to him.that is why he just acquired bulletproof vehicle few ago.he also increases his security votes.
asha 80: my brother i doubt that would have been enough for him to do so.i have a funny feeling that the powerful diesel guys might have been threathning him.i might be wrong though.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 28, 2012

Professor Barth Nnaji has become a high profile casualty in the crisis in Nigeria’s power sector as President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday “accepted” his resignation as the Minister of Power with immediate effect. The development opened a new chapter in the standoff between unions of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and the federal government over modalities for fully privatizing the electricity sector.

A statement by Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati said President Jonathan thanked Prof. Nnaji “for his services to the nation under the present administration and wishes him well in his future endeavours.”

Nnaji’s resignation comes barely two weeks after the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) demanded his resignation citing “vituperation on the workers in the sector. NUEE also accused the then minister of engaging in fraudulent activities in the Power Sector and misinforming Nigerians to the extent of putting them under tension unnecessarily. shocked shocked shocked

The union had also demanded explanation from Nnaji in connection with his role or activities in relation to issues like:

N395m collected from PHCN allegedly for the Media, for 3 months; << 40-man laptop squad no doubt got some rich pickings from this largess grin >>
N280m collected from PHCN allegedly for Nigeria Army;
N200m collected from PHCN allegedly for Unknown Project in the Power Ministry;
N86m collected from PHCN allegedly for a bullet -proof vehicle;
N3m collected from PHCN and donated to Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT); and
Employment of 20 people in Enugu Zone of PHCN who are his kith and kins as staff two years after the closing date of casual employment and close of PHCN biometrics exercise.

“He should also explain to Nigerians why we have been collecting Pension and Gratuity from 1972 till June 2012 based on 25 percent, and why his reform tends to short change the workers,” the statement said, adding that the development confirms the fears of workers in the power sector that Nnaji’s reform is aimed at strangulating workers.” A statement by the union leadership had said.
source
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by 2fyn: 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2012
PHCN todays prayer was effective,God really answered them cry cry
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by ismhab(m): 9:32pm On Aug 28, 2012
GOOD RIDDANCE.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 28, 2012
Down goes the halo...

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria accepted today the resignation of Barth Nnaji, the hitherto Minister of Power.

The resignation is reportedly connected to the revelations first premiered by Business Day which linked the former cabinet member to an underground bid for Afam Power Station.

Nnaji revealed to the National Council on Privatiation last Friday that his company, Geometrics, was a shareholder in a company that bid for the Afam Power Station.

Afam Power Station has an installed capacity of 775 Megawatts which is 18% of the country’s current total power generation.

The revelation came as a surprise, although many Nigerians were already aware that the privatiation of PHCN was simply an unbundling of the country’s power assets to the cabal.

However the undoing of Mr. Nnaji may have come about as a result of the dispute between himself as minister and PHCN employees.

The PHCN employees were embittered by Nnaji’s refusal to pay them adequate terminal benefits running into hundreds of billions of Naira. The conflict-of-interest being he would not want an asset he was planning to acquire to be hugely indebted to the soon-to-be disengaged PHCN staff.

More details as they emerge.
Source
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Ogetogeo(m): 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2012
ndu_chucks: Nna if dem make Angel Gabriel minister or DG for naira, himself go steal sooner or later [color=#990000][/color]

What has Angel Gabriel got to do with this?
Nigeria is now naira in your deluded brain abi?
What did Prof. Barth Nnaji steal from you?

Daft!

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by werepeLeri: 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2012
Suddenly Barth Nnaji is a good man in the eyes of NairaLand folks. Only few days ago they were shouting him down and calling him a lier for saying power has improved.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
2013 is just around d corner and d guy no wan make d lie lie about improved power supply catch up wit am cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy smart move, atleast you don steal wetin you fit steal! bye bye

next!

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by banjul01: 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
Nnaji is a devil incarnate.How can a man cause serious confusion among the entire power holding workers of the whole federation.All his cacus will soon follow him.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by dayokanu(m): 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
Was it that Nnaji was incompetent or Jonathan is clueless?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2012
Nigeria has once again resigned to epileptic power supply.
Who the hell sacked or forced Nnaji to resign? (Red Eye Mode).
Generator Importers and Generator Making Companies food is ready. I know you guys are 70% behind why Nigeria's electricity has not been stable. I will unleash 'Sango' to all of you. FMJ!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by pingpong1: 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2012
werepeLeri: Suddenly Barth Nnaji is a good man in the eyes of NairaLand folks. Only few days ago they were shouting him down and calling him a lier for saying power has improved.

He is involved in shady deals. Power obviously improved because his companies or interests were involved.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
for christ sake, this is the only dude in the most dead sector who still performs,
performs better than that i-diot in power

Why do they want to ruin Nigeria at all cost?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Chubhie: 9:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
The more i look my country the less i understand...Looking forward to some chain reactions as the days goes by.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by asha80(m): 9:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
banjul01: Nnaji is a devil incarnate.How can a man cause serious confusion among the entire power holding workers of the whole federation.All his cacus will soon follow him.

abeg keep quiet.phcn have always be a confused but cash cow entity.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Mannylex(m): 9:40pm On Aug 28, 2012
cheddarking: Wow...This could actually affect the price of Garri in the Market! shocked shocked
My friend shut up.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by idupaul: 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
One sad day for light and a great year for darkness .. I finally agrree that Nigeria is Hell
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by agabaI23(m): 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
Hmmm I guess it may have to do with conflict of interest and or his management of PHCN workers
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by tatosh: 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
The cabal @ work again. The only performing minister in GEJs cabinet has resigned. Just when the country takes one leap forward we take another 3 jumps back again.*smh*
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by profola2be(m): 9:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
JaaizTech: Hmmmm. Nigeria o Nigeria. Light was beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel; but they had to extinguish it. Lets wait and see... It is either Nnaji has soiled his hands in corruption or the govt. is just not ready for change and Fresh air. I await Sahara reporters investigative reports on this matter

my brother,even if Nnaji deeps his head into corruption,in asmuch as we have constant light in Nigeria,i don't give a damn.
all the former power ministers that we have in this country that were corrupt and embezzle our money,yet didn't have light,WETIN WE DO FOR THEM?

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by quiet13: 9:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
Yes..... Dey don dey go,1 by 1!!!! Dey don dey go,1 by 1!!! grin
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by asha80(m): 9:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
ping pong:

He is involved in shady deals. Power obviously improved because his companies or interests were involved.

just pray anyway that whoever that will take over from him would strive to make the power issue better otherwise we would be back to business as usual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Adegboruwa: New Police Dress Code Is Illegal And Should Be Reversed / Hunters Discover 320 PVCs In Bayelsa Forest / Army Discovers Burnt Corpses Of Policemen & Cannibalism In ESN Imo Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.