Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:37 AM

Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? (30725 Views)

Buhari Should Take Over Power Ministry -melaye / Fashola Can’t Run Power Ministry Like He Ran Lagos —CACOL / Okorocha, Ogbonnaya Onu Led Barth Nnaji Other Igbo Leaders To Buhari (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by bittyend(m): 11:51pm On Aug 28, 2012
homerac7:
bros abeg drop d argument, u dont know d things u r talking about. using Google doesnt make u an expert. pls just let ds matter rest...take on some different topics and debate, biko...

What are you on about?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by leyom234: 11:52pm On Aug 28, 2012
bittyend:

We won't enrich beyond 20%, and the plants would be located somewhere on the wasteland up north.

If Nigeria wants to join the big league and become industrialised, we definitely need to go nuclear.

Our population is too huge for dams and gas - nuclear energy is the way forward.

In the developed world, they make use of various means avaible to maximise the potentials of the country concerned.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by DisGuy: 11:54pm On Aug 28, 2012
why do people post the number of people reading a thread? STOP spamming!!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by bittyend(m): 11:55pm On Aug 28, 2012
leyom234:

In the developed world, they make use of various means avaible to maximise the potentials of the country concerned.

Why can't we do the same, since we have uranium?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by AZeD1(m): 12:00am On Aug 29, 2012
leyom234:

When Niger Dams Authority with other power generating companies where merged in late 70s and renamed NEPA, it was constitutionally stated that the new organisation would only manage existing infrastructure. This is to tell you that NEPA/PHCN does not have the constitutional responsility of building power stations but to run the existing ones. The youngest operating power station is the one at Egbin and its of the highest capacity of 1280 megawatts but it will interest Nigerians that it was built and commisioned by OBJ in 1979.

Last year when IBB clocked 70, do Nigerians remember that himself and OBJ were involved in a media outrage where one of the responses that OBJ gave IBB was that IBB was in power for 8 years yet didnt bother to build any power stations? Is that not enough for Nigerians to understand that it is the responsibility of the government to initiate power projects? OH unna think say na PHCN staff go award those NIPP projects to those Indian companies?

Yes, some power projects were commisioned last year while some will soon be commisioned but it will also interest Nigerians to learn that it was OBJ's initiated projects during the 8 years he completed in 2007. When these projects are complete, nepa/phcn staff are then brought into it to run.

30 years ago, capacity was 4000 and now its still the same while population has grown drastically. SA has a population of 50 million, they generate 50,000 megawatts while we can only generate 4000 with population of around 180 million people. By the way, has government ever blamed phcn for not generating enough ? Most recently when the Minister felt power generation improved, wasnt he try to acribe praises to himself? This should tell Nigerians that it is the responsibility of the government to build power generating stations while nepa/phcn staff are only saddled with the resoponsibilityof running them when made available by their employer.

Come to think of it, on August 27, BusinessDay reported that the minister was blasted by the vice president on his selfish approach to the privatisation thing while Thisday reported the same issue today on their front page but the likes of punch, guidian, vanguard etc would not talk about it.The minister was using them as tools of propaganda to instigate Nigerians against phcn workers so they cant afford to betray their friendship towards the sacked minister. I dey go bed joorrrr.
Egbin was commissioned in 1984.
I think ughelli power station was extended in 1991(A power station id delta had additional units added in 1991).
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Pataki: 12:01am On Aug 29, 2012
bittyend:

I'm not really conversant with Nigerian engineers/scientists in Nigeria, but I know loads in diaspora - who would willingly take up the task to go back to Nigeria, if the environment is conducive. Nigeria is trying to get into the big league, with the BRICS countries - and we've to go nuclear, if we want to achieve that. Our population is too huge for other forms of power generation. And one thing all the BRICS countries have in common is also nuclear power generation - we can't compete with the 'big boys' without it.

As for the environmental consequences, that was why I suggested that the nuclear power plants should be built on the wasteland, somewhere in the North. Climate shouldn't be a problem, if Libya did it in the past - and Algeria is also contemplating building a couple from 2020.

Smh.. Ask about me, I'm not just in the mood tonight - and I definitely don't want to turn this thread upside down.

I go hard in the paint, and assaulting people verbally is the easiest thing for me. grin

Typing from my phone is a bit tasking tonight. Too tired to hit the keyboard to type. I noted the conditional statement attached to your quote above. "If the environment is conducive." My friend the environment is not conducive. Nuclear power is not the route for Nigeria. We have not maximized the potential of hydro power sources, you are advocating for nuclear power. That is highly ridiculous.

Anyways, that is another discussion for another day. I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow. I must rest my eyes for tonight.

LOL. You want to verbally assault me? I laugh. You might want to search my previous nairaland lives and know my antecedent on this forum before you think of easily verbally assaulting me oh. grin

Goodnight sha.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by leyom234: 12:01am On Aug 29, 2012
oshyno: In as much as it pains me to see one of d best performing ministers from GEJ go,it is d best thing to do due to d conflict of interest.I wish there cud be anoda way out but form d barage of criticism of GEJ govt, he cud nt risk having a minister whose company Geometric has interest on Afam plant- one of d plants to be privatised .I know dat if d company dared won d bid, opposition wud av seen anoda opportunity to accuse GEJ of corruption.I just wish d replacement won't take us bak to square one.

You no sabi anything to refer to him as 'performing'. His zeal had been born out of selfish interest. What has he or Jonathan done during just a year that they have spent? Oh you now have 24 hrs supply? Everything has been 'make belief'. Well, so many of us are very intelligent on paper but cannot afford to combine facts and reach an obnjective conclusion.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by bamosagie(m): 12:09am On Aug 29, 2012
When will Sanusi Lamido Sanusi resign?

2 Likes

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Proxytalk: 12:20am On Aug 29, 2012
so sick and tied of this news. My litle experience in managing project shows that it doenst take much to acheive result; eg. knownig what to do, monitor and control progress etc but these small things are illusive. can gej move on from here or is he going to inuagrate a cmtt.
Anyway i will reserve my comment until nnaji speaks, but then can we have a gud replacement?? cos i ve no replacement plan for my generator since improvents in light.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by ZUBY77(m): 12:22am On Aug 29, 2012
Start coming home bart, we love you here in the coal city
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by ABJ2010: 12:25am On Aug 29, 2012
jigawatts: Resignation of power Minister (Barth Nnaji) at dis period where they are claiming improved power supply....... Hmmmm !!!!!! lipsrsealed
Same old Nigeria plutocrat scheme. Remove the performing minister, bring in a complete i$diot and get us back to square one. Shai! we done suffer.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by yeye4live(m): 12:30am On Aug 29, 2012
bamosagie: When will Sanusi Lamido Sanusi resign?
Mr 5000 wil neva resign ooh,I lent his family have 300 naira share in every 5000 u spend grin
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Dotman01(m): 12:36am On Aug 29, 2012
dayokanu: Was it that Nnaji was incompetent or Jonathan is clueless?
All of the above.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Obinoscopy(m): 12:38am On Aug 29, 2012
I'm really boiling with anger here. Our only performing minister resigns! I wonder why GEJ accepted his resignation letter. If I were GEJ I'd convince prof to stay and would give him all d necessary presidential backing.
I smell something fishy, in fact I smell roasted fish here

2 Likes

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by israelbenzion: 12:40am On Aug 29, 2012
maclatunji:

See compliment from another adoring fan. #LOL. But where are the others especially Beaf to come and explain all of this away?

Beaf has gotten a better job!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by cantell(m): 12:43am On Aug 29, 2012
Pataki:

Omo nna, have you finished selling your hacked PS3 games?

What a tool.
Lol. Oh no! You did not just say that!
What a cheap taunt!
Mehn, if you wanna diss somebody, you gotta do better than that!
You just confirmed my fears. You ain't as tough as you claim to be.
So. . .Have fun!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by thelastPope(m): 12:44am On Aug 29, 2012
CyberG:

I am sure you didn't think through your comment before making it. If indeed it was a conflict of interest, how can you say the person did a good job? It's like saying a cat that was trying outmanoeuvre other cats while pretending to protect a piece of fish he would later corner and eat all by himself did a good job providing security for the fish. Now, think again!

You should learn to argue intelligently and separate issues. That a man did poor in one area doesn't mean he cannot do well in others. That is why you are given multiple choices in an exam and judged by your average score. He did manage the process well and improved it. That he has a conflict of interest is another matter entirely and if he does, he should be condemned there. Its as simple as that. If you run a company, you will have to make these kind decisions. You might discover a staff has failed somewhere but you will not be able to fire him because he is good some other place. Not saying he should or shouldn't have resigned cos I don't know the gravity of the issues.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:44am On Aug 29, 2012
This is unfortunate.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 29, 2012
Disappointed!
Its gonna be a big setback for GEJ efforts should he fail to find a suitable replacement cos saboteurs may use that to derail the privatisation process.

But I hope Barth Nnaji resignation is for the best interest of the power sector and this country cos I wouldn't like to revert back to my abandoned generator.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by israelbenzion: 12:57am On Aug 29, 2012
Nightshift: Perhaps Aso Rock attack dogs will not allow me. Just lost a great bid for an NNPC job due to such people . So many weird people in Abuja . Too bad, it still pains me....

I know someone who stays with them. He can arrange for u to see GEJ or Madam, or a few other Ministers, plus chf of staff. But it doesn't come cheap. That's d guy's own racket and office.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by DrugDoc: 12:59am On Aug 29, 2012
Thank you Prof. Nnaji. Goodluck with Geometric Power's bid for buying power plants. We need tested, practical professionals like you to run the sector.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Genius100: 1:00am On Aug 29, 2012
Look guys, it's time to be realistic. In a country where performing ministers are a premium, a pragmatic president should be content with curtailing Barth's conflict of interest and have him carry on with the job instead of having him resign. How many people in Nigeria are as competent as Nnaji is electric generation? I hope we don't go back to square one.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with Nnaji trying to participate in the privatization process as long as there is full disclosure. If he did not fully disclose, it's a dent on his image, but he is one of the best people we have that can tackle the electricity problems.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by CyberG: 1:00am On Aug 29, 2012
thelastPope:

You should learn to argue intelligently and separate issues. That a man did poor in one area doesn't mean he cannot do well in others. That is why you are given multiple choices in an exam and judged by your average score. He did manage the process well and improved it. That he has a conflict of interest is another matter entirely and if he does, he should be condemned there. Its as simple as that. If you run a company, you will have to make these kind decisions. You might discover a staff has failed somewhere but you will not be able to fire him because he is good some other place. Not saying he should or shouldn't have resigned cos I don't know the gravity of the issues.

Well, it's better to wait for the other side of the story before we go making definitive statements. Nonetheless, my point is very simple: a conflict of interest implies that the improvement ("doing well in one area"wink served his personal purpose in order to give him mass support before his companies acquires the asset. Should that be the case, he cannot be said to have done well because it was all a ruse to get the assets in his pocket. In any case the coming days will give us more details to arrive at a conclusion.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by bjdon: 1:06am On Aug 29, 2012
Nigeria Nigeria!!! A country where...

The Oil minister is indited by the National assembly for large scale and she dose not resign

Planes fall from the sky and the Aviation minister dose not resign

National highways are in a state of total disrepair and the minster of works dose not resign

Power output rises to it's highest since independence and the Minster of Power resigns

Nigeria we hail thee

2 Likes

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 1:07am On Aug 29, 2012
israel ben-zion:

I know someone who stays with them. He can arrange for u to see GEJ or Madam, or a few other Ministers, plus chf of staff. But it doesn't come cheap. That's d guy's own racket and office.

Hope he's not a proxy representing the 1st family! grin
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by cdamsel(f): 1:14am On Aug 29, 2012
Just wen we were beginning 2 finally c changes,corruption free dis Godfathers na or take dem 2 hell wit u,make our children fit enjoy small na,ha,na wa oh.was actually liking d dude cry
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:19am On Aug 29, 2012
bjdon: Nigeria Nigeria!!! A country where...

The Oil minister is indited by the National assembly for large scale and she dose not resign

Planes fall from the sky and the Aviation minister dose not resign

National highways are in a state of total disrepair and the minster of works dose not resign

Power output rises to it's highest since independence and the Minster of Power resigns

Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by thelastPope(m): 1:33am On Aug 29, 2012
CyberG:

Well, it's better to wait for the other side of the story before we go making definitive statements. Nonetheless, my point is very simple: a conflict of interest implies that the improvement ("doing well in one area"wink served his personal purpose in order to give him mass support before his companies acquires the asset. Should that be the case, he cannot be said to have done well because it was all a ruse to get the assets in his pocket. In any case the coming days will give us more details to arrive at a conclusion.

Are you saying if he didn't have a conflict of interest, he wouldn't have performed? Your logic is flawed bro. He was always going to perform because non performance was not an option. It was a win-win situation for him. Moreover, the power sector is like the most important index for which GEJ would be judged so there is serious attention there. The key sectors GEJ is so far not playing with are power, transport, agriculture, roads, education and oil. So far the best performances are in power, agriculture and transport/roads. Actually agriculture is the best right now but most of you can't appreciate it because you are all white collar, AC office, cofee drinking guys. There's a massive revolution going on there..
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 29, 2012
People shuld remember that a man who commited suicide won't be able to explain himself.
All these ppl who hs already passed a judgemet on this hardworking man...what if he actually resign frm the geo company...what if he made his interest known to the council ...what if Cabal are after him ...media is a tool that can easily be manipulated...what if his aim of resiging was to avoid the said clash of interest so he can bid on a plain ground...what if a certain cabal wants to colonise the power(esp in south east) jst like they colonised oil wells in south south. There r a lot of "if" we shuld hv a balanced view or better still wait for the full story to unfold

Hav sanusi resigned after donating millions to north or did el rufai resign after sharing abj land to his kins,hs minister of petroleum resigned.. .hw can ppl say he resigned to save his image,whether he resigns or nt the media will definitely do their job... there's somefin fishy going on and we need to keep our eyes wide open.
We r watching them...

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by nduchucks: 1:50am On Aug 29, 2012
Ogetogeo:

What has Angel Gabriel got to do with this?
Nigeria is now naira in your deluded brain abi?
What did Prof. Barth Nnaji steal from you?

Daft!

I believe you may be the daft one here. If you've ever tasted any kind of significant power, you'd know that no one gives such up abruptly and unceremoniously if all is well. I can bet my last N1 million that Mazi Nnaji's hands were caught in the cookie jar.

What a shame, what a disgrace!!! The man had started to make believers out of many of us until the Union started exposing him recently. I feel very ashamed on behalf of his fans.

As usual my people will continue to bury their heads in the sand, in a customary act of denial.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/648223_rak_jpg3be10a689dcae3eda0158a90666e866e
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by stagger: 1:51am On Aug 29, 2012
A-ZeD:

Egbin was commissioned in 1984.
I think ughelli power station was extended in 1991(A power station id delta had additional units added in 1991).

It was 1988.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 1:58am On Aug 29, 2012
Jon.Bee:
I share the ethusiasm of all of you.

Afterall, is this not the country that cannot refine its own crude but can launch Satellites i.e Nigsatcom 1,2 & very soon 3?
A country that cannot generate enough electricity for each nationals to light a 20 Watts bulb each?

Prof BARTH NNAJI that I know (I know very well, professionally)
, an erudite scholar
, a warm nice approachable guy
, but clueless about power sector set-up
, a cheap big talking illusionist
, a profiteer, a roundtripper, a kickback collector, tax collector/ extortionist bully a la nigerian IG of police. hence a big contributor to the mess e.g taking percentage from money released to phcn for projects
, a potential gainer from selling the NEPA to the cabal @ undervalued price

After revealing all this, do I still joined the rest of >90% of Nigerians ('somnabulists') in ''dreaming & hoping'' or is it ''suffering & smiling''?
NO!!!!

see the bolded
here's the truth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different / Kachikwu: I Will Resign If Nigeria Continues To Import Petrol By 2019 (Throwback / Nnamdi Kanu's Trial Yet To Start As Lawyers & Journalist Wait Outside The Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.