Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,555 members, 7,770,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:37 AM

Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (18279 Views)

Can I Exercise With Pregnancy / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by titilaelae(f): 5:52pm On Jan 02, 2008
I am pregnant and I have  multiple intra-uternine fibroids and they are quite big. My GP said he can only 'manage' it and see how far itn would go.Does any doctor in the house know what I can do to carry it to term?Or is there an alternative medicine I can use to at least suppress the growth of the fibroid and allow the fetus to grow, they are obviously competing for space and the poor fetus, though the legal occupant, is small against the foe. Somebody should pls come to my rescue. It's my first (not really, Ive lost 2 previously) and am not very young. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by ifyalways(f): 12:07am On Jan 03, 2008
the growth of fibroid are stimulated by hormones esp oestrogen.yes most women do have fibroid and still have normal pregnancy and delivery at most they might encounter miscarriage,early/premature labour,bleeding BUt even that is rare too.

lowering your oestrogen level in the body using GnRH analogues.these drugs shrink the fibroid. ask your doc though pls.
UAE ie uterine artery embolisation.the blood supply to the fibroid is blocked.

eat right,sleep well,worry less,you wud have your baby.if you cud carry it to these stage,then it is well.most women had fibroid and still had normal deliveries.follow your doctors advice and with God it wud be well.

wishing you a safe delivery too.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by ifyalways(f): 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2008
take foods rich/high in iron eg spinach.
iron supplements helps too. ask your do abt that.
beware of herbs that you are not sure of.always ask your doctor b4 embarking on anything
it is well sister.trust also in the lord God.nothing is impossible with him.if he has brought you this far,he wud bring it to perfection.i await the news of your safe delivery. wink
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by titilaelae(f): 4:37pm On Jan 03, 2008
@ifyalways, thanks a bunch for your encouragement. God bless you richly.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by ifyalways(f): 1:01am On Jan 04, 2008
you welcome dear.
may the joy of the lord be your strenght.
stay safe. kiss
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Nobody: 1:12am On Jan 04, 2008
too bad. You cant suppress the growth of the fibroids now as those same growth hormones are critical to the survival of ur baby.

With God on your side you should be able to carry ur baby to term, ensure you have frequent check ups and let ur doctor know if you suffer any bleeding.
I'm wondering how you have managed to this stage because fibroids can be extremely painful with a pregnancy.

Get the fibroids removed surgically once you have ur baby.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by titilaelae(f): 8:07am On Jan 04, 2008
Thanks David. I pray God in His mercy will help me this time.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by almondjoy(f): 2:31pm On Jan 04, 2008
titilaelae:

I am pregnant and I have  multiple intra-uternine fibroids and they are quite big. My GP said he can only 'manage' it and see how far itn would go.Does any doctor in the house know what I can do to carry it to term?Or is there an alternative medicine I can use to at least suppress the growth of the fibroid and allow the fetus to grow, they are obviously competing for space and the poor fetus, though the legal occupant, is small against the foe. Somebody should please come to my rescue. It's my first (not really, Ive lost 2 previously) and am not very young. Thanks.

Please if you can get pregnant and have healthy babies, DO NOT BOTHER THEM.

YOU ARE PREGNANT SO YOU CANNOT USE MOST DRUGS AT THIS TIME SINCE THEY MAY BE HARMFULL TO YOUR BABY.

Lupron is another drug used to shrink fibroids prior to surgery and only for use if you are going to have surgery to conserve blood loss.

Only bother them, if they bother you. Once you start messing with those things, they become something else.  Your GP is right.  You do not want to have scar tissue from multiple surgeries. They interfere with the intergrity of the uterus and the problems are worse than the fibriods themselves. Please consult wisely for the best option of treatment for you. One form of treatment does not suit everyone.

There is a drug called Indomethicin. Talk to your GP about it and see what the indications and contraindications are. You may have to be induced early to save you a lot of problems or you will do just fine. I have also SEEN tradtional herbs work wonders too.

Every case is so different. The fibroids may shrink after you have your babies.  Just watch out for "spotting" and anemia.  Sometimes the Folic Acid and multivitamins supposed to help your baby grow, also enrich the fibroids. It is really a tricky situation.  Surgery even after pregnancy should be the LAST RESORT.

You just have to listen to your GP and your body.

Goodluck and all the best.  Have a safe delivery. kiss
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 04, 2008
You cant take indomethacin while pregnant especially within the first 3 months.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by almondjoy(f): 2:55pm On Jan 04, 2008
davidylan:

You can't take indomethacin while pregnant especially within the first 3 months.

Happy New Year David. smiley

True.  Indomethecin is used in late stages of pregnancy.  At From 7 or 8 months to help with the fetal circulation to prevent intraventricular hemmorhage in the fetus.  Since most fetuses are compromised hemodynamically in utero as result of this compromised blood flow related to competing fibroids.

There is not a whole lot you can do with fibroids and pregnancy since most drugs beneficial to the woman may be detrimental to the fetus.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2008
happy new yr madam almondjoy wink

Good point. Lets pray titi's pregnancy makes it that far . . . fibroids can be a pain in the neck.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by almondjoy(f): 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2008
Tell me about it david. Those fibroid things are ugly, blood sucking bitches. angry

This is where God comes in, AND ONLY GOD. We wish titi well.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by ifyalways(f): 3:12pm On Jan 04, 2008
who said you dont learn in NL ? tongue
@ titi, trust in the lord God and by his grace,you wud have a safe delivery. kiss
goodluck.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by almondjoy(f): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2008
Ladies,  please have your kids early before these unwanted guest become landlords with potato heads inside your uterus!!!!!!  Just grab any man around oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!! cheesy

Please do not wait till you are 30 years old!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by titilaelae(f): 5:37pm On Jan 04, 2008
Thanks y'all.

almondjoy:

Ladies, please have your kids early before these unwanted guest become landlords with potato heads inside your uterus!!!!!! Just grab any man around oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!! cheesy

Please do not wait till you are 30 years old!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked

@Almondjoy, you're pretty right. I have not stoped and wont stop ringing it into the ears of any young woman I can reach to give it what it takes to marry early. This is one of the ills of late marriage. It's a harrowing experience to go through and I implore you all my sisters and friends on Nairaland to MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Pappyjesby(m): 1:14am On Jan 08, 2008
Your fibroid should have been removed before the pregnancy was established, now that you are pregnant
you may need to pray fervently, I wouldn't advise you to begin to take any drug for now simply becos of the baby
so that it will not affect the baby negatively and thereby adding to your problems.

Try as much as possible to keep your Doctor abreast concerning the updates relative to the pregnancy. He knows what
to do, should any complication arise. Meanwhile you can visit this site it will be helpful to you. Just click on the URL.

http://savepregnancyguide.com/%20/general/preparing-for-pregnancy/
http://savepregnancyguide.com/%20/general/early-pregnancy-symptoms/
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by kathyekiti: 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2008
I am very concerned at some of the things I've read on this post. The most concerning is the issue of indomethacin. This is NOT used late in pregnancy!!! It is contraindicated as it causes persistence of fetal circulation which is extremely dangerous and can lead to cardiovascular collapse.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by titilaelae(f): 5:06pm On Jan 10, 2008
Thanks Kathy, for your observation. I wouldn't take any drugs not prescribed by my doctor anyway.
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Goodcare(m): 12:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
This Herbs Stop Heavy Bleeding and melt Fibroids -07056737703
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by Gufty: 9:22am On Aug 13, 2014
@ my fellow women, plz tell me what t do in this situation. I ve four big fibriods (adenomyosis) and was told to operate but i didnt it started going bigger, it also affected my sex life cos making love with my man was very painful. I went to see many gynecologists and i was told same thing OPERATION. and i dont want to go under the knife. the last one i saw said that with the rate its growth that it will affect my inability to get pregnant, n read online about this case n the solution hysterectomy or live with try n get pregnant . The thing is m not married n since the pain became unbearable i went to see a gyn to operate it and unfortunately i discovered that there are four fibriods and one sac n was told i was pregnant n i just finished my monthly cycle. I did the blood pregnancy test, it came out negative. According to the gyn m 6weeks 4 days pregnant. I intend to keep the baby married or not n i intend to see it through till the very end.

Did i make the right decision, right now m scared cry cry cry cry
Re: Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids by MrKIZITO(m): 5:34am On May 16, 2015
Get instant Fibroid treatment without surgery from here http://www.supreme.com.ng/fibroid-treatment-without-surgery-in-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Invents A Water Device That Prevents Cholera And Typhoid Infections / The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience / Osun Deputy Governor Attends Opening Of Akin Ajayi Owned Osogbo Central Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.