Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers (5319 Views)

The Rise Of Christianity. The Misunderstanding Of Emperor Constantine / The Cowardice Of Christianity (re; The Cowardice Of Atheism) / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 8:47am On Aug 29, 2012
You wouldnt let a child be your president. You wouldnt let a child be your governor. You wouldnt let a child be your leader.

However, there is the phenomenon of child preachers in christianity- especially in pentecostal American churches. The lastest child preacher celebrity is one Ezekiel Stoddard who is only 11 years old but is an ordained minister in his family's church. Ezekiel preaches to a lot of people.

The question remains why someone would listen to advice on faith and human relationships from a prepubescent boy. Maybe it is the holy ghost maybe it is foolishness. I rest my case on the latter.

4 Likes

Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Avicenna: 8:59am On Aug 29, 2012
EDITED.

Christian child preachers.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 9:03am On Aug 29, 2012
so listening to people you are older than is a crime? Hw interesting can it get?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Avicenna: 10:11am On Aug 29, 2012
^listening to a 8 year old for life advice is........ You may complete it.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13am On Aug 29, 2012
wow chiristians are truly brain-washing-machines! shocked shocked
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 10:19am On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna: ^listening to a 8 year old for life advice is........ You may complete it.
and wh.o says its for life advise?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by cyrexx: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2012
thats one bad thing about religion:

step 1: demand that you deactivate your brain's reasoning mode to be a true follower.

step 2: demand you believe their "truths" by faith, however unreasonable it sounds.

if you can believe one thing by faith, then you can believe anything by faith.
otherwise, those christians wont believe an 11 year old is able to know about life more than experienced adults.

but i understand why, it because their "reasoning mode" has been effectively de-activated.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 10:54am On Aug 29, 2012
Bélla3: and wh.o says its for life advise?

Wow, you are really brinwashed!

What is religion about if not advise on how to live ones life and follow god
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:01am On Aug 29, 2012
cyrexx: thats one bad thing about religion:

step 1: demand that you deactivate your brain's reasoning mode to be a true follower.

step 2: demand you believe their "truths" by faith, however unreasonable it sounds.

if you can believe one thing by faith, then you can believe anything by faith.
otherwise, those christians wont believe an 11 year old is able to know about life more than experienced adults.

but i understand why, it because their "reasoning mode" has been effectively de-activated.

I only half agree with you. What you say is true but it only happens in one side of the brain. This is why some intelligent people can still be christian.

I have a theory that religion partitions the brain in many people. There is the rational side of the brain that rejects other religion/fairytales and allows christians to do their jobs eg student lawyer, politician. There is also the irrational side that is controlled by the religion that accepts any fairyfale the religion espouses.

I was like this as a christian. A very bright student who could demolish people in debates on economics, marketing and politics. However, I still believed that Jesus was from a vrigin mother. That partition came falling down like the berlin wall on the fateful day that I met a racist drunkard who told me that blacks are cursed and the worship in a religion so wicked to them. After reading about christianity and slavery, that partition in my mind was gone forever- no more mental gymnastics for christianity
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 11:16am On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:

grin
MacDaddy01:

;-D. MORALITY AT its PEAK.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:32am On Aug 29, 2012
Bélla3: grin;-D. MORALITY AT its PEAK.

Projection.

Why would you think that atheists jump on morality like you?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 11:37am On Aug 29, 2012
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by dorox(m): 11:53am On Aug 29, 2012
Bélla3: so listening to people you are older than is a crime? Hw interesting can it get?
As a christian it is my opinion that it is very wrong for a child of that age to be teaching adults. A child of that age can't posses much understanding of the scriptures beyond the very shallow if at all any. In other words beyond parroting the words jesus loves you and john 3:16 along with a few other boiler plate verses and the promise of miracles as well as speaking in a cacophonous tongues of gibberish, he knows nothing.
Jesus did not start his ministry until he became an adult, his deciples were all adults. You might ask about Jesus being in the temple when he was just twelve years old, but do realise that he was there to learn and not to teach like that little boy. It was the depth of his questions that the adults around him found amazing.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:54am On Aug 29, 2012
dorox:
As a christian it is my opinion that it is very wrong for a child of that age to be teaching adults. A child of that age can't posses much understanding of the scriptures beyond the very shallow if at all any. In other words beyond parroting the words jesus loves you and john 3:16 along with a few other boiler plate verses and the promise of miracles as well as speaking in a cacophonous tongues of gibberish, he knows nothing.
Jesus did not start his ministry until he became an adult, his deciples were all adults. You might ask about Jesus being in the temple when he was just twelve years old, but do realise that he was there to learn and not to teach like that little boy. It was the depth of his questions that the adults around him found amazing.

Gbam
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by JIL(m): 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
I'd rather listen to a toddler who preaches Christ than an old fool who says God does not exist.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
JIL: I'd rather listen to a toddler who preaches Christ than an old fool who says God does not exist.

shut your man-worship. jesus is not God. angry
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 1:33pm On Aug 29, 2012
JIL: I'd rather listen to a toddler who preaches Christ than an old fool who says God does not exist.

Wow....how foolish of you! grin
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by plaetton: 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2012
yeah, I remember when a 17 yr old mormon boy came to preach to me. I stopped him halfway and asked him whether he had ever read the Quoran, he said no. I asked whether had ever read the Vedas, of Confucious or of Paraselsus, he repelied that he had never heard of them. So I asked him what kinds of literature he has read to gain knowledge, replied that he had only been reading the bible.

So I mildly scolded him and asked him why for someone who was yet to attend college, who has read nothing outside the religion of his parents, what exactly qualified him to preach to anyone about life.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton: yeah, I remember when a 17 yr old mormon boy came to preach to me. I stopped him halfway and asked him whether he had ever read the Quoran, he said no. I asked whether had ever read the Vedas, of Confucious or of Paraselsus, he repelied that he had never heard of them. So I asked him what kinds of literature he has read to gain knowledge, replied that he had only been reading the bible.

So I mildly scolded him and asked him why for someone who was yet to attend college, who has read nothing outside the religion of his parents, what exactly qualified him to preach to anyone about life.

lol.......I have a soft spot for Mormon preachers. The are always calm when debating with you. I dont believer their BS but I like openness to debates!
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by cyrexx: 3:01pm On Aug 29, 2012

and that makes you a big brainless fool who has surrendered his reasoning faculties to his religion
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 7:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
dorox:
Even though i agree with you, and even think children shouldnt be baptised until they are 12 so they knw what they're initiated to. Am just amazed on why an athiest is bothered on who a grown adult shud listen to.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 7:23pm On Aug 29, 2012
Kai.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

shut your man-worship. jesus is not God. angry
going by his post, did he claim Jesus is nt God?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 7:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Projection.

Why would you think that atheists jump on morality like you?
i laugh in pijin engilish
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Avicenna: 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2012
Bélla3: Even though i agree with you, and even think children shouldnt be baptised until they are 12 so they knw what they're initiated to. Am just amazed on why an athiest is bothered on who a grown adult shud listen to.

I'm surprised. This isn't an atheist thing. Why would you listen to a Kid for life advice?

A grown adult that receives advice from such a source is irresponsible and must not be taken seriously.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 7:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

I'm surprised. This isn't an atheist thing. Why would you listen to a Kid for life advice?

A grown adult that receives advice from such a source is irresponsible and must not be taken seriously.
But you agree thats his business right?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Kay17: 8:06pm On Aug 29, 2012

Unnecessary sentiments.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by ijawkid(m): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
How old was Josiah when he became king??

I'm not in support of this boy laying hands on people or assuming d role of an overseer...that'll be very wrong...

But this lil boy sure can preach about God from house to house or to persons with some bible knowledge......

Sure he can!!!!!

But what I'm seeing on that pix is wrong......the child is suppose to be with his parents learning more bible stories...:-)

1 Like

Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Avicenna: 8:49pm On Aug 29, 2012
Bélla3: But you agree thats his business right?

But you agree he's irresponsible?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by okeyxyz(m): 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
This is christianity gone mad!! absolute madness!! wtf does a child know about life to assume the place of a preacher or any religious authority for the matter? In fact a child cannot be born again, let alone holding any spiritual or civil authority. Disgusting!!
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Bella3(f): 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

But you agree he's irresponsible?
in the opinion of many religionists atheists are irresponsible, does that make it true to you?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by okeyxyz(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
This thing has caused me to go to youtube and search child preachers. Mehn.., Christians are running mad everywhere. disgust!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Truth Concerning Temptation / A More reasonable Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity / Rev. Chris Oyakhilome Declares 2017, "A Year Of Flourishing"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.