Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,177 members, 7,780,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:15 AM

What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (22580 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
Somorin#1:
Thank you, we are done here.

We are?

I may not have run your particular brand of cross-drilled rotors, but I have run cross-drilled from one of the best in the business - Brembo. They fractured, and while yours are not made by Brembo, the same issues still stand, as long as they're made of steel.

The laws of physics when applied to steel, that's subject to friction, load and thermal stability is no respecter of Brand.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
Siena:

We are?

I may not have run your particular brand of cross-drilled rotors, but I have run cross-drilled from one of the best in the business - Brembo. They fractured, and while yours are not made by Brembo, the same issues still stand, as long as they're made of steel.

The laws of physics when applied to steel, that's subject to friction, load and thermal stability is no respecter of Brand.

Yes, we are. Or so I thought since you answered the original and only question I posed on this thread.

You and the other Guy went on an elaborate thesis on the laws of physics as it concerns thermal efficiency, cracks on steel caused by drilling (not casting). Any one that is an Autoist like me of course have heard about "potential" fatigue cracks on drilled discs. There is nothing new both of you have added to the discussion that "I" wasn't aware of already.

My question from the beginning, if you care to go back and read it, was that if the other Guy have "personal" documented proof of a crack occurring on my exact brand of discs.

Brembo is a good brand, I have had it on many of my cars, I have also had WildWood brakes (more common here in the USA).

You completely missed the whole basis of my argument. I am not debating wether or not drilled discs "may potentially" crack from the hole or not, I wanted the other Guy to show me "his personal proof", as opposed to the old wives tale that abound on the internet. Neither of you have offered that. That progress in metallurgy, drilling of discs could not have improved over the years shows signs of shortsightedness. Wildwood brakes offers drilled (not cast or forged) discs also and they are a premier provider of brake parts in the USA.

Like I said before, I don't drive my cars to the ground or wait till something breaks and I follow at least the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule when applicable and for severe duty applications. I inspect the brake system on my cars as well as other systems as part of that schedule. If the discs shows signs of visible cracks then I will replace them with another set as part of a successful maintenance schedule. No worries, life goes on.

Again, I am not on here on a prophecy to encourage any one to use any type of discs. I merely showed what I use and will continue to use.

Clearly those that are reading the thread will have heard the other Guys voice, your voice and mine. We are all adults here and must make decisions based on our own due diligence, I know I do and I am most comfortable with my choice. In fact I ordered another set of the same set up for my W201, that's how much I like my choice.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by isoboyea(m): 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2013
Volvo 240 has clocked 2mil on thesame engine,thats the highest millage i know and volvo collected the car and kept in her musuem n also a 96 passat has done over a million bt it was a diesel engine.maintainance
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Trac: 1:26am On Nov 28, 2013
isoboyea: Volvo 240 has clocked 2mil on thesame engine,thats the highest millage i know and volvo collected the car and kept in her musuem n also a 96 passat has done over a million bt it was a diesel engine.maintainance

There is an E-Classes and an S Class. A 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D at almost 3 million miles and 1970 280SE at more than 1 million. Mercedes stated many are around the one million mile mark.

I have seen an Accord with 400,000+ miles. Accord was roughly ten years old. There was also a Peugeot at the parking lot on campus with more than 450,000+ miles. This (both cars) was ten years ago approximately.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Rekete(m): 10:15am On Sep 04, 2017
Well, I just sold my Camry 1999 at over 270,000 miles, and it was still in great shape. Travels to any part of the country. I also have a corolla 2003 that most car dealers would sell as Belgium. It has done over 260,000 miles...not kilometers.

I have seen cars with less odometer reading, but are in bad shape. The bottom line is maintenance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges / How To Use The Recirculate Button In Your Vehicle / Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.