Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver (28697 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Lekki Expressway In Lagos (photos) / Victim Of Hit-And-Run Lying Critically At Ajah Roundabout, Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Download: The New Lagos Traffic Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by LailaIkeji1: 3:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
Officials of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit has impounded a bullion van and arrested its driver in Apapa area of Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria, for driving against traffic.
The bullion van driver, Seun Odukoya, faces one year jail term without an option of fine as a first offender for flouting the new Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2012 while the bullion van will be forfeited to the state government

The new traffic law says that any bullion van driver who drove against the flow of traffic on conviction by the court will be jailed for one year as a first offender and three years as subsequent offender without an option of fine while the van will be seized by the state government.

The bullion van was arrested on Creek Road, Apapa while conveying money to a new generation bank in the area.

Officials of the warehouse had to come with another van to transfer the money from the impounded van to the new generation bank.

The arrested driver, the first casualty of the new traffic law, and the van with the money were taken to the Taskforce office in Alausa while the driver will be arraigned in court

The bullion van, with registration number BV 171 BDG, Lagos is owned by the Banker’s Warehouse, while officials of the warehouse have been begging to get the van released but to no avail.

The driver of the bullion van, in a statement he made to the police, admitted that he drove against traffic on Creek Road, saying “I actually drove against traffic” and that he did it because the road was blocked.

When contacted, Taskforce Chairman, Bayo Sulaiman told P.M .NEWS that the new traffic law would be used to prosecute the driver in the court and that this would serve as deterrent to others who might want to toe the same line.

He said this was not the first time a bullion van had been arrested by the taskforce for driving against the traffic, saying that drivers of bullion vans belonging to the Banker’s Warehouse usually drive against traffic.

“We are telling other bullion van drivers to obey the law of the land. The law is not punitive but a corrective measure. The court will decide the fate of the driver,” he stated.

On whether pressure from the owner of the van would make the taskforce to release the vehicle, Sulaiman said it was not possible as it was only the court that could decide that.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/08/29/lagos-traffic-law-catches-bullion-van-driver/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by EkoIle1: 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
I wonder why the state didn't take the money away from them too.

We will have law and order in Lagos State. Eko o ni baje lai lai

5 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2012
Scape Goat!

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ben4ever(m): 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2012
what a good start. Who be next?
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by PaulJohn1: 3:51pm On Aug 29, 2012
But this bankers are wicked. They're begging for the release of the Bullion van and not even the driver cry

30 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by chinig(m): 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
Nice move.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by dont8(m): 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2012
If Lagos works, is a matter of time, Nigeria will surely get there.

8 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
dont8: If Lagos works, is a matter of time, Nigeria will surely get there.
Hopefully.... undecided
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Demdem(m): 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
Excellent Development.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ZUBY77(m): 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
Very good. Weldone Fash

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Chubhie: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2012
Officials of the warehouse had to come with another van to transfer the money from the impounded van to the new generation bank
Am thinking that the driver,van and money ought to be jailed together.

6 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
I'll seriously believe nobody is above this law when a police van packed with armed policemen is arrested. Police guys flout traffic laws like crazy.

6 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Maxymilliano(m): 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
Poor chap, i just hope the Bank will not stop his salary while he'll be serving the time, that will amount to double trouble.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by yungmullah: 5:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
ZUBY77: Very good. Weldone Fash
na good work really
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by miky(m): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2012
dont8: If Lagos works, is a matter of time, Nigeria will surely get there.

very sensible statement!!! i find it hard to believe the accused is a VICTIM.. when he actually said he drove against traffic to avoid road block!! i think he is an OFFENDER, we and u who ply the roads are the VICTIMS..

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by chucky234(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
Jail term is too stiff a punishment for a crime of this nature,monetary fine would have be ok.
Anyway nice one by Fash.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Exponental(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
wahala waa oooo. the poor driver drove against traffic to avoid being robbed and he paying 4 huge amt of money.
preventing bank wahala, jump into govt wahala.
why not arrest the money n leave d driver.

5 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
I love the new traffic law, but 1 year is too much for that offense. By the way, someone please help me tell PHCN to take light for my estate. Too much of everything is a disease.

11 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by suskumayaya(m): 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2012
Paul John: But this bankers are wicked. They're begging for the release of the Bullion van and not even the driver cry
Most of the drivers are seconded staff i.e not a direct staff of the bank. So The driver is on his own while the bullion van is the bank's property and hence, their action.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Afam4eva(m): 5:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.
I don't get you. You're comparing jungle justice to a law.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ebamma(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
unreasonable and wicked you say?if he had hit someone and maybe the person died will you have issued the same comments.

6 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Walexz02(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Atleast for a start
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by basisop(m): 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
Haba! 1 year jail term for driving against traffic? Too much for the crime.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
Paul John: But this bankers are wicked. They're begging for the release of the Bullion van and not even the driver cry

This post got me laughing hard cheesy, very true though

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Gizbee: 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
Three gbosa for Gov Fash.We are on the move with time will get there.Eko o ni bagee o bagee ti.:p

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by elimokhai(m): 5:35pm On Aug 29, 2012
When the son of a prominent politician is arrested for driving against traffic, then i'll believe in the new Lagos traffic law. Assuming Bola Tinubu's son/son in-law drives against traffic in Lagos state, what will happen?

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 29, 2012
Don't you know that the offence in question can cause someone's life? Well I think the judgement is worth the crime oo.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by cyril83(m): 5:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
Very soon this may lead to a serious war in lagos,d punishment is too harsh chei wtf...its nt like diz in developed countries

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by cyril83(m): 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
kunletiwoo: Don't you know that the offence in question can cause someone's life? Well I think the judgement is worth the crime oo.
how does d judgement worth d crime?...1 year jail term is fucking much,d offender is not a criminal forGodsake

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
I agree with Seun on this one but i know people disobey traffic laws everyday in Lagos so how come they are just catching a VICTIM which the bullion driver truely is..undecided

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by kjhova(m): 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
1 year jail term for a civic offence in Lagos State in the same Federation where Tafa Balogun & Mrs. Ibru bagged 6 months for criminal offences?! Something is sure wrong with this.

This law will not hold ground if contested up to the Supreme court. Oh how I miss Gani

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abia State Government Procures Innoson Vehicles For Security Operations(photos) / See The Hidden Meaning Behind These 10 Famous Car Logos / Appeal Court Upturns Lagos Court Decision On Number Plates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.