Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

No More Igbo Movies: Why? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (10512 Views)

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / Igbo movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Igbo Movies: Why? by pamelastit(f): 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2008
My intention is not to start the new year on a tribalistic note - abegi, it is 2008 and time for Nigerians to wake up and smell the coffee, but I have a question

a) Are Igbo movies still being produced in Nigeria. Everywhere I turn, there are Yoruba movies in Yoruba language, I can't find Igbo movies in Igbo language, what is up with that?

Well, apart from slave warrior which kicked ass- (great movie, must see),

So what is going on?
/
\\
Is it that Igbo people prefer to produce movies in other languages outside of theirs?

Or is the Igbo movie just not marketable?

If the second is the case - why is it?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
I myself would like an answer to that question. I thank God that Yoruba directors still make our movies in our tongue else I would have given up on the film industry a long time ago.

I remember during secondary school days how popular Igbo movies were, the stories were good and I used to love them almost as much as the Yoruba ones. Now you hardly see them anymore. Seems like the producers have sold out to ONLY cater to the English market which is sad.

1 Like

Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by pamelastit(f): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2008
ok,

me too I am waiting for an answer,
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by DisGuy: 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2008
not too marketable plus you hardly recognise the actors, hard to believe but some people buy films based on the faces on the cover wink

Most people outside of the Igbo speaking states don't actually understand Ibo
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by tboy1(m): 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2008
Becos they all have the same bloody story.Either those two small boys are being naughty, or a university chick likes a boy in his school, or a kid whose parents died when he/she was young and all of a sudden they'll write 15 or 20 years later on the screen grin grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by crazyT(m): 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2008
No More Igbo Movies: Why?

Because the producers of Igbo movies (those days) are the same producers of the English home movies (nowadays); they believe the English movies cut across more than Igbo language that is why they settled for English.

There was a period when the Yoruba movie maker’s wanted to join the English movies too but the Igbo marketers fought them with both tooth and nails claiming that the English genre is for the Igbo’s alone. (Though these claims are not pronounced openly, but all the players in the industry know this as a fact)

Ask TK (TundeKelani) and OGD (Tade Ogidan) they will tell you what they are going through in the hands of the Igbo marketers.  The marketers claim that the two (TK and OGD) should just stay with their parapo brothers and should not ventures into their territory.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2008
crazyT:

[
Ask TK (TundeKelani) and OGD (Tade Ogidan) they will tell you what they are going through in the hands of the Igbo marketers. The marketers claim that the two (TK and OGD) should just stay with their parapo brothers and should not ventures into their territory.

Good. I dont want Yoruba movies to end up being such predictable trash with horrible English slangs anyway.

Bloody sellouts, why cant they try to cater to both the English AND Igbo market?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by princeonx: 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2008
Before you pull a gun, I'm an Igbo too. Our problem is not only in the movies industry but also in our everyday life and homes. We don't appreciate our language/culture instead we try to claim the Oyibos that we're not. Everybody in Nigeria don't speak/understand Yoruba but they always have movies in their language! same if you go to the north but come down east our movies/music is either trying to be American or anywhere other than Africa. I know alot of Yoruba families here in U.S that their kids speak/understand Yoruba, I also have Yoruba friends that we speak nothing but Yoruba whenever we run into eachother while for we Igbos its different. The average igbo family home/abroad wan turn Oyibo! whenever I visit Nigeria, the Yorubas that know me always speak Yoruba to me while the Igbos will come with some "WZUP nonsense" Lets not even go into some of our girls with their own Oyibo cux that will set NL on fire!
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:31pm On Jan 03, 2008
You should probably add that none of charcaters that these Nollywood actors/actresses play EVER have indigenous names.

It's always something stupid like Duncan, Susan, Maxima, Drud, idiotic names. It must suck to be so consumed with self hatred that these producers would rather use white people's names then their own tribal names. pitiful
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kojeiwa(m): 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2008
The Igbos are smarter, they produce home videos in english, making them sell more. 95 percent of english nollywood

movies producers and actors are Igbos.  Nigerians are not the only people that watch out home videos, so other non Nigeria

viewers will be able to watch our movies too been that its was acted in English. English home video is more marketable.

I know some yoruba movies are subtitled,  but i don't think that is enough for non yoruba speakers. Igbo producers

keep up your good job, keep it ENGLISH, that is the way to go. Nigeria is a multi language country, you can't just keep

producing movies in your own dialet alone.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kayfunkly(f): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2008
no ego to fund the films in the real "igbo" way n aside that i guess they themselves are tired of the trash! to be serious i think  they need extra lessons on how well to produce their films,so that they can get end products like t.kelani n ogd
tongue
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kojeiwa(m): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2008
@thiefofheart

Why must you be so stuck to your own dialet. The Igbos do use their own name too, it just depend on the producer

and the type of movie.  Nigerians do have english name too, i know its very rare to see a yoruba person with an english

name but other non yoruba Nigerians do have an english name.

I think yoruba producers should stick to acting their movies in yoruba, because subtitled yoruba movies that i watch are too traditional

and too much juju stuff going on.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by EmekaNaija(m): 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2008
The answer to this question is simply obvious: It is a simple business strategy - English is needed to cater to most people in the market. Yoruba films are mostly popular in Lagos and the West. English movies cut across national boundaries. Since the producer's main aim is profits they try to sell to a larger audience.
I do not think this is a case of Igbos not valuing their language and culture because most of the themes/story line, settings and background characters are Igbo based or influenced by Igbo history. Haitians, jamaicans and carribeans here seem to know more Nigerian movies than i do.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by toshmann(m): 11:27pm On Jan 03, 2008
pamelastit:

My intention is not to start the new year on a tribalistic note - abegi, it is 2008 and time for Nigerians to wake up and smell the coffee,

abeg na wetin be this coffee wey eveybody de tell everybody make dem wake up to smell grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by DisGuy: 12:10am On Jan 04, 2008
Before you pull a gun, I'm an Igbo too.

amazing isnt it? people are scared to speak the truth because some willy willy will jump here start their shenanigans

keep up your good job, keep it ENGLISH, that is the way to go

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102666.0.html
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by DisGuy: 12:15am On Jan 04, 2008
kojeiwa:

@thiefofheart

Why must you be so stuck to your own dialet. The Igbos do use their own name too, it just depend on the producer

and the type of movie. Nigerians do have english name too, i know its very rare to see a yoruba person with an english

name but other non yoruba Nigerians do have an english name.

I think yoruba producers should stick to acting their movies in yoruba, because subtitled yoruba movies that i watch are too traditional

and too much juju stuff going on.

you are more likely to produce a good Nigerian film when you use the traditional/native language
one of the reason naija english film suck is because they do itk using other peoples language and ideas
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by faketan(m): 12:21am On Jan 04, 2008
toshmann:

abeg na wetin be this coffee wey eveybody de tell everybody make them wake up to smell grin

You no know? Guess well
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by babasin(m): 12:24am On Jan 04, 2008
you are more likely to produce a good Nigerian film when you use the traditional/native language
one of the reason naija english film suck is because they do itk using other peoples language and ideas

correct! a movie should be made in your mother language and it can be dumbed into other languages for others to view.

language is your culture; your everday life.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by 9ja4eva: 1:12am On Jan 04, 2008
I support
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kobe(m): 1:17am On Jan 04, 2008
correct!  a movie should be made in your mother language and it can be dumbed into other languages for others to view.

language is your culture; your everday life.

you can make a movie in a language, be it your mother language or not. But, speak clearly.

what matters more is a clear narrative, an understandable and easy to follow script, a beautiful cast, and solid production.

Greed is killing their diluted movie industry (in Nigeria)
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:38am On Jan 04, 2008
Dis Guy:

Thank you. kojeiwa and co are obviously in denial. I'm not against the English movies, I'm against the fact that they felt the need to eradict Igbo films COMPLETELY all in same lame attempt to gain more money. olojokokoro. Ignoring cultural movies for those that copy American plots. Pathetic.

Tunde Kelani's films eg Abeni have been shown in INTERNATIONAL film festivals/premieres. Please name one Nollywood movie that have achieved the same.

Bloody sellouts.  keep it english ko. keep it french ni. Why don't you tell Bollywood to ditch their language and keep it entirely English? Despite the fact that a good majority of their movies are NOT in English, Bollywood will always be ahead of Nollywood, what excuse do you have for that?

As for too much juju, I can name 23 movies in which Kanayo O. Kanayo & Pete Edochie have done that involves money rituals so please don't talk to me about "too juju" and the amount of movies that use Igbo names are dying. All I hear now is Julia, Kate, Stacy blah blah. I'm sure I've watched more of these movies than you so don't argue with me on that aspect either.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Nobody: 5:57am On Jan 04, 2008
@TOH

It's evident that you have grudges with Igbos. Whether it is out of jealousy or anything, i dont know. All i can tell you is to keep it up.

The fact remains that be it yoruba or nollywood movies, they are all the same story line and they all suck.
No be Nigeria? ooh please!
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by OgidiBoy(m): 6:10am On Jan 04, 2008
nuzo:

@TOH

It's evident that you have grudges with Igbos. Whether it is out of jealousy or anything, i don't know. All i can tell you is to keep it up.

The fact remains that be it yoruba or nollywood movies, they are all the same story line and they all suck.

Ha ha ha!!! you just finding out that TOH has a grudge over the Igbos, you must be very new to the forum. The woman is the biggest "AMOSU" I've ever seen. Anyways chizoba that's all.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kobe(m): 6:35am On Jan 04, 2008
nuzo:

TOH doesn't hate igbo people, she's just brash. She might come across as being too hypercritical, but that's because you prefer her to address the topic in a subtle tone. She's just being original.

More Yoruba people prefer yoruba films, because their actors are able to act more naturally, since they're speaking their native language. It lessens their consciousness of the language they're speaking, since they know they're not likely to mess up a word. Whereas, with the English actors, very many of them force their acts, force themselves to speak the English language, which they're not very good at, and worst of all, force themselves to speak in foreign accents. It takes them out of their comfort zone and it kills the film.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by kamsi(f): 7:50am On Jan 04, 2008
well I agree with everybody that wrote Igbo movies are no more, because producers make more money when it is made in English. Even ple who say yoruba movies are subtitled, the yoruba movies are not well subtitled this is because if one was to follow the subtitles one would miss so much of the conversation. And this puts off a lot of ple, a Jamaican once said to me that yoruba movies are not accurate in their subtitles and I observed that.

Though I would love more Igbo film because the acting is more real due to the fact that the actors are using a language that they are most comfortable with. And ple who wrote that Igbo actors are not good that is a balant lie. Where did the likes of Kenneth Okonkwo, Bob Manuel Udokwu, Ngozi Nwaneto, Kanayo O kanayo etc start their career. All of these English Nigeria movies has their root in Igbo movies it grew out of Igbo movies production.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by nigeriaone: 8:16am On Jan 04, 2008
http://NigeriaONE.com

I think another problem is the number of Buyers. While the Yoruba firms have cross beyoud Nigeria to other yoruba speaking countries. It would be difficult for Igbo to do the same. And the number of Yorubas speaker out number the Igbos speaker. That also is another factor.

Yoruba actor should be forced to do english movies at the same time do Yoruba movies.

I think Yoruba movies sells more than even nigeria english movies in the nigeria market . But I would advice the Yorubas actors to also get involve in English movies too. I think it is better for them to do both at the same time. They really do not need Igbo marketer to do that, as someone claim. If the content is pure and not worldy, they an use the redeemed church to sell it. On the Igbo issue , the problem i see is that express by prince see below,

It is the igbos themself that is the problem, I am yoruba, i speak igbo, When you run into an igbo man or woman and you speak igbo to them they really would switch over to English. Even I have started to forget words in igbo, so imagine what happen to kids born abroad. In my city Toronto, we use to have a Nigeria School. It closed down. Nigeria stop bringing their children to school i was told. too much wahala for the owners.

Igbo believe you are a villager if you do not speak english, an educated igbo shows how arrogant he is if he knows a few word in english and may be you can't. They believe it is a thing of status. Until igbo are proud of where they come from, it is a waste trying. Igbos look down on other igbo who do not speak english. that is not good. If you are not proud of what is yours , noone would be for you. They should learn from India.

Look at the food business abroad too, must igbo Nigeria food court or business cost down faster than one by Yorubas. An igboman would not be seen dead in one of those food places. He likes MAC with burger. In canada and the USA, igbo business do not make it because of lack of trust among the igbo. number of Nigeria churches in canada is over 40 and in the USA is over 600, UK over 90. So the population is there for business and the market. Second generation canadian or american are not most of the time counted as nigerian. In canada we have many Nigerian canadian where the media need talk about them been nigerian. Jero Iginla was canada men hockey captain, is a nigerian canadian, the boy get money, several national basketball player, Njoku. catherine Koleosho and many more. the system do not count second generation as Nigerian. So you can imagine how many it would be abroad.

prince_onx <Picture>Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why?
#7 on: Yesterday at 09:54:45 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you pull a gun, I'm an Igbo too. Our problem is not only in the movies industry but also in our everyday life and homes. We don't appreciate our language/culture instead we try to claim the Oyibos that we're not. Everybody in Nigeria don't speak/understand Yoruba but they always have movies in their language! same if you go to the north but come down east our movies/music is either trying to be American or anywhere other than Africa. I know alot of Yoruba families here in US that their kids speak/understand Yoruba, I also have Yoruba friends that we speak nothing but Yoruba whenever we run into eachother while for we Igbos its different. The average igbo family home/abroad wan turn Oyibo! whenever I visit Nigeria, the Yorubas that know me always speak Yoruba to me while the Igbos will come with some "WZUP nonsense" Lets not even go into some of our girls with their own Oyibo cux that will set Nairaland on fire!

Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 04, 2008
@Nigeriaone

Thanks for educating the Igbos who they are.
You seen to know the Igbos more than how you know yourself.
You are just a funny chap.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Soundmind(m): 9:58am On Jan 04, 2008
I am wondering as well.
I think it is because igbo do not value there culture. Not only on igbo movies, even in there dress, there language, music, greeting, etc.
Do not be surprise to know that igbo film sales like wide fire because any igbo man understands it without interpreter. I was surprise to find out that in Enugu Ezike ( a town in Enugu State) with about .5m people at home, more than half watch films more than twice a week. When ever igbo film is sloted in, every one gets interested.
I am an igbo man and is worried over this. God will help us that our language not to go into extinction in the next 12yrs as UNESCO predicted sometime ago.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Scholarnon(f): 10:22am On Jan 04, 2008
nuzo
Thanks for educating the Igbos who they are.
You seen to know the Igbos more than how you know yourself.
You are just a funny chap

I know that you are an igbo, why is it hard for you to agree wit @nigeriaone. What he was saying is very correct bc we igbos has truly forgotten where we came from all in the name of wanting to be like oyibo. Traveel down to the east you will undertsand better what am saying, that everybody in the village behaves differently all in the name that they dont want to be left behind in this madness of coping the oyibo type of life.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by smile4kenn(m): 10:23am On Jan 04, 2008
igbos use their culture to act english films, ok?  its desame thing
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 04, 2008
Scholarnon:

I know that you are an igbo, why is it hard for you to agree wit @nigeriaone. What he was saying is very correct bc we igbos has truly forgotten where we came from all in the name of wanting to be like oyibo. Traveel down to the east you will undertsand better what am saying, that everybody in the village behaves differently all in the name that they don't want to be left behind in this madness of coping the oyibo type of life.

My problem is when people generalize unreasonably.

For your info, i do not need to travel to where i live.

Most Nigerians from other tribes have come to hate the Igbos maybe because of their progressive nature, but when these Igbos want to be on their own, the issue of "one Nigeria" quickly springs up.

Soundmind:

I am wondering as well.
I think it is because igbo do not value there culture. Not only on igbo movies, even in there dress, there language, music, greeting, etc.
Do not be surprise to know that igbo film sales like wide fire because any igbo man understands it without interpreter. I was surprise to find out that in Enugu Ezike ( a town in Enugu State) with about .5m people at home, more than half watch films more than twice a week. When ever igbo film is sloted in, every one gets interested.
I am an igbo man and is worried over this. God will help us that our language not to go into extinction in the next 12yrs as UNESCO predicted sometime ago.
Cross check your write up before posting.
You said Igbos don't appreciate their movies and later you said people in Enugu gets interested whenever Igbo movies are on. That's very contradictory.

I also feel that you are trying to score a cheap point for your new tribe by saying that Igbos don't appreciate their dress sense, music, lang and greetings. Maybe you should let people know how many people you saw speaking English in the streets of Enugu or do you expect Igbos to bow to a fellow human being in the name of greeting? It is not part of our culture.

And for those who have decided to be western, i guess its their right to be, if they have found out that most of the African cultures does not make headway in human development.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by willy4: 12:46pm On Jan 04, 2008
Dis Guy:

amazing isnt it? people are scared to speak the truth because some willy willy will jump here start their shenanigans

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 TV Series To Watch / Discussion About Snuff R73 Compilation Keep Scrolling If Not Interested Thank Yo / Fast And Furious 7: Download And Watch The Full Hd Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.