Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi (8492 Views)

Why This Oyinbo Married A Nigerian Lady / The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / 20 Costly Mistakes That Married Men Make. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abeg go siddon . . like Nollywood stories are in anyway unique . . abeg make me hear word for that one.

I have an aunt who happens to be american and has been married over almost 30 years. She too had to leave her family to marry my uncle, and she ain't writing no long stories of it either.

The fact that somebody doesn't write book or story about what is unique about him/her should not make us condemn those who choose to do it. This is her story, and she is telling those who care to listen. This may definately not interest you, but what of millions of other people who appreciate small story like this.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2012
how is she surviving in jos are there plenty of white people there?

jos has a lot of white people.

the climate is temperate, so many expatriates prefer settling there.

there was a thread discussing jos a year or so ago:

https://www.nairaland.com/564335/please-snow-jos
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Sep 01, 2012
LFJ:

The fact that somebody doesn't write book or story about what is unique about him/her should not make us condemn those who choose to do it. This is her story, and she is telling those who care to listen. This may definately not interest you, but what of millions of other people who appreciate small story like this.

Again, you would have believe that marrying a human being who happens to be PAINTED A DIFFERENT COLOR THAN YOU ARE is UNIQUE for what you typed up there to make sense. Also you misuse the word UNIQUE there.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 8:35pm On Sep 01, 2012
coogar is so much disgracing his hometown on this thread.

what a pity, but that's his life sha.

i think what the lady needs to do now is marry him (coogar) and save him from his misery, because he's obviously in a miserable state. i guess the white woman he has currently, is having issues with him.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 8:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
[/quote]
Kobojunkie:

Again, you would have believe that marrying a human being who happens to be PAINTED A DIFFERENT COLOR THAN YOU ARE is UNIQUE for what you typed up there to make sense.

I can see where there is problem here, if you go back and read what I wrote, and match it with what you wrote you will see where the problem lies. What I feel is unique about me may not make meaning to you, and that is what I said, that if the woman feel that her case is unique and important to her to tell the world, i don't think we should condemn her for that. Let us be open to the argument of others and get the main point clear before we punch our keyboards.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Stuck? I think the misunderstanding here stems from the fact that you think she has to be suffering because she is living in Nigeria, She doesn't think so or she won't still be there.

nigeria is not hawaii....
whether she likes it there or not, she's stuck with her husband and family. this is jos we are talking about and she's been there in the last 7 years. the number of christians that have been killed there in that period cannot be less than 10,000.

She lives in Nigeria with hubby because she loves him (Plan A) however if things get too hard for or they have a falling out . . .she has the option of coming back to the US (Plan B). Since she is still there, one can conclude that everything is honky dory which it means at the MOMENT Plan A (living with the man she loves) is not as difficult as Plan B (coming to the US without the man she loves)

even if she finds nigeria hostile, she is not goin to walk away from her husband, is she? this is why i said she's stuck! stuck with the persecution of the christians in jos, stuck with nepa, stuck with lack of basic amenities, lack of security, etc.

The circumstances at the moment a decision is made determines how it is made.

she wants to be with her husband - that matters to her more than any other difficulty but it does not mean she's enjoying it!

Whaaaaaa the whaaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked shocked
Aiiiiiight , that's it. . . I'm out!! cheesy cheesy

better come back here and tutor her how a perfect housewife behaves!!

tpia@:
coogar is so much disgracing his hometown on this thread.

tpia, i would rather disgrace my hometown than choose a lethargic devil like yourself in the name of marrying a nigerian!

what a pity, but that's his life sha.

exactly - my life, my choice......

i think what the lady needs to do now is marry him (coogar) and save him from his misery, because he's obviously in a miserable state. i guess the white woman he has currently, is having issues with him.

tpia, don't be mad i prefer a female caucasian to a spastic minger like yourself na... why does it irk you that my wife is white? tpia, if i assemble all the super telescopes in this world to create another mega telescope, i still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in you
you epitomise all that is wrong in the 21st century nigerian female!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
LFJ:

Again, you would have believe that marrying a human being who happens to be PAINTED A DIFFERENT COLOR THAN YOU ARE is UNIQUE for what you typed up there to make sense.

I can see where there is problem here, if you go back and read what I wrote, and match it with what you wrote you will see where the problem lies. What I feel is unique about me may not make meaning to you, and that is what I said, that if the woman feel that her case is unique and important to her to tell the world, i don't think we should condemn her for that. Let us be open to the argument of others and get the main point clear before we punch our keyboards.

I see we like to deny the obvious . . Alright, so tell us , what makes this woman's story different from the story of many other couples, married and living in the same Jos, with at least one partner estranged from their family? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 8:49pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

shut up you kangaroo. angry
have you heard of any whites being caught up in the Jos inferno?

tpia is on a roll tonight - it must be your time of the month otherwise you don't normally brainfart this much. jos is worse than afghanistan in case you are low on memory chips!

you're so d.aft.

shut up trap, you disgusting knucklehead!

the only problem she could be facing now is the breakdown of security with the way that general's daughter was killed. doesn't bode well for the security situation in nigeria as a whole.

you're a tool!
so you expect this married woman to fly around nigeria to meet some unscrupulous strangers? tpia, your thought process is slower than the revolution of the earth!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I see we like to deny the obvious . . Alright, so tell us , what makes this woman's story different from the story of many other couples, married and living in the same Jos, with at least one partner estranged from their family? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

What is the obvious there to deny? we choose different way to leave our life. If I decided to write my story, good or bad, how should that be another person's problem? Let others who have story to tell come forward to tell us. What become the world history today is the story of individual and group. The major point here is, leave the woman and let her tell her story, her story is important to her and she is happy telling it, where then is the problem?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2012
LFJ:

What is obvious there to deny? we choose different way to leave our life. If I decided to write my story good or bad how should that be another person's problem. Let others who have story to tell come forward if they have one to tell. What become the world history today is the story of individual and group. The major point here is leave the woman and let her tell her story, her story is important to her and she is happy telling it, where then is the problem.

Well, I don't think her story is unique in anyway. If you don't like that I can state that easily and openly, then please leave my alone, and let me state my opinion.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2012
later some s.tupid nigerians will come here shouting about mungo park and how the whites told lies about him discovering the niger.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

errm, the fact that she is an individual and her experiences are unique to her just like those other couples consist of individuals too with different perspectives on life as well hence making their experiences unique to them as well. They could blog as well and they'd find an audience as well. It's called sharing, if you want no part, don't buy into it but the fact that we are even discussing this on here means that some people want to know more about her. You don't get to decide what piques people's interest and what doesn't. Maybe you find it mundane, run of the mill but that's you. You have every right to feel that way just as someone who finds it news worthy has every right to feel that way.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
shaybe baby:
errm, the fact that she is an individual and her experiences are unique to her just like those other couples consist of individuals too with different perspectives on life as well hence making their experiences unique to them as well. They could blog as well and they'd find an audience as well. It's called sharing, if you want no part, don't buy into it but the fact that we are even discussing this on here means that some people want to know more about her. You don't get to decide what piques people's interest and what doesn't. Maybe you find it mundane, run of the mill but that's you. You have every right to feel that way just as someone who finds it news worthy has every right to feel that way.

Correction -- NONE of the experiences expressed in the article are UNIQUE to any individual. Sure she may have a different perspective on life but the oohs and ahhss have been on her being white, disowned, married to a Nigerian, and living in Nigeria. Nothing UNIQUE in that list.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 9:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

gosh!!
you're so s.tupid.
and I am wasting my time!!

if you make 1 kobo for every single moment you have uttered an idiotic statement, you would be richer than mark zuckerberg by now........

bush goat, ode.
what an orangutan you are.

lmao @ bush goat!
tpia, you need deliverance - get help and get laid!!!

tpia@:
later some s.tupid nigerians will come here shouting about mungo park and how the whites told lies about him discovering the niger.

so who discovered river niger? that one-eyed king of your village?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 9:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Well, I don't think her story is unique in anyway. If you don't like that I can state that easily and openly, then please leave my alone, and let me state my opinion.

Good, it is not unique to you, it make a lot of meaning to me, because this is a free world and we should not bring unnecessary sentiment to what other people consider to be the challenge of their own life. If tomorrow, you decided to write about your life as a member of nairaland, and how you use this opportunity to make your voice heard. I will be foolish enough to say how is that important, it may not important to me, but you know why it is important and the reason why it should form part of you life history.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2012
LFJ:

Good, it is not unique to you, it make a lot of meaning to me, because this is a free world and we should not bring unnecessary sentiment to what other people consider to be the challenge of their own life. If tomorrow, you decided to write about your life as a member of nairaland, and how you use this opportunity to make your voice heard. I will be foolish enough to say how is that important, it may not important to me, but you know why it is important and the reason why it should form part of you life history.

IF you half believed the above statement in red, you would yourself admit that this story only not unique but the only reason you claim it is because she is White, nothing else.

Also, if I decided to write a story of my life on Nairaland, I would hope no eejit would assume my story to be a UNIQUE one given there are about a million or so other users who experience Nairaland too.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
we should not bring unnecessary sentiment to what other people consider to be the challenge of their own life.

maybe you need to preach to the kangaroo crew on the thread.

and while we're at it, can you tell me of any nigerian you know, who doesnt have challenges in their own life?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2012
shaybe baby:

excellent post.....
i find crystal's post particularly inspiring and i believe some other people would to - still can't understand why some nubians are particularly irked by her story. nigerians go abroad and also write about their experiences so what stops a white female in nigeria doing the same. she's not asked to be made a president or a minister on the back of her story!

i just think the black females on this thread are jealous that a female caucasian is getting the recognition they can never get.....if anyone feels like writing her story, by all means he/she should do so. the under appreciation is unnecessary!

tpia@:

and while we're at it, can you tell me of any nigerian you know, who doesnt have challenges in their own life?

if you have any challenge, then hit your keyboards and tell us the nature of your ailment there are charitable individuals on the net that would readily put a fraction of their income towards helping your trisomy 13, you mentally-handicapped peasant!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Correction -- NONE of the experiences expressed in the article are UNIQUE to any individual. Sure she may have a different perspective on life but the oohs and ahhss have been on her being white, disowned, married to a Nigerian, and living in Nigeria. Nothing UNIQUE in that list.

I take it that you consider yourself to a faceless person amongst the masses because nothing is unique about your experiences. That you are not an individual and your experiences in life don't matter because the same happens to everyone?
My life experiences are unique to me because they affect me and hence matter to me. So is hers and a lot of people's. So nothing UNIQUE in that list? That's to you. But I'm sure that she belongs in a minority in nigeria. I'd like to know what percentage such marriages in nigeria are out of the general population.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
shaybe baby:

I take it that you consider yourself to a faceless person amongst the masses because nothing is unique about your experiences. That you are not an individual and your experiences in life don't matter because the same happens to everyone?
My life experiences are unique to me because they affect me and hence matter to me. So is hers and a lot of people's. So nothing UNIQUE in that list? That's to you. But I'm sure that she belongs in a minority in nigeria. I'd like to know what percentage such marriages in nigeria are out of the general population.

Correction . . unlike you, my UNIQUENESS as an individual has absolutely nothing to do with the color of my skin, my gender,whether I belong to some societal minority group or not, or even my age, or how handsome I am. My uniqueness is not based on the nationality of who I am married to, or where I chose to live with this person. Those are things that do not define me as a person. No, It has more to do with who I am as a person and the choices I make as an individual to better my life and that of those around me.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 9:29pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 9:30pm On Sep 01, 2012
coogar:

excellent post.....
i find crystal's post particularly inspiring and i believe some other people would to - still can't understand why some nubians are particularly irked by her story. nigerians go abroad and also write about their experiences so what stops a white female in nigeria doing the same. she's not asked to be made a president or a minister on the back of her story!

i just think the black females on this thread are jealous that a female caucasian is getting the recognition they can never get.....if anyone feels like writing her story, by all means he/she should do so. the under appreciation is unnecessary!

You can't get recognition for a story that was never told. And when someone decides to tell theirs, they say their skin colour is why they have an audience. Which is true to some degree because it identifies her as different but it seems that the message about adapting to a way of life different to what she knows and dealing with the challenges successfully is not deemed noteworthy by some.
There are no ooh's and aah's here, more like "good on you mate".
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 9:30pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 9:36pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Correction . . unlike you, my UNIQUENESS as an individual has absolutely nothing to do with the color of my skin, my gender,whether I belong to some societal minority group or not, or even my age, or how handsome I am. My uniqueness is not based on the nationality of who I marry, or where I chose to live with this person. Those are things that do not define me as a person. No, It has more to do with who I am as a person and the choices I make as an individual to better my life and that of those around me.

Her race is a part of who is she,it explains the type of community she grew up in hence shaping who she is as an adult. Her story is based on the choices she made as an individual hence her life experiences, so by what you said above as making you unique, the same makes her unique.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

what people are trying to tell YOU and the orangutan is:

such marriages are not unusual

dont know how many languages this should be typed in apart from english, if english is the problem here.
But ofcourse you know what goes in such marriages because you are in one?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 9:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

do you think your life is pathetic?

what's pathetic about my life? i am having the best moment of my life as we speak whilst you are confused why your future is bleak! don't blame me for the unfortunate life you live!

like i said, stop embarassing nigeria- the lady herself no send you message, you ranting dinosaur-era paleothilic ant!!!

embarrass nigeria? i laugh in tpia.....
prostitutes like yourself have damaged nigeria's reputation long before i was born.....

if her matter concerns you that much then she has a blog where you can ululate for her, you dinosaur!

well - if her story disgusts you, what are you still doing on the thread? pitiful nigerians, no creative bone in their body but they all have a professorship in criticism. a woman like you, younger than you, managed to write her memoir and you are here picking holes in her story - are you not ashamed of yourself? when will this inferiority complex end with you gibbons?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
shaybe baby:

Her race is a part of who is she,it explains the type of community she grew up in hence shaping who she is as an adult. Her story is based on the choices she made as an individual hence her life experiences, so by what you said above as making you unique, the same makes her unique.

Like I said . . . my race has little or nothing to do with who I am so I have a hard time JUDGING others by their race. IF you feel race is so important, then I can how you would think the experiences of another human only PAINTED A DIFFERENT COLOR than you are, to be unique in that way.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

IF you half believed the above statement in red, you would yourself admit that this story only not unique but the only reason you claim it is because she is White, nothing else.

Also, if I decided to write a story of my life on Nairaland, I would hope no eejit would assume my story to be a UNIQUE one given there are about a million or so other users who experience Nairaland too.

I hope you will open you mind to see the point of others, whether her story is unique or not unique either to you or me is not the point here. The point is, if the woman feel that her story is unique to her and she want to tell us, let us leave her alone. This is not politics section where you have member of 40 laptop to fight with. This is family section, this may not be area of your competent. Let us appreciate the life of others, there are lessons to learn from the life of other people no matter how small. You may have heard these type of stories millions of time, this means you are not one of her audience, what of millions of others who for one reason or the other find this story useful to them.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On Sep 01, 2012
LFJ:
I hope you will open you mind to see the point of others, whether her story is unique or not unique either to you or me is not the point here. The point is, if the woman feel that her story is unique to her and she want to tell us, let us leave her alone. This is not politics section where you have member of 40 laptop to fight with. This is family section, this may not be area of your competent. Let us appreciate the life of others, there are lessons to learn from the life of other people no matter how small. You may have heard these type of stories millions of time, this means you are not one of her audience, what of millions of others who for one reason or the other find this story useful to them.

I think you should get off this thing you are on.

No one is stopping her from telling her story. NO ONE . . No one is stopping her from printing a book about her life, again, NO ONE.

Also, this is nairaland . . . if you have an issue with others posting their views openly, I would suggest you log out and go spend your time elsewhere, because this is an open forum for everyone to post what they want to.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is He Not Meeting Up To Expectations? Divorce Him! / Two-headed Manhood!! What Would You Do? / Wife! My Husband Rape Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.