Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Second-Hand Clothes! - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Second-Hand Clothes! (27894 Views)

Poll: Be honest. Do you sometimes buy second-hand clothes?

Yes!: 75% (125 votes)
No!: 24% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by hbrednic: 12:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
you are all wellcome to [b]aswani market[/b]the official hqtrs of okirika.
the quality you get is minus plus what you get in fifth avenue,with 1000%
price reduction.
remember to come early tuesday morning oooh. cool
nothing bad in used clothes.
used undies is a big big disgrace.

1 Like

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by ifyalways(f): 4:49pm On Jan 11, 2008
hehe not just awani market.
in the east every monday,wedesday and friday morning,try ahia ohuru in aba wink i made so much money then buying and reselling okirika first grade.
if am opportuned to go to lagos,i dont miss out going to yaba,aswani and even oshodi though the first grade usually comes from aswani.
okirika biz is really cool esp for undergrads,you make so much cool money.

@hbrednic its possible i know you ooo tongue
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by dcynosure(f): 4:56pm On Jan 11, 2008
I agree with OYB

I buy second hand cloths once in a while too. I think it depends on the person wearing them.

There is nothing wrong in buying second hand clothes; all you need do is to soak them properly, wash them, and iron them. By the time you are thru with the whole process, then, put on yourfragrance, people will never know the secret. Another thing is that; you might not get mass products of most second hand clothes, meanwhile, u could get alot of mass production from boutiques.

Most times, boutiques displays second hand clothes.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by chy4luv: 10:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i no talkooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by osisi5: 10:59pm On Jan 11, 2008
someone asked me about Okrika bails out of South Carolina,I don't know street numbers,we were just acquainted with some friends that knew some Aba boys in Spartanburg that traded in the stuff big time.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by topkin(m): 12:53am On Jan 12, 2008
I made a vow and I told God about it some 10 to 12 years ago that I will never buy a 2nd hand cloth again. God has been faithful.

I don't just think it's worth it> Besides the diseases u may get, how do u ever feel comfy in sm1 elses' clothes especially when u NEVER knew the person. weird
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by hbrednic: 1:05am On Jan 12, 2008
ifyalways:

hehe not just awani market.
in the east every monday,wedesday and friday morning,try ahia ohuru in aba  wink i made so much money then buying and reselling okirika first grade.
if am opportuned to go to lagos,i don't miss out going to yaba,aswani and even oshodi though the first grade usually comes from aswani.
okirika biz is really cool esp for undergrads,you make so much cool money.

@hbrednic its possible i know you ooo tongue

@ifyalways
from where? let me know cos i might know u aswell.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Mustay(m): 1:16am On Jan 12, 2008
dan--------ge---rooooooooooouuuuuuuuus!!!!!!!!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Iranoladun(f): 8:06pm On Jan 12, 2008

I used to buy second hand cloths; my first pair of jeans was a second hand bought from Oil Mill Market in Port Harcourt (the jeans last for more than a decade!). Nothing is wrong with buying second hand cloths as long as you wash, disinfect and iron it before you use it. However, you will not find me dead buying a second hand bag, shoe or undies!!!!!!!!! How do you disinfect bag and shoes? Another person underwear Very weird !!! No amount of washing/disinfectant or poverty will make me feel comfortable wearing another person's underwear (can't wear my siblings second hand shoes not to talk of total stranger due to risk of infection)!

I agree with some posters; most boutiques owner patronize second hand market in Naija and Thrift shops or Salvation Army shops abroad, wash, change the label on the cloths and hanged them up in their shops as brand new with exorbitant price tag!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 12, 2008
i dont know what the hue and cry is about. all these people condemning 2:1 okrika - can u actually tell the difference between your brand new and my quarter to new top/jeans? had one pair of ok jeans that i ABSOLUTELY loved cos it was a perfect fit. when it was alive, if to say OBJ invite me go aso-rock or house of assembly, na im i for wear. (may it's fibres rest in peace) grin

1 Like

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Sisikill: 12:38am On Jan 13, 2008
In my opinion, I don’t think buying second hand clothes is bad…if that’s what you can afford. The keeping up with the Jones mentality we have, is what gets us in trouble; everyone wants to show up the other person at the detriment of their purse.  The old saying, cut your coat according your size, still holds true today…if I can’t afford 1st hand clothes, why twist myself into a pretzel trying to get it when I can get good second hand clothes? Besides, it’s not like it’s going to have second hand stamped all over it, so everyone will know.  If you don’t tell anyone it is second hand, they will never know.

About the Infection aspect of it, I think it is a given that when you buy these kind of things…the first thing you do is wash them. They now make laundry soaps with disinfectant, so I don’t think the infection excuse really holds water but it does bring up something else… How many people bother washing their bikinis, bras and underwear immediately after buying it, I don't mean okirika underwear oh, I mean new ones from the stores and boutiques. Can you imagine how many people have worn them all in the pretext of "trying it on"? That's not even second hand…more like 10th hand yet some of us don't even bat an eye wearing them because we think it's new.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by mecussey(m): 11:16am On Jan 13, 2008
I see quality and affordability in second hand cloths, I prefer it to the new clothes we find here. For infection, I don't think there is any known virus or bacterial than can last on a surface more than 24hrs, if it must infect, must start with people that carry the cloth about
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Mustay(m): 2:41pm On Jan 13, 2008
u sure haven't heard from a medical expert 'cos when one was interviewed on a recent 2nd-hand documentary i listened to, it was far off from using ANTI-FUNGAL soaps
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by easy01(m): 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2008
well my opinion on this is that since is not everyone that has the money to buy new cloth well that's why they buy second hand clothes, i see nothing bad in it if it's properly sterilized
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by luvus: 8:47am On Jan 14, 2008
hi

for me tommorrow am travelling and one of my target is to get 2nd hands in kd (popular kasuwan beechi) well i have heard that even the boutique pple visit the mkt to get grade A 2nd hand clothes and treat it as new. so for me i will get it wash it, detoll it, iron em and wear them. but 4 undies noppppe.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 10:03am On Jan 14, 2008
Ofcus nope for second-hand undies grin. . . if na yes, i go. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by islanderee(m): 3:46pm On Jan 14, 2008
Looking at the presents Virus diseases around the globe Its advicesable to get NEW Clothes but the Economic does not allow it for the less privilege. Buying Second hand clothes and wash it before putting it on is O.K.

For me I prefer Both because there are some second hand that are more better to the New One.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 7:26pm On Jan 14, 2008
islanderee?? this ur name has a question mark o. . . cool
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 15, 2008
u know, it's funny; i swear i've heard someone say that they can buy second-hand panties, that it's better, et c, et c. nna men, my mouth open wide, then close o! even izal and gammalin 20 cannot justify wearing second hand panties!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by chistiana(f): 9:41am On Jan 15, 2008
okirika is da bomb.

it's not the matter of having money to buy new clothes, but buying quality .

i remember a friend telling me she bought okirika top for 1k3.

its good to patronize those okirika market once in a while.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by croft: 11:26am On Jan 15, 2008
Guys,
As most have said on this issue i am an advocate of new clothings but also there is an issue with new clothes as well .
what would we term as new , a top made in indonesia for a US company , clothes made in Dubai, clothes made in the UK , or clothes made in china
There is a speculation on cheap clothes and foot wear made in china that is causing sores on peoples bodies
as most eurpoean deigners do not produce clothings in their home countries because of the cost of production i.e high labor costs so they go to countries with low costs of production to reporduce these
new items at lower costs put on brand names and sell at exhorbitant prices
which will you term new and durable
1. A second hand salvatore ferragammo bag (1st grade)
2. A new atmosphere bag
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 11:41am On Jan 15, 2008
Chistiana welcome. . . wie av u been if i may ask?

croft. . . say that again o!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by MrsSiena1(f): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2008
na wa oh all dis hype about second hand clothes well me i dey buy am oh there is no problem sometimes when u buy new shoes for boutique before u know it d heels don come off. i don buy like that before reach 5 shoes sef for N3,000 and them no good so i just do about turn to OK and i swear i dey enjoy am well well. infact most people dey tink say na boutique i dey buy my clothes and sometims wen people see d clothes and ask me i go tell dem say dem send am to me from Jand abi them no send am afterall na Jand he come from abi.

@babydoll well if u want to buy in lagos apart from Yaba u can get at Katangowa i.e Super before Abule-Egba in lagos
i can buy second hand clothes, shoes and bags but not undies
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by MrsSiena1(f): 11:21am On Jan 16, 2008
somebody tell me one time say she go collectibles and one of their oga for there dey patronize Yaba
can u imagine
second hand for collectibles
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 12:01pm On Jan 16, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by tome1: 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2008
Na levels jo wink
If you never reach to buy new clothes then you ll go for second hand clothes or better put"Grade A" wink wink wink wink
I was once like that,its just a risk you cant avoid for that period grin grin grin
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by stalker(f): 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2008
to me:

Na levels jo wink
If you never reach to buy new clothes then you ll go for second hand clothes or better put"Grade A" wink wink wink wink
I was once like that,its just a risk you can't avoid for that period grin grin grin

Abegi, which levels. I know people who earn very well and still patronize the second hand clothes market. So leave levels alone
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by chistiana(f): 9:01am On Jan 17, 2008
@ efuah

Thanx baby, am doin fine right here what about u.

hey sis what about my husband? hope u taken good care of him.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2008
stalker:

Abegi, which levels. I know people who earn very well and still patronize the second hand clothes market. So leave levels alone
Very true, av been saying this that some rich folks do like this Second-hand clothes a lot, not bcus they r stingy or miser but because of the uniqueness in these commodities. Buying a second-hand clothes does not define u poor.

@Chistiana, am good darl. . . . ur husband is doing gr8 too wink
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by florishn(f): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2008
I dont think there is anything bad in buying second hand clothes all u have to do is to wash well before putting it on there are so many second hand clothes that will last longer than clothes from boutique second hand clothes are not meant for the poor u will see the rich people even buying second hand clothes and l also want you to know that second hand clothes has grades like someone said the price varies it depends on your level go to lagos u go see good secong hand clothes u go think na original clothes.A friend of mine bought second hand clothes u all need to see d clothes na authe clothes am not saying clothes from boutique is bad but there is nothing wrong in buying second hand clothes l also buy from boutique too,that my friend is rich to go to boutique but u need to see d second hand clothes if not that she told me l wont believe it is second hand clothes .the clothes is really nice
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by ayobase(m): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2008
second hand clothes
will always bring relief.

i am a student 4 God`s sake.

how much do i Get from home to spend
on brand authentic and not Aba clothes.

yes,it will stop somehow when i start working.

Okrika get grade oo!!!
there are some that are even more expensive
than brand new ones sef!!!

second hand clothes are always very durable.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 25, 2008
I wan enter Garki Market tomorrow self, go do bend down select oh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naomi Campbell's Visible Bald Patch Hair Disaster! / Reasons Why You Should Dress Well / Who Wore It Better; The Lady Or The Basket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.