Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,763 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Certification Should I Get? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Certification Should I Get? (1728 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Certification Should I Get? by aplomblass(f): 9:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
hi,am a 200l compt.sci student so am finkin of doing a certificate course pls which can i do and d price range pls.tanks
Re: What Certification Should I Get? by aplomblass(f): 10:32am On Sep 06, 2012
why don't i ave any reply?
Re: What Certification Should I Get? by naijaswag1: 12:41pm On Sep 06, 2012
At 200L in the university,what you need is some knowledge to get you prepared for the real world.In Nigeria we place certification before knowledge.As a lady I will advice you to go for database management courses.We have popular relational databases such as oracle rdbms(oracle),ms sql server(microsoft),sysbase(sap).If you have flair for programming,I will advice that you start learning oop java or c++ or python.When you have acquired some knowledge,you can get certified on any of them that you choose before you graduate.If you have flair for networking,the sky is your limit.Computer science students are so lucky today that in these times they can acquire professional knowledge that can get them ready for the real world.When I was in school in early 2000's,the web was at the point of explosion and alien to Nigeria.Cerification courses were as high as N500k and they only existed in Lagos and overseas but nowadays even a new model 3310 can browse the net and keep you informed and updated and also help you to learn and you can get certification courses as low as N50k.I learned programming solely by scurrying the web and laying my hands on online resources.

Hope you are smiley now!!!

1 Like

Re: What Certification Should I Get? by kodewrita(m): 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2012
Introduction:
As a beginner, start with the comptia exams. they are cheap, easy and give you quick practical skills that make you immediately useful but they are not the top certificates you will ultimately need but good on your CV and for your life.
Comptia N+: Easy introduction to computer networking. Later you can progress to Cisco courses if you so choose.
Comptia A+: Easy. Give you some practical skills relating to computers. You should be able to assemble and troubleshoot pcs once you finish with this.

Towards 300 and 400 level courses and your final year project:
MCSD: Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer. Try to complete the introductory exam on that track. Its a gentle introduction to programming.
Or go for Java: just the first exam. later you can choose to follow it all the way to the end.
Oracle: Complete the first exam(Its a gentle introduction to databases and PL SQL.)

Towards your final job:
ITIL: Give you an idea of how real IT departments work in most companies that are not IT firms and also how IT service companies work.
CISA: Most companies and IT units operate within strictly controlled risk environments. CISA will teach you those risks and controls and will make you a favoured target of consulting firms and oil companies(they must stay within really strict regulatory guidelines and are audited using these).
PMP: Project management skills and will help you climb the ladder when you get into any of those companies.

1 Like

Re: What Certification Should I Get? by tinnymerit(m): 9:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
kodewrita: Introduction:
As a beginner, start with the comptia exams. they are cheap, easy and give you quick practical skills that make you immediately useful but they are not the top certificates you will ultimately need but good on your CV and for your life.
Comptia N+: Easy introduction to computer networking. Later you can progress to Cisco courses if you so choose.
Comptia A+: Easy. Give you some practical skills relating to computers. You should be able to assemble and troubleshoot pcs once you finish with this.

Towards 300 and 400 level courses and your final year project:
MCSD: Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer. Try to complete the introductory exam on that track. Its a gentle introduction to programming.
Or go for Java: just the first exam. later you can choose to follow it all the way to the end.
Oracle: Complete the first exam(Its a gentle introduction to databases and PL SQL.)

Towards your final job:
ITIL: Give you an idea of how real IT departments work in most companies that are not IT firms and also how IT service companies work.
CISA: Most companies and IT units operate within strictly controlled risk environments. CISA will teach you those risks and controls and will make you a favoured target of consulting firms and oil companies(they must stay within really strict regulatory guidelines and are audited using these).
PMP: Project management skills and will help you climb the ladder when you get into any of those companies.
Pls any idea where i can start learning cisco courses from(online resources) am an IT student too.tinnymerit@yahoo.com.i stay in ibadan.tanks
Re: What Certification Should I Get? by okeyxyz(m): 3:38am On Sep 07, 2012
naija_swag:
As a lady I will advice you to go for database management courses...
Don't you think that's a rather silly way of "advising" somebody? What is it about her gender that should limit her career aspirations?

aplomb_lass:
hi,am a 200l compt.sci student so am finkin of doing a certificate course pls which can i do and d price range pls.tanks
You need to have some idea of what you'd like to do before somebody can effectively advise you. From the above, you'd not given us any clue about your aspirations besides that you are a computer science student. You could provide some idea of what professional settings/scenarios that inspire you, then somebody might inform you how to best go about it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dear Programmer, I Have An Idea / Help On Project And Seminar Topics! / Niit Vs Abtech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.